What's wrong with Woodie?

As some of you know, I have a forum semi-series of threads called "Why [character] sucks and how to fix them", and most of them spark controversy more often than not, so I want to make sure I nail it on the head this time.

I am going to make one about Woodie very very soon, so I want to hear what everyone thinks Woodie's problems are.

There are a plethora of proposed changes to Woodie, and I don't want that. Hell, Im making another just to add to the pile, I want to hear what you think is wrong with the character. (Edit: I mean gameplay-wise, shut up dave)

edit2: This thread is useless now since I have made the thread that needed this information.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/109725-why-woodie-sucks-and-how-to-fix-him/

Werebeaver just isn't that fun. I know transforming into a giant forest-devouring beaver uncontrollably isn't exactly the dictionary definition of convenience, but it'd be amazing to see a little more 'oomph' put into it.

Maybe if it was a bit rarer it'd be more enjoyable. A special little treat to go buck wild. Currently, you can just transform any time you'd like with little effort. Where's the fun in that?

Personally I think this all stems from his very concept of being a cursed being and how it directly conflicts with his supposed upside of wood gathering.

Want to use lucy to gather wood? You'll have to eat some of the product(more of an early game thing tbh but still a conflicting curse)

Want to use beaver form to farm? It's a curse so constant sanity drain, and you hit for less than spear damage, are squishy, and when you die in that form you dont turn back to woodie. You just die.

Don't want to use beaver form? Sorry dude you're just gonna have to prepare for that every 20 days for the rest of your world playtime. 

It wouldn't be so bad if wood gathering wasn't his only main perk/all he could do. He's like warly from singleplayer where his upsides negated his downsides and evened out to a meh character (although to be fair werebeaver still gathers wood decently fast)

Ofc if you name your threads "x character sucks" or "what's wrong with Woodie?" (really?) it's gonna generate controversy but every clickbait also works under the same principles. I think we had already lots of Woodie suggestions in other threads and see no point in posting all my suggestion here all over again. 

5 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Ofc if you name your threads "x character sucks" or "what's wrong with Woodie?" (really?) it's gonna generate controversy but every clickbait also works under the same principles. I think we had already lots of Woodie suggestions in other threads and see no point in posting all my suggestion here all over again. 

While the "why x sucks and how to fix them" are indeed clickbait, the question "Whats wrong with Woodie" is valid because he has faults that needs to be addressed.

Also, I specifically said in the OP that all of the other posts are brainstorming threads, while this one is meant to point out all of Woodie's problems, instead of focusing on "How to make Woodie good".

tl;dr read the post please

I think human form Woodie is pretty ok, I wouldn't change him. 

But I can't say that for werebeaver form. The sanity drain is way too much.

If a Crawling Horror spawns, ok, you can continue chopping trees or whatever, but if a Terrorbeak spawns... daaaamn, just run. RUN ! Because Werebeaver only deals 27.2 damage (spear: 34), and you cannot recover any health (without wortox) until you're back in human form.

Also, Werebeaver still freezes and overheat, but since you can't craft anything, you cannot make a campire.. so you are screwed. 

Spoiler

Lucy is bland.

She talks.

What makes her better than anyone else, huh? I can talk! Why does Woodie prefer Lucy over me? I can be the superior axe girl.
Ugh.

Oh and he can't swim. Woodie has at least 2/4s of a LEG! You need those to swim. He has the requirement. Even that chimpmonk thing that appears and pretends to be Woodie for a night has those... legs...? Leg... Leg...???

Alright, no legs. But a foot. That's something, right? Help me I'm tired. image.png.a2a954b98aec0e779e2b519635f78e5e.png

Spoiler

Image result for don't starve werebeaver

Make him swim and dance, spice up that Werebeaver form.

Him not being able to do crap is a serious downside when it comes to the Beaver.

16 minutes ago, Canis said:

tl;dr read the post please

LOL.... I read it ... and "what's wrong with Woodie" is also clickbait cuz there is much more wrong with him than good and you really know this... don't try to mask your clickbait... did you read the (really?) part i added?? It was supposed to indicate exactly that

the point is that we had already MANY threads with ideas about what is good about Woodie and whats bad... all together...

IMO there are very few things that make Woodie good in DST but logically you cannot talk about what is good about him without taking a look at whats not good... you know... logic xD

BUT just for the sake of the argument....

IMO: good things about Woodie in DST:

- you don't loose a day after transforming

- you don't drop most of your inventory on the floor on transformation

- decent health for a character

- the extra time for followers is ok-ish (but not nice enough to be relevant)

- Woodie's insulation is ok-ish... (not great to be relevant either, 45 insulation is not a game changer)

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

LOL.... I read it ... and "what's wrong with Woodie" is also clickbait cuz there is much more wrong with him than good and you really know this... don't try to mask your clickbait... did you read the (really?) part i added?? It was supposed to indicate exactly that

the point is that we had already MANY threads with ideas about what is good about Woodie and whats bad... all together...

IMO there are very few things that make Woodie good in DST but logically you cannot talk about what is good about him without taking a look at whats not good... you know... logic xD

BUT just for the sake of the argument....

IMO: good things about Woodie in DST:

- you don't loose a day after transforming

- you don't drop most of your inventory on the floor

- decent health for a character

- the extra time for followers is ok-ish (but not nice enough to be relevant)

- Woodie's insulation is ok-ish... (not great to be relevant either, 45 insulation is not a game changer)

This is the exact opposite point of this thread what are you doing stop

28 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

Capture.PNG.dfc9199f68126c34ec5568ccd84e952d.PNG

Woodie can't BUT the beaver can

old meme:

5d3fdaac63ade_werebeaverswimming1.thumb.jpg.033f1021e5f1641cda2540d7c4b59733.jpg

28 minutes ago, Canis said:

This is the exact opposite point of this thread what are you doing stop

no... don't wanna stop... sue me :p .... those were the good ones about Woodie in DST...

NOW the bad ones.... so many things are wrong with the beaver

• no wetness or cold insulation as werebeaver
  • can't swim as werebeaver.... it's a beaver Klei... 
  • annoying sanity drain as lumberjack werebeaver. He can't be that effective as lumberjack cuz he has to deal with monsters at the same time, even more so cuz his lower dmg makes killing shadow creatures as beaver painfully slow which brings to
  • lower dmg as werebeaver
  • very bad lumberjack for the title: too slow and cumbersome.
    • sanity drain slows him down considerably
    • gnawing is too slow
    • can't gnaw trees on one go without to having to get the stumps separately or clicking on it

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Woodie can't BUT the beaver can

What makes your think when you turn into a furry giantic beaver you magically get the mental capacity to swim?

If woodie can't do it in his normal body, then he can't do it as a beaver (different body structure, notice the small arms), and he has 100% control over the beaver form, there just isn't any evidence of woodie learning anything when he changes forms.

27 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

What makes your think when you turn into a furry giantic beaver you magically get the mental capacity to swim?

beavers are natural creatures that can swim... the size doesn't really matter to being able to swim for a furry animal

Polar-Bear-Swimming.jpg

If woodie can't do it in his normal body, then he can't do it as a beaver (different body structure, notice the small arms),

the small arms don't really play a central role on him being able to swim..... in fact larger arms can provide much larger range of movement underwater and if you look at werebeaver structure you can clearly see he has a very large tail that probably offers some support to keep him afloat

tumblr_inline_nryojdZbme1t0euzl_400.gif

and he has 100% control over the beaver form, there just isn't any evidence of woodie learning anything when he changes forms.

does he? in DS if you remember he works pretty much under the Werewolf prototypical idea that he doesn't remember what he did while he was transformed and wakes up as if he had a hangover not remembering anything...

besides, he cannot control 100% the beaver form really.... he cannot do most actions normal Woodie can: see the map, use inventory, craft, etc.

he descends into a much more animal-like state... and one of the traits of a natural beaver in the wild is his ability to swim. Ofc there is no hard evidence to say that as a Werebeaver he could swim in DST... but there is also no hard evidence either to prove the opposite: Woodie and Werebeaver are not the same but they inhabit the same bones. Besides, it just makes sense to being able to swim as werebeaver specially now with the addition of mater mechanics

Woodie probably doesn't remember he can swim as a beaver cuz he isn't really fully Woodie while in beaver form. He probably doesn't even remember what happened at all. 

20 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

If woodie can't do it in his normal body, then he can't do it as a beaver (different body structure, notice the small arms), and he has 100% control over the beaver form, there just isn't any evidence of woodie learning anything when he changes forms.

image.png.9ca2763de354db79a12d1f687b70beb4.png

11 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

beavers are natural creatures can swim... the size doesn't really matter to being able to swim for a furry animal

Ah, but Woodie isn’t natural, he’s supernatural. I mean, of course he has to be. A beaver mustache that perfect has to require some sort of magic, eh?

11 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

the small arms don't really play a central role on him being able to swim..... in fact larger arms can provide much larger range of movement and speed underwater and if you look at werebeaver structure you can clearly see he has a very large tail that probably offers some support to keep him afloatm

I doubt any arms would help with that incredibly hunched back of his. Could you imagine him trying to swim with those things? Talk about a one way ticket to Davy Jones.

6 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

Ah, but Woodie isn’t natural, he’s supernatural. I mean, of course he has to be. A beaver mustache that perfect has to require some sort of magic, eh?

I doubt any arms would help with that gun hunched back of his. Could you imagine him trying to swim with those things? Talk about a one way ticket to Davy Jones.

1595.giff7c64cbee9daf70e26488fb4b5aadf2f9971bcb2.jpg11_Bison-Swimming-the-Yellowstone-_River

I already mentioned he could use his beaver tail to help him stay afloat...

Not really gameplay affecting at all but Lucy should really have more dialogue :(

Other than that, I hope you could rile Lucy somehow, through a preferably difficult procedure. It would add a new skill-based strategy to most fights, which I feel DST's usually tedious combat could use by now... Although at that point, multiple Woodies could possibly just completely stunlock a single enemy?? I'm sure a solution to this could be made, though. And of course, chucking her should come at a fair cost; temporarily to speed maybe.

Edit: he sucks because he cant rile lucy ok

13 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

-animals swimming-

here's how i see it

Spoiler

Capture.jpg.63eb8428af6dc1d751b5f88b1afa7ed4.jpg

100% photorealistic demonstration using the most advanced software this planet has yet to see

Don't worry, you're not actually swimming with a rabid werebeaver right now, it's just an image.

11 minutes ago, Canis said:

This thread's getting side-tracked. if yall don't steer back on-topic, I'll call my dad JoeW on you.

Alright, alright, I know just the thing to get us back on track.

You know what the real problem is with Woodie? The most horrible, unbearable, heart wretching thing is about him?

Be warned, once you see, you'll never be able to forget.

Spoiler

5d3fe5a2b030b_NewCanvas.jpg.1d84fa13732631a44b02ee3990c56a65.jpg

Just now, YouKnowWho said:

here's how i see it

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.jpg.745036976a16cadbaae07860b98a78dc.jpg

Alright, alright, I know just the thing to get us back on track.

You know what the real problem is with Woodie? The most horrible, unbearable, heart wretching thing is about him?

Be warned, once you see, you'll never be able to forget.

Hide contents

5d3fe5a2b030b_NewCanvas.jpg.1d84fa13732631a44b02ee3990c56a65.jpg

THIS, YES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Klei, *please* re-draw his portrait for his rework.

It also strikes me as slightly uncharacteristic. Also, that doesn't really look like Woodie at all now that Im staring at it.

Archived