I'm worried about Klei

4 hours ago, Pedrito said:

how many days of inactivity has to have a topic to die? just wandering ;)

Please, tell me why a proper discussion like this is a bad thing? Gosshhh forbid an actual coversation on the forums. 

Comments like these are practically spam, add absolutely nothing to the thread, and are just overall very disheartening to the people taking part in the conversation. This thread was very civil and talked about important topics, which is a good thing as it can help Klei understand different players' perspectives on the game. If you really don't want to partake in it, nobody is forcing you to, but really, please don't let the big long walls of text scare you away. They are almost all worth reading and are not toxic at all. So, again why is this a bad thing?

Hmmm...I am SO not qualified (?) to answer a lot of this...which is probably exactly why I should.  Here's my perspective on all of this.

--First of all, all these overpowered to play new characters/tweaks to older ones only work with teams--and not just any teams.  Really coordinated ones of expert-level players.  If you usually play by yourself, as I do, this will not come up.  If you sometimes play with a friend and everybody just picks whoever they _like_ to play as the most, this will not come up.  Only specifically picking individual roles for everybody in the team and coordinating it ahead of time, as if you were doing a freaking raid boss at a scheduled time on a WoW server (or any other MMO game) or like how people would talk things out beforehand in the Forge/Gorge chatrooms, would you get this.  And even then, EVERYBODY has to really _know_ how to play the character, be good at that character, and be willing. 

We're talking coordination aplenty here.  You have to get the right people together, at the right time, as the right characters.  Fighting past time zones, schedules and more.  Also what if the one who's best at playing the warrior character lives the furthest away and will have the most lag, making them not so good at fighting anymore?  What if the designated Warly doesn't feel like being the cook right then?  This "Warly makes all the best possible versions of all his food and overpowers the already overpowered characters" thing wouldn't just happen by accident.  Either you'd have to have like, all your Steam friends be expert Don't Starve players with a lot of time on their hands, or this'd have to be PLANNED.  A lot.

--Secondly, all of these characters mentioned have abilities that only work WITH A _GROUP_.  Someone who plays by themselves will  never _get_ healed by a Wortox soul.  Someone who plays by themself will never get to experience Warly's wonderful cooking unless they're willing to starve to death constantly trying to get all of his fiddly, picky ingredients in time.  I'm not sure what Wormwood's OP gamebreaking team ability is; so far I've only casually wandered around planting every seed in the ground because I could.  (In other words I haven't seriously played him yet.  :P)  Personally I'm already unwilling to play Warly myself;  his inability to fill up his stomach quickly and efficiently on a cold, starving winter day by just EAT THE FREAKING MEATBALL ALREADY, GEEZ got me killed as him every time in Shipwrecked, and I unenjoyed it.  I did not have any fun at all.  He's a good concept but A.  _NOY_.  ING!!  (Yes, that _did_ need to be written as three words.)  Not everybody is gonna be willing to put up with that.  I'm not.  I'm barely able to keep up with Wigfrid and her "Get me a crockpot within three days or I beeping die" thing.   And while she can't nom on random stuff you pull out of the ground or off a bush, at least she CAN munch seperate random morsels she might find while wandering, less filling though they are. 

So your coordinated team will also have to have someone who is willing to...TAKE one for the team.  What I mean by this is every coordinated team of "You do this, you do that, you do this other thing" Forge rushing raid bossing types always has the FUN characters, the actiony ones...and the backup, buffing, needs-to-be-done-but-not-fun characters.  For me Warly is definitely one of those. He makes the buff potions in the back room, rather than getting to do the cool action stuff.

(Here I cut out stuff about how not everybody even HAS Wortox because money/he doesn't already come with any other version of the game you might've bought anyway, and how only people of a certain exact playstyle would even CARE about character "tiers".  They were valid/relevant to the thread as a _whole_, points, but got in the way of my main one.)

TL;DR:  Not everybody has friends, is an expert, has expert friends, or even WANTS to play multiplayer all the time. Also...most people just want to play Don't Starve not as a raid instance, but as a sanboxy survival roguelike.  Because..that's...kind of what it is?  Me, I play as who I _enjoy_ playing as.  I'm not gonna be someone who bores or annoys me to play, for hours and hours and hours.  You can barely talk me into doing that for a few MINUTES in one of the events, which now won't happen anymore.  Tiers schmeers, I laugh "in Willow main" : P

P.S.  If the game isn't difficult enough for you, just go into the worldgen settings and crank up dangerous stuff and crank down good stuff.  Voila!  "Hard Mode" that even console players can enjoy!

...Notorious

5 hours ago, Ohan said:

what a beautiful beast!!!!!!!!!!

where is this from?!!! is this new?!

Yes, as Ivo pointed, is apparently a new Turn of Tides boss roaming sea - a giant flying creature, an amalgamation of bird and fish (hinted by its name and shape) - assets of it have been dug via mining data-files of Beta ToT 354959 update.

Also some mined-data quotes of characters regarding this Marbitraus below:

Warly - N/A
Wigfrid - "A gargantuan foe approaches!"
Maxwell - "We're in for some trouble."
Webber - "Don't eat us!"
Wendy - "Death casts its black shadow upon us."
Wickerbottom - "The megafauna have set their eyes on us."
Willow - "Something big's coming!"
Wilson - "Uh-oh. Sea monsters!"
Winona - "Woah, that's a bigg'un!"
Wolfgang - "Wolfgang does not like scary shadow!"
Woodie - "Watch out, something's coming!"
Wormwood - N/A
Wortox - "Hyuyu, something's come to play!"
WX-78 - "A GIANT ORGANIC APPROACHES"

It seems this Marbitraus is (maybe) similar in dimensions and initial spawning presentation to Hamlet's BFB, only this one would actually be fight-able and I for one hope will be a very challenging and rewarding fight, both in terms of thrill and loot.

Cool discussion.

Don't forget that there is a subset of players who choose their characters not because they're OP, but because they like the character design (lore/aesthetic/voice etc.) or even just sentimental reasons. Yes, shocking, but we exist. :D

I've also never tried to kill a Mossling or a Bee Queen for one simple reason... they're too cute, and don't go out of their way to attack me like some mobs

That said, a Wendy buff would still be nice. Even just smarter Abigail management (similar to the countless Abi mods out there that make it easier to control when she aggroes) in the vanilla game would be fantastic, and is long overdue.

On 26.07.2019 at 4:49 AM, Boomsl0l said:

At the moment I don't think this is a huge issue but I fear that Klei is forgetting what DS is supposed to be about.

Times change, the meaning of games is beginning to change. We get Lore and new mechanics for the game, so the game starts to change. Especially DST-it's not a challenge, it's more fun with other players, who can help you. The balance suffers, but I think it will be corrected with new content.

Archived