[Game Update] - 355385

2 minutes ago, MeesterButts said:

Just in case you didn't know, there is already a shift modifier to help you build in straight lines! Your idea is still a very good one, however =)

Hahaha I never knew that; I had just reassigned my "f" key to the super zoom out but didn't look at the other options.

Falling sand and probably ice,snow regolith are destroying ladders now. Buried ladder = broken. fun times.

Edit: its also not showing the sand tile on top of the ladder. Glad I saw the sand drop:p

Edited by noric
  • Thanks 2

buildingDef.ReplacementTags.Add(GameTags.FloorTiles);

Let that be a lesson to all of us. Not just Klei, but all of us including what we request. Just because a change requires very little code to change doesn't mean it won't break stuff. It might be the highest count of different features I have seen breaking from changing just a single line of code.

I would love to be able to replace insulated tiles with insulated tiles of better material. Same with insulated and radiant pipes, but I think it would be a horrible idea to add support for it now. It might not be a difficult task to do, but there is no way we could get enough playtesting done prior to release. If it ain't downright broke, don't fix it less than a week prior to release.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Harlequin80 said:

I am getting some huge hangs now that I wasn't getting 24 hours ago.  My game will lag for about 5 seconds every minute or so.  I have had a similar pause on cycle change, but now it is too regular to play the game.

Save attached.

Arrakis.sav

linux ryzen 7x

I got this from a previous update, and Steam needed to be restarted.

Meanwhile, I just replaced all the ladders in my base with plastic ones and now my dupes don't believe ladders exist...uh oh.

Edit: Reloading makes dupes again recognize the existence of ladders on a per-ladder basis, it seems like they stop recognizing them when they are built over existing ladders (possibly tiles too? Haven't tested yet.)

Edited by Nebbie

4 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Better tooltips for the critters that eat plants directly

That's a relief. It's been so hard to convince others about how much certain critter eats. At some point, I decided to not explain if I suspect a high chance to turn into endless arguments.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, abud said:

That's a relief. It's been so hard to convince others about how much certain critter eats. At some point, I decided to not explain if I suspect a high chance to turn into endless arguments.

It's a welcome change. Pips suddenly are looking fantastic, 9% growth??? That's so little, with the 0.4kg I always thought it was 40% of a branch. 

It... is 9% of a branch right? Or is it 9% of a tree? (which would translate to... 40% of a branch, yeah i think it might be 9% tree)

Well at least Drecko food is now clear. It's nice to know that they consume different plants at different rates.

Edited by Wild Marker

Just now, Wild Marker said:

t... is 9% of a branch right? Or is it 9% of a tree?

It is 9 percent of a tree. But, what will happen to branches when tree growth reduced, I didn't test it yet.

2 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

Let that be a lesson to all of us. Not just Klei, but all of us including what we request. Just because a change requires very little code to change doesn't mean it won't break stuff. It might be the highest count of different features I have seen breaking from changing just a single line of code.

This, so much.  People who don't code don't even know.  Always love seeing "well I don't know how to code but this should be a very simple change".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hey folks,

The ladder/drywall conflict was not intended, we're going to roll back this change in tomorrow's hotfix. We'll come back to this one later. Thanks for the speedy feedback! :D 

Seems to also conflict with heavii-watt wire.  You can no longer build heavii-watt on top of the ladder and building a ladder on top of heavii-watt will result in it gaining the 'invalid placement' alert.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nebbie said:

I got this from a previous update, and Steam needed to be restarted.

Meanwhile, I just replaced all the ladders in my base with plastic ones and now my dupes don't believe ladders exist...uh oh.

Edit: Reloading makes dupes again recognize the existence of ladders on a per-ladder basis, it seems like they stop recognizing them when they are built over existing ladders (possibly tiles too? Haven't tested yet.)

Yep steam restart fixed.  Thanks

2 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Seems to also conflict with heavii-watt wire.  You can no longer build heavii-watt on top of the ladder and building a ladder on top of heavii-watt will result in it gaining the 'invalid placement' alert.

Well... is the invalid placement preventing the electricity to flow or the ladder to be used ? Was about to play today, but this could be critical for existing bases, and I will have to wait until the end of the day if it does :-/ (Klei journey is during my late evening, thanks Greenwich ^^)

Edited by OxCD

3 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

This, so much.  People who don't code don't even know.  Always love seeing "well I don't know how to code but this should be a very simple change".

Well, it was a simple change after all... just for once, like many times actually, the butterfly effect is real (just not the case with real butterflies).

The more complex and optimized a system, the better but at the same time it is also the worst when trying to change something since the tremors can be felt far and wide at unfathomable times. Simple bugs, that are on the lowest level, affecting nothing for they are at the end of the line, may be easily fixed without problem but if you have some flaw in the higher tier and want it to begone... just look at what they did with ladders and the recent changes noted with emoticons.

For the prior they had to change the system they already changed recently, where dry walls and tempshift plates can not be built behind tiles anymore while now they made ladders count as tiles which ruins heavy watt wires... which, to be frank, there I'd suggest to remove the heavy watt connector tiles and make the heavy watt wires like their smaller counterparts. It might have been a neat idea but if I had to choose, replacing tiles with ladders+vice versa and this gimmick which is more inconvenience than anything, I'd pick this little convenience.

8 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

I would love to be able to replace insulated tiles with insulated tiles of better material. Same with insulated and radiant pipes, but I think it would be a horrible idea to add support for it now. It might not be a difficult task to do, but there is no way we could get enough playtesting done prior to release. If it ain't downright broke, don't fix it less than a week prior to release.

I'm pretty sure the problems are caused by changing the tile layer since it is the main thing responsible for checking building rules ;)

new:

buildingDef.TileLayer = ObjectLayer.FoundationTile;
buildingDef.ReplacementLayer = ObjectLayer.ReplacementTile;

old:
buildingDef.TileLayer = ObjectLayer.LadderTile;
buildingDef.ReplacementLayer = ObjectLayer.ReplacementLadder;

but the point stands :p

Convenience of replacing ladders with tiles to me is worth watching my hand more closely to not break stuff. Really nice feature to have. But heavy wire behind ladders is so much a pattern already that I really hope it's an omission rather than intention.

Smileys being unambiguous in these notes is so nice (: The bug fix is great (can only imagine what it took if it arrives among the last patches), but the smileys are that spirit that makes your games your games (: Congrats and thanks to devs, to @mathmanican and to @FIXBUGFIXBUGFIX .

• Thanks 2

Bug with invisible sand (sorry, no time now to open new topic):

20190726121331_1.thumb.jpg.bcd8fa73b70010d7f74bc1d8b387431e.jpg

Potential scenario:

• Have a ladder in salt water
  • Have unexcavated sand above ladder
  • Dig up until sand falls onto ladder

Two more separate bugs:

• I built a medical bed and when I hover over dupes in the list tooltip says that dupe is "ineligible for this skill". That is absolutely unhelpful)
  • When my dupes were ill with hypothermia, heat stroke and food poisoning, I could not assign them to medical bed (both in proper room with table and toilet and standalone). But not sure if it is a bug, mechanics might have changed without me noticing...
Edited by AndreyKl

20 minutes ago, AndreyKl said:

When my dupes were ill with hypothermia, heat stroke and food poisoning, I could not assign them to medical bed (both in proper room with table and toilet and standalone)

We can't. Medical bed only for injuries, hope I'm wrong in this. For food poisoning use tablet from Apothecary

image.png.1ad51eb41097e82c3269b79bd3dad224.png

20 minutes ago, AndreyKl said:

I built a medical bed and when tooltip in the list over dupes says that dupe is "ineligible for this skill". That is absolutely unhelpful)

What are you trying to do? Make them rest in medical bed? Or you want to cure someone else? Screenshot at least will help.

For ladder, it will be rolled back next hotfix (probably tomorrow).

Edited by abud

Since there's only a few work days left before the official release, I'd really like to point out a couple of the few remaining major issue I think there is with the game.  These ones in particular because I think they're going to potentially cause a lot of problems with the influx of new players that's going to happen on the official release.

Firstly is that the listed difficulties for the asteroids is often very far off from the actual difficulties.  I've got a full thread discussing that stuff here:

While an alternative fix is to adjust the difficulties of the starts to make them match up with their intended orders, there might not be time for that before release now.  So the difficulty order of the different starts relative to one another at the moment should be:

• Terra and Oceania (easiest)
  • Verdante and Rime
  • Volcanea
  • ... (large difficulty gap)
  • Arboria
  • Aridio and The Badlands
  • Oasisse (hardest)

Secondly is how crippling the lack of gold is on The Badlands and Arboria in the late game (unless you get a gold volcano or a world trait that gives gold like geodes).  In fact, the bulk of the difficulty of those starts is mainly from you not having any gold on the map.  Without it you cannot use the oxylite refinery and are forced to ranch Pufts (which must be acquired from care packages on those maps) in order to fly petroleum rockets and use rocket boosters.  This drastically restricts rocketry and forces the player to just run steam rockets back and forth to the initial destinations until they can jump straight to liquid oxygen.  Afterwards, they cannot make super coolant at all unless they get a destination with gold.  Either adding some special source of gold for those maps or an alternative method of producing it from the oxylite refineries would be the quickest and dirtiest fix until there's time to implement a better solution.  Side note, this would lower the difficulty of Arboria and The Badlands if this were implemented.  The relative order would be the same, except that Aridio would be harder than The Badlands rather than being roughly on par.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AndreyKl said:
  • Have a ladder in salt water
  • Have unexcavated sand above ladder
  • Dig up until sand falls onto ladder

This will happens even out of liquid and in any other situations where falling sand/regolith hit bottom ladders

@Ipsquiggle,

Thanks to all at the studio for the fixes on matter conversion and liquid duplication, along with all the fun emojis. It's been a great few days. Here is one more, that apparently got fixed long ago, but resurfaced at some point (the metal cannon).  I made a crazy build, the Metal Printing Press, to hopefully help track it down, and I included a save with it. The bug was recently reported (again) here:

It resurface on reddit as well yesterday with a newbie who had seen several doors, after deconstruction, appear with metal tiles. Odd stuff. The crazy high melting bug probably won't affect new players much, but deconstructing doors to find solid tiles of metal is odd. 

Thanks for the awesome game. I've been waiting to add my review on steam till launch, as I want to boost sales then. :loyal:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hey folks,

The ladder/drywall conflict was not intended, we're going to roll back this change in tomorrow's hotfix. We'll come back to this one later. Thanks for the speedy feedback! :D 

Quick question - i'm confused about the wiring change (and whether you're including the wiring fix in this *drywall conflict*)

If you're rolling back the drywall conflict, then you're saying that ladders aren't considered as solid tiles surely?

If they're not solid tiles, we should be able to run heavy watt through them.

Other than that, excellent work on the ladder replacement, long overdue and very welcome fix. xox