Locavore/Carnivore

16 hours ago, fishoutofwater said:
On 12.9.2019 at 10:08 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

My advice is the same for any asteroid:

Hunt and kill shove voles ;)

I’ve done it last night, arboria carnivore but I’m not proud of it because I got lucky, I printed 12 shove voles egg, no save scumming.

I wonder how you did it, I tried to go up and hunt but I was having hard time dealing with oxygen pressure and no suit, by time I have suit my digging dupes still slow, taking to much time digging up and try to kill and then there are meteors too, so I bail and just hunt wild critters, but without that 12 eggs I’m sure I will have failed.

Ok, maybe hunting voles isn´t as self-explanatory as I thought.

Spoiler

Just for your information, I go for every achievement on any of my colonies.

=> I done carnivore 3 times now ;) [Earliest was cycle 87.]

Here is my plan of action:

1. Build one of my main ladders up till I reach the mafic rock / regolith layer.
  2. I build horizontal corridors which are still protected form meteors and falling regolith.
    • Afterwards I bring all found vole eggs back into my "core" base.
  3. Now I set an attack order on the complete surface. [Even some tiles below my corridor.]

=> My duplicants will see voles if they enter the corridor and my duplicants consider  fighting to be one of their highest priorities.

Spoiler

Is it optimal ? - Nope

Will your duplicants run a few times back and forth ? - Yes ...

But we only need a total of 10 20 voles [If I asume we cook all our meat.]

6 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:
  1. Build one of my main ladders up till I reach the mafic rock / regolith layer.

Back in the beta branch days, going to the space exposed aera would trigger the meteors. So now meteors are falling down from day 1?

@Argelle  They are falling day 1, but the regolith shield isn't obliterated by them anymore.

4 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

But we only need a total of 10 voles [If I asume we cook all our meat.]

20, actually. 16,000 kCal of meat becomes 20,000 kCal of BBQ.  that's 200,000 kCal of the 400,000 kCal you need.

Definitely a nice dent, but you'll need more meat.

16 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

If you're not worried about Locavore, that takes a huge hurdle out of the issue.  Plant a crapload of mealwood, shovel in the dreckos, and you're off to the races.

Actually, because of a bug where dreckos get filled up on only 25% mealwood growth, you can do this with only 1 to X amount of wild mealwood that can be planted with pips. I haven't done a full test yet with dreckos and pips, but people have noticed this in their playthroughs.

Spoiler

Edit. Don't you just hate it when you don't click page 2.

A suggestion for shove vole hunting would be to move the entire base to the surface to reduce travel time, i.e beds/toilets/kitchen. The rest can be wired or piped up there. Even 1 dupe living up there as the only one who can attack critters will save a significant amount of time, then batch move the food when you need to.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, Buttrey said:

You'll notice that the word locavore sounds similar to carnivore or herbivore. Just as carnivores eat meat and herbivores eat plants, locavores only eat foods that have been grown locally.

plz give me other suggestion TellSubway

I just did locavore / carnivore / super sustainable, in one playthrough...  It was a pain.  Got carnivore at cycle 98.  Keys were to demolish everything that could contain Muckroot or hatches.  Prioritize all the buried objects and don't remove wild plants.  One pip ranch early to get emergency mealwood helped too.  Definitely concur with the use of automation on incubators, 1 had 10 incubators functioning, each only active for 10% of the day staggered throughout the cycle and that was enough to keep them constantly lullabied.  I tried for shove voles, but couln't make it work.  Getting 2 diggers at the start really helps as well.

Archived