Some revamping of food spoilage and food preservation

I think food preservation as it is is pretty dull. There's several different ways but it will completely negate food spoilage by just having one of them, making it really easy to stockpile food forever. Lets rethink food spoilage a bit

Currently there's Sterile atmosphere and Refridgerated. Having one of these will reduce it by 100%. Usually every person who knows what they're doing will make a little pit of CO2 and put the ration boxes in there, now you have perfect food preservation. It outshines actually using a fridge or using thermoregulators to chill an area down.

I think sterile atmosphere and refridgerated should each respectively reduce food spoilage by 50%, having both of them will grant completely stopped food spoilage, making that in order to truly refrigerate something you need to both cool and have a sterile gas pit. This does that larger fridgeration places are actually a bigger commitment for larger colonies. 

I think germs should also slightly increase food spoilage. If a Slimelung, food poisoning or zombiespore is on a piece of food, it will add 10% staleness a cycle, as they are bacteria afterall. So even if you have perfect preservation it may still spoil if it gets germs on it, but most bacteria dies in refrigerated temps anyways.

Now lets talk about one of the preservated foods: Pickled Meal. Pickled Meal at the moment is rather pointless as it still spoils, it just takes longer to do so. It should never spoil, just like berry sludge, but it should also have a new bonus that it takes less space, as in, it weighs less and therefore fits more in Rationboxes/Fridges. This gives it an unique niche so you can store a lot in case you ever get into an emergency. Berry Sludge is also a preservated food but I believe it is fine as is.

Thats all I had to say, it would make storing food a little harder while preservated foods like sludge and pickled meal stand out a little more until you get better refridgeration

I like these ideas. I would change both to more like 80-90% instead of 50%. Plenty of people like me will still want to build the perfect storage at those numbers, but I feel 50% spoil rate is way too fast.

I am already imagining building my flash freezing conveyor system followed by a vacuum drop-off.

I agree mostly, but I think that chlorine atmosphere should still completely negate germ growth. Chlorine's a bit harder to get working for it, and is a "toxic" gas in-game, so it'd make sense if you need it to actually eliminate spoilage (while carbon dioxide just inhibits by reducing the types of things that can eat the food).

In real life, storing food in non-sterile low-oxygen conditions at normal temperatures (3-70 C) is actually really really dangerous, cause Clostridium botulinum produces the toxin deadliest to humans known in nature (lethal at 0.00000008g), although you can prevent it growing to begin with via certain things like cooking to at least 121 C or preserving food in acid.

Archived