The Gorge Recipe Book

The Gorge Recipe Book  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Gorge Recipe Book be part of the base game?

With Warly coming and bring a ton new recipes for both himself and others I think now would be the best time to talk about adding the Gorge recipe book to the base game, this would help both new and old players by giving us a in game way to see all the recipes, of course you would need to cook the food first to find out how to make it just like in the Gorge.
book.thumb.png.3078b5af5b37e84579bfc9db04926cdb.png

also for anyone wanting to see the recipes from the Gorge
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/gorge-recipe-book/

I would love to have it in the game. Would make it a lot easier to make food, don't need to rely on wiki or on notes outside of game.

Craftable book. How this could work:

When carrying the book, any dish you make will show the recipe in the book, if not carrying the book the recipe will not be added. Can copy recipes from 1 book and add to another.

As much I'd like for his to be in the game for the reasons you & MrKoopa mentioned, given that we didn't get this information in the Warly announcement post, I don't think we're going to get it. :'(

Which is a shame since we're getting new recipes, and instead of me messing around with the crockpot to try and discover what dishes we can make, I'll probably just end up looking in the lua or wiki to see how to make the recipes.

Yeah, but it is possible it still could be added in the update(as a suprise) or during a later date. It probably won't get added next week.

Even if it doesn't have any gorge recipes(since gorge recipes might not get added) I think people still would like it.

8 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

As much I'd like for his to be in the game for the reasons you & MrKoopa mentioned, given that we didn't get this information in the Warly announcement post, I don't think we're going to get it. :'(

JoeW said that along with Warly, some vegetables from the Gorge(like Toma Root and Garlic) will be introduced, so I'm guessing that some of the Gorge dishes will be in the base game.

8 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

JoeW said that along with Warly, some vegetables from the Gorge(like Toma Root and Garlic) will be introduced, so I'm guessing that some of the Gorge dishes will be in the base game.

It was more so the Gorge Recipe Book User Interface than it was about the Gorge dishes, since that's what @Smitty Inc. post is talking about. The Gorge dishes didn't really cross my mind cause it says in the post that we're getting new recipes, so it wasn't a concern, but said nothing about implementing said User Interface into the game. (Hopefully that clarifes what I was trying to say :p).

I do wonder, what are the reasons for why the book shouldn't be added?

I can't think of any. 

Those who voted no, can you give us reasons why you voted no? 

As most of us want the book it would be good to know a reason for why it shouldn't be in the game.

21 minutes ago, Terra_Zina said:

Yes pls. Then I can spend the night turning pages looking at all the recipes I'll never be able to make ever again and then cry myself to sleep knowing Gorge will never return.

Makes me sleep at night.

image.png.54be9d62f092b0cb166537e646214dae.png

41 minutes ago, MrKoopa said:

I do wonder, what are the reasons for why the book shouldn't be added?

I can't think of any. 

As most of us want the book it would be good to know a reason for why it shouldn't be in the game.

I think it should be added, with the information we were given for the upcoming update, the only ingredients that will be lacking to be able to make everything in the gorge book is:

syrup, (which i think could be substituted by honey in a lot of dishes, or maybe we could tap birch trees?) 

crabs, (which could be a passive mob that reside on the lunar islands) 

flour (wheat could be used in grinding mill Warly has to be made into flour)

and turnips, (really the only thing in gorge this was REQUIRED for was turnip cake, maybe this will be added in the future)

It really seems like the stuff is being set up for the gorge dishes to be integrated into the main game, at least I really hope they are. I certainly hope that most if not all of the recipes from gorge are being added into the game, makes me wonder if they'll add in the oven and grill as well.

1 minute ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

syrup, (which i think could be substituted by honey in a lot of dishes, or maybe we could tap birch trees?) 

Yeah, probably is changed to honey or can get from birch trees if added.

1 minute ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

crabs, (which could be a passive mob that reside on the lunar islands) 

Maybe or a mob similar to the Pebble Crabs?

3 minutes ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

flour (wheat could be used in grinding mill Warly has to be made into flour)

Think so

4 minutes ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

and turnips, (really the only thing in gorge this was REQUIRED for was turnip cake, maybe this will be added in the future)

Or it could be changed to different food item.

9 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

The Lune Trees are kind of very vaguely a little bit reminiscent of the sugarwood trees from the Gorge. Maybe they could be tapped for syrup instead.

12 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

They like the game to be hard, same reason why people don't like mods like Combined Status, etc.

Not me though, anything that gives the game clarity gets a yes from me. The nice design is a plus too.

That mechanic would definitely be a neat feature. Maybe crafting something like this in-game (like a map or something by a cartographer's table) and having to learn the different recipies either by trying to cook them yourself or witnessing other players make it.

Or if you just want to have it just like in Gorge.

On 2019-07-20 at 8:45 AM, Ezaroth said:

They like the game to be hard, same reason why people don't like mods like Combined Status, etc.

I think that is a strange reason, people could just choose to not craft the book and it is not like people already look at wiki or make notes.

If the book will be added the way some of us believe and you need to make each recipe, it really won't help much since you already have made them. It would also take 1 inventory space unless you can just stand near it like Maxwell's book or other items or structures. I would prefer it you would have to have it in the hand in order to use it.

I don't think it should be something you craft because then a lot of people won't end up knowing about it, it would be better if it stayed like how it was in the Gorge a GUI you can click to bring up like the map, it would start out with all the recipes blank and then as you cook you would fill it out.

for example: if you make meatballs and you used 3 berries and one meat the recipe book would now show meatballs and that recipe you used but it would not show the others i.e. 3 berries and one monster meat or 2 berries and 2 meat

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I missread the topic and assumed wrong, also I just woke up. I should have voted yes.

Remember kids, if you are sleepy, play safe, don't poll

Can confirm, 75% of my bad decisions happen past 8 PM and before 10 AM.

It also doesn't help that I usually check the forums around those times.

Anyways, Im really torn on having a recipe book. More so because half of me wants a book that saves all recipes you make throughout your entire DST career (ie it saves to your profile), while the other half wants it to save on a server-by-server basis

10 hours ago, Smitty Inc. said:

I don't think it should be something you craft because then a lot of people won't end up knowing about it

Then by that logic shouldnt several items in the game be removed or changed? You could have it in the food tab, avaiable to craft on the 1st level science machine but visible and locked when you have no science machine and not made prototype.

15 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

Then by that logic shouldnt several items in the game be removed or changed?

true, true, let me explain a bit better

if it becomes a craftable item many may see it as a inconvenience having to keep it on you every time you cook something just to fill it out. on top of that if the book gets reset every time you change server some may see it as useless to fill out. and if you can only see the book while in game and not on the start menu some may craft it, look at and see its all blank and not understand how to fill it out and just leave it on the ground and never bother with it.

but if it stays how it is right now where you can look at it in the main menu and pull it up at anytime while playing and it doesn't get reset per server, new players won't have a hard time understanding it and older players might not see it as useless, because it would automatically fill out as you play.

also it was really fun and satisfying to fill out the whole book in the Gorge and have it to that little pop up every time you found a new recipe.

17 hours ago, Smitty Inc. said:

true, true, let me explain a bit better

if it becomes a craftable item many may see it as a inconvenience having to keep it on you every time you cook something just to fill it out. on top of that if the book gets reset every time you change server some may see it as useless to fill out. and if you can only see the book while in game and not on the start menu some may craft it, look at and see its all blank and not understand how to fill it out and just leave it on the ground and never bother with it.

but if it stays how it is right now where you can look at it in the main menu and pull it up at anytime while playing and it doesn't get reset per server, new players won't have a hard time understanding it and older players might not see it as useless, because it would automatically fill out as you play.

also it was really fun and satisfying to fill out the whole book in the Gorge and have it to that little pop up every time you found a new recipe.

This was much better explanation.

Yes, I personally wouldn't like switching server to restart "discovering" recipes and I do like that people could just see all of the recipes but I would prefer to have it as a craftable book that one would discover the recipes, I might be one of few people who would rather have that. However I would rather have what you say than having no in-game recipe page.

It was fun that a lot of people tried to discover the different recipes. I do wonder, was there a reward or anything for discovering all of the recipes or was it just something fun to do? I don't remember.

i'd love for the Gorge style cooking to be in the game. Name of the game is dont' starve, and i'd love more recipes to not starve with!

Gorge was easily my favorite event the developers have done

Archived