Do the Dupes HAVE to drop whatever they're carrying as soon as the dinner bell or time to sleep happens?

I agree.     I find this super annoying as well. Especially when they're carrying eggs or critters for drop off.   It's like I have to rewrangle  or make sure the egg got dropped off   otherwise left unchecked they hatch somewhere random and die. 

What's also annoying is when they're going for oxygen so they end up dropping their items to get oxygen somewhere.          This is really annoying when they're on a ladder and dropping it to the bottom. 

When they're carrying slime   ice or bleechstone or oxyelite and they drop that   it just off gass. Or melt.  

I mean   it would be nice if they resume their task after catching breathe or when they return to work.

Ideally they should just continue to carry the item with them to bed or something. 

17 hours ago, mathmanican said:

What do we do though with poor Meep who, right before break started, picked up a block of regolith from the surface (after petting a slickster in the oil biome) and must cross 7+ biomes to deliver that regolith to a deodorizer right above his beloved slicksters. If he finishes the delivery then he'll miss his dinner, or worse he might tinkle on his babies...

Meep should finish his delivery and then hurl himself into magma to prevent polluted water in the crude oil tank. We can always print another Meep.

My vertical access tunnels are built with a staircase design 6 ladders up, tile to the right, 6 ladders up, tile to the left, etc, so that if a dupe drops something, it doesn't go very far, and I NEVER mine slime/bleach stone late in the cycle.

3 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

then hurl himself into magma

20 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Meep

Horrible! No Empathy! sigh,,, why should be me to take all hates? you force me to have bigger brain while you fed me mealwood and muckroot all the time???

xr2QUDF.gif.eeb0052ae328f525e55804a33767
whatever, i will jam half of your queued chores or gladly vomit on your water supplies!!!! O YEAH!!!!
4b1RZMA.gif.f7d599c2b801db52a02d206d20e919d8.gif

37 minutes ago, chasinji said:

whatever, i will jam half of your queued chores or gladly vomit on your water supplies!!!! O YEAH!!!!

Minor correction: Meep has a destructive stress response (this is true of all Meeps: stress responses are hard-coded), so rather than vomiting in my water reservoir, he will destroy a tile at the base of my vomit reservoir and pour the entire vat into the water reservoir.

Not to worry, though. I prepared for this eventuality.

0juJlo9.jpg

8 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

=> Let duplicants finish their task if the interruption would be just based on the schedule, but let them drop everything if it´s one of the "emergency triggers".

And make them miss their break? Dupes, it's time to unionize and fights for your rights! Do not listen to the evil corporation telling you that you have to work or die! The station will be perfectly fine even if you have 3 hours of break and 8 hours of sleep per day and 2 days off per week!

14 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

What's also annoying is when they're going for oxygen so they end up dropping their items to get oxygen somewhere.          This is really annoying when they're on a ladder and dropping it to the bottom. 

This can have a huge impact on new players if it goes unnoticed.  Not only does it waste a ton of dupe time, but it also results in a stack of materials at the bottom of the ladder.  I've seen dupes get into a loop where they are trying to get something from a CO2 pit, they pick up the item and part-way up the ladder they run out of breath, so they drop it and catch their breath, then they just repeat this until break time.  I usually notice rather quickly when this happens, but for a new player this could continue for quite some time before they notice.

7 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

This can have a huge impact on new players if it goes unnoticed.  Not only does it waste a ton of dupe time, but it also results in a stack of materials at the bottom of the ladder.  I've seen dupes get into a loop where they are trying to get something from a CO2 pit, they pick up the item and part-way up the ladder they run out of breath, so they drop it and catch their breath, then they just repeat this until break time.  I usually notice rather quickly when this happens, but for a new player this could continue for quite some time before they notice.

Yup. You've hit it on the nose.   This happens a lot.    Dupes trying to fetch something that is out of oxygen reach.  So they go and try to get it and then loops in trying to get oxygen.

And in some situations, the oxygen might be 'floating' back and forth  and so the dupe might jiggle back and forth trying to decide which oxygen pocket to go to that's closer and ends up suffocating.

Archived