minespatch

Mind My Gap a day

minespatch    53,830

Since I want to spread the word about this series I love, I decided to make a thread on it.

Due to some adult content, the series will be under spoilers if they're too adult. I will still post my views on the series:

Hope to hear your thoughts as you join me on this voyage I love so much.:wilson_smile:

• Like 1

ResettePlayer    3,799

I kept meaning to look it up sometime since you kept mentioning it, but it always slipped my mind. Pun?

Surreal stuff always impresses me so much, since my mind cannot help but create logical things with answers. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

minespatch    53,830
4 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

it always slipped my mind. Pun?

580c1dbe4e7ac_arielcloseupintensifies.png.634d98285db06467db7efa447adb81eb.pngOh yooooooooooou

Well, with this thread, I can play the series in order as well. I feel silly for not helping people get into the show by telling them "oh you can go any way you want but here's the particular order" which reminds me of the order the Edge Chronicles works as well.

This will be a retrospective for me as well as introducing those who missed out when the creator of the series was alive.

I'll be posting some supplimental material as well when I'm through with the episodes.:wilson_smile:

• Thanks 1

minespatch    53,830
Posted (edited)

bestiary_db_02.jpg?crc=4070949706

Map 1: Highway

Past: Diddybob notices something odd with the window on the set of their show "Living Interiors" on "The Open Horizon" network.

Present: Diddybob tries hitchhiking ashe travels the highway.

Music: 35 Together in a car for a purpose(Bonus Track).mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

So the episode starts as commentary as Diddybob paints a mental picture of his hitchhiking on the road. The first guy who picks him up seems to be a fan of the show that Diddybob walked out on previously but as of right now he does not know of the world outside of the studio.  The "diddybob's travels" stories are written as letters to his co-anchor Buddybob. These letters become important later on but you can really tell by the tone Diddybob gives that he regrets what he did to his platonic partner after he left the show.

We then turn to the past where the narrator, Virgil S. Horne introduces our protagonists as they do what they usually do on their show "Living Interior". In the show, they talk about a particular part of a home and make it a subject. This time they're talking about the Coffee Corner. I'm guessing they're talking about a area probably in the living room or a corner in the kitchen. It's pretty boring stuff but it's just a set up for the past content and what Diddybob used to do before he left. The way Rosto paints the brightness of the past kind of hints a sense of fakeness about the show and the tone that Virgil created.

The coffee corner will be revisited again in the Mountains episode of the series.

Returning to the so-called present, the fan dumps Diddybob somewhere on the road. Then another guy called "Zippolope Frankie" picked him up. The guy says the phrase "Destination, Dedication, and determination"... Which is repeated through the rest of the episode like a Madness Mantra.

Due to Rosto being Dutch, I can't tell if the phrase "Dragon popped his cherry. To me the dude was dragging up against a dude" means there was a gay sex scene that passed through my subconscious or it's just a rosto-ism that got lost in translation due to me not reading his mind. :p

Then it seemed like Diddybob was dropped off since there's another car he hitched on which involved a lady. Rosto goes for a British euphamism of calling her a "bird". She picked Diddybob up since she likes to meet people and then never saying a word again. They slept on a parking lot and despite the lady not being his interest, he would've slept with her if he could. I think he uses the previous guy's name as a pun for how he would've romanced her.

This relevation of depending on people taking him makes him wish for a car of his own to get through this long highway.

We turn to the past again where Diddybob questions the world around him to his partner. Unlike Diddybob, Buddybob loves his spoiled lifestyle of his life being served by forces unbeknowest them. Just being with Diddybob is enough as well as having a audience they can't see.

Finally we get to meet the first of Virgil's minions: Luce the Loop.

Diddybob already senses something is off about Luce but the car is nice. ITs a home away from home who's name is called "Rolling Home". The way Diddybob describes it, it feels like a RV, could probably be but since it's more like a audio drama, I'm just assuming. Since when we see the Rolling Home later on, it's not a RV but a normal looking car.

When Diddybob rhetorically asks "remember those", it's probably why Rosto included the subject of Living Interior on the Coffee Corner as a way to mirror the present that Diddybob is in.

A crossing happens(which will happen again in Rosto's short "Splintertime") and Rolling Home crashes. Diddybob sees this as a blessing from fate as he needed a car. "If I don't return here, she's yours', Luce tells Diddybob, so Didybob takes the car. He would've waited for a answer but Virgil's minion doesn't answer. He just dissapears.

We return to the past, where they talk about a couch. I'm guessing this is another episode of Living Interior. It might be a metaphor for how comfy the Rolling Home felt when Diddybob drove it. The way Diddybob mentions about wine feels like a metaphor for how Luce tempted Diddybob into the car. The episode of Living Interior ends with Virgil's voice talking about his network.

Destination, dedication, and determination comes back into play of the episode. Diddybob's already feeling comfy in the car he took. Yet by the next letter, Diddybob is regretting the car he took. Rolling Home is a demon car.

We see the first utterance of the gun that will be important later on when we get to the episode Mountains.

If you were curious as to why the cover image of the story has a tear, it's due to the fact Luce wrote Diddybob a ditty to mock him. Which applies to the meta nature of how much Virgil controls this story.

One more time to the past, Diddybob is feeling a bit more antsy as to who his making the show for them. Buddybob would prefer not to think on such things and just enjoy for the moment.

I love the pun "memory lane" as it acts as a metaphor for how the episode focuses on the road.

Sorry for not posting this yesterday, Greenlight internet decided to mess with my internet again.5bdab2482f28f_arielannoyed.png.f574231769332c303613fd8278456979.png

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

minespatch    53,830
Posted (edited)

bestiary_bb_02.jpg?crc=314225624

Episode 1: Highway

Past: We get a entire episode of Living Interior while Diddybob questions their world.

music: 36 Trailer Devil(Mind My Gap mix).mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

The episode starts with Virgil's theme song "The devil had it all thought out" while Virgil lays down a audio-picture of the current scenario as to what we're watching.

The demon is very sarcastic as we're being pulled further away from the sea side scenery to reveal it's just a fake prop from a window. "Every day is a fricking beautiful day", he says. It's his world, and he'll make sure you remember it. "Inside even more beautiful day", as he tries to praise his set.

We get some Christmas iconography as Virgil explains what he does for Didybob and Buddybob on the set. Y'see... He compares himself as Santa. Yet he is Virgil Satan Horne, as the s stands for stan and stan is the man.

We the viewer assume this is the usual scenario that the two anchormen go through. Saying good mornings and making sure they're ready.

Virgil tries to lay down more mental-pictures over how his world works.

The show starts.

This episode of Living Interior is about the window. This window will be what series will eventually focus on as it not just a window. Diddybob already notices something's wrong, despite Buddybob not aware of their situation.

Buddybob tries to break Diddybob's concentration, the two still on air. Due to the short run-time of the episode, we run to "commercials" quickly and Buddybob asks Diddybob what's wrong. Diddybob stresses about how the seaside is fake and that there's paper with staple-holes. Buddybob dismisses this and carries on the performance as the show continues.

The episode ends with the version of "Devil had it all thought out" with lyrics.

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

minespatch    53,830
Spoiler

Spoiled for mature themes and words

bestiary_jt_01.jpg?crc=11356632

Map2: water

Past: A episode of Living Interior about bathrooms.

Present: Diddybob enters a town filled with fishpeople and is forced into a marriage.

music: 07 crossborn shell.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

The opening of the chapter shows a news report about the present of Diddybob's current situation. The program shows a small retrospective of the bathroom episode of Living Interrior about bathrooms.

Diddybob is conservatively dressed in his traditional suit. Buddybob is otherwise ready to take a bath as he's dressed in a robe. The word "intimate" is emphasized in the beginning of the mini-episode. Focusing on the need to get away from it all and just enjoy a room that lets you keep to yourself. Another metaphor for the growing strained relationship between the two men.

Renewel and rebirth is a theme on the present half of the episode but since this is in the past, Diddybob has no idea how the Living Interior episode echoes their words.

They discuss the differences between showers and baths. Buddybob talks about how a bath is passive pond while Diddybob mentions the shower being like a river. The bathroom they're in is a combination of the two. To which we get to one of the more awkward moments of the show of Buddybob taking a bath in public.

If you're curious what is going on with the names and small squares featured, this webcomic was a interactive flash series. I feel the vimeo/video format is better for a passive viewing experience but sometimes there's things you'll miss if you don't check out the original webcomic.

Thee Wreckers track "Crossborn shell" plays as the backing as we get introduced to Johana. Diddybob's wife recalls how the local priest Wetbub(a minion of Virgil's) prophecized a man like Diddybob would rescue her and take her away like in a fairytale ever since she was little.

Due to Wetbub being a bastard just like his master, he tells Johana to seduce him into marraige and to acclimate him into the wetlands like the rest of the fishpeople in the town.

She can sense the urgency of Diddybob trying to forget his past while she seduces him and succeeds in doing so. She tries to make Diddybub think that the sex is no comittment but it unfortunately seems to be a comittment after Diddybob decides to stay.

With Diddybob's acclimation into the town, the villagers rename Diddybob as DiddyBUB to reference their revered priest("It made him godlike", which is how much Virgil's minion has deluded the villagers).

Diddybob hurries into the relationship and they were to be married in two days.

"I think I'm a child", Johana says. A suspicious statement which is to be revealed in the next interview.

We move to the next interview of Mister O(another character voiced by Virgil's voice actor Wrecker Wally). A wiseman of the village who doesn't remember his past.

He recalls how the wedding happened and the oddities of the event that took place. Wetbub, the master of ceremonies, helped Diddybob and Johana to their places to start the ritual.

The song of the chapter, The Crossborn Shell, is where the wedding takes place. It's also where the "fountain of youth" is. Very suspicious.

I'm not sure if Wetbub's "You **** you wed" is a declaration of guilt or a order to Diddybob and Mr. O isn't sure either. Wetbub sprinkles water from the fountain. The ritual is successful.

Johana is now Diddybob's SON.

The ring that Wetbub gave is probably where the male half of the baby came from since Mister O makes the ring sound important as a part of the ritual.

Diddybob is furious of course. No one told him that the people of this town were crazy. Diddybob's crazed actions cause the fishpeople to be alarmed. This is where Jona's nonstop crying starts. It becomes a issue until Map3.

Diddybob and his son are excommunicated from the village and forced on a boat. Jona's wailing still heard for two days out at sea.

The episode ends with articles from the local newspaper, the Waterlander. Supplimental material that give citations of what Johana and Mister O talk about. Wetbub's statement is a big hint of a part of who Virgil is as a character. You can tell by the way the latter is written.

• Like 1

minespatch    53,830
Posted (edited)

Back, Convention wiped me out, let's continue:

Spoiler

Spoilers for nudity and language.

bestiary_pp_01.jpg?crc=4144627893

Episode 2: Window Pain

Past: Diddybob see a hole in his window, giving him a new perspective on things.

music: 04 The Vision Tape.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

So, the cover features Diddybob's eye peeking through a hole in a piece of paper. What's confusing about this cover is that we're stuck in the studio, and from the cover, we're in the perspective of the outside looking back at him.

Diddybob is shown looking through the hole in the first scene. Shocked at what has appeared. Virgil mockingly calls him a "hero" despite the horrible things he'll do later on.

The peeking through the window is basically the apple to Diddybob's Adam. Seeing new things that he wouldn't get in the studio with buddybob. To me, the window kind of represents the internet in a way. A untouchable but interactive window to information.

The episode shifts from night to day. Gradually showing how tired Diddybob becomes. That is why there's a day and night button at the bottom right. It's from the flash version of the episode if you'd rather chose to try the interactive version.

As previous episodes pointed out, Diddybob became obsessed with how the window has paper. Obvious covering a truth he wanted to uncover literally.

The day carries on to Diddybob's exhausted look on his face. Living Interior's theme is Closets. Of course, a popular analogy to closets is secrets. Which seems to be a obvious motif to Diddybob's connection to the window and his nightly excursions with the window unbeknownst to Buddybob's clueless perception of the situation.

Buddybob tries to wake Diddybob up, confused by the dazed look of his partner. He tries to change the focus onto showcases. Diddybob, alerted, tries to point to Buddybob about how the window changed from a seaside to a mountain scenery. Buddybob doesn't care and tries to keep the episode on focus.

The first appearance of the Pink Planes. Sirens of the series. They represent Diddybob's repressed lust but they appear in other points in the show.

Virgil describes the perspective of Diddybob as a "nothing". Since "Nothing just never means nothing", which could apply to all our own perspectives. We bring things from our mind out into a blank tabula rasa and build from there.

He flirts with the image of his repressed sexuality. Wanting to be with them forever but only to be shot down by reality. Well... The reality of the universe of Mind My Gap, that is.

Buddybob finds out in the middle of the night of Diddybob's recurrant trips to the window. Diddybob frets to his partner about the window but they are interrupted by a loud ad heavy banging of the door without a knob.

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

minespatch    53,830
Spoiler

Spoiled for infanticide.

5d46363964b77_mindmygapmountainman.thumb.png.2c9be4e96e1695afd0800e30dbbe0bee.png

Map3: Mountains

Present: Diddybob deals with being a father for a short term.

music: 09 popgun.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

This chapter's cover shows the mixture of a sink drain and Diddybob still stuck in that boat from Map2. You can even hear the drain sounds in the summary before the episode starts.

I'm guessing due to scenery change, the ocean was in the sky and now the boat Diddybob is in now dropped onto a mountain range.

Diddybob is relieved that the crying of his baby merson Jona has stopped. Jona is probably bewildered by the halt of the boat besides the falling. Diddybob states they have been on the ocean for weeks, which probably shows why Diddybob is so tired.

Despite Diddybob finding his son ugly, I don't. Just looks like a baby to me.

After a moment of relief, Jona cries again. Here Diddybob's mental strain of holding himself from hurting his baby boy starts. holding back from doing something terrible.

We get another flashback to Living Interrior. A episode about a coffee corner. Memories to Diddybob's good times. He considers Buddybob a soulmate. Not a romantic partner but more of a platonic best friend.

The scene shifts to a flash game if you were playing the flash version of the episode. Things to make Jona stop crying. It seems like no matter what he does, Diddybob can't seem to make Jona stop.

One of Virgil's minions, the mountain man, comes over to berate Diddybob to shut the kid up. Diddybob doesn't think he can but the minion mentions the gun in Diddybob's valise. The former anchorman is horrified at the thought of killing his own son.

Nothing else in the case works. He finally gives into temptation of silence.
The motion happens twice. The first time is Diddybob having reservations about the deed and the second time he prepares for the horrible act.

Just before Diddybob gives in, he hears Jona's first and only words. "Pop." It's a double entendre. Diddybob being a father and the shot of the gun that would do in Jona.

The words of Buddybob echo in the silence as Diddybob eases in. Guilt would only settle in a minute later. His body standing to take in such a pleasurable silence until the silence hurts. Reminding him of what he had done.

To add comedy to injury, he says "He sleeps with the fishes", ironic coming that the baby is a merperson.

He walks off to the next episode. Screaming like a child, wanting to go back home to Buddybob.

• Like 1

minespatch    53,830

bestiary_bull_02.jpg?crc=3977167274

Episode 3: Maps and Plans

Past: Diddybob and Buddybob get a visitor from the outside

music: 03 This is me.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

We start with a cold opening. Diddybob and Buddybob chilled in terror at who could be knocking at their door. Buddybob hushes to Diddybob about opening the door but Diddybob can't. The door has no handle.

The door slowly opens and Diddybob asks their visitor if he's the devil based on his horns.

Fabulously, the stranger declines. He explains that he's their set dresser, a Interior decorator for their sets on their show. He suggests that the Bobs should go back to bed, explaining how their show keeps getting new sets daily to their ignorance.

Buddybob is surprised and delighted at this news, loving his work. Diddybob, on the other hand, is disgusted but intrigued to get answers out of this minotaur. The minotaur avoids Diddybob's questions about the outside, treating Buddybob with more respect over their interest on interior decorating.

Everytime Buddybob mentions memphis stove at this part, I tend to ask my father what it is. This might be a Netherlands euphamism for something. Dunno.

It looks like they'll have another episode about the kitchen by the way the minotaur talks on but Didybob is frustrated. Steaming off away from the two.

Unbeknownst to Buddybob and "the heavy bull", Diddybob does investigating into the minotaur's purse. Finding a map. A map to the outside. Despite it being a map, there was no cartography to behold. A blank sheet with a circle of a meaningful item that'll appear later.

Virgil, our narrator, keeps repeating how Diddybob is crying over this chance for freedom.

Another episode of Living Interior starts. Buddybob is about to announce their kitchen episode but Diddybo stubbornly declines.

He quits.

The show ends with the Living Interior's "Horizon" music going on.

• Like 1

minespatch    53,830

bestiary_af_01.jpg?crc=4044003869

Map4:sky/Anglobilly Feverson

Past: Diddybob and Buddybob get a visitor from the outside

music:12 anglobilly feverson.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

Today we got a twofer: A storyboard and the completed movie. You're in for a treat.

The storyboard was years in the making and Rosto used the webcomic to reveal to the public what his finished product was going to be. So here we go.

We open to Diddybob crashing in the desert for the night with the mountain man. Diddybob wants to commit suicide. The Mountain Man finds this ridiculous, so he tells Diddybob a allegory to teach him about what he'll be going through on his travels. A... "True" story.

As Mountain Man is a minion of Virgil, them sharing the same voice, Virgil treats this as a storyboard for his "film", which you can tell Virgil represents Rosto in looks and writing.

We open to Anglobilly as his upturned head glances at the hole in the sky with the eye staring back. We show the machine that anglobilly built. A Icarus-like machine with wings and a motor as he flies on his journey.

We're never explained as to why Anglobilly's face can spill out with photos of his memories. It's never explained in the final product as well, we'll just assumed it's a visual metaphor as he's throwing his past behind for his holy cause for his purpose.

Little Anglobilly of his past saw the eye in the sky where the sun is. Unlike others where their head is sideways, his head is formed upward.

The story is broken for meta as this is a storyboard of course. You'll see in the other synopsis.

We have a little ditty as a chapter break as we continue Anglobilly's journey. Where we are introduced to the flying bugs that are constantly hunted by birds. Anglobilly picks a bug by its butt and hopes for a answer but the bugs won't budge. The bug is angrily screaming as birds keep snatching the bugs from Anglobilly's hand.

There's a traumatic detail to this scene with the bugs having human-like blood. Anglobilly's machine unintentionally does a massacre to more bugs as Anglobilly continues his journey up.

We get another chapter, this time with Rosto's harpies: The pink planes. They try to seduce Anglobilly to stop but the man continues his journey. Undistracted by their feminine beauty. Their master, the Wind, manages to pause Anglobilly. Wondering where the man is going.

Like a TSA officer, the Wind asks for papers and licenses. Anglobilly doesn't have any making the Wind furious. Despite that, Anglobilly pushes on and tries to work against the nature that is Wind and almost fails in the fight.

Getting shipwrecked in the Wind's storm.

Anglobilly is up in the clouds. Lost but still alive. Barely hanging onto his life.

We get the final arc(with a hilarious mangling from Virgil). The angels("Children of the sky") find Anglobilly and assist him to his mission of meeting the hole in the sky. Helping him to a golden stairway.

This might seem like heaven, but we do not meet god. Merely a mean looking eye.

As usual, Anglobilly asks the eye to go through. The eye declines and laughs. Spitting fire at Anglobilly to torment the poor man.

Accepting his fate, Anglobilly smiles while being devoured by the flames.

Diddybob is aghast at the turn of events as the story closes. As though describing Diddybob, Mountain Man describes his story as "A ballad of a fool". Diddybob needs a reconfirmation about Anglobilly dying. Despite Mountain Man stating it being a "true" story, he shrugs it off by saying "It's probably all made up". We end with Mountain Man saying goodbye.

Official movie:
We arrive to seeing Diddybob sounding more stressed in this version. The stress of killing his child is emphasized in the final cut. Where we see Virgil's voice actor as Diddybob filmed and modified to match Rosto's drawings. Rosto himself plays the Mountain Man but Diddybob's actor still voices Virgil.

Wrecker Wally really gives his acting chops with showing the disgust of not being able to commit suicide. With the dubbing, you can't even tell it's dubbed. The closeup of Rosto's face is fun as well, just emphasizing how much of a devil he is. Due to the movie being made a while later, Wrecker Wally's voice had more ease into voicing the role, letting him trill his voice with a pleasure to it.

We get a closeup of the map and see how much Diddybob has filled on it so far in this timeline. Technically this is map 4 but we're still in Map 3's mountains. Hence why this chapter is called "Sky". You can see the word "sky" written but makes no sense since the sky is part of a story and not in Diddybob's direction.

Diddybob isn't convinced, so Virgil stubbornly tries to prove the story I already summarized.

In this version, there is no narration. You have to let the visuals speak for themselves, so please watch both versions to get the full story.

Unlike the storyboards, we see Anglobilly here giving a threat to the sky. "Don't go hiding on me, I'm coming for ya!", so that's a new feature not from the storyboards.

If you pause, you can see Diddybob/Wally's face transposed onto Anglobilly. Showing the connection between both characters.

We get to the scene of Anglobilly's memories. There are way more kids than just the one featured in the storyboards. We also get a inroduction of Anglobilly's mother, which expands from the storyboards. Protecting her boy from the bullies.

Time to time, Virgil's voice will pop up to narrate but it's not as prominant. It kind of helps but if you haven't watch the storyboards version, you'll be a bit off at the events.

The bloodshed of Anglobilly's flight through the bugs is emphasized as he flies upward. Then the scene with the pink planes. The actress who was filmed had to be comfortable being filmed nude while also posing frame by frame like this was stop motion.

Due to no narration here, we don't hear Virgil talking about the planes seducing or who the Wind is. We're just stuck with a giant eye staring at Anglobilly and his mouth emphasizing him being the Wind.

Once again, we're at the scene where Anglobilly doesn't have papers. Just like the pink planes, Rosto directed the actor of the Wind to stay still for several frames to get the filming just right.

There's a silly touch with Wind's fury where we get the pink planes flying and screaming away. As well as getting a full scene of Anglobilly's ascent into being shipwrecked.

A scene not from the storyboards is another look into Anglobilly's past where he preaches his belief about the hole in the sky. People ignore him as he tries his hardest to convince. One stranger shrugs the man off, leaving anglobilly on the floor in anger. Signaling his motivation for his earlier angry expression of "I'm coming for ya". There's even a scene that echos his childhood of little kids mocking him.

More so than the storyboards, we get a heavenly ambiance from the shipwrecked scene. The angels in this version are more skeletal in appearance. Their face being the cross between a huge grin and a stitched eye.

More angels come and they form a giant bird-like wings to lift him up to the stairs.

Feeling grateful, Anglobilly asks the eye about going through. Due to the quality, we get to see the laughter in all its glory.

We get some Christian symbolism of Anglobilly's sacrifice. Showing more memories from his past. His family crying for Anglobilly's departure. Even Anglobilly's wife is clinging on for him to say but his mission was more important.

The smile is shown, including the disturbing grin.

We return to Mountain Man with his visualized wicked grin. The storyboarded version doesn't display what the acting delivers. The credits are combined with a acoustic version of the song Anglobilly Feverson and Diddybob's anguished questions and eventual giving up at Mountain Man.

• Like 1