Mind My Gap a day

minespatch

Since I want to spread the word about this series I love, I decided to make a thread on it.

Due to some adult content, the series will be under spoilers if they're too adult. I will still post my views on the series:

Hope to hear your thoughts as you join me on this voyage I love so much.:wilson_smile:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

it always slipped my mind. Pun?

580c1dbe4e7ac_arielcloseupintensifies.png.634d98285db06467db7efa447adb81eb.pngOh yooooooooooou

Well, with this thread, I can play the series in order as well. I feel silly for not helping people get into the show by telling them "oh you can go any way you want but here's the particular order" which reminds me of the order the Edge Chronicles works as well.

This will be a retrospective for me as well as introducing those who missed out when the creator of the series was alive.

I'll be posting some supplimental material as well when I'm through with the episodes.:wilson_smile:

• Thanks 1

bestiary_db_02.jpg?crc=4070949706

Map 1: Highway

Past: Diddybob notices something odd with the window on the set of their show "Living Interiors" on "The Open Horizon" network.

Present: Diddybob tries hitchhiking ashe travels the highway.

Music: 35 Together in a car for a purpose(Bonus Track).mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

So the episode starts as commentary as Diddybob paints a mental picture of his hitchhiking on the road. The first guy who picks him up seems to be a fan of the show that Diddybob walked out on previously but as of right now he does not know of the world outside of the studio.  The "diddybob's travels" stories are written as letters to his co-anchor Buddybob. These letters become important later on but you can really tell by the tone Diddybob gives that he regrets what he did to his platonic partner after he left the show.

We then turn to the past where the narrator, Virgil S. Horne introduces our protagonists as they do what they usually do on their show "Living Interior". In the show, they talk about a particular part of a home and make it a subject. This time they're talking about the Coffee Corner. I'm guessing they're talking about a area probably in the living room or a corner in the kitchen. It's pretty boring stuff but it's just a set up for the past content and what Diddybob used to do before he left. The way Rosto paints the brightness of the past kind of hints a sense of fakeness about the show and the tone that Virgil created.

The coffee corner will be revisited again in the Mountains episode of the series.

Returning to the so-called present, the fan dumps Diddybob somewhere on the road. Then another guy called "Zippolope Frankie" picked him up. The guy says the phrase "Destination, Dedication, and determination"... Which is repeated through the rest of the episode like a Madness Mantra.

Due to Rosto being Dutch, I can't tell if the phrase "Dragon popped his cherry. To me the dude was dragging up against a dude" means there was a gay sex scene that passed through my subconscious or it's just a rosto-ism that got lost in translation due to me not reading his mind. :p

Then it seemed like Diddybob was dropped off since there's another car he hitched on which involved a lady. Rosto goes for a British euphamism of calling her a "bird". She picked Diddybob up since she likes to meet people and then never saying a word again. They slept on a parking lot and despite the lady not being his interest, he would've slept with her if he could. I think he uses the previous guy's name as a pun for how he would've romanced her.

This relevation of depending on people taking him makes him wish for a car of his own to get through this long highway.

We turn to the past again where Diddybob questions the world around him to his partner. Unlike Diddybob, Buddybob loves his spoiled lifestyle of his life being served by forces unbeknowest them. Just being with Diddybob is enough as well as having a audience they can't see.

Finally we get to meet the first of Virgil's minions: Luce the Loop.

Diddybob already senses something is off about Luce but the car is nice. ITs a home away from home who's name is called "Rolling Home". The way Diddybob describes it, it feels like a RV, could probably be but since it's more like a audio drama, I'm just assuming. Since when we see the Rolling Home later on, it's not a RV but a normal looking car.

When Diddybob rhetorically asks "remember those", it's probably why Rosto included the subject of Living Interior on the Coffee Corner as a way to mirror the present that Diddybob is in.

A crossing happens(which will happen again in Rosto's short "Splintertime") and Rolling Home crashes. Diddybob sees this as a blessing from fate as he needed a car. "If I don't return here, she's yours', Luce tells Diddybob, so Didybob takes the car. He would've waited for a answer but Virgil's minion doesn't answer. He just dissapears.

We return to the past, where they talk about a couch. I'm guessing this is another episode of Living Interior. It might be a metaphor for how comfy the Rolling Home felt when Diddybob drove it. The way Diddybob mentions about wine feels like a metaphor for how Luce tempted Diddybob into the car. The episode of Living Interior ends with Virgil's voice talking about his network.

Destination, dedication, and determination comes back into play of the episode. Diddybob's already feeling comfy in the car he took. Yet by the next letter, Diddybob is regretting the car he took. Rolling Home is a demon car.

We see the first utterance of the gun that will be important later on when we get to the episode Mountains.

If you were curious as to why the cover image of the story has a tear, it's due to the fact Luce wrote Diddybob a ditty to mock him. Which applies to the meta nature of how much Virgil controls this story.

One more time to the past, Diddybob is feeling a bit more antsy as to who his making the show for them. Buddybob would prefer not to think on such things and just enjoy for the moment.

I love the pun "memory lane" as it acts as a metaphor for how the episode focuses on the road.

Sorry for not posting this yesterday, Greenlight internet decided to mess with my internet again.5bdab2482f28f_arielannoyed.png.f574231769332c303613fd8278456979.png

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

bestiary_bb_02.jpg?crc=314225624

Episode 1: Highway

Past: We get a entire episode of Living Interior while Diddybob questions their world.

music: 36 Trailer Devil(Mind My Gap mix).mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

The episode starts with Virgil's theme song "The devil had it all thought out" while Virgil lays down a audio-picture of the current scenario as to what we're watching.

The demon is very sarcastic as we're being pulled further away from the sea side scenery to reveal it's just a fake prop from a window. "Every day is a fricking beautiful day", he says. It's his world, and he'll make sure you remember it. "Inside even more beautiful day", as he tries to praise his set.

We get some Christmas iconography as Virgil explains what he does for Didybob and Buddybob on the set. Y'see... He compares himself as Santa. Yet he is Virgil Satan Horne, as the s stands for stan and stan is the man.

We the viewer assume this is the usual scenario that the two anchormen go through. Saying good mornings and making sure they're ready.

Virgil tries to lay down more mental-pictures over how his world works.

The show starts.

This episode of Living Interior is about the window. This window will be what series will eventually focus on as it not just a window. Diddybob already notices something's wrong, despite Buddybob not aware of their situation.

Buddybob tries to break Diddybob's concentration, the two still on air. Due to the short run-time of the episode, we run to "commercials" quickly and Buddybob asks Diddybob what's wrong. Diddybob stresses about how the seaside is fake and that there's paper with staple-holes. Buddybob dismisses this and carries on the performance as the show continues.

The episode ends with the version of "Devil had it all thought out" with lyrics.

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Spoiled for mature themes and words

bestiary_jt_01.jpg?crc=11356632

Map2: water

Past: A episode of Living Interior about bathrooms.

Present: Diddybob enters a town filled with fishpeople and is forced into a marriage.

music: 07 crossborn shell.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

The opening of the chapter shows a news report about the present of Diddybob's current situation. The program shows a small retrospective of the bathroom episode of Living Interrior about bathrooms.

Diddybob is conservatively dressed in his traditional suit. Buddybob is otherwise ready to take a bath as he's dressed in a robe. The word "intimate" is emphasized in the beginning of the mini-episode. Focusing on the need to get away from it all and just enjoy a room that lets you keep to yourself. Another metaphor for the growing strained relationship between the two men.

Renewel and rebirth is a theme on the present half of the episode but since this is in the past, Diddybob has no idea how the Living Interior episode echoes their words.

They discuss the differences between showers and baths. Buddybob talks about how a bath is passive pond while Diddybob mentions the shower being like a river. The bathroom they're in is a combination of the two. To which we get to one of the more awkward moments of the show of Buddybob taking a bath in public.

If you're curious what is going on with the names and small squares featured, this webcomic was a interactive flash series. I feel the vimeo/video format is better for a passive viewing experience but sometimes there's things you'll miss if you don't check out the original webcomic.

Thee Wreckers track "Crossborn shell" plays as the backing as we get introduced to Johana. Diddybob's wife recalls how the local priest Wetbub(a minion of Virgil's) prophecized a man like Diddybob would rescue her and take her away like in a fairytale ever since she was little.

Due to Wetbub being a bastard just like his master, he tells Johana to seduce him into marraige and to acclimate him into the wetlands like the rest of the fishpeople in the town.

She can sense the urgency of Diddybob trying to forget his past while she seduces him and succeeds in doing so. She tries to make Diddybub think that the sex is no comittment but it unfortunately seems to be a comittment after Diddybob decides to stay.

With Diddybob's acclimation into the town, the villagers rename Diddybob as DiddyBUB to reference their revered priest("It made him godlike", which is how much Virgil's minion has deluded the villagers).

Diddybob hurries into the relationship and they were to be married in two days.

"I think I'm a child", Johana says. A suspicious statement which is to be revealed in the next interview.

We move to the next interview of Mister O(another character voiced by Virgil's voice actor Wrecker Wally). A wiseman of the village who doesn't remember his past.

He recalls how the wedding happened and the oddities of the event that took place. Wetbub, the master of ceremonies, helped Diddybob and Johana to their places to start the ritual.

The song of the chapter, The Crossborn Shell, is where the wedding takes place. It's also where the "fountain of youth" is. Very suspicious.

I'm not sure if Wetbub's "You **** you wed" is a declaration of guilt or a order to Diddybob and Mr. O isn't sure either. Wetbub sprinkles water from the fountain. The ritual is successful.

Johana is now Diddybob's SON.

The ring that Wetbub gave is probably where the male half of the baby came from since Mister O makes the ring sound important as a part of the ritual.

Diddybob is furious of course. No one told him that the people of this town were crazy. Diddybob's crazed actions cause the fishpeople to be alarmed. This is where Jona's nonstop crying starts. It becomes a issue until Map3.

Diddybob and his son are excommunicated from the village and forced on a boat. Jona's wailing still heard for two days out at sea.

The episode ends with articles from the local newspaper, the Waterlander. Supplimental material that give citations of what Johana and Mister O talk about. Wetbub's statement is a big hint of a part of who Virgil is as a character. You can tell by the way the latter is written.

• Like 1

Back, Convention wiped me out, let's continue:

Spoiler

Spoilers for nudity and language.

bestiary_pp_01.jpg?crc=4144627893

Episode 2: Window Pain

Past: Diddybob see a hole in his window, giving him a new perspective on things.

music: 04 The Vision Tape.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

So, the cover features Diddybob's eye peeking through a hole in a piece of paper. What's confusing about this cover is that we're stuck in the studio, and from the cover, we're in the perspective of the outside looking back at him.

Diddybob is shown looking through the hole in the first scene. Shocked at what has appeared. Virgil mockingly calls him a "hero" despite the horrible things he'll do later on.

The peeking through the window is basically the apple to Diddybob's Adam. Seeing new things that he wouldn't get in the studio with buddybob. To me, the window kind of represents the internet in a way. A untouchable but interactive window to information.

The episode shifts from night to day. Gradually showing how tired Diddybob becomes. That is why there's a day and night button at the bottom right. It's from the flash version of the episode if you'd rather chose to try the interactive version.

As previous episodes pointed out, Diddybob became obsessed with how the window has paper. Obvious covering a truth he wanted to uncover literally.

The day carries on to Diddybob's exhausted look on his face. Living Interior's theme is Closets. Of course, a popular analogy to closets is secrets. Which seems to be a obvious motif to Diddybob's connection to the window and his nightly excursions with the window unbeknownst to Buddybob's clueless perception of the situation.

Buddybob tries to wake Diddybob up, confused by the dazed look of his partner. He tries to change the focus onto showcases. Diddybob, alerted, tries to point to Buddybob about how the window changed from a seaside to a mountain scenery. Buddybob doesn't care and tries to keep the episode on focus.

The first appearance of the Pink Planes. Sirens of the series. They represent Diddybob's repressed lust but they appear in other points in the show.

Virgil describes the perspective of Diddybob as a "nothing". Since "Nothing just never means nothing", which could apply to all our own perspectives. We bring things from our mind out into a blank tabula rasa and build from there.

He flirts with the image of his repressed sexuality. Wanting to be with them forever but only to be shot down by reality. Well... The reality of the universe of Mind My Gap, that is.

Buddybob finds out in the middle of the night of Diddybob's recurrant trips to the window. Diddybob frets to his partner about the window but they are interrupted by a loud ad heavy banging of the door without a knob.

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Spoiled for infanticide.

5d46363964b77_mindmygapmountainman.thumb.png.2c9be4e96e1695afd0800e30dbbe0bee.png

Map3: Mountains

Present: Diddybob deals with being a father for a short term.

music: 09 popgun.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

This chapter's cover shows the mixture of a sink drain and Diddybob still stuck in that boat from Map2. You can even hear the drain sounds in the summary before the episode starts.

I'm guessing due to scenery change, the ocean was in the sky and now the boat Diddybob is in now dropped onto a mountain range.

Diddybob is relieved that the crying of his baby merson Jona has stopped. Jona is probably bewildered by the halt of the boat besides the falling. Diddybob states they have been on the ocean for weeks, which probably shows why Diddybob is so tired.

Despite Diddybob finding his son ugly, I don't. Just looks like a baby to me.

After a moment of relief, Jona cries again. Here Diddybob's mental strain of holding himself from hurting his baby boy starts. holding back from doing something terrible.

We get another flashback to Living Interrior. A episode about a coffee corner. Memories to Diddybob's good times. He considers Buddybob a soulmate. Not a romantic partner but more of a platonic best friend.

The scene shifts to a flash game if you were playing the flash version of the episode. Things to make Jona stop crying. It seems like no matter what he does, Diddybob can't seem to make Jona stop.

One of Virgil's minions, the mountain man, comes over to berate Diddybob to shut the kid up. Diddybob doesn't think he can but the minion mentions the gun in Diddybob's valise. The former anchorman is horrified at the thought of killing his own son.

Nothing else in the case works. He finally gives into temptation of silence.
The motion happens twice. The first time is Diddybob having reservations about the deed and the second time he prepares for the horrible act.

Just before Diddybob gives in, he hears Jona's first and only words. "Pop." It's a double entendre. Diddybob being a father and the shot of the gun that would do in Jona.

The words of Buddybob echo in the silence as Diddybob eases in. Guilt would only settle in a minute later. His body standing to take in such a pleasurable silence until the silence hurts. Reminding him of what he had done.

To add comedy to injury, he says "He sleeps with the fishes", ironic coming that the baby is a merperson.

He walks off to the next episode. Screaming like a child, wanting to go back home to Buddybob.

• Like 1

bestiary_bull_02.jpg?crc=3977167274

Episode 3: Maps and Plans

Past: Diddybob and Buddybob get a visitor from the outside

music: 03 This is me.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

We start with a cold opening. Diddybob and Buddybob chilled in terror at who could be knocking at their door. Buddybob hushes to Diddybob about opening the door but Diddybob can't. The door has no handle.

The door slowly opens and Diddybob asks their visitor if he's the devil based on his horns.

Fabulously, the stranger declines. He explains that he's their set dresser, a Interior decorator for their sets on their show. He suggests that the Bobs should go back to bed, explaining how their show keeps getting new sets daily to their ignorance.

Buddybob is surprised and delighted at this news, loving his work. Diddybob, on the other hand, is disgusted but intrigued to get answers out of this minotaur. The minotaur avoids Diddybob's questions about the outside, treating Buddybob with more respect over their interest on interior decorating.

Everytime Buddybob mentions memphis stove at this part, I tend to ask my father what it is. This might be a Netherlands euphamism for something. Dunno.

It looks like they'll have another episode about the kitchen by the way the minotaur talks on but Didybob is frustrated. Steaming off away from the two.

Unbeknownst to Buddybob and "the heavy bull", Diddybob does investigating into the minotaur's purse. Finding a map. A map to the outside. Despite it being a map, there was no cartography to behold. A blank sheet with a circle of a meaningful item that'll appear later.

Virgil, our narrator, keeps repeating how Diddybob is crying over this chance for freedom.

Another episode of Living Interior starts. Buddybob is about to announce their kitchen episode but Diddybo stubbornly declines.

He quits.

The show ends with the Living Interior's "Horizon" music going on.

• Like 1

bestiary_af_01.jpg?crc=4044003869

Map4:sky/Anglobilly Feverson

Past: Diddybob and Buddybob get a visitor from the outside

music:12 anglobilly feverson.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

Today we got a twofer: A storyboard and the completed movie. You're in for a treat.

The storyboard was years in the making and Rosto used the webcomic to reveal to the public what his finished product was going to be. So here we go.

We open to Diddybob crashing in the desert for the night with the mountain man. Diddybob wants to commit suicide. The Mountain Man finds this ridiculous, so he tells Diddybob a allegory to teach him about what he'll be going through on his travels. A... "True" story.

As Mountain Man is a minion of Virgil, them sharing the same voice, Virgil treats this as a storyboard for his "film", which you can tell Virgil represents Rosto in looks and writing.

We open to Anglobilly as his upturned head glances at the hole in the sky with the eye staring back. We show the machine that anglobilly built. A Icarus-like machine with wings and a motor as he flies on his journey.

We're never explained as to why Anglobilly's face can spill out with photos of his memories. It's never explained in the final product as well, we'll just assumed it's a visual metaphor as he's throwing his past behind for his holy cause for his purpose.

Little Anglobilly of his past saw the eye in the sky where the sun is. Unlike others where their head is sideways, his head is formed upward.

The story is broken for meta as this is a storyboard of course. You'll see in the other synopsis.

We have a little ditty as a chapter break as we continue Anglobilly's journey. Where we are introduced to the flying bugs that are constantly hunted by birds. Anglobilly picks a bug by its butt and hopes for a answer but the bugs won't budge. The bug is angrily screaming as birds keep snatching the bugs from Anglobilly's hand.

There's a traumatic detail to this scene with the bugs having human-like blood. Anglobilly's machine unintentionally does a massacre to more bugs as Anglobilly continues his journey up.

We get another chapter, this time with Rosto's harpies: The pink planes. They try to seduce Anglobilly to stop but the man continues his journey. Undistracted by their feminine beauty. Their master, the Wind, manages to pause Anglobilly. Wondering where the man is going.

Like a TSA officer, the Wind asks for papers and licenses. Anglobilly doesn't have any making the Wind furious. Despite that, Anglobilly pushes on and tries to work against the nature that is Wind and almost fails in the fight.

Getting shipwrecked in the Wind's storm.

Anglobilly is up in the clouds. Lost but still alive. Barely hanging onto his life.

We get the final arc(with a hilarious mangling from Virgil). The angels("Children of the sky") find Anglobilly and assist him to his mission of meeting the hole in the sky. Helping him to a golden stairway.

This might seem like heaven, but we do not meet god. Merely a mean looking eye.

As usual, Anglobilly asks the eye to go through. The eye declines and laughs. Spitting fire at Anglobilly to torment the poor man.

Accepting his fate, Anglobilly smiles while being devoured by the flames.

Diddybob is aghast at the turn of events as the story closes. As though describing Diddybob, Mountain Man describes his story as "A ballad of a fool". Diddybob needs a reconfirmation about Anglobilly dying. Despite Mountain Man stating it being a "true" story, he shrugs it off by saying "It's probably all made up". We end with Mountain Man saying goodbye.

Official movie:
We arrive to seeing Diddybob sounding more stressed in this version. The stress of killing his child is emphasized in the final cut. Where we see Virgil's voice actor as Diddybob filmed and modified to match Rosto's drawings. Rosto himself plays the Mountain Man but Diddybob's actor still voices Virgil.

Wrecker Wally really gives his acting chops with showing the disgust of not being able to commit suicide. With the dubbing, you can't even tell it's dubbed. The closeup of Rosto's face is fun as well, just emphasizing how much of a devil he is. Due to the movie being made a while later, Wrecker Wally's voice had more ease into voicing the role, letting him trill his voice with a pleasure to it.

We get a closeup of the map and see how much Diddybob has filled on it so far in this timeline. Technically this is map 4 but we're still in Map 3's mountains. Hence why this chapter is called "Sky". You can see the word "sky" written but makes no sense since the sky is part of a story and not in Diddybob's direction.

Diddybob isn't convinced, so Virgil stubbornly tries to prove the story I already summarized.

In this version, there is no narration. You have to let the visuals speak for themselves, so please watch both versions to get the full story.

Unlike the storyboards, we see Anglobilly here giving a threat to the sky. "Don't go hiding on me, I'm coming for ya!", so that's a new feature not from the storyboards.

If you pause, you can see Diddybob/Wally's face transposed onto Anglobilly. Showing the connection between both characters.

We get to the scene of Anglobilly's memories. There are way more kids than just the one featured in the storyboards. We also get a inroduction of Anglobilly's mother, which expands from the storyboards. Protecting her boy from the bullies.

Time to time, Virgil's voice will pop up to narrate but it's not as prominant. It kind of helps but if you haven't watch the storyboards version, you'll be a bit off at the events.

The bloodshed of Anglobilly's flight through the bugs is emphasized as he flies upward. Then the scene with the pink planes. The actress who was filmed had to be comfortable being filmed nude while also posing frame by frame like this was stop motion.

Due to no narration here, we don't hear Virgil talking about the planes seducing or who the Wind is. We're just stuck with a giant eye staring at Anglobilly and his mouth emphasizing him being the Wind.

Once again, we're at the scene where Anglobilly doesn't have papers. Just like the pink planes, Rosto directed the actor of the Wind to stay still for several frames to get the filming just right.

There's a silly touch with Wind's fury where we get the pink planes flying and screaming away. As well as getting a full scene of Anglobilly's ascent into being shipwrecked.

A scene not from the storyboards is another look into Anglobilly's past where he preaches his belief about the hole in the sky. People ignore him as he tries his hardest to convince. One stranger shrugs the man off, leaving anglobilly on the floor in anger. Signaling his motivation for his earlier angry expression of "I'm coming for ya". There's even a scene that echos his childhood of little kids mocking him.

More so than the storyboards, we get a heavenly ambiance from the shipwrecked scene. The angels in this version are more skeletal in appearance. Their face being the cross between a huge grin and a stitched eye.

More angels come and they form a giant bird-like wings to lift him up to the stairs.

Feeling grateful, Anglobilly asks the eye about going through. Due to the quality, we get to see the laughter in all its glory.

We get some Christian symbolism of Anglobilly's sacrifice. Showing more memories from his past. His family crying for Anglobilly's departure. Even Anglobilly's wife is clinging on for him to say but his mission was more important.

The smile is shown, including the disturbing grin.

We return to Mountain Man with his visualized wicked grin. The storyboarded version doesn't display what the acting delivers. The credits are combined with a acoustic version of the song Anglobilly Feverson and Diddybob's anguished questions and eventual giving up at Mountain Man.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.5dea962443ee31d4432f284442d62dfc.png

Episode 4: Showdown

Past: Diddybob wants to leave and Buddybob wants their friendship to stay.

music:15 o mental.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

We open to a title card of Diddybob's mental state of him excited to leave while the recurring theme of eyes shows up with the mask of Diddybob having a x on it.

The two anchormen are shown as masks while the music has a dark tone leaving the distance from their viewpoints. Virgil has no care for the two men's anger or spat. Yet despite the anger, Virgil states "he's so cool with that". It's as though he's used to this.

One of the major motifs in this series is fighting one's own destiny. While the narrator is certain to make sure that doesn't come to pass.

We get a penultimate episode of Living Interior. For a playful turn of phrase, they focus on Curtains as the theme of the episode.

Diddybob jumps in to be sarcastic. Just wanting to get this over with. Buddybob tries to keep on script despite his partner's objections.

The masks in this episode represent the mental states of what they plan for the next episode of the series. The Diddybob painting features the recuring circle you can see on the map and throughon in the series. It'll be very important later on.

Sadly we see Buddybob trying to hardest to make something that will win back Diddybob's friendship. Writing the lyrics to a song that could help this distancing apart.

The next day happens with a fake group of people in the studio to Diddybob's confusion. Buddybob says they're loved ones but Diddybob doesn't buy it.

Virgil mentions another episode coming up as it will come to return to Diddybob as a warning. The narrator doesn't really appreciate how the time looping hurts his schemes.

We get a interactive part in the flash version of the episode where you can move the mouse around to make Diddybob's words show up to reveal more of the image in the future episode.

Future Diddybob tries to warn past Diddybob but only leads to confusion for both Bobs. Even Buddybob doesn't know what to make of the voice only to shake it off with his anchorman persona.

The annoyed feeling of Diddybob returns as he sarcastically continues to mock the show. Such a show of defiance gives Virgil a idea to change the angle of the show. Turning it from a showcase of architecture to a screwball comedy and making the Bobs into metaphorical clowns. Giving the anchormen two different scripts. His trollish behavior causes Virgil to remind the viewer that he is the devil, doublecrossing is his game after all.

It took me a year or two to realize the laughter machine was a thing. He says "Oh, did I mention the laughter machine", which implies how fake the audience in the studio truly is. I just assumed they were real due to the art style, but they are fake.

The show is almost over with more of Diddybob's sarcasm. Buddybob ends it with a reassurance there'll be more to the show ahead. He begs Diddybob offcamera to just play along, but Diddybob is overwhelmed. The anguished anchorman wants this to end so badly.

We end with a homonous tune of "O mental".

• Like 1

vlcsnap-2019-09-11-23h51m09s794.png.2c77f87b04a5a29421ee059529392c01.png

Map5: Desert

Present: Diddybob finds a phonebooth in the desert and tries to save his past.

music:14 bloody yello.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

A mysterious ringing happens.
In the summary, Virgil lays down the timeline so far.
Diddybob's words can be seen on screen. He's still pining over the son he killed.

In the flash game, you can move your mouse over the game to show the screen with the words happening in the episode.

Diddybob can't believe his eyes as he goes to answer a phonebooth that is ringing in the desert. Though the soundtrack for the episode seems to contradict from the visuals as we see Diddybob's encounter with the phonebooth after the audio starts.

We have another of Virgil's minions. Dusty Diva. The single female minion of Virgil's who is also the telephone operatator. Diddybob assumes she's a mirage due to her quickly shifting into a phonebooth.

We're introduced to Virgil's phone service "Crossed horizons telecom" which sounds like his business enterprise "Open Horizon". Diddybob confuses her for a friendly operator and asks for help. Needing a way out of the desert.

Diddybob asks for another chance with life. The minion reaffirms that it will cost him to get such a favor. Unfortunately, being lost beyond hope, he asks the operator and says he'll pay for it. The operator says he has no credits but Diddybob says his friends will pay for his service.

Which is strange, Diddybob is assumidly his only friend.

We get back to the previous episode. Diddybob is talking to his past self.

Diddybob realizes this and tries to avoid problems but unfortunately it's inevitable. Fate won't change. Leaving only to a confused Buddybob. The Operator uses Buddybob's confusion to make this Diddybob's wasted phonecall.

Diddybob even realizes how time is going in a loop. It infuriates him that things are working against his favor, even realizing that he's dealing with one individual entirely. The creature being a devil.

Due to the timeloop, apparently he had 50 cents on his person but Buddybob replied and thus the devil screwed him over by making his past self pay for his phonecall... Even if there was no money in the phonebooth.

"Even though you sound like a bird", which kind of foreshadows Rosto's later film Monster of Nix.

Virgil's voice meshes with Dusty Diva's. So despite it being a minion, they are still all Virgil.

Despite Diddybob's proclomations and frustration of his treatment, the scene shifts to a wintery wasteland outside. Leaving him alone and chilled to the bone.

Sorry for the long wait, I've been busy recently.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.1acfea5dd702c10632dd7a43af67d6ff.png

Episode 5: Xposure

Past: Diddybob makes his final appearance on Living Interior.

music:02 Mad Mans Play.mp3

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

We open to the first visual representation of Virgil S. Horne as he's narrating the episode. The laughter presented represents the laughter machine in the episode.
As stated in the previous "Episode"(as opposed to the future Map of the desert episode we saw previously), Virgil is already going ahead with the screwball comedy. Going with zany music and a twist to the dynamic between the two anchormen.
For something that's supposed to be a comedy, he even states its not even funny. Perhaps this is what youtube likes to refer to as "ironic comedy" currently.
Virgil shills his network.
We get the true meat of the episode: Diddybob's farewell. As stated in previous episodes, this is a tribute that Buddybob is working hard to make Diddybob change his mind, using a retrospective aesthetic to maybe pull on Diddybob's heartstrings.
Another metaphor, the focus for Living Interior this time is "curtains". Which also implies the finality of the show as well for Living Interior.
Introducing the anchormen, Virgil treats his staff as literal "fingerpuppets". Once again, Rosto goes surreal to show off visual metaphors. Surprisingly due to his animation, the painting is overlayed with some animation of a crude line variety. For some reason I can't tell if Diddybob is looking toward the left or rolling his eyes. The shading makes it hard to tell.
Buddybob in the introduction is still naive about his situation as Diddybob does his hardest to prove that its all fake. The zanyness of Virgil's execution of the scenario and Diddybob acting like a child makes this feel like a caricature of the two men rather than the characters themselves as shown before.
Surprisingly as the camera pulls back, Diddybob is aware of them being fingerpuppets. There's a added layer of comedy when you realize that the finger that their heads are placed on are the middle finger. Virgil is flipping the viewer off.
Buddybob asks Diddybob how he's going to leave. Diddybob specifies the door. To his efforts, Buddybob halts him by trying to show a tape of famous last words from "neighboring anchormen"... To which, I assume, is himself.
Diddybob ignores the plea and opens the door.
Buddybob tries one more thing: A farewell song.
Now if you've been checking out the Thee Wreckers songs I've been adding to these retrospectives, you'll recognize the song that Buddybob is singing is "O Mental". He rewrote it to fit the plight of the situation for wanting Diddybob to stay.
During the song, Diddybob's face falls off with combustion. Those ashes will be important for later. He's not even sure himself why it happened, and due to the dreamlike nature of Mind My Gap, he shrugs it off and farewells the pathetic buddybob. The face burning off might be a metaphor for him leaving his past behind before going off to the future.
The two don't look as they both split paths.
Virgil narrates as though he's reading a script.
The noise of a tv replaces Rosto's beautiful paintings. Such snowy imagery hinting to the next episode.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.7b3f08f424a6dbebd47305f1d7bc6272.png

Map 6: Artic

Present: Diddybob is going blind in the winter cold.

music:16 freezer blind geezer.mp3Official version: Freezer Blind Geezer

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

Our cover features the nearly blinded Diddybob in the artic wasteland. The words "Freezer Blind Geezer" are printed in a hard to read color to match the snowy scenery.

The story is broken into parts in this episode. In the form of a Rubix cube. It's narrative chosen by the player in the Flash version.

We start off with Buddybob's new career "buddybob says". Short commercials and adverts that star Buddybob as he tries to sell products from the Open Horizon network. it is a small break to show how he's working without Diddybob at the moment.

"Take me to the fridge" is the metaphor of how Buddybob feels with Diddybob leaving him behind for better pastures. With a cold machine like a refrigerator, it fits the metaphor. We can hear Virgil's voice again.

With the next segment, the person who made the video did it out of order but anyways, Buddybob(now with a polar bear coat) is traveling blindly. He comes across random midget natives trying to reach him. Yet he runs away in fear. The midgets are confused but behind them is their leader Dada baal(another incarnation of Virgil as a spirit of the artic).

Next segment is a montage of his travels. The wailing of his departed Jona crying as the snow keeps getting harder. The words "eye gone/I gone" keep repeating. This might be where he lost his eye in the narrative. Not sure how he got tape but the later chapters show Diddybob's eyes covered in black tape with x's. You can also see flashes of the map/Mirror of perspective being shown as his reason for leaving the show.

We then take a moment to see Diddybob write a letter to Buddybob. Still having pains of seeing him again and regretting his actions. We get information on Virgil's minions here... But no name for Virgil(which will appear later). He's hoping these letters will get to Buddybob as a warning for what will come. Which will excel the story for both men later on.  

From Diddybob's letter, we can tell he takes the mountain man's story seriously. Warning about the sun or Golden eye in the sky. His dreams talk about Virgil's whale. A "sucking fish" as he calls it, which will be very important later.

The next segment is a little interactive game where you can move Dada Baal around to show his full body(Including him flipping the bird at the viewer). His theme song plays when you leave your cursor on his body.

As I mentioned earlier, the video is out of sequence. So when we get to the part, the part that should've gone first of where he got the coat is shown. In this interactive part you can leave Diddybob to trip and observe a lazy polar bear on the floor napping.

For some reason, Diddybob is asking the bear "Are you cold, to-to?". Okay... The bear responds "No boogaloo"... Whatever that means, Rosto. With the second trip, the person who made the video clicked on the polar bear, with Diddybob taking its flesh to make a coat.

We end on credits to the rest of the song.

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

image.png.0ad92b9e742967cc1b564b77480190cb.png

Episode 6 Dead Interior

Past: Diddybob wants Buddybob back while doing commercials

music:18 Chick or a dog.mp3Real track: ( Little Buddy[in slobberland])

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

We open to the title card of Buddybob metaphorically trapped by a advertisement template. Mocking his situation while also showing the turmoil he's going through.
The door opens. Buddybob hopes it's Diddybob but instead its the Heavyset Bull. The Bull arrived to see how our protagonist is doing. Yet things aren't in Buddybob's favor. He doesn't have Diddybob in his life anymore.
We learn that its been weeks since Diddybob left(Artic does not count since there's time shenanigans). Bull tries to pressure Buddybob to get back on his feet and think about positive things. It seems that the bull acts as a manager for Buddybob to get interviews for commercial work that Virgil makes behind the scenes.
Unfortunately the work doesn't sound appetizing. He describes these commissions as "a minimal sort of thing". So probably doesn't pay much. Junk food advertising.
Camera pans down to Buddybob's lap of the urns of Diddybob's face. The past life that Diddybob threw away for making a new life. It's a callback to a few minutes ago of the bull telling Buddybob to forget his partner. Yet the urn is the hope for a return to see Diddybob again.
Buddybob disagrees with Bull about these jobs. Tired of being treated as filler as he felt his days on Living Interior meant so much more to his existence. Diddybob made his life worth meaningful. Its as though Diddybob died as soon as he left that door.
He asks Bull why he pressures him to do these gigs. The bull acts like those dance moms who pressure their daughters into following their footsteps. He's living through Buddybob so he could get back into Interior decorating. The passion HE WANTS, not Buddybob's needs.
Bubbybob's perspective is that Living Interior had heart to it. Commercial work is more about selling a product instead of the person hosting(flex tape and Billy Mays would disagree).
Bull does a stereotypical gay statement as "C'mon GIRL, we'll make it worth something". In the bestiary description of his character sheet, Virgil wishes the Bull would be less gay. It kind of describes how unthoughtful Virgil is as a character.
Buddybob drifts into his nostalgia. Feeling more depressed than ever. He describes looking out of the window, wondering if Diddybob is cold. Technically he's right if you watched the previous episode. Bull prompts him away from the topic. Wanting him to focus on the present.
We get another example of Buddybob's career into advertising. The element of Buddybob's watch is introduced in this commercial. It'll be very important in the final episode, but anyways, Buddybob is advertising a watch.
"Time is not your enemy"(until later on). "Watch me now" is a watch that makes sure you understand the present is N O W.
As the commercial ends, Buddybob stares at his watch. The words "tick tock filling behind him. Virgil explains that Buddybob believes the outside is a winter wonderland. So the window is lying to our protagonist. Buddybob hears Diddybob's laughter.
It seems here we get to the point that timelines are missed up that even our narrator is confused.
Checking the Window, Buddybob is terrified. There was a void that compels
Buddybob to look through. With the power of the window, his fears gain substance with a image. He's trying to analyze it. Wondering if it's a "chick"... "Chick or a dog"? Whatever that means.
Buddybob's intense analysis causes him to get his eye stuck. While the figure approaching keeps getting closer.

Edited by minespatch
  • Like 1

bestiary_um_01.jpg?crc=3912306817

Map7: SWAMP

Present: Diddybob tries to plead the World's Ugliest man to save him.

music:20 End of Time.mp3 (The real track is Sinking down)

Spoilers and synopsis:

Hide contents

We start with Virgil mocking the viewer in the summary. He calls himself Dada baal in this one since that's his alias in the artic.

We get further clarification of Diddybob's blindness in the winterlands. The man is in a literal cold opening, with him describing the artic before him. He tries to call Dada baal among a cliff... Yet the only makes him fall into our next chapter.

Speaking of next chapter, the first words of the world's ugliest man in the series(Love how the voice actor of Virgil[Wrecker Wally] makes him sound like classic western actor Pat Bertrum). He's aware of the timeloops in the story, hence his "Here we go again dialogue".

Diddybob speaks out the same words on the coverart. Him clutching tight to his suitcase while stuck between a X on the map of the journey. His body also being inbetween the mirror of perspective's circle.

This is one of the few times you really need the flash version to hear both thoughts. Yet when you hover your mouse to see the thoughts, you also see the perspectives of both individuals. Ugliest man can see Diddybob very clear while with Diddybob, his vision obscures for the most part.

Thankfully the video version can let you hear Diddybob's internal monologue to the very beginning. It's hard to catch with your mouse if using the flash version.

Diddybob prattles on his depression of how much he's in pain. Ugliest man tries to monologue the location of where they are, including information about how Virgil thinks of the swamp he has made. "My devil", the ugliest man calls Virgil. The devil leaving the land for other tormented souls like Buddybob(for sure).

Ugly talks about missing Virgil as his enemy due to being left alone. The thoughts reveal Ugly having gone with this same monologue over and over. Finding them pointless while Diddybob does horrified screams of wondering who is talking.

Ugly lost his name due to all the time traveling schenanigans. It drives him to further depression. Such depression that he considers himself "The ugliest man in the world". Talking to Diddybob lightens a meager load to the poor guy.

The talk of circles return. Vicious circles, that is.

Diddybob bargins for being let out of the swamp's pit. MEanwhile Ugly recalls that he's gone through this so many times. The suitcase Diddybob is holding is important to Ugly, that needing to be delivered to Buddybob. The name Buddybob clicks to Ugly and he agrees with Diddybob... For the most part.

Ugly mentions the synopsis of the next episode to Diddybob due to Buddybob eventually searching for Diddybob. None of this makes sense to Diddybob. It doesn't help that Ugly keeps rambling about his head hurting and all.

Trying to reason with Ugly, Diddybob recalls the Mountain Man's story of Anglobilly Feverson but Ugly declines. Telling Diddybob the futility of the situation.

Ugly explains that this is the PITT. Bad ideas only end up in this swamp. He mentions a white snake which will also show up toward a later episode but we're getting ahead of ourselves(then again, with this show, it's a running gag to mention future events).

Due to the location, Ugly mentions how there are no escapes here. As the corrupted figure monologues, Diddybob's obsession with Buddybob causes him to remember a moment ago of Buddybob leaving for him. He sarcastically says its hilarious but he's still determined to leave(despite what Ugly has been warning).

Once again, Diddybob's head combusts. Ugly sadly bemoans this and tries to calm him down by saying that the swamp should lull him to his death by drowning.

Unfortunately, Ugly has to suffer by looping in time. Listening to Diddybob laughing as he drowns in the swamp. Taking the suitcase

We got concept art of Ugliest man for the unfinished Mind my Gap movie! Spoilers for who he is:

Spoiler

stijn-windig-ugliesman-04.jpg?1557860480stijn-windig-ugliesman-03.jpg?1557860479stijn-windig-ugliesman-02.jpg?1557860477stijn-windig-ugliesman-05.jpg?1557860472stijn-windig-ugliesman-06.jpg?1557860474

News: "Songs from my Gap" just got uploaded:

Playlist got removed, take this music video in compensation:

https://idol.lnk.to/Songs_from_My_Gap

https://open.spotify.com/album/1V9Vvb3fSPsOzAjzrX1O53

Edited by minespatch

image.png.9406b31ccb6c613314bda7f4508e0333.png

Episode VII: SPLINTERTIME

Present: Buddybob meets the ugliest man.

music:19 Splintertime  (real track:)

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

Our cover features Buddybob's eye stuck between the past and the present. As though it's almost out of his socket as a mirror's splinter is aiming at it.

Virgil calls Ugliest man as "some stinker" in the intro before the episode starts.

As though repeating himself, Virgil says once more that Buddybob's eye is stuck in a peeping hole. Images of mirror shards fly as Virgil explains Ugliest man's arrival. Despite retelling events, he wasn't even there. More unrealizable narrator territory. Though I can assume that one of Virgil's minions reported to him as we find out in Jona/Tomberry of the minion's appearance there in the Living Interior Studio. Yet Virgil does say that his retelling is from "heresay", so it has to be the minion that told him.

Bubbybob wakes to see that the splinter in his eye has made himoverwhelmed with a new perspective. The room being upside down that it even effects the world around Buddybob.

Ugliest Man's voice echoes through the room as he enters. He introduces himself and we kind of get a better look at Ugly. There's a corpselike look to his design.

Buddybob is too horrified of Ugly to even have a proper conversation. Ugly tries his best to sum up the situation. He returns the suitcase to Buddybob.  Buddybob assumes Ugly did horrible things to Diddybob but Ugly declines the imagery. Trying his best to reassure the equally tormented man.

Ugly notices the urn of Diddybob's "Old face", Buddybob smacks the hand in anguish. The urn's "ashes" has a talking Diddybob, which somehow makes sense to Ugly. Okay then.

Ugly explains about Diddybob being dead at the bottom of the swamp. Yet Buddybob is in heavy denial. Determined to rescue Diddybob no matter the cost. Ugly horrifyingly tries to warn him but it won't go through Buddybob's ears.

Due to the angle of the room, Buddybob wonders what happened to the door. From his angle, it's out of reach. To his surprise, there's a exit on the floor. We get some dialogue from Ugly about Virgil being a bird and how he tormented him to the point he's unrecognizable.

Buddybob finally leaves the place. Already giving up and making his way to Diddybob. It makes Ugly give up on Buddybob, tired of warning him.

The anchorman looks at his wrist. Noticing the clock ticking "now" over and over. Virgil, talking to the viewer, says "watch those nows". The watch is slowing down. Breaking dimensions, Buddybob entered a realm that Virgil made only for Diddybob. Making the watch freeze as though time has paused.

Another segment of Buddybob Says pops up. "Bloodstains on your precious white". A reference to one of Rosto's early work pops in here. Being a appliance commercial for a washing machine. The product being called "Laundromatic". In the machine, we see a twisted and curled version of Buddybob's face.

Goodbye to Wrecker Rooney's voice for Buddybob and expect Tom Hambleton voicing him next.

bestiary_ish_01.jpg?crc=4062708125

Map8: UNDERGROUND

Present: Buddybob gets boozed with rat people

music:04 The Vision Tape.mp3(real track)

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

The cover this time features Buddybob leaving his home through some steps into the underground. I assume the face is Diddybob due to some contours. If it is Diddybob, then it is a representation of Buddybob's goal to reunite with diddybob.

Virgil describes the area Buddybob entering as "The zone" in the introduction of this episode. The gears in the cover representing both the watch on Buddybob's hand and the mechanations of the Zone he is entering.

This introduction really shows off in writing how Virgil is spiteful towards Buddybob's agency. That demon wants things in his control yet he's also trying to act standoffish with a disguise of nonchalance.

We hear the new voice for Buddybob: Tom Hambleton. The different chapters have audio that are taken from excerpts of the letter that Buddybob is writing. Our first chapter has the valise that Buddybob received from the World's Ugliest man with the contents that belonged to Diddybob.

Buddybob narrates the length of the journey. Reaching toward the end, Buddybob notices a city(which we will return to later on in another episode) after opening a manhole. The manhole belonging to a fountain in the middle of this bustling city.  Such a reveal has left Buddybob confused over what gravity this world has.

From a birds eye shot, we get the motif of the red cross. The red coming from the speeding lights of the traffic. With another shot, Buddybob acknowledges Virgil's watchful eye as the sun.

He notices he's not alone.

Chubby rat-like men are in his vicinity drinking a gross green fluid. Some of them are wearing Rosto's band "Wreckers" as logos on their shirts.

The second chapter has the ashes of Diddybob's face. As thought the ashes will bring them back closer together and somehow bring back their lives.

Buddybob describes the natives as "a laid back folk". Suspiciously they're letting him integrate into their society.  Yet naively Buddybob assumes they have friendly intentions for him.

We meet the rat king, Ishka. In Ishka's Mensa, he rules these small chubby men with the green substance they call "fuel". Which is basically repurposed liquefied garbage from the city above.

Buddybob reluctantly drinks it for his own survival.

He tells Ishka about his journey so far. Releasing information about what Diddybob has gone through, even showing the map during the party in the "Ballroom". Ishka reveals his own history to Buddybob of how they were chased off. Which kind of gives Buddybob even more motivation to trust them.

Ishka explains to Buddybob about a revolution to fight off against the "Regime" against Virgil and his devils. Unbeknownst to Buddybob, he seems fine with the "Fuel" being doubled in dosage to him. As though the rats are muddling his mind.

It seems every time Buddybob gives Ishka information, he sweeps it aside with another party.

We get to a point that Buddybob talks about the shard in his eye and how it makes him see "Crazy crap". Ishka is curious but we don't get much from that.

If you listen to Buddybob's narration, you can gradually hear the alcohol really affecting his mind. Muddling him from his purpose. Using the valise as a pillow.

Final chapter ends with Diddybob's "Highway souvenir". The gun that killed Diddybob's son Jona.

Getting tired with all this "planning", Buddybob stormed over to Ishka to finally start the rebellion. Ishka agrees, kissing Buddybob as though referencing the kiss of Judas(even though this seems like a friendly gesture to Buddybob). The rat king pulls off his fake wig while roaring to start the rebellion.

Before the exodus to Virgil, Buddybob re-acknowledged a detail on the map revealing the ballroom to be a parking lot basement. Just reassuring himself that he is closer than he thought to finding Diddybob.

The rats are cautious on their journey. Hearing the cars of the highway above. Except this car was near. Driving in their direction.

Behind the air-shafts, Buddybob sees the first onscreen appearance of "Rolling home". Inside was Luce the Loop, the same demon from the first chapter.

To Buddybob's disbelief, Ishka is working with Luce. The rat king was biding time for Luce to arrive to capture Buddybob back to Virgil.

Luce forces Buddybob to offer the splinter, but Buddybob throws the gun instead, biding him time to escape into the subway.

Buddybob's name is screeched as the episode ends.

• Like 1

409602455_Virgildescription.thumb.png.8289918487c5cfe02a04b070000f9421.png

(From the Mind My Gap Trilogy dvd)

Jona/Tomberry

Present: Virgil fights a langemanne

music:27 The Between instrumental.mp3(Real track)

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

We start with the first time with the actual interior of the living interior set. In the episode Dead Interior.

The first shot is intriguing, we can see the window is not as big as originally implied. With Rosto's technique, we get a visual significance of a film with the flicker of a camera as the creator of the series plants his name out.

The two worlds as just immediately established as we move from the mirror to the world of the in-between(which is also a song that was one of the cornerstones for the mind my gap story).

You might want to skip to ten seconds for epilepsy reasons but the flashes are different parts of the film interspliced while the mirror of perspective spins around.

Virgil is on his Whale. In fact, this is the first appearance of the narrator of the series. Our villain. As the film spins, the whale gets smaller. It acting as Rosto's camera(since Virgil is one of his many alter-egos).

In one the mirror worlds of that damned mirror of perspective, we take ourselves back to the chapter of the mountains as we see the full animated sequence of Diddybob's internal anguish of holding back from killing Jona.

If one couldn't tell from Anglobilly Feverson, the sun is the eye of Virgil. Ever watching all the belongs to the mirror. Even stating that it is his world. Probably Rosto mocking his own ego.

We have a scene of the mountain man sounding like Virgil, a cognitive dissonance of the minions of Virgil speaking for that devil. With no shoulder angel, only the mountain man pressuring Diddybob to kill Jona.

We get a new addition from the Mountains episode with the mountain man reassuring that Jona isn't real. Placing more doubt into Diddybob's mind.

The episodes of Mind My Gap are being woven together as we return to Dead Interior as Buddybob investigates the window. He hasn't had the splinter in his eye yet.

We jump ahead to a later episode where we see Diddybob's adventures in the in-between. He can see himself in the mirror of perspective. Adding more confusion over what is happening.

Interestingly enough, Diddybob is being pushed by Virgil. The devil behind the mirror, Virgil using the whale to look within the mirror.

We get more film making puns as Virgil(through Rosto) explains it's just a projection. As reference to the epilepsy induced spinning from earlier.

Our first visual look at the Langemanne. Tree people trapped within the mirror. Intrigued with the situation on top of the mountain.

The langemanne thrushes of "Whoa-woo" push through, starting to stress the mountain man. His pushing of Diddybob to shoot his son. It is not established why in this short film why killing Jona was important. In the Mountains chapter, he just suggested it to shut the child up. While in Jona/Tomberry, the minion seems to have other intentions in mind.

Jona stops crying in spasms once the Langemanne arrive. Creatures that only children can see.

We're close to the ending of the introduction as the langemanne pick up Jona. As though the connection between the langemanne and Jona was so important that Virgil needed that connection splintered.

Things do not work for Virgil. The shooting of the gun has broken the mirror. I am not sure that Virgil is even aware of what he even did by provoking Diddybob to shoot Jona.

We finally get to see how the splinter got into Buddybob's eye and the flipping of the studio. Messing with the perspective.

Another one of Virgil's minions arrive. Shocked over the chaos of the studio Virgil owns. In fact, this is the first time Virgil's name is spoken.

We speed up ahead to "forest", the next chapter. Buddybob's meeting with the 12 langemanne. With the splinter, Buddybob can see them. He asks questions but most of them just repeat his comments.

The mountain man screams at the langemanne in vain. Being a creature naturally connected with the moon, that langemanne(which I assume is Ram) hurries over to the moonlight's reflection in the water.

We get to the second half of the film. Technically this is two stories(kind of like how End of Evangelion is two episodes). Tomberry picks off to the Langemanne entering into Virgil's dark realm.

Unlike above, the baby Jona is sleeping in this realm.

In fact, the way this realm works, the langemanne is upside down. Probably due to perspective being shattered. So many minions are on their search to put the mirror of perspective back together.  

Virgil enters in. Already looking at wits end as he approaches his beloved mirror. The minions climb onto Virgil like children wanting their parent.

Seeing through the mirror, he sees the Langemanne that intruded. Causing him to be off guard. The terrified langemanne is too late to realize that Virgil has spotted him.

With Virgil as the pessimist and the langemanne being the optimistic dreamer, the langemanne explains that Tomberry is only dreaming. The baby in his arms.

Virgil assumed the baby is dead with his confused comment but Tomberry is very much alive. Singing to Virgil, knowing his true form as a swallow("Oh old bird, don't be scared").  

Virgil is pulled into the mirror. Forgetting that mirror of perspectives are dragging people in to give into their truest desires. He notices Buddybob in the realm. Approaching the "cyclops" carefully.

In the forest with Buddybob, Virgil uses his eye to break through to see the Langemanne. Their song driving the demon insane.

Pulling himself out to focus, he's too late to notice that Tomberry has taken his whale. A violent rage goes within Virgil as he kills the Langemanne. Pulling off his head. We get a moment of symmetry as a potential idea of Virgil and Langemanne being the same.

The Langemanne sing in triumph as they reclaim Tomberry at the willow tree. Night being their medium.

Buddybob is aware of Jona's name due to the letters Diddybob wrote on his travels. The langemanne contradicts this as Tomberry is a god of theirs. Someone to reclaim the night.

Over the course of credits, Virgil sends one minion after another to reclaim his whale. A never-ending cycle of pain for Virgil.

We end on the opening of Anglobilly Feverson's short. Where the mountain man approaches the distraught Diddybob about the death of Jona.

• Like 1

image.png.c7ed3e842c035c5d7ea53d35f60f909f.png It finally arrived! It was interesting recobbling of the story. Some of the images in the comic were changed to fit the current looks of characters and the dialogue has slightly been changed. Not all the dialogue has been saved from the webcomic but it's nice to see the reimagining. Kind of a shame there wasn't a audiobook so I can hear the cast say the new dialogue but it's a relief it finally relieved.

Curious how Rosto's wife is going to do Monster of Nik 2....

image.thumb.png.d38a9276b6637cafbad8ab44d1f04c83.png

(Rosto AD sent me the file a while back but the transfer link expired.)

Episode VIII: THAT DAMNED OL’ MIRROR OF PERSPECTIVE

Present: Virgil looks for Buddybob while explaining to the viewer the history of the mirror.

music:21 Backwaved Devil.mp3(Real track)

Spoilers and synopsis:

Spoiler

This chapter's cover features Virgil's reflection upon the broken mirror after Diddybob shot. So many pieces, but all the time for Virgil's minions to collect if he can find them.

The summary tries to gather what events Virgil can calculate as the timeline gets weirder. Yet he takes it in stride with a pun about Buddybob.

Virgil recollects the origin of the mirror as a fairytale. Going all the way back to Diddybob's childhood. Him somehow having a connection to the Langemanne. The devil summizes about how people in power used the mirrors as getaway devices to pass their problems by.

When Virgil mentions Stairs, I assume the same stairs mentioned in "anglobilly Feverson", but due to Virgil being a unreliable narrator, I assume that Anglobilly is playing with partial truths. Anglobilly seems to be after the events Virgil is talking about, which makes things even curiouser with Diddybob's age in the backflash.  That the mirrors seemed to be in every household before the stairs were banished.

While other dangers of addiction were focused, people didn't seem to think the mirrors were dangerous. Yet as the mirrors were continued to be prevalent, people then found them dangerous. Especially with how long people were by them.

In Monster of Nix and a later chapter, Langemanne are explained to be only seen by children. Which is how Diddybob might not be familiar with them when he is older.

Virgil went on a mission to destroy these mirrors. Locking the Langemanne from connecting with people. The stairs were stopped by this point.

Almost all mirrors were destroyed except one. Which he hoarded for himself and framed. Despite finding it beautiful, Virgil considers it a weapon for his own devices.

The most interesting detail is the frame itself. In close inspection, the frame is patterned with astrological signs. Astrology matching the theme of the Langemanne.

He considers the world safe once he freed the world of mirrors. Only flat surfaces that reflect what "we" see. No magic at all. Such a example with showing Buddybob and Diddybob preparing for the day on Living Interior.

Virgil explains that he found a way of not looking into the mirror, but still looking into it. The devil getting too over-ambitious with exploring parallel worlds and the power of observation. Such ambition led to the mirror's destruction, thanks to Virgil's pawn Diddybob(as seen in Jona/Tomberry). The supposed shooting of Diddybob's son Jona left the mirror crashing into a million shiny pieces. One splinter entering into the eye of Buddybob.

By this point, Virgil has almost found all the pieces. Yet one remains. That single piece in Buddybob's eye. Once he finds it, he can trap the Langemanne all over again.

We end on Virgil's minion wondering where Buddybob has gone.

Had to ask the mods to unlock. Been busy but I wanted to tackle a chapter before the end of the year.

Edited by minespatch