Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Recommended Posts

Sigma Cypher    64

I know we've done this before but things have changed a bit since I was here last. Can I see your new base designs?  I rather like how this one turned out (mostly).  Please ignore the SG thing I was playing with in sandbox mode. I'm still using @Neotuck and @Nitroturtle designs for pincha farm, terrariums, steam vent etc. and @Yunru's disinfecting setup. (Neotuck you were right about glossy's btw).

Full disclosure:  I used CTRL-F4 to clear the slime biome and build plastic ladders.  Rest of plastic came from critters.

QOL 3 No oil.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,345

I still like my ultra-compact base design. There'll be a few changes to fit in some lights in the launch upgrade, and maybe monuments on top of the oxygen makers but other than that I pretty happy about this layout.

No cheating, or suspect exploits used, btw.

image.png.14aea0324f1413caf0b002ef576e2f

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miauly    116
21 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I still like my ultra-compact base design.

May I ask why no transportation tubes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,345
1 minute ago, miauly said:

May I ask why no transportation tubes? 

See the cycle count in the corner, "cycle 231". I hadn't had time to make enough plastic yet when I made that screen shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junksteel    727
27 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I still like my ultra-compact base design. There'll be a few changes to fit in some lights in the launch upgrade, and maybe monuments on top of the oxygen makers but other than that I pretty happy about this layout.

No cheating, or suspect exploits used, btw.

image.png.14aea0324f1413caf0b002ef576e2f

It's too graphic to keep looking at work. Need to see it at home while everyone sleeps.

I'd pay money to date this save file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Denisetwin    209
2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I still like my ultra-compact base design.

Does the shower in the massage clinic still allow that to stay a massage clinic with those bonuses?  What about the grill in the medical room?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,345
1 minute ago, Denisetwin said:

Does the shower in the massage clinic still allow that to stay a massage clinic with those bonuses?  What about the grill in the medical room?

Yes to both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sigma Cypher    64

Wow impressive.  @Saturnus - that really is impressively compact. Reminds me of the submarine - no wasted space! Question:  3 toilets for 12 dupes I get that but no sink on the med bay toilet?  Regarding exploits; I don't judge but the ethics police might give you a hard time about this: image.png.ca5d2148a96abb8a182c0d0706cfa9d1.png

Having said that I too would love to see the save file.  I want a closer look at the electrolyzer setup and the metal volcano thing with the aquatuner under it.

And your industrial brick which must be elsewhere.  Don't make me beg!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,345
17 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

Wow impressive.  @Saturnus - that really is impressively compact. Reminds me of the submarine - no wasted space! Question:  3 toilets for 12 dupes I get that but no sink on the med bay toilet?

It's never used, like literally never. The lavatory and mess table requirement for the med bay is a relic of the old disease system. With the new disease/doctor system, if you have the medicine prepared, you have a few doctors, and have the med cots on high priority a sick dupe will literally just sit down, get his meds, and he's on his way again. Or he goes in the pharma-chamber which suppress hunger and needing to go the bathroom.

22 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

I want a closer look at the electrolyzer setup and the metal volcano thing with the aquatuner under it.

It's a polluted water geyser.

24 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

 Regarding exploits; I don't judge but the ethics police might give you a hard time about this: image.png.ca5d2148a96abb8a182c0d0706cfa9d1.png

Using one element per tile mechanics is hardly an exploit no matter how you look at it. If it was, there'd be tons of stuff we should consider as exploits, like mechanical filters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sigma Cypher    64

Yes ok peace.  I'm a fan, I was just thinking of something Francis John said about the developer's intent.  But he uses water locks so ... meh I dunno.  Stupid rabbit hole -- sorry I brought it up. 

What I mean about the toilet is you have two "proper" toilets (the ones that have sinks associated) and one in the med bay.  I assume with 12 dupes you are running 4 shifts so only 3 dupes need to use the toilet at once.  So ... that means you are one "proper" toilet short are you not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,345
14 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

Yes ok peace.  I'm a fan, I was just thinking of something Francis John said about the developer's intent.  But he uses water locks so ... meh I dunno.  Stupid rabbit hole -- sorry I brought it up. 

What I mean about the toilet is you have two "proper" toilets (the ones that have sinks associated) and one in the med bay.  I assume with 12 dupes you are running 4 shifts so only 3 dupes need to use the toilet at once.  So ... that means you are one "proper" toilet short are you not?

No worries.

No, I run 12 shifts. Each dupe on a separate shifts two blocks apart. There is never more than a single dupe sleeping or going to the lavatory at the same time. So even if something happens to one of the lavatories the other is there for redundancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nitroturtle    618

Unfortunately I don't have much new to showcase as I haven't really played a base to late-game lately, nor have I been playing as much with the weather being better.  I will say @JohnFrancis has some very nice designs and anyone looking to optimize their base should definitely check out his vidoes.

I've been trying lately to break my OCD about base symmetry, as I feel it's often quite limiting.  I've also been trying to work out a proper power block layout for transformers and batteries.  My last few bases I've been trying a modified switched power setup to allow generators to all be connected via normal wires.  So far it's been working quite well, but I haven't played far enough to see how I like it once I actually have a massive power grid setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuQuasar    686

It's still a work in progress, but I think the design intent is visible at this stage

Starjack Citadel: 300 cycles, 35 dupes, max difficulty stress and germs, normal food and morale. Uses an all-biomes worldgen. No slush or water geysers, only steam vents. Am currently trying to sort out my single slickster ranch not keeping up with carbon generation and not having any room in the industrial sphere for more (Co2 pressure down there is 7.6 Kg and rising. Popped eardrums are keeping my massage tables busy).

9IfxgyF.jpg

Click to enlarge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Loscil2    80
37 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

It's still a work in progress, but I think the design intent is visible at this stage

Starjack Citadel: 300 cycles, 35 dupes, max difficulty stress and germs, normal food and morale. Uses an all-biomes worldgen. No slush or water geysers, only steam vents. Am currently trying to sort out my single slickster ranch not keeping up with carbon generation and not having any room in the industrial sphere for more (Co2 pressure down there is 7.6 Kg and rising. Popped eardrums are keeping my massage tables busy).

9IfxgyF.jpg

Click to enlarge.

nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damned, a lot of nice bases. Aye, posting a screenshot of my actual base again - around Cycle 200, 5 dupes developing well. Still have plenty of starting water left and found a geyser :D With my sand and dirt I can survive the next 250+ cycles without a sweat... I have dark and sinister plans hrhr

20190718020128_1.thumb.jpg.3840fe438b8b41b735734c2d5ed53920.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
calecaz    29
8 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I still like my ultra-compact base design.

 

What up with your natural gas zone?   ..Can Auto-Sweepers farm stuff!?  Have I just missed the memo that that was possible:wilson_cry: !?   ...or are you farming those peppers a different way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,345
5 hours ago, calecaz said:

What up with your natural gas zone?   ..Can Auto-Sweepers farm stuff!?  Have I just missed the memo that that was possible:wilson_cry: !?   ...or are you farming those peppers a different way?

It's called auto-farming. It means you just wait to the food drops off the plant by itself which it does exactly 4 cycles after it ready to harvest regardless of what plant it is, nor does it matter if it's wild or not. It's always exactly 4 cycles. So plants which takes a long time to grow, like sleet wheat and pincha peppers you can sometimes decide that it's worth the extra water and phosporite cost (in the case of pincha peppers) to not have the dupes waste time doing the harvests. It's especially true for pincha peppers which you often use as a heat sink to absorb hot polluted water.

The natural gas is because it's in the fertilizer maker room which helps stabilize the temperature. Yes, the nuts loose freshness in natural gas if left on the ground but they're swept out when they drop so it doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lurve    373

Anybody into guro?

Spoiler

5d3061beea226_Screenshotfrom2019-07-1808-09-31.thumb.png.8069dfe9f1c1624de2c57e7b5a34a340.png

Map is a modded Volcanea without abyssalite (except for space and world traits like irregular oil to the west there).  It's been a mad scramble from cycle 1 just to survive from emergency to emergency, no time to do anything the right way or make it all froufrou. Now at cycle 190 and I finally have a chance to figure out how to reclaim the world.  I'm getting choked by hydrogen because my steam turbines are working TOO well and I'm not burning it fast enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Caochu    599
17 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

2.thumb.jpg.8b2c3c19305420883ba2a28a0410cc26.jpg

*Notice the nice geometry eye-candy* :distracted:

*Notice the magma pool on the top of the base * :distant:

*Stare at the magma pool on the top of the base * :distant:

*Wonder what could happen if a destructive duplicant break some tiles* :dejection:

*Internally scream in german* :grief:

*Externally* : I love your base and the way you incorporate the different geysers in your design :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angpaur    251

My most recent base (QoL3). Cycle 1535:

7EF64444EE9424A0812F4DE2B26F1512A203C288

I'm feeling like taking a break now with ONI untill final release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites