The last character?

I don't like to create new topics, but I'm interested in what would Wagstaff be like in DST.(If this character will add to the game).In my opinion, this inventor should rightfully be in the DST or he will play a different role, so he will not appear in the DST. What do you think about it?5d2c15b662c5c_3F3F3F3F3F3F3F3F_3F3F3F3F.octet-stream.png.dc727b9d8dc66ea58fd5a74502e7d04c.png

3 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

Other than that I think he fits well in DST.

+

3 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Wagstaff in DST will have seen God and will have cosmic omniscience. We will see things that we humans cannot even imagine.

5d2c27fe60502_HolyWagstaff.thumb.png.cba83641b1a68880dfcfe4be6c060132.png

It's a great INVENTOR-GOD! :wilson_ecstatic:

2 hours ago, Russian Philin said:

I don't like to create new topics, but I'm interested in what would Wagstaff be like in DST.(If this character will add to the game).In my opinion, this inventor should rightfully be in the DST or he will play a different role, so he will not appear in the DST. What do you think about it?5d2c15b662c5c_3F3F3F3F3F3F3F3F_3F3F3F3F.octet-stream.png.dc727b9d8dc66ea58fd5a74502e7d04c.png

699?cb=20170519075335*Begins to shake intensively*

(Introducing Thumper could make the Toadstool fight way too easy.)

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

It's okay, then the inventor will be sued for cruelty to animals!:wilson_ecstatic:(stupid joke from Philin) 

But this fight will not be boring, but very funny!

... Probably... 

Spoiler
56 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

I'm pretty sure toadstools Aoe attacks would make quick work of them. For the fight, they have relatively poor range as well. you'd need to make a few and close by. 

Honestly you'd be better off with the glass axe/weather pains even if they did work for the fight. Much less up keep/babysitting and the glass axe is pretty cheap once the stations set up

27 minutes ago, Brago-sama said:

I'm pretty sure toadstools Aoe attacks would make quick work of them. It's not as if they have great range either so you'd need a few and close by. 

Ice Flingomatics in range or its Mushrooms don't get damaged by Toadstools AoE attacks and players will always find a way to place them far enough from Toadstool or to make any use of them.

Yet another thought: What kind of items can Wagstaff contribute to its team? If the goggles will be only usable by him, then it's the Thumper and Telebrella only, but the Thumper will make Maxwell & Woodie almost useless cause everyone can use the Thumper once it's crafted.

Also: Watch out, the Telebrella would be a new device for griefers, creating extra effective Tentacle Traps (Tentacles next to the Telipad) or just use it to find & burn bases faster. Other players won't allow a Telipad in their base cause that would make it too easy to find them.

16 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Yet another thought: What kind of items can Wagstaff contribute to its team? If the goggles will be only usable by him, then it's the Thumper and Telebrella only, but the Thumper will make Maxwell & Woodie almost useless cause everyone can use the Thumper once it's crafted.

Maxwell will still be the faster wood gatherer since you need to wait for the trees to grow to use Thumper, and he can still mine rocks as well. Woodie on the other hand needs a character rework.

19 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Ice Flingomatics in range or its Mushrooms don't get damaged by Toadstools AoE attacks and players will always find a way to place them far enough from Toadstool or to make any use of them.

Huh really. I know him walking over stuff destroys structures, so I just assumed his aoe attacks must have as well. That is my bad.

As a side note if he does get added that would be 2 times woody, the character who literally breathes and eats wood, got outdone in wood gathering 

4 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

Make his goggles only wearable by him, remove Fryfocals damage, and add fuel/durability to Thumper.

Other than that I think he fits well in DST.

Agree.

but others should be allowed to wear his goggle, their vision just gonna be blur

4 hours ago, FeagleSnorf said:

My unpopular opinion is hoping Wilton is the next character. Or Wagstaff, but mostly because of the lore.

I've dreamt of having Wilton for so long now, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

I shall live in the despair of never being able to be a skeleton.

Thinking of Wagstaff again, what kind of abilities does he have?

Abilities:

• Biggest Stomach (Survives 3 days without food), less Sanity
  • Can use goggles
  • Gets blurried vision if he doesn't use goggles
  • Looses 3 Health if eating raw food
  • Access to several items

Items:

• Spectoggles:
    • Can be used to reveal Tentacles (perhaps also Depths Worms, Treeguards, or plants which are about to disease).
    • Peculiar Objects can be investigated for no cost to item durability. - NOT AVAILABLE IN DST
    • Grants protection from Humid Season's Fog. There's no Fog in DST, but his goggles might grant protection against the oasis during summer exclusive sandstorm.
    • (!) This item can't be repaired with the Sewing Kit & it requires Pig Skin and Pig Skin is rare in some kind of worlds because players just smash every Pig Hut they see to get enough skin for their helmets, forcing Wagstaff to have blurried vision.
  • Infroggles:
    • Almost same as the Moggles but it's sort of cheaper, can be only used by Wagstaff, not refuelable, and has 33% more durability.
    • Crafting 1x Moggles and refueling it with a Glow Berry or 5.33 Lesser Glow Berries will have the same effect.
  • Visor:
    • A weaker version of Wigfrid's Battle Helmet exclusive for Wagstaff which is bit more expensive while also granting limited vision.
  • Fryfocals:
    • A weaker version of the Fire Staff exclusive for Wagstaff.
    • Can be used as goggles with infinite durability at the cost of no reveal of hidden mobs & having a sepia tint.
      • (!) Clicking on a mob by accident may start a fire in the base, hurting not only you but every player who shared the base with you.
    • Can only used at mobs and fire doesn't deal that much damage in DST.
  • Telebrella:
    • The only item why players want Wagstaff to be introduced.
  • Telipad:
    • (!) Telipads placed by different players will conflict with each other, because the Telebrella will always choose the next Telipad & Telipads aren't visible on the map unless revealed.
    • (!) Telipads will grant griefers another way to kill players easily: Wagstaff + Wickerbottom/Webber would become a new combination for griefers: Place down a Telipad somewhere on the map or if possible: In a hidden place close to the base. Place 4 Spider Dens around it or read 'On Tentacles' next to it. As soon as a player uses the Telebrella, he/she will be teleported straight into the trap & gravely damaged or killed by the spiders/tentacles. Placing Fossils around it will make it even more hard or perhaps impossible to escape this trap.
  • Thumper:
    • Destroys nearby Structures or Trees & digs up any plants nearby when activated, reducing the time to harvest Trees & allows fighting Toadstool with way less effort
    • This structure will make Woodie and Maxwell basically useless because every player will be able to harvest ~20 Trees in just a second.
    • (!) Newcomers or griefers will keep activating this thing just for fun or to understand the purpose of the Thumper, wasting all the trees you planted there at once. Telling them not to activate the Thumper won't stop them from doing it (most of them act like scientists or don't understand english at all), you'll have to kick players to farm trees in peace.

The only use of Wagstaff I see is to place Telipads & Thumpers, craft enough Telebrellas, and then swap back to another character. Besides that he has almost no other uses, and most of his other abilites are considered as cons, making him a Pick and Swap character or Winona 2.0.

The Thumper would fit into Winona's Engineering Tab because she already has access to 2 placeable structures doing tasks if powered.

After looking at these points, I don't think that it's worth it to implement Wagstaff into DST. I'd like to hear your opinions about my points, perhaps they could change my mind a bit.

23 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

(!) This item can't be repaired with the Sewing Kit & it requires Pig Skin and Pig Skin is rare in some kind of worlds because players just smash every Pig Hut they see to get enough skin for their helmets, forcing Wagstaff to have blurried vision.

That's a big if. Worlds can also lack a bunch of other resources due to poor resource-management, but tossing a character out due to that is silly. If it's a big enough deal, which is really isn't, the recipe can just be balanced.

27 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

(!) Clicking on a mob by accident may start a fire in the base, hurting not only you but every player who shared the base with you.

You can also accidentally hammer or a structure or accidentally light something with a torch. Accidents are caused by the fool using them, not the tool they are using.

28 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Destroys nearby Structures or Trees & digs up any plants nearby when activated, reducing the time to harvest Trees & allows fighting Toadstool with way less effort

This only really helps when fighting Toadstool alone. Due to the spread on the sporecap spawns you'd need a few Thumpers which will end up getting destroyed once the AoE starts anyway. If it's an investment people wanna make then I don't see the problem. Not that there's a real reason to fight Toadstool anyway.

31 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

This structure will make Woodie and Maxwell useless because every player will be able to harvest ~20 Trees in just a second.

True, but at the same time being the official "chopper" in a group is pretty boring. I hope the reworks focus more on Woodie's curse and Maxwell's shadow magic than the ability to chop quicker. It's stationary too—not a huge point but not moot either.

33 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Worst case scenario: Wagstaff will become the new character for griefers & just a pick and swap character.

As others and myself have said endlessly: trying to balance a character around griefing is just silly. If people want to grief they'll find a way to grief.

Other than that, I agree with the telipad points.

8 hours ago, Zeklo said:

You can also accidentally hammer or a structure or accidentally light something with a torch. Accidents are caused by the fool using them, not the tool they are using.

Hammer & Torch are used with RMB, if the Fryfocals are used with LMB on mobs, then they'll become a hazard for your base, because walking around may accidentally target any mob in the base. And due to the amount of fools there are ingame, you'll have to kick many fools to keep your base safe from hazards.

8 hours ago, Zeklo said:

This only really helps when fighting Toadstool alone. Due to the spread on the sporecap spawns you'd need a few Thumpers which will end up getting destroyed once the AoE starts anyway. If it's an investment people wanna make then I don't see the problem. Not that there's a real reason to fight Toadstool anyway.

I need to disagree about all your comments about Toadstool: The Thumper will be a nice device to reduce the amount of Weather Pains used against Toadstool. Even in a group, it's hard to fight Toadstool because in most cases, it will spawn its Sporecaps almost as fast as you can chop them down, leaving no time to deal damage to it. The Thumpers won't be destroyed if you handle them the right way and keep Toadstool at the center of the battlefield, and perhaps it should have at least a resistance against earthquakes due to the fact, that the Thumper creates earthquakes by itself. And even if they're about to be destroyed, it will be still worth using them because 3 Flints & 1 Hammer are way less ressources compared to how much you loose by using Weather Pains.

The reason why "there's not a real reason to fight Toadstool anyway" is because it's hard to fight Toadstool and most players don't want to prepare themself that hard to fight it. But the blueprints it drops are pretty nice actually, giving you a nice source of light for a whole season or more (esp. useful if you're settling in the caves), they'll allow you to farm caps restoring a total of 120 Health (Blue Funcap) or 90 Sanity (Green Funcap), and wearing them over time also has some benefits.

9 hours ago, Zeklo said:

True, but at the same time being the official "chopper" in a group is pretty boring. I hope the reworks focus more on Woodie's curse and Maxwell's shadow magic than the ability to chop quicker. It's stationary too—not a huge point but not moot either.

I still see players picking Wormwood & being the official "farmer" in a group. And Wormwood feels like sort of the most hardcore character in DST right now, in case of if you aren't sitting in the base 24/7. I also still see players joining as Woodie or Maxwell & gathering some logs for their team.

17 hours ago, Viktor234 said:
  • Telipad
    • (!) Telipads placed by different players will conflict with each other, because the Telebrella will always choose the next Telipad & Telipads aren't visible on the map unless revealed.
    • (!) Telipads will grant griefers another way to kill players easily by placing down a Telipad and spawning Tentacles/Spider Dens around it.

A way to fix these conflicts would be to make the Telebrella non-functional not until you use it on a Telipad (Take the item & LMB on the Telipad to save the Telipad on the Telebrella). The Telebrella will be able to save only one Telipad at once and using it on another Telipad will remove the previous Telipad from its memory: Griefers won't be able to take one Telebrella and save the Base Telipad and the Trapped Telipad on it, thus you won't need to jump straight into the trap to free the Telebrella from its curse.
Also each player will be able to place & use their own Telipad if they're playing as Wagstaff.

This will force you to get one Telebrella for each Telipad you want to use, but you'll also be able to jump quickly between two nearby Telepads. And the Telebrella will not act anymore as a Divining Rod for newcomers looking for the base. To fix that "problem", just place down a Moonlens in your base.

20 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

The Thumper would fit into Winona's Engineering Tab because she already has access to 2 placeable structures doing tasks if powered.

...tbh I'd be ok if we got some animation explaining what happened to Wagstaff and indicating that he won't be around, then Winona reverse engineers all the stuff he left behind and gets it added to her crafting tab but requiring electricity. It would kinda flesh her out more...hate to say it, but even with her high power level for killing bosses, she still feels lackluster to play. Not enough variety/utility in her crafting for a character who's completely based around that.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, Brago-sama said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm pretty sure toadstools Aoe attacks would make quick work of them. For the fight, they have relatively poor range as well. you'd need to make a few and close by. 

Honestly you'd be better off with the glass axe/weather pains even if they did work for the fight. Much less up keep/babysitting and the glass axe is pretty cheap once the stations set up

yeah especially since the glass axe can fell a spore cap in 4 chops.

Wagstaff and Winona are (almost) the same characters, but they were made for different games (DS and DST).

While Wagstaff's abilities:

• (-) Blurried vision unless he wears goggles
  • (-) looses health when eating raw food
  • (+) can use goggles

aren't as good as Winona's abilities:

• (-) Looses 5 Hunger whenever she crafts an item unless she crafted something in the last 60s
  • (-) crafts slower if hungry
  • (+) takes a free hit in the dark
  • (+) crafts twice as fast if not hungry

but his devices:

• Chops all nearby Trees in about 2 seconds at no cost
  • Teleports you quickly over a huge gap for 10% of your Telebrella

are considered better/more useful than hers:

• Deals AoE damage, expensive to craft, needs to be powered with nitre or gems if you want to use it
  • Illuminates nearby players only, needs to be powered with nitre or gems if you want to use it

In DS you can play Wagstaff at the cost of being mostly forced to wear goggles, and to swap to another character you need to finish either Adventure Mode or use the Wooden Thing. In DST, his cons are way bigger than Winona's cons and he has almost no use at all, besides the fact that he can craft the Thumper and the Telipad + Telebrellas. Swapping characters in DST is way easier than DS.

I dislike the idea to make Wagstaff or in DST also known as 'Winona 2.0' the last character, he'll become the new pick and swap character, or in other words: A waveable DST-DLC which will allow you to craft Wagstaff's items at the cost of a repaired portal. If you want to see Wagstaff implemented into DST, ask Klei for moving his Thumper & Telipad to Winona's engineering, making her less of a pick and swap character.

So please don't introduce Wagstaff as 3rd or 4th waveable DST character.

5 hours ago, Mattyington said:

This weirdly reminds me of Meet the Medic

Wolfgang: "Doctor! Are you sure this will work?"
Wagstaff: "Aha, I have no Idea!" *teleports Wolfgang into the middle of the ocean.*

Archived