100% Uptime Polluted Water Disinfector (Exploit Free)

For a long time I have been using an automated door under the Liquid Reservoir in a chlorine room to remove any germs on polluted water.
I never liked the idea of automated doors under objects, it feels like an exploit to me and I wanted to get rid of it.
So I spend some time figuring out a way to clean germy polluted water and for 90 Watts you can build your own exploit free disinfector.
Maybe there are a lot better and smaller designs out there, but I wanted to share mine :)

The idea is very Simple.

Germy Polluted water comes in, goes in one of the tanks and another tank dumps clean polluted water out.

3 Liquid Reservoirs are alternating between 3 states:

1. Input enabled, output disabled
  2. Input and output disabled
  3. Input disabled, output enabled

During the first state, the Liquid Reservoir receives polluted water so it can build up a storage to clean.
After 200 seconds both input and output of the liquid reservoir is disabled so it can start cleaning the germy polluted water.
After another 200 seconds the output is enabled and it dumps the clean polluted water out. After 200 seconds the first state in active again.

The germ sensors are there to send back the germy polluted water packets that were stored between the liquid reservoir and the liquid shutoff.

One screenshot to explain the concept and the other is the compact design with 100% up time.

5d2bb4a5862a4_DesinfectorONI.thumb.png.053499f6925697aed460228b073a3367.png

5d2bb76731e83_CompatcDesinfectorONI.thumb.png.369a1414875f0c0c9bb712762b75729d.png

Let me know if this can be useful to you ;) 

11 minutes ago, Alexander Block said:

Disinfection in a closed Liquid Reservoir - not an exploit?

Not an exploit. Only way it works, and clearly by design. Unless you want to use dupes, bottles and the ore-scrubber or think that using Chlorine for disinfection is an exploit.

14 minutes ago, Alexander Block said:

Disinfection in a closed Liquid Reservoir - not an exploit?

I believe that this was an intended mechanic so I don’t mind using it. Maybe the doors under buildings was intended as well, but it seems like an exploit.

This whole setup is rendered useless if they would just add logic inputs to the reservoirs. 

Here's a much simpler way to design one: https://imgur.com/a/e4DkzOJ

There's just a germ sensor automating a shutoff. Everything else is just taking advantage of the way piping works. When the first reservoir isn't full it'll alternate between taking in new polluted water and circulating the polluted water that's already in the reservoir so the reservoir will gain 5kg/s, and once that reservoir is full it will start a second loop that prevents new polluted water from entering the system so polluted water will only circulate with that reservoir - the additional reservoirs just allow it to handle larger amounts of polluted water if the germs aren't dying quickly enough.

11 hours ago, asdf11784 said:

Here's a much simpler way to design one

And here's an even simpler one, but then the OP wasn't asking for simpler ones.

EDIT: Just noticed signatures don't appear on the mobile version (at least, by default) so here's a link:

3 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

You seem to have hit "shift" instead of "ctrl" when trying to paste your link

It was supposed to point at my sig but I gave up on getting the | to line up. 

5 hours ago, Yunru said:

And here's an even simpler one, but then the OP wasn't asking for simpler ones.

V

Show me, I'm curious. I've bumped my head a lot of times the get this working while thinking there must be a simpeler way to do this. But I just couldnt find it.

Edit: Ignore that, it's in your signature,

I've just test your setup, and that doesnt work for me. I still get germy water on the way out.
I connected the output after everything has been cleaned. I'm not sure if I did something else wrong
I used polluted water from a vent with 5 million germs.
5d2c23cc4dcc0_TestDisinfector.thumb.png.16309c8ea06ca51501101676b89a8863.png

6 hours ago, asdf11784 said:

Here's a much simpler way to design one: https://imgur.com/a/e4DkzOJ

There's just a germ sensor automating a shutoff. Everything else is just taking advantage of the way piping works. When the first reservoir isn't full it'll alternate between taking in new polluted water and circulating the polluted water that's already in the reservoir so the reservoir will gain 5kg/s, and once that reservoir is full it will start a second loop that prevents new polluted water from entering the system so polluted water will only circulate with that reservoir - the additional reservoirs just allow it to handle larger amounts of polluted water if the germs aren't dying quickly enough.

That looks fairly simple, let me test that out tonight. Thanks! :) 

5 hours ago, Enzium said:

I've just test your setup, and that doesnt work for me. I still get germy water on the way out.

I'll look into it. In my testing it never happened, but if in doubt add another tank or duplicate it so the incoming water is split between two systems. Oh and try lengthing the feedback loop. 

Edit: I've tried reproducing this to no avail, may I have a save? 

Edit 2: I think I might know what happened. The water in the pipe that had yet to go through the feedback loop may have had germs on it, and then it went straight to the exit. I may have to clarify a few parts of the tutorial.

I love how you have improved on an existing design to make it more ... pleasing.  I know you weren't asking for other designs but does that mean we shouldn't post them here?  It's been a while since we talked about water treatment.  I've been using this lately to deal with germy water from the bathrooms in the early and mid game (or until I don't need any more fiber).  One plant consumes 160 kg per cycle and one dupes makes about 15 kg/cycle from toilet and sink.  If there is a new idea (? doubtful) here it is recirculating the pw with a bridge until the water is consumed.  The left bridge is unnecessary but I liked the way it looked :D

WaterTreatment.JPG.a4f27b7e3c9c48e753c04b6f03c04d84.JPG

Oh I think see the problem with @Yunru's  setup.  The three tanks have to be full before you let any water out.  If there ever exists a condition where the tanks aren't full when water leaves, then you don't have the dilution potential you need to make this work for the most germy of water.  To fix that you can just put an overflow detector at the input that opens an output valve, like this:5d2c719e1f25f_SepticV8F6.JPG.197619ba926420614b8f2f2afb7f109a.JPG

Automation:

Spoiler

5d2c71a132806_SepticV8auto.png.e3a5b5fea77951a2a4d43ddcbdaf6e1a.png

4 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

To fix that you can just put an overflow detector at the input that opens an output valve, like this:

Umm... It's already handled by the feedback loop?

Water can only leave if new water is coming in.

Oh ... true. :( *embarrassed*  That is indeed simpler.

Not sure then.  Three full tanks in chlorine is ... unassailable.  The only thing I can think of is that the system wasn't primed in the sense that you have to wait until germ count is zero in last tank before putting it online for the first time.

3 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

you have to wait until germ count is zero in last tank before putting it online for the first time.

That's exactly the bit I missed when writing the tutorial. Otherwise germy polluted water will be sat in the pipe waiting to go into the feedback loop. Then when you connect another output... disaster.

Excellent -- good work on that tutorial!  Sorry off topic noob question:  I saw your tutorial post just now because you happened to be looking at it, and so it showed up in your profile.  But how can I see your signature block with the post you are referring to?

10 hours ago, Sigma Cypher said:

But how can I see your signature block with the post you are referring to?

If you are viewing on your phone, they don't show up.  When you are viewing on a computer, they show up by default unless you turn them off.  My guess if that @Yunru typically uses a computer to interact with the forums, and you use a phone.

I haven't found a way to turn them ON while on my phone (short of telling the brower to load the desktop site). You can turn them off in your personal settings when using a computer. 

Archived