Why are skins still only aesthetic? As Klei could easily increase the sales of skins and at the same time give more variety to the players.

Cosmetic and Get-able even for Free2Play users. I dont see anything that has to be changed about this. Also if you dont buy the character, you get to look forward to getting them with your spools making you want to play the game more. Also Skins give artists a fun way to express a "what if" thought! There ain't a need to change anything about the skin/DLC character System, it couldn't be any way more perfect

Geez, what a controversial little post. Lots of hostility, arguments, and paragraphs here.

Here's my take on it. 

Personally, I don't think that skins should be anything more than cosmetic. The only reason their prices suck is because it's not managed by Klei. BUT, if your idea were to go through, I think the changes should be very minimal.

Guest of Honor: Gives Garland sanity at all times, but removes 5% of max HP

Triumphant: Nightmares won't aggro onto you as often
     Un-Triumphant: Nightmares will aggro onto you more often

Survivor: Sanity effects are 5% less effective. This works both ways.

Roseate: Picking flowers gives slightly more sanity, and roses don't hurt you.

Hallowed Nights:
     Wilson: Pigs will be loyal for 5% longer
     Willow: Lower aggro radius for Dragonfly
     Wolfgang: 5% higher chance of loot drops from MacTusks
     Wendy: Lureplants will be slightly less aggressive
     WX-78: 5% more runspeed
     Wickerbottom: Lightning will spawn near her a bit more often. (Great for WX and Volt Goats)
     Woodie: Treeguards won't spawn as often
     Wes: Mandrakes will understand his plight, and will remain silent
     Maxwell: Always has a base naughtiness
     Wigfrid: Does 5% more damage to Deerclops
     Webber: Batilisks are less aggressive
     Winona: Grass Gekkos are less afraid.
Or, alternatively:
     All characters get a higher chance of candy/trinket drops with kills.

Soooo... yeah. That's my idea. Honestly, the only one of these I'd even remotely want in-game is the Hallowed Nights costume perks. But only during that event's duration, since every player can have the skin for free temporarily anyway.

But I think that skins are just fine how they currently are. Just a harmless little way to make yourself look nicer.

50 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

snip

God, I love this comment. This one right here. If anyone wants to take anything from this manurestorm of a thread, please be this suggestion.
This is a nice, interesting but not gamebreaking way of implementing the loadout aspect. If skins ever become anything more than aesthetic, I hope it's this way.

It's simple, it's in-character, it's unique, and it's completely irrelevant for the long run (save for WX-Rook suggestion, but as a fellow WX main... i feel ya). No one buys a Skin set for an overly-specific trait with not much impact on the overall experience, but it'd still be one of those "oh, nifty" moments when you restore 6-7 sanity instead of 5 per flower.

I still don't believe this feature is in any way viable at the moment, but eh, theorizing is fun!

Spoiler

Minotaur Skin: Has the Ancient Guardian marked on the map
Uncorrupted Skin: Killing Krampus also has a 1% chance of spawning a Baby Beefalo

Hollow Skin: Starts with the Mushroom Planter recipe unlocked
Oasis Skin: Has a 10% chance of activating the Bramble Trap effect when the Chest slot is empty

13 minutes ago, AdventZen said:

God, I love this comment. This one right here. If anyone wants to take anything from this manurestorm of a thread, please be this suggestion.
This is a nice, interesting but not gamebreaking way of implementing the loadout aspect. If skins ever become anything more than aesthetic, I hope it's this way.

It's simple, it's in-character, it's unique, and it's completely irrelevant for the long run (save for WX-Rook suggestion, but as a fellow WX main... i feel ya). No one buys a Skin set for an overly-specific trait with not much impact on the overall experience, but it'd still be one of those "oh, nifty" moments when you restore 6-7 sanity instead of 5 per flower.

I still don't believe this feature is in any way viable at the moment, but eh, theorizing is fun!

Reveal hidden contents

Minotaur Skin: has the Ancient Guardian marked on the map

I'm glad that someone doesn't think I look insane. 

And for WX's Rook perk, I honestly had nothing else I could have thought of. Ram damage would be too exploitable. A new run animation for it would do more than enough for me, though.

I'm glad I didn't go deeper and do every skin and character, Wortox would've been a mess, haha.

The general concept is that if skins are to provide any sort of perk, it should be something that changes barely anything. They exist purely just so that everybody looks different, so that every player isn't just the same default look, and has their own distinct personality. 

As someone else said, skin perks would lead to metas. Metas lead to everyone looking the same.

Which would defeat the original purpose of the skins in the first place.

EDIT: Also, I love those concepts! They seem so miniscule, yet so fun.

I'm gonna have to be honest, when I read this post I thought it was just a blatant joke. Skins are cosmetics, because they're cool to collect, offer a mean of income for Klei, and add uniqueness to characters in the multiplayer setting. What you're suggesting throws off everything Klei has promised the community and is just short of selling out. 

Here's to still hoping this is just some meme or something.

On 7/14/2019 at 5:26 PM, Brago-sama said:

Yeah but think of the  K̶a̶r̶m̶a̶ ̶ happy face emotes

I think it's just human nature to bandwagon on popular ideas. Everyone wants a voice, especially if they see it's going to be a "correct" opinion 

Or, like...maybe we ACTUALLY agree with it.  Maybe? That's a possibility that exists in the universe?

Only bandwagoning for "karma points"...agreeing once they see it's a "popular opinion".  HO-ly crap.  Is this the gamer community equivalent of accusing people of (dramatic voice) VIRTUE SIGNALLING? (/dramatic voice)  Because it sounds like it is.  Or you were just in a bitter mood when you wrote that, I dunno.

I hate it..._because it's a hateable idea_.  Popular?  (spits)  I ditched the idea of even TRYING to be a Popular Kid in school at age 10.  (Because they were bullies.)  And you guys know me.  If I feel strongly about something in an unpopular way, I will DEFINITELY say it, every time...even if it causes a flame war and gets me a(NOTHER) warning point for not-swearing.

("everyone wants a voice especially if they see it's going to be a 'correct' opinion" my butt. wow.  just wow.)

...Notorious

25 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

VIRTUE SIGNALLING?

I have no reason to lie about what I think about this thread or the people in it barring the obvious rules. With my interactions with people on the ps4 I'm inclined to believe 80% of you are children. No not in an insulting way but actual children aged from 8 to 16. As such I'm voicing what appears to be common at that age group:echo chambers. Mimicking behavior from others.

25 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Or, like...maybe we ACTUALLY agree with it.  Maybe? That's a possibility that exists in the universe?

It's probably a mix of both really. It's also possible to agree with something and also be bandwagoning at the same time.

Don't be so glum chum. If you read my original post as instigative or or in poor taste. It was merely an observation that I made at the time that I made with my experience.

Clearly you disagree and that's ok. It's good to have a strong opinion. I made this post to better explain my original post to you. I wont try to convince/persuade you after this post.

On 13. 7. 2019 at 1:50 PM, Pop Guy said:

Long ago, in a faraway galaxy, DST had only cosmetic content for payment only.
Life was simple, everyone was happy.
Then the great schism happened: Klei decided to sell some new characters, and the community broke: who agreed, who didn't.
Discussions, protests, everybody said something. But in the end, we all accepted the new reality: now DST, even if only in small part, was a game where not all the contents were available whit only the purchase of game.
Now, given that now the game has paid's content that is not only more cosmetic ... why not give the skins the ability to change the characteristics of a character? Obviously these would be small and balanced changes (for each addition there is also a defect). Not only that, they would be optional modifications (that is, the player can decide whether to use the "powers" granted by a skin or use it as now, only as an aesthetic decoration).
In short, doing so Klei would give players the opportunity to "create their own characters" without the use of mods, increasing variety and making skins more attractive, increasing their earnings with very little effort (no new animation, just a technical change of statistics and parameters for each garment)
In short, a simple solution that would make everyone happy.

On the one hand, we like this idea, but on the other hand I disagree with you. I like the idea of adding skin properties to DST, but only to PvP, as already mentioned. Since PvP could be much more interesting with this change, I think more people would play PvP.

But I also heard from you the idea that it mentions adding this update to a normal game with a higher profit. But I think Klei missed it and probably knows why I think if they needed money for vivoj DST, they certainly wouldn't give a lot of free stuff and give us a free daily gift every day, thank you for improving my collection :)
I think in vanila DST it wouldn't be good, but for PvP it would mean new possibilities and interesting combinations of skins on some PvP servers.
I also do not know why you are not talking about threads that will allow you to buy some selected skin for free. These fibers are not a problem to get mainly with daily gifts. Therefore, I consider it a possible way to get skin. But people who invest a lot of money in the game and have all the skyny with this update would be too much OP on normal servers to survive, but after Klei restored some characters, then it would be totally useless because the player could dress up. A super suit that would balance character traits and unnecessarily build a character because suits could outweigh their annoyances.

So in PvP OK :) but certainly not in normal suvival mode :(

This sounds like a good idea on paper, but in execution, this would probably happen:

>Majority of community says "This skin is now meta"

>Everyone buys said skins.

>Prices go up.

>People complain that the game is now Pay-to-Win.

In terms of what the prices would actually look like after a bit, think "GoH Wendy"

Archived