Why are skins still only aesthetic? As Klei could easily increase the sales of skins and at the same time give more variety to the players.

Long ago, in a faraway galaxy, DST had only cosmetic content for payment only.
Life was simple, everyone was happy.
Then the great schism happened: Klei decided to sell some new characters, and the community broke: who agreed, who didn't.
Discussions, protests, everybody said something. But in the end, we all accepted the new reality: now DST, even if only in small part, was a game where not all the contents were available whit only the purchase of game.
Now, given that now the game has paid's content that is not only more cosmetic ... why not give the skins the ability to change the characteristics of a character? Obviously these would be small and balanced changes (for each addition there is also a defect). Not only that, they would be optional modifications (that is, the player can decide whether to use the "powers" granted by a skin or use it as now, only as an aesthetic decoration).
In short, doing so Klei would give players the opportunity to "create their own characters" without the use of mods, increasing variety and making skins more attractive, increasing their earnings with very little effort (no new animation, just a technical change of statistics and parameters for each garment)
In short, a simple solution that would make everyone happy.

I don't like it. I prefer having skinned characters behave the same. Sure I posted a similar idea but that was a community thing that would only be applied to certain servers for a limited time.(Idea was to have mod that changes character perks depending on skin and mod could be used by community groups to make their own events, could also download mod to have on your own server, was never made)

The only reason most people are okay with skins costing real money is that they're purely cosmetic. I don't think it would "make everyone happy" if Wendy got a new ability locked behind her $40 Guest of Honor skin, for example. Even if we look at this idea in the context of the reworks (where nearly every character skin can be woven), there will always be the Costume Collection's skins.

And then does this extend to item and structure skins? Would a warhound helm have extra protection against hounds? Would a creepy cauldron give extra sanity from cooked recipes? Would a tesla coil lantern have a larger light radius? Would a brute case keep animals like rabbits alive for longer? Where does it end?

This kind of stuff gets into very dangerous territory quickly, and I can already see the outrage that it would cause.

As much as I like the idea of giving characters new playstyles, making it locked behind skins is... a bad idea. 

Then again, there is that argument that Wortox and Wormwood are P2W, but at the very least they're weavable. not to mention that it's only 2 characters you have to weave. But to make special playstyles locked behind skins that can cost up to 40$ - or require players to wait half a year for the 15$-ish dollar collection - is insane. Even if all of the skins are weavable, most players are going to eventually feel forced to pay SOMEONE because they don't 50k spools to use.

Please, let's not make skins P2W. Klei are the only developers I know that don't suffocate their games with DLCs, microtransactions, and all that other stuff EA does. 

I do like certain skin effects, like the shadow/glittering effect of the Walking Cane skins, the clouds/bats of the Ice Box skins, etc.

But skins which affect the gameplay are definetly a no. Do you want to see players hammering your whole base, only because you used the wrong skins on your structures?

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

I do like certain skin effects, like the shadow/glittering effect of the Walking Cane skins, the clouds/bats of the Ice Box skins, etc.

But skins which affect the gameplay are definetly a no. Do you want to see players hammering your whole base, only because you used the wrong skins on your structures?

Viktor totally agree. You said what I was thinking as I read the comments. No don't give skins abilities.

Please no. 

The purchased DLC characters are fine, because the game's original asking price is a minuscule $16.99 in Canadian currency. This ain't no $80 game that includes DLC (which should be free, considering we're paying $80)

Skins having unique attributes would and could be abused since Wardrobes exist. :wilson_curious:

As if getting kicked for picking the wrong character wasn't bad enough, now you'll get kicked for picking the wrong skin for the right character too!

I do quite like the idea of 'legendary' skins, though. Like a skin that is more expensive than the average, but comes with some new quotes, new font, a voice filter and maybe some cool effect like glow-in-the-dark eyes (aesthetics. not enough to ward off charlie)

Inb4 Klei: Sorry fans, we have to delay RoT and refreshes because we need to come up with 100+ new effect to make each character skin unique!

Seriously tho, no please. Blocking characters' abilities of full effectiveness behind a paywall or grind isn't a good idea. Heck, even making RoT a payable DLC would be a better option, if Klei needed more money for DST.

Also, I don't want to feel forced to use a skin that I don't like.

I don't think skins would be a good way to introduce this system into the game. I think picking a character itself is enough customization /: 

I've only seen this kind of system in Team Fortress 2 with weapon choices, I don't think this would work for DST. Maybe for something like the forge? I dunno,  I see why you think it might be cool. I guess it could work, but I'm not sure how.

Example of this system:

Spoiler

image.png.9a3abecbc39555885c33e5f3569bd564.png

image.png.0229932ab8eb18759633fbd2e00387e3.png

The new option is just as good as the original, depends on preference.

Couldn't see this system working outside of the forge though.

Locking stat boosts and adjustments behind a random drop system doesn't seem like the best idea to me. Even if the stat changes have bonuses and drawbacks, a meta will still develop (see TF2). Eventually, all the Wilsons, Willows, etc., will look exactly the same, defeating the purpose of skins. This also means newer players are at a strict disadvantage because they will not have the spool stash that most older players built up over past events. 

7 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

DST, even if only in small part, was a game where not all the contents were available whit only the purchase of game

Except you can actually weave both characters without paying a single damn-dimma-dime.

2700 spools is not a lot, It's more of an incentive to keep playing and working towards that one cool character you seen once than anything. How can people be so blind to this fact? just because you can pay, does not mean you have to pay. Also, I admire the idea of Loadout skins and skin effects, but I don't believe this would align with the game's current schedule and plans, as they already have a fairly big plate on their hands with the Oceans.

Archived