The nerfed wheezwort no longer self planting anymore?

19 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Is it more fun having to build steam turbines everywhere than exploring the map?

I hereby humbly request that we retire this particular bit of hyperbole.  :)

You're free to dislike the recent changes and you're encouraged to tell the developers what you think of them.  But the assertion that steam turbines are now the only means of dealing with heat is demonstrably false, and the notion that we have to spam them everywhere even more so.

1 hour ago, goboking said:

I hereby humbly request that we retire this particular bit of hyperbole.  :)

You're free to dislike the recent changes and you're encouraged to tell the developers what you think of them.  But the assertion that steam turbines are now the only means of dealing with heat is demonstrably false, and the notion that we have to spam them everywhere even more so.

They are the most optimal and the only late game tool besides venting stuff to space (which annoys me a lot as a hoarder). Have a volcano? Steam turbine. A really hot geyser? Steam turbine. Heavy line of metal refineries? Steam turbine. Rocket exhaustion? Steam turbine. Oil/Gas cooker? Steam turbine!!!

AETN's, WW's and Ice machines are jokes compared to that monster.

While only Ice machine, weak as it currently is, can be built anywhere in the map, WW's have strong requisites (fertilization or the conditions to be met for a very weak wild plant) and AETN's can't even be moved... Steam turbine? Just throw it wherever you want, in the number you'd like and voila! Much better and effective than anything else I can think of.

ST's are cheap, flexible, easy to understand, heat deleter... the only con being a bit time consuming to setup depending on how your colony is.

They are everywhere in my maps, maybe I'm not creative enough. With the right combinations they can provide refined metal, useful gasses, industrial cooking of materials, heat deletion and last but not least, power.

You're only partially right, I dislike some of the changes, not all of them. I mostly disliked the nerf to ice machine and wheezeworts to give place to the steam turbine king and ruler of all. Not because of difficulty increase, but the reducing of viable options. I don't care about changes in wildplanting except for the fact it obliterated even more lettuce and WW making them worthless. You're right assuming I really don't like the fact that steam turbines are the very center of the game and that we need them pretty heavily to stay effective. Good for you if you figured out how to avoid them in number.

I hereby humbly request that we all assume how over powered steam turbines are. :)

21 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

They are the most optimal and the only late game tool besides venting stuff to space (which annoys me a lot as a hoarder).

The beauty of this game is you don't have to play optimally if you don't want to.  Trust me, I've conceded much efficiency in the name of fun and/or aesthetics.

25 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

AETN's, WW's and Ice machines are jokes compared to that monster.

AETNs still have their place.  Ice machines, and presumably wheezeworts now, are meant to be used as early game/low-tech solutions for spot cooling, buying us plenty of time to engineer more elaborate cooling systems with steam turbines, radiators/heat sinks, or AETNs.

27 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

I don't care about changes in wildplanting except for the fact it obliterated even more lettuce

That's a problem with lettuce, not wild planting.  If lettuce isn't viable without wild planting then lettuce needs to be rebalanced.

31 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

I hereby humbly request that we all assume how over powered steam turbines are. :)

They're excellent at what they do.  But then again, so were wheezeworts.  ;)

10 minutes ago, goboking said:

The beauty of this game is you don't have to play optimally if you don't want to.  Trust me, I've conceded much efficiency in the name of fun and/or aesthetics.

AETNs still have their place.  Ice machines, and presumably wheezeworts now, are meant to be used as early game/low-tech solutions for spot cooling, buying us plenty of time to engineer more elaborate cooling systems with steam turbines, radiators/heat sinks, or AETNs.

That's a problem with lettuce, not wild planting.  If lettuce isn't viable without wild planting then lettuce needs to be rebalanced.

They're excellent at what they do.  But then again, so were wheezeworts.  ;)

Your answer is not a demonstration as you said my opinion is 'demonstrably false'. You just emphasized how our opinions diverge from each other and that's absolutely fine.

***This is not a request for a demonstration (which I think isn't adequate as it seems to be a matter of taste) and if you bother to do so I want to warn you I'm not good enough with numbers to keep replying. But hey, someone else will probably do and the discussion will keep being feed which is good. :D

• Developer
5 hours ago, goboking said:

But the assertion that steam turbines are now the only means of dealing with heat is demonstrably false

of course its not the only means of dealing with heat, but its the only good means of dealing with heat, all the other options for heat deletion are awful compared to steam turbines, PLUS you get free power.

Archived