[Game Update] - 351082

58 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Elements will now correctly flow past buildings which are non-operational (such as overpressure vents)

Great! Now we just need a fix for fertilizer/microchips not being applied
Actually, it seems this patch somehow fixed that! (maybe the lights were causing issues)

Edited by TreyR9

49 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Rooms requiring a light now counts light bugs, but doesn't count disconnected lights.

Disabled Water Coolers reign supreme once again. - Until they get the same treatment, tomorrow!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:
  • Rooms requiring a light now counts light bugs, but doesn't count disconnected lights.''

Honestly this is just a nuisance change that makes wiring more of a mess than it already is.

• Pips now plant seeds according to a broader set of rules that suit each seed, rather than just checking for dirt

Translation: People found a way to make wheezewort slightly useful again by using pips to plant them, so we are stopping that. Also, making sure pip run lettuce farms aren't a thing.

Look if you hate wheezewort that badly, just delete them from the game. I would rather see them completely gone than to deal with an item that is so completely worthless that it is another seed that ends up cluttering up storage.

Quite the overreaction there. First one is just plain wrong.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, goboking said:

Sounds like a good excuse to give us a bioluminescence biome.  :)

Let's put some Juke-box, a pitcher-pump with ethanol below, some flickering light bulb with filter/buffer gates, and let's rave underground. Yippee-kay-yay. 

Edited by OxCD
  • Like 2

Just now, bleeter6 said:

Quite the overreaction there. First one is just plain wrong.

Isn't an overreaction, just a statement of a fact. The first statement is not wrong, the lighting requirement is a nuisance given the extremely limited selection of lights, the tile/space restriction and the fact that wiring is already a rats nest no matter what you do.

Wheezewort have been nerfed into oblivion  (They needed nerfing, but there is a line). Right now the amount of resources they consume for the benefit they provide render their unmanageable for any base until late game and at that point you have better options. The one work around was to use pips to replant them as wild so they at least didn't consume stupid amounts of resources. they couldn't be used in an automated way with this, but that was fine. 

• Like 6

Thank you for address many issues! I always thought self planting seeds and wild farms were way too powerful. Food shouldn't be as easy as fire and forget resource free crops. Like the rest of ONI, it requires planning, labor, and resources that can potentially be replenished with feedback loops...

With that, a puff buff would be awesome

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Ethanol distillery won't drop polluted dirt until a certain amount has been produced

So they are finally giving sane numbers? Had to employ an autosweeper and a whole lot of crabs just to barely manage what it was giving before.

8 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:

Honestly this is just a nuisance change that makes wiring more of a mess than it already is.

I hardly feel like having high quality rooms require lighting is all that difficult and it makes sense that duplicants would gain better moral when they are better able to see what they are doing.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

14 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:

Translation: People found a way to make wheezewort slightly useful again by using pips to plant them, so we are stopping that. Also, making sure pip run lettuce farms aren't a thing.

I'm curious, did you actually test the pip planting rules for wheezewort specifically, or are you making an unfounded assumption?  When I read this, my assumption was that they fixed the issue of pips not being able to plant sleet wheat, by allowing them to now plant it on ice/snow or something.

Look if you hate wheezewort that badly, just delete them from the game. I would rather see them completely gone than to deal with an item that is so completely worthless that it is another seed that ends up cluttering up storage.

This seems rather hyperbolic.  I don't think there is any evidence that they hate wheezewort.  Instead, when they did the balance pass on all heat manipulation mechanics, wheezeworts were balanced as well.  They are now in line with other plants and early heat deletion mechanics.  I am rather confident that wheezeworts could still be used very effectively under the current system.  It is just that they are more of an early-game tool now, rather than an end-game tool (at least without extensive and creative usage).  I do not see this as a bad thing.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Risu said:

So they are finally giving sane numbers? Had to employ an autosweeper and a whole lot of crabs just to barely manage what it was giving before.

I just let that be there, and offgass polluted oxygen, then filter it. Theoretically it creates 166g of PO2 per second... Just need to get up to 200t of polluted dirt for each distillery, and it sustains a dupe and a half. 

Edited by Radam

12 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:

Isn't an overreaction, just a statement of a fact. The first statement is not wrong, the lighting requirement is a nuisance given the extremely limited selection of lights, the tile/space restriction and the fact that wiring is already a rats nest no matter what you do.

While a third lighting option could find a use, the other points are unjustified. Tile/space restriction ? I suppose every tile of your map is used for something better than a light then ? Space has, and never will be an issue, for anyone. And about your messy wiring ? You're the only one responsible for that.

12 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:

Wheezewort have been nerfed into oblivion  (They needed nerfing, but there is a line). Right now the amount of resources they consume for the benefit they provide render their unmanageable for any base until late game and at that point you have better options. The one work around was to use pips to replant them as wild so they at least didn't consume stupid amounts of resources. they couldn't be used in an automated way with this, but that was fine.

The amount of ressources they consume ? They consume some phosphorite, in which we literally swim early game, and isn't used for anything else before fertilizer production and good quality plants farming, at which point you certainly can slap a quick drecko ranch on lilies for infinite phosphorite. And very soon after, other cooling methods become available. Which leads to a single valid question : are you certain that you are playing ONI and not some other game ?

Edited by qda
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Tourman said:

Buildings like the stable and medic bay keep saying they are outside of the stable or hospital, but I can see the room bonus is being applied in the overlay, and I have a light. Seems like this update broke some building.

Same for me

1 minute ago, qda said:

While a third lighting option could find a use, the other points are unjustified. Tile/space restriction ? I suppose every tile of your map is used for something better than a light then ? Space has, and never will be an issue, for anyone. And about your messy wiring ? You're the only one responsible for that.

The amount of ressources they consume ? Is this a joke ? They consume some phosphorite, in which we literally swim early game, and isn't used for anything else before fertilizer production and good quality plants farming, at which point you certainly can slap a quick drecko ranch on lilies for infinite phosphorite. Which leads to the only question ? Are you sure you are playing ONI and not some other game ?

An efficient sized duplicant room is 4 tiles by 4 tiles. By the time you add a comfy bed a plant and artwork there is exactly 1 tile for a light. Sure space might not be relevant to you if you never progress beyond cots, but some of us have. I have enough wires running various systems in a base where dragging off yet another branch just to run a bunch of silly lights just makes an unnecessary mess. Again let me be clear, it isn't hard, it doesn't add any challenge on any level it is just a nuisance..an irritation that serves Zero purpose. 

Not every map has plentiful phosphorite and the amount of it isn't important. Dupe time is your single more important resource. The amount of resources that wheezewort currently consumer which includes dupe time, makes them trash. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Probably the pipsqueak sleep animation.  All the baby critters have sleep animations.

33 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Sleeping pipsqueak, they curl up into a ball.

...I know what it is, I am the person running the data mining thread after all.

Spoiler

And neither of you answered my second question. :wilson_sneaky:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Ethanol distillery won't drop polluted dirt until a certain amount has been produced

Can we get a similar pass on pufts?  Chasing down tiny droplets of slime isn't a good use of dupe time.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:

An efficient sized duplicant room is 4 tiles by 4 tiles. By the time you add a comfy bed a plant and artwork there is exactly 1 tile for a light. Sure space might not be relevant to you if you never progress beyond cots, but some of us have. I have enough wires running various systems in a base where dragging off yet another branch just to run a bunch of silly lights just makes an unnecessary mess. Again let me be clear, it isn't hard, it doesn't add any challenge on any level it is just a nuisance..an irritation that serves Zero purpose. 

Not every map has plentiful phosphorite and the amount of it isn't important. Dupe time is your single more important resource. The amount of resources that wheezewort currently consumer which includes dupe time, makes them trash. 

Good thing a light in a barracks or bedroom isn't needed!! It's actually counterproductive for sleeping!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

An efficient sized duplicant room is 4 tiles by 4 tiles.

Spoiler

Then you won't have to worry about it either way, because the minimum room size is 12.

A 4x4 room is 8 tiles, which is under the minimum required size.

[REDACTED DUE TO SHEER STUPIDITY]

Somebody doesn't know about automation and building a network of non-dupe transport. :wilson_sneaky:

Edited by watermelen671

1 minute ago, watermelen671 said:

Not to be pedantic, but a 4x4 room is 16 tiles.  So, it would actually be the correct size.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, watermelen671 said:

Then you won't have to worry about it either way, because the minimum room size is 12.

Ummm... As wrong as he is (since you don't need art in bedrooms if you've a plant, leaving plenty of room for the lights you don't need), 4x4 is 16 :p

27 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:

Sorry, still no valid points. What you see as efficient is a 4x4 room. My opinion may differ. You can make single bed bedrooms of 96 tiles and still have space on your map for everything else you need and beyond that. Moreover, there is no light requirement for bedrooms, quite the opposite in fact. Comfy beds ? Never heard about them, you must feel so good by having built one during your immense and successful ONI career, what an achievement. I do also have wires, ****loads of them in fact. I mean electricty is quite useful, isn't ? However, I still manage to make a quite tidy and clean network. I may repeat myself, but they're not asking to run a wire through every single tile on a map, so if your wiring is messy, take a look at your methods and ask yourself if you could improve before blaming the game design.

27 minutes ago, DekothOGN said:

Terra has boatloads of phosphorite. Other asteroid archetypes are meant to have missing/alternative ressources to give players a challenging play. If you don't want to be challenged, play terra. And while I have to agree with you on the fact that dupe time is probably the most important ressource, saying that contradicts the second half of your sentence. You have to manage your dupe time, as it is a finite ressource. The word managing is important here, because it offers you an infinite amount of possibilities, one being cutting dupe time from another task to focus on wheezeworts. So unless you're already managing your dupe at perfection and there's no place in your perfect world for any other task, which I highly doubt, you can certainly improve and refocus your priorities. That is the essence of managing something. And if you don't want to manage stuff, I could recommend you some other, equally great games.

Edited by qda
  • Like 3