[Game Update] - 350563

• Developer
  • Seed self-planting has been disabled again. Wild plants will no longer replant themselves if they get uprooted.
  • Pips are more picky about where they plant seeds, and won't crowd wild plants too close together.
  • More tooltips have received formatting
  • Fix duplicant's characteristics on the monument
  • Coal Generator CO2 output temperature has been corrected
  • Sink/Sanitizer/Ore Scrubber shows outputs under the correct heading in the building details
  • Duplicants no longer get stuck in a falling loop inside a door
    • Also Slicksters
  • Added "Tofu" food item
  • Tweaks to victory sequences
  • Remove a Journal entry that was crashing
  • Further revisions to Saltvine animations
  • Revisions to the Nosh Sprout animations
  • "Never autosave" actually won't save now
  • Can dump ice from the icemaker from the building's details panel
  • Decor plants now count as plants for Nature Reserves and Parks
    • But Tree branches do not
  • Fabricators will resume progress if the errand is interrupted
    • And also after save/load
  • Pip's "rummage" action no longer makes items invalid
  • Items produced by rummaging are displayed in the correct order
  • New Ethanol Distillery animations
  • "Large Glaciers" from world traits are created ice-cold, so they don't instantly melt
  • Large Boulders are a little smaller, and all boulders contain some igneous rock
  • Fixed a worldgen bug which was preventing things from being spawned, notably seeds in Ice biomes
  • Add a muckroot variant for the Forest starts. It's much more rare but contains lots of calories.
  • Fix crash when opening a Database entry for a tutorial that doesn't have a video
  • Updated Pip cheek artwork
  • Fix issue causing missing tooltips and incorrect cursors on the Build menu
  • Pipe optimizations have been added back in, along with bug fixes for:
    • Crashes when loops are created
    • Crashes when single pipes are destroyed
    • Pipe contents getting "blocked" by inline sources

View full update

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Seed self-planting has been disabled again. Wild plants will no longer replant themselves if they get uprooted.
  • Pips are more picky about where they plant seeds, and won't crowd wild plants too close together.

Forcing us to deal with pips but still allowing wild planting is the worst possible situation.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

I little don't understand.

Seed self-planting has been disabled again. Wild plants will no longer replant themselves if they get uprooted.

so only wild plants not "replant themselves", so when player put on ground then they still replant themselves?

8 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Forcing us to deal with pips but still allowing wild planting is the worst possible situation.

I dunno, I like it—adds an extra mechanic, and making it hard/impossible to have "perfect" wild farms is good, IMO.  At best, you get a mostly wild farm out (spacing, randomness)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@Ipsquiggle since this is the last patch before release - can someone please do a balance pass on critters (mainly pufts - they are useless currently). and also look into geysers outputs? CO2/polluted oxygen/hydrogen/etc. some of them are again useless

and by "last patch" i mean last major update before release

Edited by Khullag
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Nsuidara said:

I little don't understand.

so only wild plants not "replant themselves", so when player put on ground then they still replant themselves?

Only way to have wild plants now is for Pips to plant the seeds, you can no longer drop seeds on the ground and wait for the plant to grow

• Like 1

Just now, Gnarmaw said:

Only way to have wild plants now is for Pips to plant the seeds, you can no longer drop seeds on the ground and wait for the plant to grow

but here " Wild plants will no longer replant themselves if they get uprooted"

IF they get uprooted ... not like when you got new seed and put ... 
if they no longer replant themselves why they added set. "if they get uprooted"

6 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Is it? Do you think anyone will really go through the tedium of uprooting wild plants until they get pips to plant them in the exact configuration they want?

I personally now file wild planting into “cute thing pips do, but don’t count on it for anything important”. Maybe a couple of thimble reeds, and that’s it.

• Like 8

Just now, pacovf said:

Is it? Do you think anyone will really go through the tedium of uprooting wild plants until they get pips to plant them in the exact configuration they want?

Locking a bunch of pips in a room with one type of seeds and waiting for them to seed the area is just a more tedious and stupid variant of constructing lines of 1 seed storage containers and deconstructing them.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We gained wild planting and effectively lost it again right after I started to develop strategies for it :(

However the biggest issue I have with plants is actually domestic plants. They stop completely if you run out of fertilizer. This means uprooting wild plants, domesticating them and then run out of fertilizer means you are worse off than if you didn't uproot them. This makes wild uprooting dangerous.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

giphy.gif

Edited by Saturnus
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Khullag said:

can someone please do a balance pass on critters (mainly pufts - they are useless currently).

My pufts are fine thank you very much. That's food for 5 dupes right there, tons of shells and Oxylite for later.

Untitled.thumb.png.21878dcbb27706c347463bbc97db9d56.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Wild planting would have trivialized food production, so disabling it but for pips, who we can't fully control, is a good compromise, in my humble opinion.

• Like 27

2 minutes ago, goboking said:

Wild planting would have trivialized food production, so disabling it but for pips, who we can't fully control, is a good compromise, in my humble opinion.

Adjusting seed drop chances and conditions would have been better.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Saturnus said:

I, too, would like the Agricultural Upgrade system back. Wild farming as it was before this update would make farming something you do only in early game, so I'm definitely here with @goboking

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Nsuidara said:

but here " Wild plants will no longer replant themselves if they get uprooted"

IF they get uprooted ... not like when you got new seed and put ... 

I think you're ignoring the "self-planting has been disabled" part of that. 

Because certain plants can get uprooted without dupe interaction and the note is alerting players of that.

8 minutes ago, goboking said:

You don't need to fully control them, just make them able to only do what you want and nothing else and eventually they do what you want (and nothing else).

Locking them in a room with only the seeds you want planted is easy, effective, boring and tedious. Afterwards you can wrangle the pips away.

• Like 3

Just now, Coolthulhu said:

You don't need to fully control them, just make them able to only do what you want and nothing else and eventually they do what you want (and nothing else).

Locking them in a room with only the seeds you want planted is easy, effective, boring and tedious. Afterwards you can wrangle the pips away.

It's more about them not crowding seeds, meaning you can't spam wild crops everywhere.

• Like 6

Just now, Saturnus said:
4 minutes ago, goboking said:

If plants/seeds are the limiting factor, there would be more encouragement to domesticate wild plants.

(Which is a good thing in my eyes. Waiting till my wild plants produced enough seeds for my "real" farm seems always a bit wrong.

But I like the wild planting mechnic in the way that you can go back to a wild state after you messed up one of the requirements to domesticate the plant in the first place.)

=> I would even argue for no additional seeds [Except maybe sleet wheat^^]

Spoiler

We can´t destroy seeds without trying really hard to break the game (even an untamed volcano or rocket exhaust will not do it).

=> So remove food providing seeds from the care packages and the only renewable way left for additional seeds would be space destinations.

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t want to limit our end game or punish huge colonies. Our potential for oxygen is mostly determined by the geyser we roll (spare me the alchemy here^^), and so our duplicant limit.

Why not introduce a seccond layer by restricting monocultures.

I guarantee you will find enough wild plants and seeds even on ravanging hunger, but it will make you think more about using different plants. (No more 100+ monoculture farms)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Coolthulhu said:

Boring and tedious?  It doesn't require any player interaction, you can just do other things while you wait.  It's no different than waiting for an order of steel to finish before you can do whatever your building project is.  Just come back after a cycle or two to wrangle the pip(s), deconstruct the drop point, and you're done.

• Like 2