Have you tried

inst.components.talker:Say(GetString(inst, "ANNOUNCE_COLD"))

I can't find anywhere where it actually reacts to cold by playing an animation, so I'm guessing there may be some code listening for announcements and pushing the fitting animation for it if there is one. Sort of like an emote, but automatic.

Oh well, worth a try. I can't find it anywhere. Find out what the animation is called (it should be in the animation build for the player) and do a search through the game code for that name. It must be triggered somewhere.

If you just want it to happen once when the character equips it, you can put the lines into the OnEquip function of the item. If you want it to continuously trigger the animation, then you have to start a periodic task, which you then stop in OnUnequip.

That's odd. OnEquip should be called every time you equip it. Try putting a print-statement in the onequip function to verify. If your onequip is indeed called, there may be something else going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

I have no idea, m8. I'm just guessing things here. Now you've established that whatever code you need can be triggered in onequip, but apparently it doesn't work unless you pick it up from the ground. Unless you've added a check for whether "owner" is false, it should be crashing if there is no owner. Just to be sure, you did change the lines to this, right?

owner.AnimState:PlayAnimation("idle_shiver_pre")
owner.AnimState:PushAnimation("idle_shiver_loop")

I'd guess it's somehow in a state where it can't play the animation, then.

Try this:

-- This line outside and above both functions.
local freezetask = nil

-- This in onequip
freezetask = owner:DoPeriodicTask(5.0, function(inst)
	inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("idle_shiver_pre")
	inst.AnimState:PushAnimation("idle_shiver_loop")
end)

-- This in onunequip
freezetask:Cancel()

That should keep playing the animation every 5 seconds, if it's in a state where it can. Since they're called something with "idle", I guess your character has to be idle for it to play (complete speculation, though).

You can adjust the 5 seconds to whatever you like.

Edited by Ultroman

Ah, ok.

Oops, I just saw a bug in my previous code. I've fixed it in the previous post (changed it from owner.AnimState to inst.AnimState, since the scope changed from the code we had previously).

Edited by Ultroman