DarkMaster13

Crowd-sourcing the difficulty levels of each asteroid type

Vuelhering    11
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I just started up a game on Aridio (with measurable traits like geodes) and it definitely had some challenge. But I got food and O2 going without any real issues and just found enough sand for water sieve and deodorizers. It's a slow start for sure. I think the main difficulties of this planet are the standard things don't work and food can be a major issue. O2 is completely different, water is scarce, and food can be difficult. Push too hard or too fast and you run out of vital resources. While the forest muckroot will be really helpful, the issue with food is the temperatures. I got a lucky water drop in the printer, and it was only 10C, so I built a farm and dumped it there to cool it off.

So I don't think the existence of a bit of food is that useful at the start. It just buys some extra time, but at a potentially high cost of diminishing your atmospheric pressure.

Now that it's patched, I might go test it again and see if my prediction is true.

Edited by Vuelhering
  • Confused 1

DarkMaster13    114
Posted (edited)

Patch 351503 has come out with only one balance/difficulty change.  Ocean biomes now have a guaranteed salt water geyser.  Assuming this only applies to the ocean biomes and not tide pools, this makes the Oceania start slightly easier in the mid/late game, however I don't think it's really enough to change the standings at this point.

If this applies to the tide pool biomes in general, that's a much more significant shift.  It would bring missing the tide pool biome closer in line with the swamp one, since that's a third guaranteed water geyser with jungle, swamp, and tide pool all present.

EDIT: Seems this is for the tide pool biomes, not the Ocean ones you see in Oceania and subsurface oceans.  This means that all asteroids except The Badlands have technically gotten easier, since that's the only one missing that biome.

EDIT2: Found out what the rules are for the uncovered natural gas / chlorine geysers and added those to the information docs.  At the same time I put a tentative section for what's inside the toxic/caustic/jungle biomes just so that what spawns there is recorded like all the other biomes.  I have not yet updated the difficulty rankings.

Edited by DarkMaster13
Updated information
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

EnderCN    57
Posted (edited)

Playing my second game on Rime, only 50 cycles in but it hasn't posed any sort of challenge yet.  Area near printing pod was plenty warm enough for mealwood.  Then I put my power setup on one side of a bristle farm and a space heater on the other and it has stayed just fine temp wise.  Now got most of the base insulated and tore up a caustic biome for algae/coal so set for a long time on those and not losing temp at all.  From this point on it seems like the free cooling just makes the map easier not harder.

Edited by EnderCN

Gurgel    999

Very interesting results so far. In particular the vast gap between your difficulty estimations (on which I do basically agree) vs. the stated ones by Klei.

Nitroturtle    497
1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

Very interesting results so far. In particular the vast gap between your difficulty estimations (on which I do basically agree) vs. the stated ones by Klei.

I would love to know if some of the things that are causing difficulty were intentional.  Stuff like missing swamp biome causing the loss of the gold overheat bonus, or the issues with oxylite creation later.  The issue with missing copper was addressed very quickly, so I assumed these others would get fixed equally as fast.  

It would also be nice if RNG didn't play such a large factor in map difficulty.