Sign in to follow this  
N00bieMeap

How to setup Ice machines?

Recommended Posts

bobucles    301

Find a water source. Put a pitcher pump in it. Set up 3-5 ice machines in the local area. Done.

For bonus points, place the ice machines in another biome, on the other side of an insulated wall. That way the machine's heat gets dumped outside.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N00bieMeap    83
3 minutes ago, bobucles said:

Find a water source. Put a pitcher pump in it. Set up 3-5 ice machines in the local area. Done.

For bonus points, place the ice machines in another biome, on the other side of an insulated wall. That way the machine's heat gets dumped outside.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.pn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

it kinda depends on what you want to use it for. You making ice for the fan? You just want to cool the water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N00bieMeap    83
14 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

it kinda depends on what you want to use it for. You making ice for the fan? You just want to cool the water?

to cool ~40 Celsius water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tobruk    261
Posted (edited)
Just now, N00bieMeap said:

to cool ~40 Celsius water

Then dump the ice into the water using a dispenser (machine that drops delivered items down) or an automated door under the ice machine that opens for 1 sec every day for example.

Edited by Tobruk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
N00bieMeap    83
3 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Then dump the ice into the water using a dispenser (machine that drops delivered items down) or an automated door under the ice machine that opens for 1 sec every day for example.

into a big pool of atleast 64 tiles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tobruk    261
Just now, N00bieMeap said:

into a big pool of atleast 64 tiles?

No. Keep the pool small or you'll be waiting for eternity for it to cool down. Imagine dropping a mere 30kg of ice into a pool that has 100 tonns of water in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yoma_Nosme    407
Just now, N00bieMeap said:

into a big pool of atleast 64 tiles?

Yes. Or split your pool. You don't need all the water cool.

Other options are, ice sculptures or tempshift plates made of ice, aquatuner 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

Ok, this is not the most efficient setup as I just designed this for a rate test but it will work.

Just a pitcher pump in the water you want to cool. Use metal and mesh tiles under the ice machines. Put a pump in the water with a valve set to about 500g (so it doesn't run continuously), which drips water over the ice makers and keep them cool (and keeps the heat in the water). Also put a storage unit for the ice next to it and drip water over it too. Dupes will fill ice makers, move the ice to storage, where it melts back into your water supply. You can bridge off the drip cooling line to pump the water out. You probably want to use more ice makers. With only 2, this setup will cool 12t of water by 10C in about 20 cycles.

image.thumb.png.dabb1a08faab9d385d70a5262728370f.png

image.thumb.png.43cf735a355d7ea29d7897447c784056.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yoma_Nosme    407
1 hour ago, nonoxyl said:

Ok, this is not the most efficient setup as I just designed this for a rate test but it will work.

Just a pitcher pump in the water you want to cool. Use metal and mesh tiles under the ice machines. Put a pump in the water with a valve set to about 500g (so it doesn't run continuously), which drips water over the ice makers and keep them cool (and keeps the heat in the water). Also put a storage unit for the ice next to it and drip water over it too. Dupes will fill ice makers, move the ice to storage, where it melts back into your water supply. You can bridge off the drip cooling line to pump the water out. You probably want to use more ice makers. With only 2, this setup will cool 12t of water by 10C in about 20 cycles.

image.thumb.png.dabb1a08faab9d385d70a5262728370f.png

image.thumb.png.43cf735a355d7ea29d7897447c784056.png

One problem I see is the constant soggy feet debuff and the ''shake water off feet animation'' that adds extra time needed to fulfil the chore. Or am I wrong? I think a little redesign could fix this but I forbid myself to play the last test branch until release...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

One problem I see is the constant soggy feet debuff and the ''shake water off feet animation'' that adds extra time needed to fulfil the chore. Or am I wrong? I think a little redesign could fix this but I forbid myself to play the last test branch until release...

 

Yep. Not a problem if you have exosuits but without you will definitely have the debuff. A sink or handwashing station is also something to think about since dupes can transfer food poisoning to the ice.

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yoma_Nosme    407
1 hour ago, nonoxyl said:

A sink or handwashing station is also something to think about since dupes can transfer food poisoning to the ice.

Yes! Very true...so maybe better idea would just plainly be aquatuner, and use the hot cooling water for electrolyzer....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobucles    301
3 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Yes! Very true...so maybe better idea would just plainly be aquatuner, and use the hot cooling water for electrolyzer....?

Sending hot water to the electrolyzer is always a good idea. The gas is much easier to cool down, so you still save on heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
natanstarke    183
6 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

One problem I see is the constant soggy feet debuff and the ''shake water off feet animation'' that adds extra time needed to fulfil the chore. Or am I wrong? I think a little redesign could fix this but I forbid myself to play the last test branch until release...

Just having mesh tiles can be a better choice i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,262
Posted (edited)

Here's about the best module you can make for deleting (as opposed to moving) heat with them currently.

Notes:

1. Uses conveyer rail / matter duplication at the bottom row. You will generate water with this. When this bug gets fixed, it will be pretty bad at cooling (20kDTU/s at current preview branch total for 5 machines).

2. Loader is set to ice.

3. Array of igneous rock tempshift plates is used behind them to act as a thermal battery. The metal between mesh tiles thermally couples the bottom plates to the water via the right wall.

4. Images have been updated to include Math's conveyer rail fixes.

img1.thumb.png.600c70634ddc3b19d25de16576b83f0e.png

img2.png

img3.png

Edited by nakomaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mathmanican    2,257
3 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Here's about the best module you can make for deleting (as opposed to moving) heat with them currently.

I love the post and picture. 

  • One issue you may have not yet encountered is that if the ice melts on the far right, or far left, sides, then rather than getting duplication may end up with annihilation.  The bug seems to do odd things if you aren't careful about the ends. To avoid this, I'd make my rails extend one less unit on each side, so there is a 1 tile gap between where the rails end and the walls start. 
  • Another possible improvement might be to swap the rails so they move right on the bottom row inside the tiles (as heat transfer differs based on direction of flow). @Saturnus's model utilized this direction in the water duplicator post. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nakomaru    1,262
Just now, N00bieMeap said:

hmm, what about cooling air?

Put air near this to cool it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this