[Game Update] - 349444

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I just fear further changes might heat the discussion even more. Each change to the system might be controversial at this point. Reminds me the Tracer pose drama when Blizzard changed it after someone complained a few years ago.

Nah. Of important note here is that the 40 C output, whether fixed or minimum, completely obsoleted actual heaters on Rime, so this most recent change is clearly optimal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

We were unable to fix the piping crash in time for the weekend, so we've backed out the piping optimizations. We'll continue to work on them over here and send them out again next week some time.

Thank you for giving us a weekend with Pips and no water/gas piping bugs <3

Feel free to put the bugs back on Monday ! It's a testing branch for a reason. (Also feel free to include the PDB for SimDLL, I would love to help with the debugging efforts - My day job is working non-linear FEA solvers)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Siromatik said:

Until you try to cool a Metal Refinery making Steel with Water as coolant or using a Glass Forge that gonna blowup.... that's mostly match with any of these, and how liquids works in pipes imo.

The best way to cool a metal refinery is using petroleum as coolant. You run the coolant under a steam turbine and have one temperature sensor so that you cant boil the petroleum

2 hours ago, VitaCoke said:

Polluted water <0°C     = ??? d4d3f6ea4f33102a6bb04a33e44566e0.png

Polluted water >100°C = ??? 5bcdc81afc518b691870ba7fc2f8e0af.png

steam was generated and the pipes broke. dupes got injured.

fresh hot Regolith 43b777921a1b8a24a08e816438559f8b.png

Bonus question: -20°? 8753d023256329b1488c0d16810b4103.png

The unintended icemaker!

I hope the debate is now over and all the false information will die like germs in chlorine

So if I'm reading this correctly they went with the temp of the pwater and the temp of the sand both matter but it is heavily weighted towards the pwater.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EnderCN said:

So if I'm reading this correctly they went with the temp of the pwater and the temp of the sand both matter but it is heavily weighted towards the pwater.

Yup. All makes senses.

So beautiful... thanks Klei !

3 hours ago, EnderCN said:

The conversion uses more pwater than sand, so the temps are also taken in respective ratio -- pwater temp counts more

6 hours ago, Jackblac said:

The best way to cool a metal refinery is using petroleum as coolant. You run the coolant under a steam turbine and have one temperature sensor so that you cant boil the petroleum

My point is not "how-to-do".
My point is "when you do" things for the first time mistakes can happens but you learn from it and go further.
e.g if a new player get a broken pipe next to a Water Sieve, he gonna use that knowledge and how things works for buildings i've mentioned.

7 minutes ago, Siromatik said:

e.g if a new player get a broken pipe next to a Water Sieve, he gonna use that knowledge and how things works for buildings i've mentioned.

Some new players would figure that out, sure, but we've all seen enough people come to the forums asking if there's a bug, because they changed the pipe to insulated and it's still breaking etc etc.  Some of the warning tooltips could be clearer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

we've all seen enough people come to the forums asking if there's a bug
... Some of the warning tooltips could be clearer.

I'm using a RSS Reader to read the whole ONI forum, since more than 2 years, so yeah, can’t be more in agreement with you ahah !

Yay.

Also, can you make sure to never ever in the life of this game include a player choice on which filtration medium to use?

I like the current change, artificial difficulty decided in a meeting room is never good. Maybe if you're dealing with a bunch of console kiddies in a shooter game, but this isn't one of those.

What never letting us choose what is used as filters in these things however is actual difficulty which not only will creep up on people who have forgotten what a sieve does and why but will also never become an issue until you stop thinking about water filtering already. I don't know about other folks but it took me seven or eight restarts to learn enough of the game to even GET to the space biome. And when you finally get there you're quite likely so sure of yourself that a surprise water boiler at the back of your toilets is exactly what needs to happen.

And then temperature controlled filtration medium storages get made. And the world is  a better place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EnderCN said:

Regolith has a supremely low specific heat (0.2), so even super hot regolith has very little energy to add into the water. That kind of value can be tweaked until it feels good. Sand is 0.83, for example.

13 hours ago, Kangaax said:

Thank you for both. Input temp = output temp + a bit of heat is a great solution as it doesn't make Rime trivial.

My full support!

Always coming out 40 degrees is just nonsense

17 hours ago, minespatch said:

I hope you can fix the tutorial crash soon. I wanted to see the new shorts so badly.

It's not much, they're both place holders, one just being a zoom in and out on "ANIMATION IN PROGRESS" and the other being a cursed video that continues to move even when I have VLC paused, and does something different every time I open it. :wilson_curious:

Placeholder.mp4

Placeholder_grey.mp4

Spoiler

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.c4c19b71b68d5cebb6ca3f41784f493a.gif5d20d4c3a14ec_ezgif.com-video-to-gif(1).gif.01e4f43eb9ca888daae24bbdb84766a5.gif

Edited by watermelen671

17 hours ago, VitaCoke said:

Polluted water <0°C     = ??? d4d3f6ea4f33102a6bb04a33e44566e0.png

Polluted water >100°C = ??? 5bcdc81afc518b691870ba7fc2f8e0af.png

steam was generated and the pipes broke. dupes got injured.

fresh hot Regolith 43b777921a1b8a24a08e816438559f8b.png

Bonus question: -20°? 8753d023256329b1488c0d16810b4103.png

The unintended icemaker!

I hope the debate is now over and all the false information will die like germs in chlorine

I'm glad it does this actually. More problems to solve in certain situations :)

• Like 1

Gotta say, I'm happy about this.  

I had no problem really with the WS deleting heat, but it definitely did become a cornerstone of heat management in a fairly silly way.

But really, I'm happy with this because learning to deal with heat as a new player was very counter-intuitive in a lot of ways.  Early bathroom setups generating a substantial amount of heat caused a lot of problems for new players - particularly ones suffering from the WS adding heat but not savvy enough to use it to delete heat.  

Good to see.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Flydo said:

Always have pip make salt plant seed disapear from the container, did someone have the same issue?

It`s a bug. Pips make seeds disappear when rummaging containers. Best build seed containers out of reach of pips at least until it`s fixed.

• Thanks 1