stretch611

yet another water sieve nerf thread

Ambaire    331

What about the temperature of the sand? It should incorporate that, right? I agree that fixed temperature outputs is bad design.

• Like 3

stretch611    11
5 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

What about the temperature of the sand? It should incorporate that, right? I agree that fixed temperature outputs is bad design.

I was considering the sand when I said filtration medium. I left it open ended for later if regolith is ever used.

• Like 1

SixbySix    42

problem with incorporating the filtration medium is no way to choose a certain temp sand.  :(

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, stretch611 said:

How do you prevent the inevitable heat death now of an early base? Especially since you can not rely on having Wheezeworts available

Umm.... I dont cool my base I just let it get hotter and not deal with it because I'm lazy and it fixes its self from me being stupid aka building up pressure in the cold biomes by accident not notice and destroy the door to replace not realizing I haven't been making oxygen flow throughout the base just letting it build up their for the last 5 cycles and boom I now have a really cold base and some stressful duplicates ( dont use this as advice  all my duplicates died after I used a space heater in their room they sleep in )

Edited by Webber is bes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

ONIfreak    147

Watsr sieve is nothing more than mechanical filter. 1st of all there should be more requirements ( at least sand and coal) to make it efficient. 2nd - it should not change temperature ( unles any of ingredients has higher temp which should work like : sand temp ( lest sau 20) coal ( lest say 40) sieve temp ( lets say 10) = 20% of each mat plus 60% of water sieve = 4+8+6 = 18 degree. So if water is hotter it will actually remove heat to even this out ( and when it is cold put it up). Therefore temp of every material counts and it is more realistic in the setup. 

• Like 1

Radam    54

Water sieve only adds 4kdtu. Temperature difference of the water is only from receiving that heat. 

xialeth    30
40 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Any heat the internal processing might add or subtract should be added to the building itself, not the output.

Just to clarify, because I'm not sure what you mean regarding the interaction of the building and its inputs/outputs: The building temperature should influence the inputs/outputs, right? Because if the machine gets hot (--and hot inside, which might not necessarily be noticeable outside) it would heat up (and vice versa for cooling it down) the stuff going through it, wouldn't it?

Saturnus    3,227
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, xialeth said:

Just to clarify, because I'm not sure what you mean regarding the interaction of the building and its inputs/outputs: The building temperature should influence the inputs/outputs, right? Because if the machine gets hot (--and hot inside, which might not necessarily be noticeable outside) it would heat up (and vice versa for cooling it down) the stuff going through it, wouldn't it?

No, I literally mean that any heating caused by the machine itself should not affect outputs at all but only heat up the building itself, just like thermo-regulators.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Like 1

cpy    277
Posted (edited)

Leave water sieves alone :(
I like them now the most!

Edited by cpy

Nightinggale    959
8 hours ago, ONIfreak said:

it should not change temperature ( unles any of ingredients has higher temp which should work like : sand temp ( lest sau 20) coal ( lest say 40) sieve temp ( lets say 10) = 20% of each mat plus 60% of water sieve = 4+8+6 = 18 degree. So if water is hotter it will actually remove heat to even this out ( and when it is cold put it up). Therefore temp of every material counts and it is more realistic in the setup. 

That's the idea in how it works now. Specifically it's weighted arithmetric mean where the weight is mass*specific thermal capacity.

• Like 1

Trego    72
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

No, I literally mean that any heating caused by the machine itself should not affect outputs at all but only heat up the building itself, just like thermo-regulators.

The sieve is a very confusing building at the moment.  Back when it was a water purifier the 40 C output temperature seemed to have been chosen due to the fact that biological purification(probably the most significant part in treating human wastewater) has an important inflection point at 35-40C between mesophilic and thermophilic bacterial growth ranges.  Now that the name has been changed to water sieve, the temperature requirement has lost its foundation, as far as I can tell.  I take it that if you want buildings to not change the output temperature, that factors such as the bacterial growth ranges above should implemented as intake/input requirements instead, in your opinion?  (assuming that they are implemented at all)

Edited by Trego
  • Like 2

ONIfreak    147
4 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

That's the idea in how it works now. Specifically it's weighted arithmetric mean where the weight is mass*specific thermal capacity.

Ah good, didn't know. So it is correct ;)

Lilalaunekuh    844
6 hours ago, Saturnus said:

The output temperature should be equal to the average temperature of the constituent parts. The building itself should not add or subtract anything at all to the outputs. Not even a small amount.

Any heat the internal processing might add or subtract should be added to the building itself, not the output.

Yeah, that would be my prefered implementation aswell.

Andz    66

Just use the dynamic output temperature mod. I didn't check all modified buildings, but most things work. It's so much more fun. Especially because boulders can destroy the magma abyssalite border, every bit of more control helps.

Logicsol    29

Yeah, this was my complaint about the new sieve behavior at first, but they've tweaked it to a place I'm quite happy with.

Andz    66
48 minutes ago, Logicsol said:

Yeah, this was my complaint about the new sieve behavior at first, but they've tweaked it to a place I'm quite happy with.

How did they tweak it? Isn't it still 40+?

Nightinggale    959
3 minutes ago, Andz said:

It's now "heated" to 0 K if input is below that temperature. In other words output temperature = input temperature. It is however a weighted mean value between water and sand.

Saturnus    3,227
9 minutes ago, Andz said:

Yes. It is.

Satyrical364    41
17 minutes ago, Saturnus said:
26 minutes ago, Andz said:

Yes. It is.

Uh... no it isn't. They changed it to be the combined temperature (weighted arithmetic mean apparently) of the input materials, sand and water. 

• Like 3