9 minutes ago, frostymouse2 said:

Rude and uncalled for.

Rude? Probably 

Uncalled for? Am I replying in a public place in a way that doesn’t follow your predetermined rules? Sucks when someone does something differently than what you think they should and then ignores common sense, doesn’t it? 

You should probably write some long drawn out convoluted response on how I’m wrong then, or maybe you can threaten to report me like you’ve done to others. IDGAF. You seem to ignore suggestions and get offended when people offer up anything that isn’t in your wheelhouse as if it’s impossible that any of the suggestions anyone has made are relevant in any fashion. Maybe drop the victim role and try to see things from the other side if you don’t want random people to feel that you’re being childish as well. 

13 minutes ago, DidUReboot said:

You should probably write some long drawn out convoluted response on how I’m wrong then, or maybe you can threaten to report me like you’ve done to others.

I didn't threaten, I stated.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/guidelines/

Go down to the bottom where the forum guidelines are. You're not on topic, not constructive, and you're behaving with hostility and throwing personal insults. You're not contributing to a positive atmosphere for discussion or debate. If you have an issue with something I've written, I welcome you to have a conversation. But otherwise, you're in violation of forum guidelines.

34 minutes ago, frostymouse2 said:

You are maybe the first person willing to engage with me in good faith.

I engaged you in good faith, and asked if you were having your fun at the expense of others (limited public server slots). 

Turns out there are a quite limited number, so you were having your fun at the expense of others, not just defending yourselves from griefers. You were also controlling the playstyle and activities of random people joining the server.

It's not rude of me to say that your actions are bad, and to describe your actions in the same way I would describe any griefers. 

And no, it's not the same as transplanting berry bushes. I won't say that argument makes you look silly, but it does make it look like you aren't very skilled in presenting a strong argument. 

Let me tell you that my question came as someone who doesn't have a lot of faith in playing games with internet randos, but thought I would give the don't starve together community a shot. But I wouldn't have any fun if I jumped into such a controlling server that's just supposed to be there for everyone. I think I'll just keep having fun with my friends on private servers. 

Cheers!

18 minutes ago, frostymouse2 said:

Bla bla bla wordy word words

They’re only offensive if they fit how you have reacted. 

And really? Like there is an actual distinguishable topic here? You’re joking right? That was lost back on page 1.

Then you talk about how I’m not positively contributing. Pot meet kettle. 

I mentioned my issue. You ignored it. Look up Einstein’s definition of insanity. I’m not about to play that game with you. 

Maybe you would have better luck on a private forum. Oh wait. Y’all don’t want to hear that.

You have accused others of having tantrums.

You have said other members are incapable of speaking or thinking.

You have spoken down to others who’ve asked for summaries telling them to read everything themselves.

You have sarcastically replied about politeness refresher courses.

It’s probably the wrong time to go all snowflake on me and try and take the moral high ground.

11 minutes ago, Terribad said:

I engaged you in good faith, and asked if you were having your fun at the expense of others (limited public server slots). 

You didn't quote me, so I assumed it was a question posed to everyone. Furthermore, I already spoke about server space at length. I did intend to respond to you, but my editing on mobile was limited so I ended up editing my response to you out.

11 minutes ago, Terribad said:

Turns out there are a quite limited number

These 1k+ day servers take place mostly on west coast America region. There are around 3-4 official klei dedicated servers with 8 slots each. There are usually 10-20 other unofficial dedicated servers in the region with 8 to 10+ slots that's open to the public. This doesn't account for other servers in other regions which west coast americas people can play on, but might not get the best ping.

There are about 40 regular players on these 1k+ day worlds and about 100 semi-regular players. The server slots are usually full or half full, by some of these 100+ people around the globe. On the other hand, the other remaining servers, whether klei official or not, usually have some room.

My point is that no one is hurting for the opportunity to play. Yes, the server spots are finite, but there really isn't so much traffic that 8 slots on a single server in a single region negatively affects other people's ability to play the game on a public server. Normally high play time players, instead of being spread throughout these other servers, are congregated on a single server instead. During "prime time", I would rather sit around and wait for one of the 8 slots to open up on a 1k+ day world than play on another server, so in reality, I and other players like me, are "taking up" less space than before.

"You were also controlling the playstyle and activities of random people joining the server."

Can you give an example of that? I wasn't aware I had that much power.

"And no, it's not the same as transplanting berry bushes. I won't say that argument makes you look silly, but it does make it look like you aren't very skilled in presenting a strong argument."

Can you explain why it isn't the same? If it's a weak argument, then it should be easy for you to refute, right?

"I think I'll just keep having fun with my friends on private servers."

Sounds like a good time; best of luck to you and your friends.

18 minutes ago, DidUReboot said:

Like there is an actual distinguishable topic here?

Yeah, servers with 1000+ days and the behavior of people on those servers. It's hard make constructive comments when you don't understand the topic.

19 minutes ago, DidUReboot said:

Look up Einstein’s definition of insanity.

Not exactly related, but Einstein said that about Quantum Mechanics, and present day physics indicates that he was wrong about the field. I'll respond to the rest of your post in a message because I think that's too personal for public discussion according to forum guidelines.

23 minutes ago, frostymouse2 said:

You didn't quote me, so I assumed it was a question posed to everyone. Furthermore, I already spoke about server space at length. I did intend to respond to you, but my editing on mobile was limited so I ended up editing my response to you out.

These 1k+ day servers take place mostly on west coast America region. There are around 3-4 official klei dedicated servers with 8 slots each. There are usually 10-20 other unofficial dedicated servers in the region with 8 to 10+ slots that's open to the public. This doesn't account for other servers in other regions which west coast americas people can play on, but might not get the best ping.

There are about 40 regular players on these 1k+ day worlds and about 100 semi-regular players. The server slots are usually full or half full, by some of these 100+ people around the globe. On the other hand, the other remaining servers, whether klei official or not, usually have some room.

My point is that no one is hurting for the opportunity to play. Yes, the server spots are finite, but there really isn't so much traffic that 8 slots on a single server in a single region negatively affects other people's ability to play the game on a public server. Normally high play time players, instead of being spread throughout these other servers, are congregated on a single server instead. During "prime time", I would rather sit around and wait for one of the 8 slots to open up on a 1k+ day world than play on another server, so in reality, I and other players like me, are "taking up" less space than before.

Can you give an example of that? I wasn't aware I had that much power.

Can you explain why it isn't the same? If it's a weak argument, then it should be easy for you to refute, right?

Sounds like a good time; best of luck to you and your friends.

Yeah, servers with 1000+ days and the behavior of people on those servers. It's hard make constructive comments when you don't understand the topic.

Not exactly related, but Einstein said that about Quantum Mechanics, and present day physics indicates that he was wrong about the field. I'll respond to the rest of your post in a message because I think that's too personal for public discussion according to forum guidelines.

Can’t wait. Maybe you can cherry pick what parts you reply to in there as well. 

1 hour ago, maradyne said:

As someone who's watched a few once bustling multiplayer communities slowly dwindle and die over the years, this kind of stuff mostly bothers me because I know how likely it is for a person who just got a game to drop it until the end of time due to one frustrating 'game over' briefly after buying said game. Doubly so if they find out that other players were the cause; that's their first and last impression of the community as a whole. Why would you want to stick around a specifically multiplayer game, if you think that the other players are out to ruin your time? You wouldn't.

Communities specifically rejecting newcomers from even joining games killed a couple of my old favorite RTS games. Can't sustain a population if you prevent the increases which would normally compensate for people losing interest over time. Hopping into the lobby for those games in the present day and waiting hours for enough players to make for an interesting game is more depressing than fun.

I guess that's what I'm trying to get across. Motives don't matter given that many of the victims won't consider it worth their time to stick around. Kinda like me hopping out of this topic for a while and then hopping back in when it got back to a point that I find interesting: people are incredibly fickle and our meanings are rarely understood by one-another.

Psychology's a monumental pain.

Just look at Rust's Steam reviews. It's why I haven't gotten it. "We love the game, but the community..."

3 hours ago, frostymouse2 said:

@x0VERSUS1y, perhaps the worst offender, has spoken badly about me at length throughout this whole thread. He has refused to speak to me at all, despite multiple attempts from me to engage with him politely. I don't know if that's your buddy or what, but you do know his behavior is really rude and disrespectful, right? This thread is littered with backhanded insults towards me and unsolicited advice for me to stop playing on public servers when I've done nothing but explain my thinking and asked questions. Then the same people hurling insults and refusing to engage are writing about what a terrible thread this is and how the discussion isn't going anywhere. You are maybe the first person willing to engage with me in good faith.

Simple, because I have nothing to say anymore to you, one that keeps spinning all this affair round-and-round with "personal definitions" and abstract meanings of empty words, all in hope to somehow "wash" your group's "reputation" as "reverse-griefers" of which 3 already directly admitted in this tread and previous threads the tentacle traps in Touchstones and tentacle labyrinth at spawn for the 5k+ days server. I won't go again into the "moles" aspect and no, you won't get from me any print-screens or "proof" that you can then report for "naming and shaming" as am sure your lot can't wait to do so. Sufficient to say at the start of all this I was just puzzled, then curious, got in the meanwhile some information from various sources, enough to portray at least 4 people from "the inner group" as 2-faced, going as much as belittling in chat on ClayFish server the people of these forums and concluding a hollow "they deserve it" regarding the traps and named banter towards people logging on said server, finding spawn and surroundings pillaged as a starting point, and asking for help. Because seems you glossed over, again am underlying:

14 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

For me all their arguments became a joyous meme with the "learning through dying is part of the game. The creation of the "traps" on Clayfish ... are no worse and none were done with malicious intent" part (yeah, touchstones filled with tentacles via Wicker am sure was done without "malicious intent") - no need to further address any of their "justification" points for griefing with traps a Klei official pub; either way in the end is Klei responsibility to make their servers pleasant places for any and all, and if they don't do so ultimately these chaps with their goal-of-x.k-days-captive-server-just-because-they-can are right: they can do whatever the f they want.

Consider it addressed. And final. Don't bother with any subsequent input.

As for "perhaps the worst offender, has spoken badly about me at length throughout this whole thread" - will only point to your own line:

4 hours ago, frostymouse2 said:

Sometimes I banter with new people..

You don't like it? Hmmm. Seems a taste of one's own medicine doesn't bode well, does it?! Maybe you lot should repentantly reflect on your own behavior on those servers you were "hoarding" to paraphrase someone instead of sneakily spinning this on-and-on by beating around the proverbial bush. You weren't in the "inner circle" and wasn't doing all that traps madness and unsavory staff? Good. Then you didn't had to go in a diatribe regarding other people actions. Your observations, like mine, were noted by anyone reading this. Cheers!

PS: stop exaggerating with the "spoken badly about me at length", only once have I addressed you with a quotation for the fact you were actually defending the griefing those people self-admitted to.. which you did. I know in USA is the trend of "victimhood" for any laughable reason, but this is ridiculously hyperbolic.

It kind of does ruin the game for outsiders if you die purely because of something another player did and then can't resurrect yourself because of something another player did. Wasting food or items isn't really comparable to setting deadly traps, unless the newbies somehow manage to completely strip the starting area of all resources. (Which would normally require a dedicated effort!) 

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I have nothing to say anymore to you

But you have never said anything to me.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I know in USA is the trend of "victimhood" for any laughable reason, but this is ridiculously hyperbolic.

Not an american, for the second time tonight. Is Klei even an american company?

49 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

It kind of does ruin the game for outsiders if you die purely because of something another player did and then can't resurrect yourself because of something another player did. Wasting food or items isn't really comparable to setting deadly traps, unless the newbies somehow manage to completely strip the starting area of all resources.

I don't like repeating myself because I feel like I'm nagging, but everyone gets a resurrection at base. Also, usually there's a surplus of life ammys available for anyone to take. They're basically portable touchstones.

If you're talking about the long days servers, when you're that many thousand days in, all the resources at spawn either get dug up or destroyed in wildfires because people join during summer. If you're talking about regular servers, it does not take a lot of newbies to completely strip the starting area of all resources. Even if you join in the first few days of autumn, it's not uncommon to be unable to find grass or twigs within walking distance before nightfall, especially if you didn't join at the start of a day. I consider it common courtesy to take at most two grass, two twigs, and two flints out of the starting biome, but you need only one or two people to clear an entire area, especially since new players tend to walk in circles.

And new players eating too much food without giving anything in return is my number one cause of death back when I used to build bases. You spend so much time just feeding people in winter, it's hard to get anything else done.

2 hours ago, DidUReboot said:

Maybe you can cherry pick what parts you reply to in there as well. 

Well I hope the cherries were adequately picked.

2 minutes ago, frostymouse2 said:

Well I hope the cherries were adequately picked.

Not really. Another person replied with a perfect example of how setting traps impacts new players. Instead of even attempting to see this perspective, once again you revert to being defensive and state they are wrong. Cameo couldn’t have been any clearer with their example.... unless they used crayons... which you’ve already shown triggers you. 

At this point if we tried to explain it any clearer I’m still not sure you’d understand. I’m sure you’ll take that as everyone failing but you. Either way I’m done dealing with your ignorance. 

3 minutes ago, DidUReboot said:

Not really. Another person replied with a perfect example of how setting traps impacts new players

That it's upsetting to die because of something another player did? That's upsetting to everyone, but it's bound to happen in a game death is a mechanic and other people are involved. Cameo said they didn't play on the server and that they don't want to. I'm not sure if they'll be able to provide any concrete examples, but I'll try to list off the ones that are trap-like that I know of.

The touchstones were blocked, but a lot of other options for resurrection was readily available. You can't "die" normally to tentacles at touchstone because the tentacles (and touchstone) was already walled off to make sure people didn't step on them. You can "die" if you try to rez as a ghost, but the touchstone is usually already blocked by someone else dying on it. That is to say, if you rez by touchstone and die shortly after, your skeleton will block the touchstone and other people won't be able to use it. So even in the rare situation where the touchstone was NOT blocked, you will at worst end up as a ghost, the way you already were.

There was a maze "trap" near spawn with tentacles in it. There was a sign on the outside that says "beware of tentacles" or some variation of that. This is part of several other decorative structures made near the spawn, including but not limited to a museum with giant statues, a camp covered with night lights, and a garden of flowers. This was not a result of people removing all the resources from spawn- those resources had burned up long ago. I assume (I did not build these things), the intention was to impress new players. They were decorated with flashy, hard to obtain materials like thulecite, giant drops, and gems.

I wanna get this in in case the thread gets locked, but I'll edit with more stuff later if I can remember. If you remember something that you saw on the server which you felt was a trap, please let me know. I'm not trying to discredit it, I just want to give you my perspective.

11 hours ago, Terribad said:

Hey I have a question. Are there a limited number of klei servers? By doing these things did they "hog" a server spot?

If yes, then it's pretty clear it's very greify and evil to tentacle trap a respawn point... Why is this even in dispute? As bad as eating all the deerclops eyeballs.

If there are unlimited Klei servers then everyone needs to grow up. Which is it?

Someone already responded to this, but there's about 10-12 different ones and I think Klei rotates through which ones are online because at the moment only 8 are up. They each have 8 slots. There are a lot of player-owned, publically-accessible dedicated servers as well (I spend quite a bit of time on the Strictly Unprofessional or Vanilla _____ servers) but those are the official ones.

I've been in the beta branch enjoying the sailing mechanics since May, apart from 1) the day Wormwood was released and 2) briefly switching back just now to check how many Klei servers there are. I haven't been on the official Klei servers in months because the beta branch doesn't have any (although I saw that The Rabbit Trap was up to 1400 days in the process of counting servers, so now I'm curious), so I'm arguing based on general principles about civil behaviour in a multiplayer PvE game plus what I've heard in the series of threads arguing about how these survival marathons on the official servers have been run. Including someone openly admitting to placing tentacles around the touchstones while in control of a public server.

I still haven't seen anything that convinced me that it's okay to barricade communal respawn points in response to anything one player can do. Even giving out free amulets just makes up for a problem that doesn't need to be there in the first place; it'd be even better if you could use touchstones and have a free amulet. If you have enough committed players to keep the server from resetting, you have enough committed players to kick genuine griefers, whether they've used up their touchstone revivals yet or not. It does, however, sound like the tentacle maze was an unrelated thing that wasn't easy to stumble into by accident.

2 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

If you have enough committed players to keep the server from resetting, you have enough committed players to kick genuine griefers, whether they've used up their touchstone revivals yet or not.

Do you have 4 players playing 24/7 on the same server while also keeping an eye on each griefer? In some cases, it's not enough to have only 3 or less players to keep griefers off a server and, in case of only 1 player, it's enough to have just a single griefer to reset the whole server.

13 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Do you have 4 players playing 24/7 on the same server while also keeping an eye on each griefer? In some cases, it's not enough to have only 3 or less players to keep griefers off a server and, in case of only 1 player, it's enough to have just a single griefer to reset the whole server.

From what I saw on The Rabbit Trap just now? Yes. I was playing at 3-5 am local time and the server ranged from half full to completely full, with the majority of people having triple-digit daycounts.

Incidentally there also weren't any tentacles or obstacles on the touchstones.

Archived