7 hours ago, maradyne said:

a mess that isn't going anywhere productive

It wouldn't be if you or Oversusly could reply with actual responses and engage in the discussion instead of repeating the same words and complaining about how unproductive the discussion is. 

I've asked several people, you included, over the course of the whole thread to please elaborate on what is considered "griefing". You seem either incapable or unwilling to, despite using that word to describe me and other players. It's not a surprise that the discussion is not moving forward when you are only throwing out accusations without elaborating on anything. 

On 7/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, Bleksmits said:

Was on rabbit... something with rabbit name Klei server. 700 days fire pit and endofirepit in spawn. some nice little bases for new players main base was well hidden could not find maybe in atrium tentacles only near bq they are using public server with full capacity farming all bosses. I can only tell Good Job, i envy your server! And sorry about messing with your little cave base.

I stopped by Rabbit the server it was on 1000+ day.  It was very hard to get on always full.  Does that mean it is being held captive or is it that many people are playing on it?  Different people there all the time?

34 minutes ago, Mattyington said:

excuse me what the h*ck is happening here

Bases burn, tentacles spawn, traps are laid after loot is mischievously stolen, good ol' pub madness. Then people cry to the Constant's heavens "griefer" while a wild Willow pops fresher than a 5-days old moist birb egg from gate and immediately spams chat with "uerz basiki?!?!? BASIKI?!?!?! I diez hers!!" in middle of a warm autumn breeze. Fun times on Klei servers, come join the Survival party! :love-struck:

I certainly don't want to play on a server held in the iron grip of people who think that dumping tentacles or immovable obstacles all over respawn points is an OK thing to do just because it hurts their enemies as well as all the innocent bystanders.

If you really mean well for most people who join but want to meet strangers and fight with roving griefers, make your own public server instead of a passworded one, and set the playstyle to Madness. Don't ruin a Klei server for everyone who gets caught in your crossfire, including experienced players who got unlucky or let their guard down just as much as wide-eyed newbies who only bought the game in the last Steam sale.

8 hours ago, Mattyington said:

excuse me what the h*ck is happening here

Hmm, that's a really general question. Try reading the thread in its entirety and asking more specific questions on the stuff you don't understand. It'll be easier for other people to explain. 

2 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

I certainly don't want to play on a server held in the iron grip of people who think that dumping tentacles or immovable obstacles all over respawn points is an OK thing to do

Well first of all, no one is going to make you play on any server you don't want to, so don't worry. People have different play styles, and some people simply don't "mesh" very well. The good news is that there are a lot of other servers for you to play on. 

make your own public server

But why? I, like most people here, have bought the game. I think I have as much of a "right" to play on an official Klei server as anyone else with a copy, no? 

Don't ruin a Klei server for everyone

Dying is part of the game. On those servers, almost every ghost got resurrections at base, usually by heart or amulet. 

1 hour ago, frostymouse2 said:

But why? I, like most people here, have bought the game. I think I have as much of a "right" to play on an official Klei server as anyone else with a copy, no? 

If it infringes on the pursuit of happiness of another then, No, you are not entitled to do whatever you want in a shared public space. I mean, you CAN, but it's not very cool to do so. 

13 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

If it infringes on the pursuit of happiness of another then, No, you are not entitled to do whatever you want in a shared public space. I mean, you CAN, but it's not very cool to do so. 

I can fairly bet my under-the-belt junior Versus that the guy will now sugary snake-tongue your reply with a wonderful retort on the line of "but if someone eats my stuff in fridge or doesn't listen to what I say in my base it also infringes on my pursuit of happiness". Just wait for it :roll:

For me all their arguments became a joyous meme with the "learning through dying is part of the game. The creation of the "traps" on Clayfish ... are no worse and none were done with malicious intent" part (yeah, touchstones filled with tentacles via Wicker am sure was done without "malicious intent") - no need to further address any of their "justification" points for griefing with traps a Klei official pub; either way in the end is Klei responsibility to make their servers pleasant places for any and all, and if they don't do so ultimately these chaps with their goal-of-x.k-days-captive-server-just-because-they-can are right: they can do whatever the f they want.

4 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

If it infringes on the pursuit of happiness of another then

So do people who dig up berry bushes or pick spawn clean (and people who dig graves, and hammer pig heads/houses, and rabbit hutches/merm houses, and eaten food while doing nothing, and consume gears, and pick up things and log off, and and). I'm pretty sure picking spawn clean has killed way more people and driven more people off servers than tentacles at touchstones. You're also telling all those people to get off Klei officials host their own servers, right? I'm just asking for a little consistency. 

4 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

...that the guy will now sugarly snake-tongue your reply with a wonderful retort on the line of "but if someone eats my stuff in fridge or doesn't listen to what I say in my base it also infringes on my pursuit of happiness". Just wait for it...

Called it. 

So do people who dig up berry bushes or pick spawn clean (and people who dig graves, and hammer pig heads/houses, and rabbit hutches/merm houses, and eaten food while doing nothing, and consume gears, and pick up things and log off, and and).

These are things a player does while playing the game. They may do it differently than you would like, but these are all normal behaviors of someone playing the game. Sure, it's annoying to watch someone be inefficient and wasteful, but it's usually an innocent symptom of being inexperienced. Traps designed to kill players and limit respawns are intentional efforts to infringe on the fun of others. 

You're also telling all those people to get off Klei officials host their own servers, right? I'm just asking for a little consistency. 

It's simple, if you are in a public server making an effort to prevent other players from participating in normal DST gameplay then you are in the wrong. 

Hey I have a question. Are there a limited number of klei servers? By doing these things did they "hog" a server spot?

If yes, then it's pretty clear it's very greify and evil to tentacle trap a respawn point... Why is this even in dispute? As bad as eating all the deerclops eyeballs.

If there are unlimited Klei servers then everyone needs to grow up. Which is it?

1 hour ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Called it. 

Oh thanks for the quote. I'm going to report him for abusive language. I had stopped reading his posts because it was clear he wasn't interested in participating in good faith. 

They may do it differently than you would like, but these are all normal behaviors

normal DST gameplay

So we're being told to leave because we don't play "normally". Not because we're rude, selfish or unkind, but because we don't play the way you want us to, the way you think the game should be played. We subvert your expectation of what is "normal", so all 40-100 of us should not play on a single server with 8 slots. Thank you for clearing that up- I had a feeling, but it seems none of the other users are willing to say it. I'm really glad you clarified, but as I've mentioned, I don't think it's a very good reason. It might be too much to expect people to celebrate it, but I think the DST community can tolerate a bit of personal differences. I'll reiterate again that there's always a dozen or more available servers that doesn't have us on it. And perhaps if you are so particular about needing other players to play a certain way for you to enjoy the game, maybe you should host your own server and ban offenders who are not playing to your standards. Thank you again for your honest response. 

@NSAiswatchingus I say, in relation to what OP wrote and what these chaps with "capturing" Klei servers did, first with walling-in Spawn some months ago (if you remember there were more posts in past, I distinctively remember John Watson being trapped - after they kicked him out first, and he re-logged minutes later - with walls and tentacles where he last was before the kick: I can fairly say is the same core-group, same ClayFish server, same "taking the server captive for N-record days"), now a more refined trap format: they can have their "fun". And we or whatever wants can go and "hunt" their captive-server via reset. Fair game if they consider their shenanigans a valid way of playing on an official dedicated server.

5 hours ago, Terribad said:

Hey I have a question. Are there a limited number of klei servers? By doing these things did they "hog" a server spot?

If yes, then it's pretty clear it's very greify and evil to tentacle trap a respawn point... Why is this even in dispute? As bad as eating all the deerclops eyeballs.

If there are unlimited Klei servers then everyone needs to grow up. Which is it?

@Terribad There are about 10 Klei Official servers in total, each with 8 slots if I remember well, haven't played on them Klei pubs for quite some time now (personally going at Beta on community servers atm).

So we're being told to leave because we don't play "normally".

No one is telling you to leave. I'm telling you to not prevent other players from playing on a public server. Again...

2 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

It's simple, if you are in a public server making an effort to prevent other players from participating in normal DST gameplay then you are in the wrong. 

the way you think the game should be played. 

I only think the game should be played. There is no right way. Do whatever, however, you want on a private server. Do whatever you want on a public server as long as it doesn't prevent other players from playing. 

...so all 40-100 of us should not play on a single server with 8 slots.

You can play whatever server you want. If you fill up a public server with your friends that's fine. If someone else joins in that's not a friend it's wrong to harass that player until they leave. It's rude to vote kick them if they aren't griefing or being intentionally destructive,  but the option is there. At that point though you might as well play a private server if you're trying to make a public server private to just your friends. 

And perhaps if you are so particular about needing other players to play a certain way for you to enjoy the game

Again, it's not about a playstyle. It's about literally allowing others to play on a public play space. 

...maybe you should host your own server and ban offenders who are not playing to your standards. Thank you again for your honest response. 

I do. 3600+ days and open it to the public in Autumn. Friends only Winter and Spring. Closed for Summers. 

3 minutes ago, BunillaAisu said:

Can't believe this thread is still alive, It's an embarrassment to the community on both sides.

Also, surprised it hasn't been locked yet.

Embarrassing things should be seen. It helps others not repeat the same mistakes. 

27 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

And we or whatever wants can go and "hunt" their captive-server via reset. Fair game if they consider their shenanigans a valid way of playing on an official dedicated server.

Don't do this please. Griefing is bad no matter what. "Capturing a server" is just as bad as intentionally resetting a server. Don't fight fire with fire. 

16 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Embarrassing things should be seen. It helps others not repeat the same mistakes. 

True. But the arguments here are awful and misinformed. I should mention, I played on Clayfish (for like 100 in-game days) and not once did I see anyone be kicked, I wasn't kicked, and my friend who played longer than I did, didn't get kicked.I feel like this whole deal is strangely personal...?

idk I don't want to continue theorizing. This whole thing is dumb.

@NSAiswatchingus maybe use crayons to try and explain from here on out as you taking the time to present logical thoughts clearly isn’t working. Sock puppets may help or maybe shorter sentences with smaller words. This thread is like watching someone try and fight the wind.  

The hardest thing to open is a closed mind.

20 minutes ago, DidUReboot said:

@NSAiswatchingus maybe use crayons to try and explain from here on out as you taking the time to present logical thoughts clearly isn’t working. Sock puppets may help or maybe shorter sentences with smaller words. 

33 minutes ago, DidUReboot said:

The hardest thing to open is a closed mind.

Insults are the quickest way to close a mind. 

1 minute ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Insults are the quickest way to close a mind. 

Yeah I stopped caring a while ago about rationalizing with them and now I’m enjoying the exercise in futility that’s on display here. FWIW your paradigm is the one that makes sense. Wasn’t a slight directed at you. Please, continue to venture down the path with no end. 

2 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Do whatever you want on a public server as long as it doesn't prevent other players from playing. 

I'm not a mod. I can't prevent other players from playing. And as I've already said, they hand out resurrection at base like candy on Halloween. 

3 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

If someone else joins in that's not a friend it's wrong to harass that player until they leave. It's rude to vote kick them if they aren't griefing or being intentionally destructive,  but the option is there.

I have never seen anyone do that, and I've played about 1000 days in total across all the servers. My timezone also overlaps with Bliz's and I've never seen him do that. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I doubt it happens with the sort of frequency people on this forum claims. Players who lie, afk and burn bases get kicked when there's concrete evidence against them. Sometimes I banter with new people but the worst I'll say is nothing. I've never seen anyone harass new players, and I've never seen someone kicked for reasons unrelated to the ones I've already mentioned. 

27 minutes ago, frostymouse2 said:

I have never seen anyone do that, and I've played about 1000 days in total across all the servers. My timezone also overlaps with Bliz's and I've never seen him do that. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I doubt it happens with the sort of frequency people on this forum claims. Players who lie, afk and burn bases get kicked when there's concrete evidence against them. Sometimes I banter with new people but the worst I'll say is nothing. I've never seen anyone harass new players, and I've never seen someone kicked for reasons unrelated to the ones I've already mentioned. 

I'm not saying you or anyone else has done these things. I'm just using these acts as examples of how not to behave in a public server. As another user said, reestablishing the community guidelines on public server etiquette may be in order. 

As someone who's watched a few once bustling multiplayer communities slowly dwindle and die over the years, this kind of stuff mostly bothers me because I know how likely it is for a person who just got a game to drop it until the end of time due to one frustrating 'game over' briefly after buying said game. Doubly so if they find out that other players were the cause; that's their first and last impression of the community as a whole. Why would you want to stick around a specifically multiplayer game, if you think that the other players are out to ruin your time? You wouldn't.

Communities specifically rejecting newcomers from even joining games killed a couple of my old favorite RTS games. Can't sustain a population if you prevent the increases which would normally compensate for people losing interest over time. Hopping into the lobby for those games in the present day and waiting hours for enough players to make for an interesting game is more depressing than fun.

I guess that's what I'm trying to get across. Motives don't matter given that many of the victims won't consider it worth their time to stick around. Kinda like me hopping out of this topic for a while and then hopping back in when it got back to a point that I find interesting: people are incredibly fickle and our meanings are rarely understood by one-another.

Psychology's a monumental pain.

52 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I'm not saying you or anyone else has done these things

Then why bring them up? Did you think I needed a refresher on how to be polite? I've already said, behavior wise, these servers are at worst no different than any other. I do think these servers tend to be more altruistic, hence how they last so long. No offense, but have you actually played on one of these servers? It's just that every user who has posted a personal account on this thread posted a positive one, so I'm not sure why you have such a negative view of it.

2 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

No one is telling you to leave.

I have been "advised" by at least two different users in this thread alone to get off official servers, and accused by several more of "hogging" servers or "holding servers 'captive'". Do you really need me to go over every single instance? Please do not pretend this is not something that has been said on continuous repeat over the course of this whole thread.

52 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

reestablishing the community guidelines on public server etiquette may be in order. 

Maybe reestablishing the community guidelines on forum etiquette may be in order. @x0VERSUS1y, perhaps the worst offender, has spoken badly about me at length throughout this whole thread. He has refused to speak to me at all, despite multiple attempts from me to engage with him politely. I don't know if that's your buddy or what, but you do know his behavior is really rude and disrespectful, right? This thread is littered with backhanded insults towards me and unsolicited advice for me to stop playing on public servers when I've done nothing but explain my thinking and asked questions. Then the same people hurling insults and refusing to engage are writing about what a terrible thread this is and how the discussion isn't going anywhere. You are maybe the first person willing to engage with me in good faith.

2 hours ago, DidUReboot said:

maybe use crayons to try and explain from here on out as you taking the time to present logical thoughts clearly isn’t working. Sock puppets may help or maybe shorter sentences with smaller words. This thread is like watching someone try and fight the wind

Rude and uncalled for.

Edit: a word and a sentence.

Archived