18 hours ago, frostymouse2 said:

.. I don't think it's "trolling" to build "mazes" near spawn or, honestly, "block off" touchstones, unless you also think it is trolling to build decorative structures, use "on Tentacle" in any capacity, or simply die shortly after resurrecting by touchstone. And plenty of pub worlds have people digging up grass tufts, saplings, and berries from spawn.

Lovely. This one actually defends the tentacle traps beside spawn, touchstones blocked/filled with tentacles, etc as an ok thing to do on Klei servers. And then they ask why people are against them and their methods.. :rolleyes:

Get over it laddies, you had your fun at the expenses of others, had your magical 5k+ days or whatever on a Klei official, no one really cares, move on. This topic is an embarrassment to the desired fair play in DST, not something to be encouraged upon, and there isn't anything constructive here.

9 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

tentacle traps beside spawn, touchstones blocked/filled with tentacles, etc

You're referring to the "maze" and the touchstones? I mean, touchstones regularly get "blocked" by players dying quickly after resurrecting by them. It's not an uncommon occurrence. As I've said, they're not a reliable source of revival on DST pubs- you respawn with low hp, no items, likely far from your base, and whatever killed you is usually still around. For most games, you either have someone rez you or you leave. Furthermore, you act as if Klei themselves didn't design a naturally occurring set piece where one of the most valuable resources is located on as many tentacles as they can pack into the area. I've played in pub worlds with reed traps that killed new players with regularity. I would argue that part of the theme in don't starve is that things aren't what they seem: passive beefalos go into heat, friendly pig men turn aggressive during a full moon, and the bad karma of murdering innocent creatures catches up to you in the form of krampii that steal your things. Klei has created a lot of "traps" of their own that generate along with the world. Learning through dying is part of the game. The creation of the "traps" on Clayfish, if you can even call them that, are no worse and none were done with malicious intent.

37 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

And then they ask why people are against them and their methods.. :rolleyes:

I don't recall asking that. I posted because I saw a lot of people giving non-viable "solutions", and I thought I'd try to give an explanation as to why those "solutions" weren't implemented.

The general point was that regardless of the reasons for the not-traps-that-were-strangely-really-similar-to-traps, they played a part in turning a server into a frustration machine for random players hopping on the server.

They had those targeted server resets coming. because the backlash is just as justified as the initial trigger for it.

59 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Get over it laddies, you had your fun at the expenses of others, had your magical 5k+ days or whatever on a Klei official, no one really cares, move on. This topic is an embarrassment to the desired fair play in DST, not something to be encouraged upon, and there isn't anything constructive here.

Bro, you were the first guy to comment on this post with "claims" of things that you weren't even there to see and saying you have "moles" looking into this. You are legit obsessed. If you didn't go and legit name drop, and post false claims no one would be here posting!

59 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

You should probably get over it to, mate. It isn't healthy to keep obsessing over something you weren't a part of for some cheap laughs at other people's expense. Good job derailing the thread though and forcing people to have to defend themselves so they don't get mixed up with another group doing stuff in the beta. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Vlad Mire said:

... for some cheap laughs at other people's expense.

Awww, that's precious coming from you lot. Remind me again who made traps to keep a server "captive" in the pursuit of "record Klei official server days-count" for "reputation"? Yeah, I thought so :lol:

There's a saying in my language approximately translated into "If you kept silence, people still would've believed you a philosopher" - meditate on it, griffy. Also "if the star ain't bright enough, don't signal it".

24 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Awww, that's precious coming from you lot. Remind me again who made traps to keep a server "captive" in the pursuit of "record Klei official server days-count" for "reputation"? Yeah, I thought so :lol:

There's a saying in my language approximately translated into "If you kept silence, people still would've believed you a philosopher" - meditate on it, griffy. Also "if the star ain't bright enough, don't signal it".

How predictable of you to point fingers. Thankfully, I had no "reputation" to gain from that 5k server debacle since I try to stay out of the eyes of the community, so let's talk about you, yes? You can point at everyone else for all I care, but we were talking about what you did and nothing can change the fact that you shouted out accusations without proof when Habber was making a thread just to tell people not to witch hunt servers; possibly thinking it was his fault (Which it is definitely not!), forcing people to feel on edge and rush to defend themselves when they just wanted to get over this whole situation and move on with their lives.

This wasn't about Clayfish. Clayfish is gone. Get over it. Everyone already admitted to their own faults and regrets on that server and nothing more can be said, so kindly move on and stop shouting fire where there is none. 

10 hours ago, BunillaAisu said:

BTW the original post about the 5000+ server states that it was a challenge to make a PUBLIC SERVER last that long, say what you will about if it was a good or bad thing, just stop saying "they should've made their own server" because the point was for it to be a public server.

This is a game, guys.

Right and because it was a public server the only way you could actually police the server is by setting up things that look very incriminating to anyone who doesn't know your story. Just letting you know why people think that your group is the one that's greifing and not the other, since so many of you seem to be on some moral high ground thinking that because they made this "challenge" they own that public server and have sway in how things should go. If it's just a game and "lol no one cares now its over" why are ya'll on defense mode so bad? There wouldn't even be any argument or discussion had you just ignored these posts in the first place since you know you're so right anyways.

10 hours ago, frostymouse2 said:

And my post was to point out why your "very obvious solution" doesn't work for me. You told waffle you have no intentions of playing on a pub server like this, and you told me you have no interest in "my story". You don't understand why we do the things we do because you don't play the game the way we do and you have no interest in actually learning about the situation. Fair enough. But with no understanding of the context of this "fiasco" (I think that's a serious over-dramatization), I don't see how you can expect your "very obvious solution" to be of use to any of us who are actually involved, regardless of how many times you push it on us. I don't mean to single you out, this applies to pretty much everyone else on this forum giving "very obvious solution"s like yours.

The only difference between how you and I play the game is instead of making On Tentacles to protect my server I press tab, and then ban the offender. I understand very well the point of being on a public server instead of a private for this scenario, it's just silly how defensive you get when called out for actions your group is clearly responsible for and sees as morally correct.

1 hour ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

Right and because it was a public server the only way you could actually police the server is by setting up things that look very incriminating to anyone who doesn't know your story. Just letting you know why people think that your group is the one that's greifing and not the other, since so many of you seem to be on some moral high ground thinking that because they made this "challenge" they own that public server and have sway in how things should go. If it's just a game and "lol no one cares now its over" why are ya'll on defense mode so bad? There wouldn't even be any argument or discussion had you just ignored these posts in the first place since you know you're so right anyways.

First, I'm not apart of the "group" I'm a curious little fellow whos been following this "drama" for a bit and only came here to post because I saw some double standards. I'm having trouble understanding your point, I don't know how this has to do with "morals" and Bro, I think everyone is on "defense mode" because of the claims that have been made on this thread. The guy VERSUS isn't talking about what they did on Clayfish, he's talking about Ipsguiggle and I guess other servers?? (Also to say that "if you didn't post this wouldn't have happened" is a stalemate, legit can go both ways)

Also, as I said it's just a game, things happen. People do challenges. Not everyone can enjoy things, there's no reason to insert "morals" into this.

Dude, I jump around Public servers A lot, the place is like the Wild West, anything goes. Until Klei moderates it, this is how it's gonna be.

2 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

The only difference between how you and I play the game is instead of making On Tentacles to protect my server I press tab, and then ban the offender.

You see random players as obstacles and inconveniences, hence your "very obvious solution" is to tell everyone to play on a private server. To you, they are a flaw that needs to be fixed. I see random players as part of the game. I and others on Clayfish and Isquiggle have behaved no differently than any other pub player, yet we are held to standards not applied anywhere else and given unsolicited "advice" to stop playing on pubs. It's like telling someone to uninstall DST and play Skyrim instead. It's technically a "solution", but it is of no use to anyone. 

On 7/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, maradyne said:

It's not so much that you're wrong, as it is that you're wronging others due to fear of being wronged by someone else...all on a public set of servers rather than a private one. And from what you're saying, it was all due to a personal feud with one particular player who supposedly leads a gang of saboteurs against you.

Meanwhile, your traps were still killing random players just looking for a public server to play on...so yea, anyone getting mad at you for that is kinda justified? If you decide to stoop to the level of a griefer, expect to be seen as one yourself, and to be treated as such.

If you really do have some organized gang of clever griefers with limitless identities and a pocket full of lies stalking you across the game servers, you may want to look into a private server. That's usually where people go when they want long-term worlds. Frankly, I'd love it too if it were possible to have long term worlds with random players...but not when it leads to situations like this that give a slap in the face to the rest of the DST community.

I have seen your other post in other thread, but unfortunately, it is locked.

You seem to come from the belief that "treat people nicely and they will be nice to you". Fundamentally, I agree with you. I treat people nicely unless there are circumstances otherwise. Practically, there are limits to how nice you can treat others.

I started playing on Klei servers. I used to believe that the more people there are in the base, the better the base will be. Hence, I used to make marking the base as a priority, a task to be done within the first 20 days. I used to put signs from portal, leading to base, and also to drop moonlens. Then in one world at about day 100, when I was alone, a willow came to base and burn it. I was still silly enough to ask "why are you doing it?". I was helpless then, I cannot even rollback or kick. I then questioned myself for committing to a world that is going to be reset and griefed since I am powerless.

I then retreated to blizstorm's world for 3000 days. Over there, the entire base is under ocuvigil. I can monitor the entire base using minimap and newcomer can find base. Griefers still came; those that hit the surface, were quickly caught and the damage undone. There are some however, who damaged the cave, ate 10 deerclops eyeballs. The damage was noticed too late to be undone.

I tour old worlds, to get ideas from them. There was one Klei world that eventually survived to 3427 days. There was where I learnt combat griefers is actually viable in Klei servers. I then have my 5k Klei world challenge. On my first attempt, at around day 300, 2 wickerbottoms, using the same name and skin, were running around in my base when I was alone. They then read tentacles in base and fortunately, they died to tentacles first. I rather have the tentacles in base and them dead than to rollback. These 2 trolls would then come back daily, and they change their name. They would also troll probably another 100 worlds, and I was not even there.

On Clayfish, the touchstones are only tentacles on day 1500, after the appearance of the first persistent griefer.

So in my opinion, most griefers attack unprovoked. In the eyes of these griefers, the existence of worlds is a crime. You would be grossly understating the significance of Clayfish if you think there is only a single griefer. I have decisions to make, and in my opinion, the potential increase in griefers from tentacles in touchstone, would be less than the immediate threat of revival of persistent griefers.

I would advise you to just settle it as just a difference in opinions and values. If you want to claim that unconditional nice treatment of people is superior, you would have to first prove it. One way to do so is by making portal base on Klei world, bring it to 6615 days. By your belief, since people are treated nicely unconditionally, they should not be griefing your base. They should be loving the world, to stay and defend it, longer than Clayfish 6614 days.With base at the portal, newcomer instantly get light, warmth, and company without the frustration.

By the way, I think frustration is an essential element of the game that should not be removed. I frustrate my teammate, when I deny my teammate rollback when they lose their tamed beefalo, when they lost a boss fight with 20 death, or when they are rerolling for good loot from from klaus. Sadly, my deny may not always succeed since the votes are decided democratically. A 1600 days blizstorm's world is also regenerated when 2 people made stupid mistakes and died.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:03 PM, ItsPizzaTime said:

Yeah, the better solution is called make your own server with your own rules I've only said it in every post I've made so far in this thread. That way, instead of spending your time and resources preventing people from using touch stones you can just ban the people you don't want to play, make dedicated backups to your world, actually keep your progress, theres a lot of pluses to having your own dedicated server.

Taking over a public server and complaining about the people who come and go is the dumbest thing ever and I can't believe these threads are still being made. People are so afraid of trolls coming in and voting to reset... you know they can't vote to reset a server that you are admin of right?

Random people are needed to keep DST interesting, for me at least. I have a friend, who had a passworded dedicated server stacked with veterans. The world died within 100 days from boredom. Griefers provide unscripted attacks, attacks deadlier than hounds. They successfully destroy solo unguarded base, and hence griefers instill a siege mentality, to encourage team play instead of solo play.

If you comb through the posts made by my teammates, they are not angry about losing a 6614 days world. They are veterans on Klei servers, who have played enough and not rage despite losing a world record; they have accepted the existence of griefers in game. I dislike griefers, but I do not cower in fear of them. What my teammates are unhappy about, is the falsehood. I do not think anyone, including people who have been griefed, is entitled to spread lies. I own up what has been done. If you choose to lie or argue unreasonably, I would ignore you. There is no way I can win an unreasonable person logically.

When I started the 5k challenge, I already identified regeneration vote to be the key challenge. The easy way would be to get some auto eat macro and 7 bots to fill the slots. I would probably also tentacles the portal. But I took the hard way. I have to make the world fun enough, for at least 4 players to stay and defend it. No regeneration vote can go through when there is at least 4 people to vote against it.

No, I agree that grief is unavoidable and being nice to people won't affect their intentions much. I'm a public server player as well; I like the random encounters and comradery that comes from surviving with random people. You learn pretty quick that there are people who want to do anything that they can to ruin that.

The point was that in addition to griefing griefers, random people were getting griefed upon joining the game by the methods that were used. That created a lot of anger. The long servers aren't just a target because people like to ruin other people's games; they're also a target now because people tried joining these servers, were 'removed', and feel that the servers were being held hostage.
The reasons for keeping the servers 'protected' could be anything, but what ends up mattering and making more griefers is how it's seen from the outside. Just keep that in mind, because these methods will only bring more wrath to pubs.

2 hours ago, maradyne said:

The point was that in addition to griefing griefers, random people were getting griefed upon joining the game by the methods that were used. That created a lot of anger. The long servers aren't just a target because people like to ruin other people's games; they're also a target now because people tried joining these servers, were 'removed', and feel that the servers were being held hostage.
The reasons for keeping the servers 'protected' could be anything, but what ends up mattering and making more griefers is how it's seen from the outside. Just keep that in mind, because these methods will only bring more wrath to pubs.

This is almost point for point the same concept as Blowback. Whether it's a nation securing itself or people protecting a video game server the behavior and effect are strikingly similar. Amazing. 

3 hours ago, maradyne said:

The point was that in addition to griefing griefers, random people were getting griefed upon joining the game by the methods that were used.

We clearly have very different definition of what constitutes "griefing". I think malice and/or bad intentions are a necessary component to griefing. It seems that you have a different definition in mind, because you would be characterizing Blizstorm as behaving in bad faith otherwise, and I don't think that is the case here. Do you believe making the game difficult for others is a form of griefing? Because I would argue that a lot of new players make the game difficult for others by consuming more resources than they produce or lack of awareness of common courtesy, like looking through the ice box when other people are trying to cook. What does griefing mean to you?

3 hours ago, maradyne said:

feel that the servers were being held hostage.

We cannot control their feelings, but the matter of fact is that the players on Isquiggle and Clayfish are, at worst, normal pub players like anyone else. To say that the server was being "held hostage" is completely irrational (I was not aware there was ransom involved). Furthermore, there are at least a dozen other available servers in the Americas which does not have Bliz, any of the "El"s and are not over 70 days old. So in reality, it wasn't like any of these players were hurting for the chance to play. It's not up to them to control how many hours other players are allowed to play on a server, and besides possibly not enjoying their time on Clayfish/Isquiggle, this is not something that seriously affects them. I cannot stop people from pitching a fit, but the inevitability of that tantrum does not make it a reasonable thing to do.

Please be specific

4 hours ago, maradyne said:

No, I agree that grief is unavoidable and being nice to people won't affect their intentions much.

What does the 'people' in here refers to? Does it refer to griefers or the random people?

4 hours ago, maradyne said:

random people were getting griefed upon joining the game by the methods that were used.

what specific act of griefing are you referring to?

in general, what you are saying is "do not grief others so that they will not grief you"? I had generalised it to "treat people nicely and they will be nice to you". They are similar concepts and the arguments will still hold well.

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Right now a thread where "pros" baldly (ok, you can have hair too, good?! :lol:) boldly explain their reasons for taking "captive" public servers via traps and the reason why other griefers complain about their reverse-griefing behavior in other threads.

There, fify.

3 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

There, fify.

I and other players already told you that's not an accurate description of the event. We've already explained that servers are not being taken "captive", and it's unreasonable to call anything you don't like "griefing". You're not engaging with anything we've said, you're just repeating yourself. Please elaborate on your points, or this isn't a good faith attempt at having a discussion; this is name-calling. 

4 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Right now a thread where pros explain the reasons for their behavior

If you're talking (in part) about me, I refuse to be called a pro until I get paid to play DST. Until then, I'm just someone who wasted more hours of my life than most people. ಠ益ಠ 

Was on rabbit... something with rabbit name Klei server. 700 days fire pit and endofirepit in spawn. some nice little bases for new players main base was well hidden could not find maybe in atrium tentacles only near bq they are using public server with full capacity farming all bosses. I can only tell Good Job, i envy your server! And sorry about messing with your little cave base.

Archived