[Game Update] - 348980

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

The pipe construction crash and the building inputs blocking flow are both confirmed. Thanks for the reports and save files!

Leave the office and go home.  This is what a testing branch is for, no reason to pull extended overtime when things are working how they should!

2 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Please release the patches in the morning when you have enough time to debug till you go home.

Please Do not release it in the evening before the weekend just before you go home.

I second that. I think given it is still early days, it's not really an issue that we for instance have to play with unfinished art or unrefined game mechanics. If bug and crash fixing pushes that backwards, then I can definitely cope with that. Just want to be able to try stuff out and give decent feedback. That's what testing is all about.

Is it too late in development to make pipes have a predetermined direction of flow? I think it would eliminate bugs and be easier to understand.

While construction pipes, the direction of flow is set according to the direction they were being constructed. The direction of flow is visualized with little arrows that are visible with the pipe overlay. To join two pipes, there is a joiner, and to split a pipe into two, there is a splitter. Joiner and splitters have the shape of a T. You should also be able to change the direction of flow without having to deconstruct and reconstruct.

At the moment people are using pipe bridges to control the direction of flow which is unintuitive because the intended purpose of a bridge is just to allow two pipes to cross without joining.

Edited by kerosene
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

@kerosene You're literally describing current system but with flippable bridges.

Have you played Factorio? I'm describing the Factorio conveyor belts. The difference is that the Factorio belts have two lanes and no joiner section. A special joiner section wouldn't actually be necessary because it is always clear in which direction liquid should flow. Anyway, in Factorio there are never any ambiguities in regards to how items on a belt move and there have never been bugs because the system is so simple and robust. Factorio has figured out how to make a system that is simple to understand and just works. The ONI devs should consider just copying it (only the parts that are relevant to ONI).

Edited by kerosene
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Please Do not release it in the evening before the weekend just before you go home.

Really hope they fix it today. Dindt played it that much since the first QOL, waiting to have more content to play with, I have 4 free days to play and mostly already lost the yesterday one. I dont even blame Klei as it still a testing branch, but i feel a bit unlucky ahah :dejection:

2 hours ago, kerosene said:

Have you played Factorio? I'm describing the Factorio conveyor belts. The difference is that the Factorio belts have two lanes and no joiner section. A special joiner section wouldn't actually be necessary because it is always clear in which direction liquid should flow. Anyway, in Factorio there are never any ambiguities in regards to how items on a belt move and there have never been bugs because the system is so simple and robust. Factorio has figured out how to make a system that is simple to understand and just works. The ONI devs should consider just copying it (only the parts that are relevant to ONI).

I want to have “underground” pipe as well, so that I can easily jump over 2 lines of pipes already built. 

4 hours ago, kerosene said:

Is it too late in development to make pipes have a predetermined direction of flow? I think it would eliminate bugs and be easier to understand.

While construction pipes, the direction of flow is set according to the direction they were being constructed. The direction of flow is visualized with little arrows that are visible with the pipe overlay. To join two pipes, there is a joiner, and to split a pipe into two, there is a splitter. Joiner and splitters have the shape of a T. You should also be able to change the direction of flow without having to deconstruct and reconstruct.

At the moment people are using pipe bridges to control the direction of flow which is unintuitive because the intended purpose of a bridge is just to allow two pipes to cross without joining.

This is a bad idea in my opinion. Pipes should be able to flow back and forth, without having to rebuild them. Maybe in an early time you want a liquid to go one way through a pipe, but later on, you want to use said pipe for a different purpose and have it flow the other way. I'd rather not have to rebuild a whole pipeline just to turn around the flow.. :/

An example of this: I need a bit of water to fill up the pipes for my lavatories. So I build a pipe from my water reservoir to the lavatory systems. I fill up the lavatory system, but most likely I'll have water left over in the pipes after this. So I disconnect the bridge I used for the last bit to hook up the pipe from the reservoir to the lavatory piping, and set it up the other way around, and hook up a water exit to it on the other side in my basin so the remainder of the water in the pipes can flow back into the reservoir.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot.. I just had a crash involving piping. no black hole, just straight up the game freezing when I plonked down a liquid reservoir with pipes already in place to hook up to it.

The Darkest Shelter.sav

Edited by suicide commando
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MeesterButts said:

And what a completely helpful addition to the conversation /s

Fortunately, this really bad idea has a snowballs's chance in hell.

Edited by Gurgel

35 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

This is a bad idea in my opinion. Pipes should be able to flow back and forth, without having to rebuild them. Maybe in an early time you want a liquid to go one way through a pipe, but later on, you want to use said pipe for a different purpose and have it flow the other way. I'd rather not have to rebuild a whole pipeline just to turn around the flow.. :/

You missed the part where I said that the direction should be changable without rebuilding. Is this the only bad thing you can think of?

4 hours ago, kerosene said:

I think it would eliminate bugs and be easier to understand.

How would it be easier to understand? "output to input" is about as basic as you can get. If anything, this would increase the complexity. 

It also belongs in the suggestions forum, not cluttering up this thread. 

Edited by Yunru
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yunru said:

How would it be easier to understand? "output to input" is about as basic as you can get. If anything, this would increase the complexity. 

It also belongs in the suggestions forum, not cluttering up this thread. 

Hi are you having crashes on your game still? I havent been able to play today yet.

5 hours ago, kerosene said:

The pipe system is easy man " or was now its behaving weird because of the new patch". Once you know a little more about it you can do a lot of cool uses with bridges and normal pipe flows. As for your suggestion idk the factorio piping so idk if it would be better than the oni system "but for me the piping seems really fine just lettuce, pufts and in a smaller but not uninportant degree the new sieve.

Also guys i would lile to add that the liquid and gas reservoirs now crash the game too with the new piping if you connect only one without bridges it tends to work as soon as you try to 1: connect all the white ports as usual the flow stops.

2: if you wrongly connect all the ports of 2 reservoirs in one another the game crashes without blackhole advertise. Example for clarity using gas reservoirs i had a straight line connecting the inputs and another straight line connecting the outputs, this was working perfectly before but with patch the flow stops then i just pushed a 1 tile pipe connecting the bottom line to the upper line to see what you happen in that momment the crash occur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, natanstarke said:

Hi are you having crashes on your game still? I havent been able to play today yet.

Yup! Just had one, again while building pipes. Problem is I'm building in sandbox mode so cycles aren't passing for there to be an autosave.

Edited by Yunru

1 hour ago, Slavyanin said:

No hotfix today? Beta test build unplayable with this pipe crash

If Klei is located in Vancouver, it's likely that they haven't returned to the office yet.  As of the time of writing, it is 12:22 PM Eastern, which means it's 9:22 PM Pacific (in the USA and Canada).  They're probably still enjoying their morning coffee or doing their morning stand-up meeting.  The day has only just begun.  Carpe diem!  ;)

2 hours ago, Slavyanin said:

No hotfix today? Beta test build unplayable with this pipe crash

They have staging build for 7 hours (means they worked till like 3-4AM trying to fix it ;]) and, hopefully, we should expect it to go live in few hours ;)

• Like 1