[Game Update] - 348553

• Developer

Hi friends! We've made some changes to the way the temperatures of building outputs are calculated. Buildings which were previously outputting at a fixed temperature (i.e. the Water Sieve at 40°C) now treat that configuration as a minimum output temperature. If input materials are hotter than this, the output temperature will be correspondingly raised.

We've added rough descriptions of each output's behavior to the tooltips on the build menu.

Other than this algorithm change, the set temperatures and behaviours of buildings are untouched in this patch. We'll be testing and keeping an eye out for new issues that may arise from this, especially in the early game.

Your discussions and feedback are awesome, once again thank you!

• Fix crash when loading old codex entries
  • Large overhaul to conduit flow algorithms. It should run significantly faster and be more correct.
  • Conduit data update when building new pipes is rewritten, should prevent a lag spike when adding new pipes.
  • Updated Saltvine artwork
  • Added colony summary button on reports screen
  • Clean up sick dupe status when they die
  • Fix crash when loading older saves with custom settings
  • Fetch chores of different types no longer "Block" each other from being completed. Fixes certain fetches never getting done if another fetch is low priority or unreachable. Fixes Duplicants not delivering to fabricators in some instances
  • Fix crash if a recipe is cancelled at the moment it's completed
  • Improvements to the victory sequence text layout and buttons
  • Pips and Pokes now have entries in the critter feeder
  • Updated Chinese translations
  • The various water types now have different densities so they will sort out when stacked
  • Fixed-temperature-output buildings will now output at a hotter temperature if their input materials are hotter than the configured temperature.
  • Most building output descriptions now include the output temperature
  • Negative rates in tooltips no longer (bracketed)

View full update

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9

8 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

The various water types now have different densities so they will sort out when stacked

nice

8 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Most building output descriptions now include the output temperature

more info best info :D

• Like 4

Im loving this update and the changes but, what you have done to lettuce made it from stupidly easy, to stupidly bad, using bleach stone i could understand if we could make bleach stone like we can make oxolite. This would mean that up until the point that we have researched that machine we would need to hunt out bleach stone upon the map, but after we have researched to create it we can turn chlorine into bleach stone.

Either give us the ability to make bleach stone in the oxolite machine or make lettuce need a chlorine atmosphere whilst within salt water, this would make sense as the base of the plant is within water and the flower reaches for the chlorine to feed on.

• Like 4

I'm not understanding why the fix for the fixed output devices was a simple one way nerf instead of an actual fix. Why does the device only add heat? Why not make the fixed output temp 0 (since most of these devices are dealing with water anyway) and then have it so that Temp In = Temp Out?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

sigh. so the worst of both options. no heat deletion, just heat addition. I have a bad feeling about this.

yep.   its more 'real life' but then hey, we're playing a game with a seriously limited sim. i've been enjoying myself less and less since this beta launched. trying to stay positive..

2 minutes ago, Ayka said:

I'm not understanding why the fix for the fixed output devices was a simple one way nerf instead of an actual fix. Why does the device only add heat? Why not make the fixed output temp 0 (since most of these devices are dealing with water anyway) and then have it so that Temp In = Temp Out?

it "seems clear" (lol) that to the devs  we need to be struggling with heat. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fixed-temperature-output buildings will now output at a hotter temperature if their input materials are hotter than the configured temperature.

Does that mean if the input temperature is lower the output should be lower too? Or is it fixed but in the case where it's over the fixed temp then it comes out hotter?

I guess that now we will need to use real machines to cool things down and not the Water Sieve.

Exit the cooling loops early in the base.

2 minutes ago, Tristiss said:

Does that mean if the input temperature is lower the output should be lower too? Or is it fixed but in the case where it's over the fixed temp then it comes out hotter?

The way I understand it is the following:

- Input at 10, output at 40 (for the Water Sieve)

- Input at 65, output at 65.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ayka said:

Why does the device only add heat?

It`s simple. The device needs liquid water at a certain temperature to work. So it heats it up if it`s colder. Would be better if the minimal was 20oC for the sieve but you can`t have everything.

• Like 8

Water Sieve is mechanical water cleaning trough sand, it should not add or delete and heat, ecept the small heat what most electrical buildings add.

Early game will be hard in those maps without ice biomes... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Shingara said:

Im loving this update and the changes but, what you have done to lettuce made it from stupidly easy, to stupidly bad, using bleach stone i could understand if we could make bleach stone like we can make oxolite. This would mean that up until the point that we have researched that machine we would need to hunt out bleach stone upon the map, but after we have researched to create it we can turn chlorine into bleach stone.

Either give us the ability to make bleach stone in the oxolite machine or make lettuce need a chlorine atmosphere whilst within salt water, this would make sense as the base of the plant is within water and the flower reaches for the chlorine to feed on.

Are Squeaky Pufts really that forgotten?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Large overhaul to conduit flow algorithms. It should run significantly faster and be more correct.
  • Conduit data update when building new pipes is rewritten, should prevent a lag spike when adding new pipes

Has anyone an idea how to build auqa tuner cooling loop that keep circulating when the tuner is disabled by the automation?5d1e48f892a06_coolingLoop.thumb.jpg.e5c2f216e80917fa09fc6cccdd173334.jpg

You also can not run a pipe through several white inputs anymore it is as if pipe segments after a white input dont exist.

Edited by Tisamon
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s simple. The device needs liquid water at a certain temperature to work. So it heats it up if it`s colder. Would be better if the minimal was 20oC for the sieve but you can`t have everything.

I used to have a water filter for my Pool, which worked with sand. Exactly as the Water Sieve does here; and that did not add heat to my pool. It isn't as "Simple" as you'd lead others to believe. Its a balance change, and I'm curious why on top of Wheezewart Nerfs and other things that this was a nerf and not a fix.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

Are Squeaky Pufts really that forgotten?

There not forgotten, but lets be serious, how many of those specific pufts do you need to feed a farm of lettuce if your lets say feeding your dupes on mushroom wraps, And either way critters of this type should be an alternative to not a main way to get bleach stone once you have drained the map of bleach stone. Giving us a machine or giving the oxolite machine the ability to create bleachstone is a way to generate bleachstone on an inustrial scale when you want have many dupes to feed.

Added to this, it would make us go, yay a chlorine gyser instead of ow we got a chlorine gyser, great/

Edited by Shingara

46 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

-Large overhaul to conduit flow algorithms.
-Fetch chores of different types no longer "Block" each other from being completed.
-Fixed-temperature-output buildings will now output at a hotter temperature...

Long time asked changes/fixes, very good work on thoses ones Klei !

Except I join other ppl about the "input"="output" temp ;)

On the good way for the soonish-launch anyway !

1 minute ago, Shingara said:

There not forgotten, but lets be serious, how many of those specific pufts do you need to feed a farm of lettuce if your lets say feeding your dupes on mushroom wraps, And either way critters of this type should be an alternative to not a main way to get bleach stone once you have drained the map of bleach stone. Giving us a machine or giving the oxolite machine the ability to create bleachstone is a way to generate bleachstone on an inustrial scale when you want have many dupes to feed.

They're already very niche, and Lettuce is an optional ingredient. Though adding more methods would be nice, it's just that Squeaky pufts should be really efficient while the machine churns it out while maybe letting out a byproduct, like hydrogen from processing something else. 

Just when Squeaky pufts thought they would get used again, people complain about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

sigh. so the worst of both options. no heat deletion, just heat addition. I have a bad feeling about this.

I hoped for a simple solution, that these buildings adding a couple of °C to the input and fine (5-10 degrees). If I understand the comment correctly, the minimum output is still 40°C, if the input is colder? That would be a ass move :( I test it now into the game. If my guess is right, goodnight...

• Like 3

my sieve is outputting at 39.9 Celsius, im confused.

Okay actually its 40 but im still confused since my polluted water is 95. do i need to start a new game im guessing?

Edited by Mujinzo

45 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hi friends! We've made some changes to the way the temperatures of building outputs are calculated. Buildings which were previously outputting at a fixed temperature (i.e. the Water Sieve at 40°C) now treat that configuration as a minimum output temperature. If input materials are hotter than this, the output temperature will be correspondingly raised.

Hmm. You know, you are making cooling really difficult there with first the WW and Icemaker nerv and now this. I don't think that is a good idea, especially for new players. Basically what is left until mid-game is the ice-maker and is not really easy to use and not very effective in addition. I think you are seriously overdoing this cooling nerv.

I am sure I can cope (especially as I am doing a frozen-core Rime at the moment ;-), but I have been at this for a while now.

• Like 2

Just now, Alfons100 said:

They're already very niche, and Lettuce is an optional ingredient. Though adding more methods would be nice, it's just that Squeaky pufts should be really efficient while the machine churns it out while maybe letting out a byproduct, like hydrogen from processing something else. 

Just when Squeaky pufts thought they would get used again, people complain about it.

well its optional on some maps, on rime its actually one of the stable foods, and im not complaining about pufts, there cute little buggers, but again, do that math, 30 lettuce plants, how many pufts, and thats if you get the right ones.

• Like 1