[Game Update] - 347957

8 hours ago, Machenoid said:

They should be fixed by creating a middle-road trait that would imply both but doesn't take up 2 trait spaces.

If geoactive adds 4 geysers and geodormant removes 3 geysers, the intermediate would just add 1 geyser.

On the other hand, having these two traits on a map is two fewer slots for the various boulder traits.

7 hours ago, Machenoid said:

If waterweed really needs to be fertilized by something when domesticated, then it should be fertilized with lime, based on some ratio of pokeshells fed by wild waterweed, to dupes fed by that pokeshell-lime fertilized waterweed. The bleachstone could be replaced with very small amounts of lime and fossils. (shells on a beach)

Given the biome, salt would have been a natural choice for fertilization.  But we don't have guaranteed sources of renewable salt, so that leaves us no better off than with bleach stone.

The Waterweed change is everything I hate about ONI plants in a nutshell. Wild plants are painfully-set-up free resources from nothing while domestic plants are massive resource sinks that if you rely on too long will absolutely drain some resource you otherwise would be fine with, which can only be balanced either by the map containing huge amounts of that resource (so you get to space to exploit other worlds before it runs out) or some crazy way to generate it from abundant resources or nothing.

In my opinion, food plants should have the following inputs and outputs (underlined for domestic only):

• Mealwood: O2, [polluted] water -> CO2, meal lice (fast but eats up your oxygen, early dirty food source)
  • Bristle Blossom: light, CO2, [polluted] water -> O2, bristle berry (slower and harder to setup, but good for sustainable bases)
  • Sleet Wheat: light, CO2, water -> O2, sleet wheat grain (later replacement if you can keep it cold)
  • Dusk Cap: darkness, [polluted] O2, polluted dirt -> CO2, mushroom (good supplement to the previous)
  • Pincha Pepper: polluted waterphosphorite -> pincha peppernut (an improvement for if you get Dreckos going)
  • Water Weed: light, CO2, saltwater -> O2, lettuce (endgame alternative to sleet wheat, slightly harder to set up)
  • Nosh Sprout: light, CO2, waterphosphorite -> O2, nosh bean (for when you want to double down on cold because saltwater is hard to come by)

Basically the idea is plants generally would have some gas interaction that makes even their wild variants somewhat require setup to maintain, and then extra domestic requirements are minimal until you get into the later stuff.

Also, we should be able to make saltwater by putting salt in water...and polluted water by putting polluted dirt in water.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nebbie said:

The Waterweed change is everything I hate about ONI plants in a nutshell. Wild plants are painfully-set-up free resources from nothing while domestic plants are massive resource sinks that if you rely on too long will absolutely drain some resource you otherwise would be fine with

That was the beauty of the old yield system.  You could plant a bristle blossom anywhere and leave it alone, and it would almost always grow and you'd bet a bristle berry every X cycles.  Or you could give it fertilizer, and every X cycles you'd get two berries.  Or you could go all out, engineering a climate controlled farm with finely tuned temperature, atmospheric pressure, and chilled water, and get three berries every X days.

The system had everything.  A fire-and-forget option for those who didn't or couldn't invest into elaborate setups, and a real challenge for those who wanted to flex their problem-solving muscles.  Granted, plants died after harvest and seeds, IIRC, were limited to the best yields, but I really wish they'd integrated the rules we now play by (plants never die and have a set change to crop a seed every harvest) into the old yield system.

• Like 15

37 minutes ago, goboking said:

That was the beauty of the old yield system.  You could plant a bristle blossom anywhere and leave it alone, and it would almost always grow and you'd bet a bristle berry every X cycles.  Or you could give it fertilizer, and every X cycles you'd get two berries.  Or you could go all out, engineering a climate controlled farm with finely tuned temperature, atmospheric pressure, and chilled water, and get three berries every X days.

The system had everything.  A fire-and-forget option for those who didn't or couldn't invest into elaborate setups, and a real challenge for those who wanted to flex their problem-solving muscles.  Granted, plants died after harvest and seeds, IIRC, were limited to the best yields, but I really wish they'd integrated the rules we now play by (plants never die and have a set change to crop a seed every harvest) into the old yield system.

Yes please. It could solve many problems. Best if you can freely mix the conditions. 

In honesty i would like a mini harvest moon farming style:

The more conditions you supplement the more yield you get.

The longer you keep the conditions fulfilled the higher the quality. (+to moral combines in cooking; caped of course at +2 i would say; reset not instand but fast; in example: +0,1 Quality per cycle/ -1 Quality per cycle per missing condition)

This way we may get also the possibility to learn all jobs IF we manage to provide extra luxurious food :)

Edited by FenrirZeroZero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goboking said:

On the other hand, having these two traits on a map is two fewer slots for the various boulder traits.

Given the biome, salt would have been a natural choice for fertilization.  But we don't have guaranteed sources of renewable salt, so that leaves us no better off than with bleach stone.

There is a saltwater geyser which we can convert salt water to salt and water, and there is brine as well. I heard there will be guaranted salt water geyser in every asteroid, but the problem will be, when do we find it, before or after our salt deplete. Either that or they could add a new critter for rust biome, like many suggested, a drecko variant that either produce rust or salt. 

1 hour ago, goboking said:

I've never played with this yield system before, but somehow it makes sense and easier to understand plus giving an incentive to a domesticated plant. Of course we do have incentive as of the current yield system, with time, reduced growth time which equal to more yield, which doesnt really affect much IMO. But a more yield per plant based on their condition and treatment (so farmer actually means something again) might be a good thing. 

That's the thing with game no, you add more stuffs, you change some stuffs, balance get thrown away, you fixed one, and another one pop out. 

1 hour ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Anyone else notice that dupes won't finish the last order for things?  I've seen this on the kiln and metal refineries when I place large orders, say 20-50.  When I come back, one is left on the list.  Just wanted to confirm before submitting a bug.

I've seen this happen with the rock crusher. I thought they'd 'get around to it' at some point but now you mention it, it sounds like a bug of some kind.

• Like 2

Don't try Buried Oil and Irregular Oil, your PC will implode. (not really, Buried Oil takes priority, Seed 264667417)

Magma Channels and Frozen Core sadly does not work out well, they are separated... (Seed 196956046)

26 minutes ago, nivodeus said:

That's the thing with game no, you add more stuffs, you change some stuffs, balance get thrown away, you fixed one, and another one pop out. 

To be clear, I'm not saying the current system is imbalanced (even if some of the plants just added need some fine-tuning), or even bad.  But it's not nearly as fun as the old system was.  Trying to meet all the criteria for highest yield sleet wheat was quite a rewarding endeavor.

43 minutes ago, goboking said:

To be clear, I'm not saying the current system is imbalanced (even if some of the plants just added need some fine-tuning), or even bad.  But it's not nearly as fun as the old system was.  Trying to meet all the criteria for highest yield sleet wheat was quite a rewarding endeavor.

Dont get me wrong. Im not accusing anyone of anything and I dont think the game is imbalanced as well. This is still a preview, much can still be done to fix whatever needed to be fixed. The old yield system did sound fun to play with, I agree on that. 

1 hour ago, suicide commando said:

I've seen this happen with the rock crusher. I thought they'd 'get around to it' at some point but now you mention it, it sounds like a bug of some kind.

Ive seen this as well. 

1 hour ago, nivodeus said:

I heard there will be guaranted salt water geyser in every asteroid, but the problem will be, when do we find it, before or after our salt deplete.

At this time, there is not. Looked at about 10 Rime maps yesterday evening and only 3 had a saltwater geyser.

Edited by Gurgel

These asteroid surroundings should be mutually exclusive:

Geoactive - Geodormant

Metal Rich - Metal Poor

Mixed Boulders - small, medium, large boulders

Also, thanks for the WASD in the research tab.

Edited by BayouMac

8 hours ago, FenrirZeroZero said:

Yes please. It could solve many problems. Best if you can freely mix the conditions. 

You basically had a set of four conditions that would improve yield: air pressure, temperature, fertilization, and irrigation.  You earned up to 25 points per category during the plant's lifecycle, and if you achieved a score of 40+ you got a good harvest, and 80+ for an excellent one.  Air pressure was the easy target to hit.  Adding either fertilizer (the material) or irrigation would get you to a good one.  You had to hit all four to get an excellent yield, and temperature ranges were very narrow.  The plants still grow outside the listed temperature range, but you wouldn't earn points towards you yield unless you build a climate control system of some kind (or grew plants in their native biomes).  Mealwood, for example, had to be between 18 and 22 °C, while pincha peppers were 55 to 60 °C.

The problem with the system is the plants died upon harvest and didn't drop seeds unless you achieved an excellent rating.  Bristle berries themselves would produce seeds when consumed, but meal wood needed that 80+ score to replenish itself, meaning for most players it was a finite source of food.  I wish they'd kept the system, but made plants behave how they do now (never die, 10% base chance to drop seeds, etc).  Then we'd have the best of both systems.  But alas, it is what it is.

8 minutes ago, goboking said:

You basically had a set of four conditions that would improve yield: air pressure, temperature, fertilization, and irrigation.  You earned up to 25 points per category during the plant's lifecycle, and if you achieved a score of 40+ you got a good harvest, and 80+ for an excellent one.  Air pressure was the easy target to hit.  Adding either fertilizer (the material) or irrigation would get you to a good one.  You had to hit all four to get an excellent yield, and temperature ranges were very narrow.  The plants still grow outside the listed temperature range, but you wouldn't earn points towards you yield unless you build a climate control system of some kind (or grew plants in their native biomes).  Mealwood, for example, had to be between 18 and 22 °C, while pincha peppers were 55 to 60 °C.

The problem with the system is the plants died upon harvest and didn't drop seeds unless you achieved an excellent rating.  Bristle berries themselves would produce seeds when consumed, but meal wood needed that 80+ score to replenish itself, meaning for most players it was a finite source of food.  I wish they'd kept the system, but made plants behave how they do now (never die, 10% base chance to drop seeds, etc).  Then we'd have the best of both systems.  But alas, it is what it is.

It does sound decent, but I think no-resource never-dying plants together makes things too easy. I guess what I'd really like is:

• Plants intake gases, meaning you only need them in the proper atmosphere long enough each cycle for full growth (no one tile of natural gas halting growth, and you need to actually pump in gases as plants will consume them)
  • Plants only die if outside growable conditions (temperature, pressure, lighting) for a long period of time (>10 cycles, so you do need to eventually mess with the atmospheric conditions on wild planting you do), and always drop a seed on dying (so when you explore, you won't lose anything from the plant having died)
  • Plants with just gas, growable temperature, and lighting requirements grow slowly (same wild or planted), but additional inputs like ideal temperature, irrigation, and fertilization make them grow/throughput faster (current domesticated speed while both are satisfied)
  • Planting tiles allow you to specify whether to irrigate and fertilize

This way, you can basically do pseudowild planting, but it takes some minimal infrastructure, and as you get closer to ideal farming infrastructure, your plants get more time growing at a decent speed.

6 hours ago, Codedependent said:

They fixed the white flash in the gas range duplicant animations ;)

...but I still don't get it. What is the gas range duplicant animation? I need to know this in the event that I have to add it to my increasingly large backlog of ONI animations that I have to compile. :wilson_curious:

Edit: They mean the Gourmet Cooking Station animations. :wilson_unimpressed:

Edited by watermelen671