[Game Update] - 347957

1 minute ago, rafker said:

I think its okay, I still dont understand why NAT GAS cooking station requires power to operate. at least not the 240 watt for the love of god

It needs BIIIIIIG sparks ^^ by the way, agreed.

17 minutes ago, rafker said:
15 minutes ago, OxCD said:

It needs BIIIIIIG sparks ^^ by the way, agreed.

I think its okay, I still dont understand why NAT GAS cooking station requires power to operate. at least not the 240 watt for the love of god

From a coding point of view, adding power usage is a lot faster and easier than adding an automation input and a lot less prone to bugs. The game automatically adds automation on/off to anything requiring power. Adding a power requirement looks like a quick solution to allow turning the building off with automation.

It doesn't explain the 240 W though. I would argue 10 W would make more sense because that's the same as a gas shutoff.

Note: easy isn't the same as lazy. It means the developer will become available faster to make some other feature. Lazy is if the developer is done faster without being available for other tasks. There is a big difference there.

Edited by Nightinggale
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

Wouldn't that make the game way too easy? I mean think of all the power you can get from steam turbines. Suddenly the ethanol power loop is nothing.

If you survive the early-mid game and half your asteroid cooking from uninsulated magma, yep. Also a big advantage in renewable mass.

Edited by Kangaax

2 minutes ago, Kangaax said:

If you survive the early-mid game and half your asteroid cooking from uninsulated magma, yep. Also a big advantage in renewable mass.

For those who doesn't get it, it was a joke based on the talk about ethanol being too easy to use for power production as it would basically be "free energy out of nothing".

Realistically speaking, I'm not sure I will survive long enough to even get steam turbines on a map that hot. If you are skilled enough to research and build steam turbines there, I say it would be fair to reward you with free energy. It's the least of your problems.

1 minute ago, Nightinggale said:

For those who doesn't get it, it was a joke based on the talk about ethanol being too easy to use for power production as it would basically be "free energy out of nothing".

Realistically speaking, I'm not sure I will survive long enough to even get steam turbines on a map that hot. If you are skilled enough to research and build steam turbines there, I say it would be fair to reward you with free energy. It's the least of your problems.

I think I didnt get the joke because I thought exactly that when i saw the screenshot (omg all that free power) and then realized that's probably going to murder me dead :D

38 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

This one is especially interesting. Does it mean no magma? Can we dig up the bottom of the map?

Indeed. It's cold though, very cold and with that I mean extremely cold. Sub -100°C

Both pufts and wild-farming need a balance pass.

I assume the reason pufts have a very low metabolism is that Klei doesn’t want wild pufts from turning slime biomes into vacuum. But ranched pufts should have a much, MUCH faster metabolism to produce anything with a reasonable number of critters. Part of the problem is that gas systems involve much lower numbers than buildings that consume solids, and if we want pufts to conserve mass, then we are more or less constrained to those low numbers. A possible change would be to add a solid diet to ranched pufts, on top of their gaseous diet. Maybe pufts could eat mushrooms on top of whatever they breathe?

As for wild-farming: we want a system that encourages you to keep wild plants where they are, while still allowing you to keep wild plants in your parks, and have the most productive plants be the ones you farm. A simple fix to this is to harshly reduce the production of replanted plants if they are bunched up together, outside their original biome, and/or for the first 100 cycles after planting.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what this actually means yet?

• Tree Branches take much longer to grow old and self-harvest

Is this only for trees left to self harvest or does this mean longer lumber cycles for domestic dupe harvested trees as well? (Out running errands with the wife and kidlet so I can't check for myself for a few hours) 

Edit: Just read in another thread it's only for non-dupe harvesting. 

Edited by beowulf2010