Do you think we'll get nuclear reactors in Launch?

22 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

The radioactive stuff will probably end up being part of one or more existing biomes (probably rust) on release. It seems like it'd be bad practice to include assets for DLC when the base game isn't even done.

Replying to you, but it's applicable to other people in this thread: assets are not made by the same people that code features. When a game nears release, you have a large portion of the people working on it that don't have anything to do anymore, because their part is done. So a company can either fire them, get them working on another game, or get them working on DLC for that first game.

Having part of a company work on DLC before a game is released is, if anything, a sign of a healthy company that cares for their employees. By itself, it does not mean they are more focused on money than on making good games.

38 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

We got lead this patch and some uranium assets. Uranium makes more sense as a power source than radium and lead might be the required material for reactors. But if they want to add it they should do it this week. Otherwise there might not be enough time to test it out properly.

And it's weird, there's already an asset for lead in the game. but they're not using it...

lead_0.png.c46300866f251d7c93178fabe02421ae.png

It looks really appealing, for lead. So why are they using the gold amalgam asset for it?

ALSO WHY DOES GAME ALLOW US TO USE LEAD AS A PIPE MATERIAL?!?!

52 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

Ready and willing to complain about the absence of each and every one of these. Where do I sign up for the brigade?

Here.:wilson_sneaky:

24 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

And it's weird, there's already an asset for lead in the game. but they're not using it...

They aren`t using the rust asset as well. I think they just didn`t hook it up yet. But it looks so cool. Also lead can be found in refined form in the game and appears it doesn`t have an ore.

28 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

The Roman empire used lead pipes. They learned about lead poisoning the hard way and started to search for alternatives. A Roman settlement in the UK used pipes made of oak. They took entire tree trunks, drilled a hole through it and used the trunk as a pipe. They cut the ends to be able to insert them into each other. They most likely worked fairly well compared to how leaky other pipes likely were back then.

This brings up the question: why can't I build my liquid pipes out of lumber?

Just now, Nightinggale said:

The Roman empire used lead pipes. They learned about lead poisoning the hard way and started to search for alternatives. A Roman settlement in the UK used pipes made of oak. They took entire tree trunks, drilled a hole through it and used the trunk as a pipe. They cut the ends to be able to insert them into each other. They most likely worked fairly well compared to how leaky other pipes likely were back then.

This brings up the question: why can't I build my liquid pipes out of lumber?

Because the building part of the Multi-tool is centered around metal-work, not woodwork.

The poor buggers wouldn't even know how to make wood pipes if they can't just yeet smaller bits of material with their gun.

11 hours ago, OxCD said:

It's just my feeling I agree, but the DLC should add only features they didn't think about when the game was in-developpement, for the release.

How does that work though? Do you tell developers "Guy's no speculating on new concepts cause if you think of something cool we either have to do it now or we can never do it"?  Also just the way game development happens always includes trade-offs. At some point, ideally early on if things are being run well, a they'll look at a concept they're wanting to implement and decide the amount of time to implement that one thing properly would either delay the game beyond what's financially manageable or require dropping too many other features.  Ultimately a game has to be released and it will never be released with everything the dev's wanted to put in originally.  That doesn't mean you're being nickle and dimed it just means there's only so many years of development a whole team can put into a $20 game or a $40 game or whatever price point it's sitting at.  There are of course companies that abuse this and cut finished content to sell later but that doesn't mean any single time a few art assets exist for something that comes out later that's what's happening. 

There is a slight exception to this with perpetual development titles but those are a relatively recent thing and still aren't overly common.  They also tend to be from very very small teams if not basically a single person (e.g. dwarf fortress

I'm kinda old school framework, but 10 or 15 years ago when a game came out, it's finished, and devs have gathered all ideas, and polished them, into the release version, because DLC wasn't an existing concept.

This just isn't true though... I've been gaming since the mid 80's and one plenty of games were not polished, you were just flat out screwed if your game bugged out.  Apparently you could sometimes send out for patch discs sometimes or if you were lucky get them on game magazines but I live in Australia so even that wasn't a particularly viable option (and I wasn't aware it was a thing till welllll after the fact).  I never managed to finish Hero's Quest III despite playing it on 3 seperate systems 2 of which were entirely different architectures (Amiga and DOS) every one of those hit a gamebreaking bug at some point, that's just one example, there were looaadddss of other games I ran into issues with over the years.

As for content have you forgotten expansion packs? Or do they get a pass because they weren't downloadable? I guarantee there were expansion packs that were in the pipeline before the main title hit shelves and we just didn't hear about it because the web wasn't as established/didn't even exist back then (the internet did obviously but WWW didn't).  There were also plenty of shovelware cash in expansions pumped out. In the RTS golden era there were heaps of titles that put out an expansion with basically some skirmish maps tied together with the thinnest plot possible and a reskinned 'new faction'.  There were plenty of fantastic expansion packs too of course, ones that offered as much as a main title but there's also tons of great DLC that offers the same sort of value.  Judge them individually on their merits not some weird rose-tinted view of the past.

*edit* Oops I still call it bloody Hero's Quest by default >_<... I mean Quest For Glory III btw.

21 minutes ago, Chaoticlusts said:

Judge them individually on their merits not some weird rose-tinted view of the past.

Glad to see other & different opinions are existing, otherwise this world should be so tasteless.

Nevertheless, please do respect mines.

Apart of this, I invit you to read all my post, including those where I talked about how much grateful I am for this really nice game I truly love.

And by the way, sorry but I don't like pink.

9 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Glad to see other & different opinions are existing, otherwise this world should be so tasteless.

Nevertheless, please do respect mines.

Apart of this, I invit you to read all my post, including those were I talked about how much grateful I am for this really nice game I truly love.

And by the way, sorry but I don't like pink.

Something being good or bad value is an opinion and agreed everyone is 100% entitled to their own but saying all games in the old days came out 100% polished and finished and game companies never held back content to release later is a factual statement and I don't mean this to sound like an attack but it's simply not true.  

If you think that practice should never happen in general whether in the past or present then again that's entirely opinion and while I disagree with it (only in the absolute sense, I do think the more exploitative ways it happens are bad) I do respect your right to have it.

Also pink is Hello Kitty's colour and is therefor fantastic but we can agree to disagree there ;)

*edit* Also I apologise for that last line (the one you quoted) that was a bit attacky which wasn't my intention.

5 minutes ago, goboking said:

We're about a ~3rd of the way through July and still no nuclear reactor, centrifuge, uranium, yellow cake, etc.  There's still time to sneak this stuff in, Klei.  :)

Every time I see you post something about Nuclear stuff, I chuckle a bit. 

It isn't that I don't think they will add Nuclear (I am quite sure they will EVENTUALLY). 

I just think its funny how often you bring it up. I don't think I have ever seen someone so dedicated to nuclear power. 

Are you related to Mr. Montgomery Burns?

28 minutes ago, Gracefulmuse said:

Every time I see you post something about Nuclear stuff, I chuckle a bit. 

It isn't that I don't think they will add Nuclear (I am quite sure they will EVENTUALLY). 

I just think its funny how often you bring it up. I don't think I have ever seen someone so dedicated to nuclear power. 

Are you related to Mr. Montgomery Burns?

Going back to March 23rd (10 pages worth of post history) I've mentioned "nuclear" in three threads (including this one), one of which is the thread dedicated to datamined assets from which I the art in the OP is drawn.  Is three threads in four months really that excessive?  If so, then yeah, you can call me Montgomery.

As much as I like playing around with new stuff, I sincerely hope the devs stop finagling around with core mechanics (like heat deletion) in the runup to release. The Quality-of-Life versions kept adding, breaking and removing features; Launch Update (number 1...) feels more like QoL 4 to 7 rolled into one than a final polish pass: it's half-baked (a couple of great ideas, a couple of downright bad ones that get removed after a weekend), keeps introducing new bugs instead of removing the old ones.

To me, it feels like the game has changed more over the past three months than it did in all of 2018. I wonder why, and I wonder whether that's a good thing.

So I hope we don't get even more new stuff :)

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, Lurve said:

It does take money to make the game, so they ought to be strategerizing some kind of profit, right?  As profit strategies go, I like expansions* better than sequelitis: making Oxygen Still Not Included and Oxygen Not Included 3: Meep's Revenge and ONI4 (just the acronym) and Oxygen Not Included (reboot), each of which just recreates the base game in a new engine with as much new stuff as we get in a minor update.

I bought this game two yearsish ago.  I'm fine paying again in a year's time if it keeps that sweet sweet content flowing.

*Note: the game industry doesn't like to call things "expansions" anymore, it's all "DLCs" now because it makes it harder to tell the difference between actual content packs and buying horse armor.  If ONI DLC is on the same level as DS DLCs have been, they'd be worth it.

I would prefer an actual expansion where they rebuild the engine from scratch utilizing newer technologies or build upon better optimization code.

5 hours ago, goboking said:

Going back to March 23rd (10 pages worth of post history) I've mentioned "nuclear" in three threads (including this one), one of which is the thread dedicated to datamined assets from which I the art in the OP is drawn.  Is three threads in four months really that excessive?  If so, then yeah, you can call me Montgomery.

Really? Hmm. I could have sworn I have seen you mention it much more often. Maybe it's because the first mention I saw was yours and my brain just filled any sort of nuclear talk from people without a profile picture to be you. 

I have a pretty bad memory, so I recall almost all the users on this forum by their picture rather then name. 

Sorry for the confusion then, haha. 

(Nothing against not having a profile picture, I do not have one myself (too lazy)).

On 7/2/2019 at 12:38 AM, watermelen671 said:

Many water supply systems in the US still use lead piping. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to hold up the same proud standards for my clone-filled asteroid...

On 7/10/2019 at 11:47 PM, yatima2975 said:

To me, it feels like the game has changed more over the past three months than it did in all of 2018. I wonder why, and I wonder whether that's a good thing.

I don't think it is a good thing. It feels a bit panicked and rushed to me.

Just now, watermelen671 said:

Which is why there are so many lead-based incidents in the US. :wilson_sneaky:

Yeah, I even read a theory about possible causation between lead-poisoning incident and high violent crime rates... But considering what other extreme situations my duplicants survive in the neverending quest to try and get past the early game, I wouldn't worry too much about a little lead in my germy water :)

9 minutes ago, Greybear said:

Yeah, I even read a theory about possible causation between lead-poisoning incident and high violent crime rates... But considering what other extreme situations my duplicants survive in the neverending quest to try and get past the early game, I wouldn't worry too much about a little lead in my germy water :)

inb4 lead poisoning causes them to become even more stupid than one would've ever thought possible. :wilson_ecstatic:

9 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

inb4 lead poisoning causes them to become even more stupid than one would've ever thought possible. :wilson_ecstatic:

Lead poisoning causes people to become more aggressive. The test branch added lead as a new metal. The forum has been plagued by flame wars ever since the test branch came out. Did the test branch poison the forum users? :o

Archived