Sign in to follow this  
lardi

Bug: Too dark nights

lardi    45

Since the last Build (The one that you can build where you want) i have been having some really dark nights, i cant see

anithing! Its all pitch black! Even with a campfire! Before i could see my chests wich are a little near, now i cant see them! Is anyone else finding that the night is really REALLY dark? It might have bugged since the last build :confused:.

Jov    11

I thought this was a problem with the Steam version/full-screen/higher-resolution; guess not. Same problem here.

Excess    53

Apparently, the bugged version was Chromes. The night where ALWAYS supposed to be this dark.

I, personally, find Steam's complete darkness way too oppressing and it renders the nights boring, because you can't "venture into the darkness" and do stuff. It's made nights boring.

Toaster Fu    101

Same here, I use night time to cook and replant farms, put stuff in the science machine, Ect. Now I just add wood to the fire…

Shadoweangel    12

Please kind sirs, take my ten cents: The two gentlemen above me are scholars and beloved colleagues, and therefore already voiced my opinion. I felt fear enough even with a corona of additional light. Now I just find nighttime boring.

Kevin    879

Wait - so on chrome, without a light, you guys have been able to run a screen or so away form your light, and still see what you are doing?

It is supposed to be completely dark when there is no light. Some numbers got tweaked before our unscheduled steam-push-related release last week that made the fire radius smaller and less gradual before, but it has always been pitch black far enough away... right?

Anyway, this is why we usually have a week in staging before a release. We had to sycnh everything this time and release some work in progress stuff early because of what we were doing for steam.

Hence - bugs! :)

Toaster Fu    101

Edit: misread what you said. It has always been pitch black away from fires. What's defferent is that the radius of light fires give off is super small, making it impossible to do anything at night.

Edited by Toaster Fu

Excess    53
Wait - so on chrome, without a light, you guys have been able to run a screen or so away form your light, and still see what you are doing?

Barely, but just enough to have some minimal interaction with the environment and do chores like Fu said; farming, cooking, tidying the camp a little bit, etc.

Now it's plain boring. Check this screenys:

Chrome

T2Ad4.png

Steam

hajB1.png

On Chrome, if you were chopping wood and night came, you could make a fire and collect far away logs laying on the ground, because if you new where to look, you could see them. On Steam, you have to hover your mouse all over the screen waiting for the items "white ghost" to appear, and it's kind of annoying.

I think that by making the nights pitch black, you are compromising a lot of playability just for the sake of atmosphear. It's a huge loss for only a little gain. The games atmosphear is already superb, there's no need to render nights useless just to push the creeppyness it a little bit more.

Kevin    879

Err, excess - the ground is completely black outside the light in both of those screenshots. The falloff on Chrome is a bit bigger (which we can change), but over by, say, the map icon I can't see anything on either screenshot.

Or is my monitor configured very differently than yours? :)

Shadoweangel    12

The falloff for the light is I think the major problem people are discussing. It's always been pitch black when I strayed too far from the fire, but the light slowly dimmed the further out it got until it faded to black. Now it just goes to black without the small buffer zone.

Edited by Shadoweangel
Spelling Issue

Excess    53
Or is my monitor configured very differently than yours? :)

I think you found your bug right there :D

Do you see a flower just above the map icon on Chromes screenshot? If you don't, you have your monitor configured way dark...

...and we all inadvertently have been playing the game in a way it wasn't intended too :D

But again, barely seeing at night is WAY more fun than just sitting by the fire waiting for the sun to rise.

lardi    45

If the nights are going to be as black as this, might aswell make the Straw Bedroll all nights, Even though i need alot of grass, i cant work with this illumination, it doesnt feel realistic at all.

JoeW    25,567

I just checked this out and I see what you guys are talking about.

It is quite different.

cptCalavera    616

Watch these videos. Easier to see in motion and same area of the map.

See how he is able to mine the stones on the first one but not on the second. Also it looks a lot more artificial with the distinct border.

Sign in to follow this