Launch Upgrade Now Open for Testing! [346893]

32 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:
  • Conveyor loaders will dispense items in a round-robin manner, to ensure they dispense all materials they contain and not just the first one.
    • I'm not entirely sure what this means yet.

Most likely it means the same as what they have modified to the solid dispenser component to do the same as the gas/liquid dispenser component. Say you have a gas reservoir with oxygen, CO2 and chlorine. It will shift between those and release "O, CO2, Cl, O, CO2, Cl" etc. Conveyor loaders would output the first on the list each time meaning it would first take all iron, then move on to all copper, then... you get the idea.

Edited by Nightinggale
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, melquiades said:

"Wheezewort is no longer a decor plant and requires fertilizer. "

Yikes,... no longer you could build, seal and forget about it.

I complained about this above, however I did not notice the not about seeds self-planting after a certain amount of time. If we are able to create dirt tiles where we want wheezes we can let them plant naturally and not need to maintain them. Does anyone know if it is possible to place a dirt block?

36 minutes ago, Rebrait said:

Seeds self-plant after sitting on the ground a certain amount of time.

As someone who often tries to build an "arboretum" in my colony, this is fantastic news!  Doubly so now that there are actual Park rooms.  This update just keeps getting better and better.

Different maps are awesome, but Parks are so cool I can't find words to express that (: I was always keeping wild areas around, it's so nice to have this as a feature.

Adding wild critters to the nature reserve would be great too, if there were a way to set egg-related buildings to domesticated eggs only.

• Like 1

@Ipsquiggle Please consider allowing us to deconstruct all items in a ruin (or none at all) for the launch. It feels broken and silly that only some items are deconstructable and you end up with floating tables and doors you can't deconstruct. It's been posted a lot of times on the forums and I was really hoping it would be fix before the final launch. Thank you!

Some examples of posts and people complaining about this issue:

• Like 1

"Wheezewort is no longer a decor plant and requires fertilizer. "

A huge bummer and will force many essential base redesigns. But...

Seeds self-plant after sitting on the ground a certain amount of time.

Hooooooly smokes. Wild plants are currently free so this opens up huge options for renewable EVERYTHING. Even the wheezewort nerf isn't a huge setback, because you can replant it in ice so it doesn't need fertilizer anymore.

This also opens up options for vole labor, which is HUGE. Raise voles and take advantage of their ability to rebuild tiles. I hope we can get vole lures or some way to tame voles to rebuild map tiles in a desired spot.

• Ice Maker now deletes 20% of the heat from water instead of almost all of it.

This change was sorely needed. Ice makers were more powerful than AETNs, and the rare spawns were supposed to be special relics. It'd be nice to see more types of special map features like the AETN.

Many of the other changes look like good QOL stuff and new mechanics for players to enjoy. Keep it up!

Just now, bobucles said:

Hooooooly smokes. Wild plants are currently free so this opens up huge options for renewable EVERYTHING. Even the wheezewort nerf isn't a huge setback, because you can replant it in ice so it doesn't need fertilizer anymore.

wild Wheezewort works at 25% efficiency, so it's not really wort to keep it wild.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Deustodo said:

wild Wheezewort works at 25% efficiency, so it's not really wort to keep it wild.

Agreed.  Wheezes were already rather restrained at a meager 12 kW of cooling.... excuse me, 12 kDTU… if bathed in pure hydrogen.  Doing all that work for a mere 3 kDTU / wort seems miniscule.  Sure, it'll keep the entire ice biome from imploding when you open the door, but it's been significantly reduced as an alternative to major industrial level cooling systems.

Perhaps that's the point.

15 minutes ago, Deustodo said:

Is that part of the new package? Sounds like cooling is going to be a lot more difficult across the board. At least until steam turbines. I may have to send dupes permanently off world to start farming more worts.

I hope planet respawning is more dependent on your astronauts having high skills, rather than just a clock. It gives more value to high morale, allows player choice on resources, and may add value to the sight seeing pod to send large dupe teams as well.

I'd really love to see the pod printer time reduced by 5-20 seconds. I like to check it out at the beginning of a cycle, but no matter how fast I tag the printer the next refresh time keeps drifting down the line. It's a difference of 1% for a little personal QOL.

33 minutes ago, bobucles said:

Hooooooly smokes. Wild plants are currently free so this opens up huge options for renewable EVERYTHING.

So if I understand correctly you can just drop a seed on a natural tile and it starts to grow as a wild plant?? If the seed drop rate is unchanged, that would be way waaay to op. I don't see any reason to farm ever again apart from pincha peppernuts. Food, dirt and reed fibre would become free resources. Even CO2 to 02 conversion would become trivial with the new plant.

I wonder how the new wheezewort will turn out. Maybe it will be horrible and Klei has to change it. Maybe we adapt and maybe new players won't really use it while experienced players will prefer some wheezewort restoration mod. For the time being, I say we should accept the Klei balance. The biggest problem with modding isn't to make the mod, but rather that it kind of breaks the idea with the public testing. Klei needs feedback from unmodded games.

The only real reason to play around with mods in the preview branch is for mod creators to give feedback on the new modding tools.

• Like 1

I couldn't wait for this update, I'm not disappointed ! The new content is great, but having those asteroid types to choose will greatly improve the replayability, well done, thank you so much for keeping the game interesting even so close to release !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this taste of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

:D

I'm guessing this probably refers to the last bits of the plot content rather than anything mechanical due to well..testing.  But either way it's nice to know that even with all this awesomeness there's still a surprise or two waiting :)

• Like 1

any information about late game  lag issues?    (whatever the previous guy said.) :)     just noticed somebody posted same thing on my mind.

don't get me wrong. im excited about the reveals!! and new stuff!!

Edited by RonEmpire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

Conveyor loaders will dispense items in a round-robin manner, to ensure they dispense all materials they contain and not just the first one. I don't know what it means

Say the conveyor loader has three types of raw mineral. It first drops one type, then the second, and then the third one, instead of outputting the first one until it runs out it.

Edited by Tobruk

2 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Say the conveyor loader has three types of raw mineral. It first drops one type, then the second, and then the third one, instead of outputting the first one until it runs out it.

The thread is already getting too long. Questions are answered more than once :?

• Like 1