Sasuga

Server OPTION to limit one of each character.

Viktor234    2,375
On 23.6.2019 at 10:13 PM, Sasuga said:

I'd like the OPTION to require people joining the server to pick characters that haven't been picked by others currently on the server. I know clothing is t here to distinguish players, etc. Its not about that. Its so that we don't have six copies of the same character, its just not my bag. And if people don't want that kind of server, join one that's 'standard' without that option.

Thanks!

What if you pick a character, disconnect after a time, and another character picks the character you picked before?
Does that mean:

1. Duplicates are allowed if the one who picked that character leaves and rejoins?
  2. You're not allowed to join not until the one who picked your character leaves?
  3. Once you rejoin, you'll be forced to pick another character and start from the spawn?
  4. The whole game is limited to 12/14 players and once the last one joins, nobody will be able to join anymore?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warbucks    2,820
On 6/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, Viktor234 said:

What if you pick a character, disconnect after a time, and another character picks the character you picked before?
Does that mean:

1. Duplicates are allowed if the one who picked that character leaves and rejoins?
  2. You're not allowed to join not until the one who picked your character leaves?
  3. Once you rejoin, you'll be forced to pick another character and start from the spawn?
  4. The whole game is limited to 12/14 players and once the last one joins, nobody will be able to join anymore?

If the character was picked by someone then said player logged off then I think it would be okay if another player picked that character and overrided the previous person being that character.

I just think if somone joined the server when they were a character which now somebody else is playing as they should be despawned to the character select screen and be able to pick another character, but they don't have to  start all over and will have all the previous items, map knowledge, crafting recipes unlocked, as they originally did.

I think that would be acceptable, I mean by default DST servers have a max player size of 6 and most servers don't go over 4+ players.

This option would be cool mostly for friends playing with each other probably :)

Sasuga    96

1. I thought of this, and sure.

2. Just force a repick.

3. Keep items or start-over whatever.

4. Sure, it'd be limited to the number of characters that exist. Someone creating a server with this option would be aware of that on some level, it's the cost of choosing the OPTION. :)

On 6/25/2019 at 4:13 AM, CameoAppearance said:

If it was a worldgen switch that was turned off by default, that sounds good to me.

It's an option. Heck, it could probably be an option that could be changed (Some options, like passwords and such can be changed by reloading the server already. Also, there's ways of changing characters with the command console, so at worst this option could probably be changed on and off by command console.)

• Like 1

Perogies    0

Excuse me, so let's say you and your friend both wants to play maxwell, who gets to play?Whats makes you think that you are superior than others and only you decide to play what you wants to play?

• Confused 1

SinancoTheBest    920
8 hours ago, Perogies said:

Excuse me, so let's say you and your friend both wants to play maxwell, who gets to play?Whats makes you think that you are superior than others and only you decide to play what you wants to play?

He's the host, he gets to decide which rules apply in the server. Just as how hosts decide how many players there'll be, what mods will be used and the worldgen settings, why not player regulations too?

I'm always quite triggered when someone picks a character already in the server; we now have 15 characters, just pick a different one, gawd...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Perogies said:

I assume if this setting was on it'd be first come first served, like in other games that disallow duplicate player characters. I suppose you could work it out with your friend in advance through means such as friendly negotiation and/or duelling, however.

Come to think of it, since there's already a mod to prevent people from playing certain characters at all (Disable Characters), it's probably possible to code one that does this. You could have a soft-limit configuration that removes the character from the character selection screen when they're already in use but doesn't force a repick if someone returns to the server and another player's picked the same character they did, and a hard-limit version that does force a repick (and that itself could be toggled between repicking the player with the lower daycount and repicking the player who more recently arrived, ideally). I'm not sure if it would be possible for a mod to keep track of every character that had ever been played in the server and stop any player other than the original from being them, but I suppose that'd be the ultra-hard-challenge-mode version if it could be made to work.

Perogies    0
8 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

He's the host, he gets to decide which rules apply in the server. Just as how hosts decide how many players there'll be, what mods will be used and the worldgen settings, why not player regulations too?

I'm always quite triggered when someone picks a character already in the server; we now have 15 characters, just pick a different one, gawd...

Yes, that's exactly the problem, only the host get to decide what he/she picks. If you cannot see how selfish that is i don't know what to tell you. If my friend ever tell me to not pick a character because he/she wants to, i know this person is a selfish ass and he/she will be unfriend, that's it.

Also this option only make sense when playing with stranger, because you can discuss with your friend before starting a game and decide what character to choose.

Why would you get triggered by someone else picking the same character as you, why can't you change YOUR character and pick something no one else wants to play? Why you wants to pick meta character and when others do it, it "trigger" you?

SinancoTheBest    920
3 hours ago, Perogies said:

Yes, that's exactly the problem, only the host get to decide what he/she picks. If you cannot see how selfish that is i don't know what to tell you. If my friend ever tell me to not pick a character because he/she wants to, i know this person is a selfish ass and he/she will be unfriend, that's it.

Also this option only make sense when playing with stranger, because you can discuss with your friend before starting a game and decide what character to choose.

Why would you get triggered by someone else picking the same character as you, why can't you change YOUR character and pick something no one else wants to play? Why you wants to pick meta character and when others do it, it "trigger" you?

Lol, where did you assume my character choice, I always pick a character not in the server. But people constantly pick multiple Webbers, Wickerbottoms, Maxwels, Wigfrits...

I don't understand your logic, how is it any more 'dictating' than forcing the Global Positions/stat showing mods on other players, or forcing them to play with lots of clockwors in the server/longer Autumns, no caves etc. All of these are server costumization options, just like max 1 character may be, that can be switched on at the will of the host. It's a good idea that'll create variety if the host likes it, instead of all meta & popular characters in servers.

• Like 2

Perogies    0
33 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Lol, where did you assume my character choice, I always pick a character not in the server. But people constantly pick multiple Webbers, Wickerbottoms, Maxwels, Wigfrits...

I don't understand your logic, how is it any more 'dictating' than forcing the Global Positions/stat showing mods on other players, or forcing them to play with lots of clockwors in the server/longer Autumns, no caves etc. All of these are server costumization options, just like max 1 character may be, that can be switched on at the will of the host. It's a good idea that'll create variety if the host likes it, instead of all meta & popular characters in servers.

I played mostly in public server and from what i saw the only character that doesn't really get pick is woodie and wes, so you only play these 2, ya? People who play wes is either expert that wants some challenge or total noob that doesn't know what they are doing.

And, please don't try to change the subject by mentioning mods, mods is done by the community, not klei.

The thing is, other people playing their favorite character doesn't harm you in any, single way, yet you are so concern about only your own personal pleasure to not get "triggered".

Let's get back to the topic, let's say this option exist, what would it do? As i said it only make sense in public game to limit what stranger can pick, since you can discuss with your friends before starting a game. For people that DO agree with you and NEVER pick a same character in the server, the option doesn't do anything, for people that just wants to play the game they probably won't even join. This is the result you wants to achieve, right? Guess what, as a host, you can already kick people that pick duplicate character, good luck finding people to play with you though.

• Confused 1

SinancoTheBest    920
2 hours ago, Perogies said:

I played mostly in public server and from what i saw the only character that doesn't really get pick is woodie and wes, so you only play these 2, ya? People who play wes is either expert that wants some challenge or total noob that doesn't know what they are doing.

And, please don't try to change the subject by mentioning mods, mods is done by the community, not klei.

The thing is, other people playing their favorite character doesn't harm you in any, single way, yet you are so concern about only your own personal pleasure to not get "triggered".

Let's get back to the topic, let's say this option exist, what would it do? As i said it only make sense in public game to limit what stranger can pick, since you can discuss with your friends before starting a game. For people that DO agree with you and NEVER pick a same character in the server, the option doesn't do anything, for people that just wants to play the game they probably won't even join. This is the result you wants to achieve, right? Guess what, as a host, you can already kick people that pick duplicate character, good luck finding people to play with you though.

It's not just about personal pleasure, it's to increase the character variety in the server. "People who just want to play the game" would then pick another character. Sure someone who ONLY EVER PLAYS Wickerbottom may leave if she can't pick her but if he likes Wicker and Wendy he'll pick Wendy, there are as many character-flexible people as there are rigid people. This option discourages people from taking characters whose abilities are already the server and encourages them to take different characters, which isn't any more 'dictation' by the host than editing other server settings [and mods but I'll ommit them since you don't want to acknowledge those].

And stop assuming it'll have no use when playing with friends, hardly anyone makes prior planning and discussions on who takes who. You can also switch this setting on to prevent repetition of characters eith friends- it'll be all the more useful if you're playing with friends on an open server so newcomers can pick different characters too.

Why would you kick players to enforce this, it is not at all the same thing. In my opinion a new player is always welcome. But it's much better if she picks a character not in the server and such a setting option would help to those who agree with me.

• Like 2

hyiltiz    266

You can just tell them not do pick those characters, and if they do not agree or accidentally picked already, the server admin can help reset their character. Or just moon magic away.

Dr. Safety    1,762

I don't think it is necessary. If I'm playing to see how long I can go with the best team synergy possible, I'm in a private server with some friends all of which discussed who will be what character and fill what role. If I'm playing just because I want to play as Warly and don't really care what the team needs, I'm joining a public server. 

While I think that characters should never automatically have a limit, perhaps a good way to implement something like that would be making the server playstyle actually matter. For instance:

• Social: Just that, play whoever. No one has an emotional stake in the server or map. Good for just playing characters you like and trying out some stuff with them/meeting people. No character restrictions.
  • Cooperative: More for longevity. This is for players who are willing to play any character based on what the team needs. Character limit is recommended, but not absolutely necessary (so you don't have 3 Wendys and 4 Warlys)
  • Competitive: Generally PVP enabled. If you aren't in a team with good synergy, other "factions" will let you know, hunger games style. No character restrictions
  • Madness: No real rules. Anything goes. No character restrictions