Pleeeeease make lazy forager and explorer refuel with nightmare fuel!

Many people can agree these item would be much better and more fun if you can refuel them with nightmare fuel. Even if one poof for explorer and some durability for forager. Picking up items on ground gets long and boring and tedious forager can make it lots more fun! And telepoofing around stupid worls gen especially in caves would save so much time! Please add this next update!

Especially now since you can't cheese the fuelweaver by making its bones not spawn by standing at the edge of the land, I think this would be interesting if maybe they used something different than nightmare fuel.

The explorer I do not agree, since it would turn the lategame meta with everyone teleporting around all the time instead of walking, given how easy is to mass stack fuel, and also making wortox much less unique (If anyone is old enough to remember its basically the design error of the enigma armor in diablo 2).

If you need to jump a few gaps once and then, then the natural charges of the lazy explorer are more than enough. When its about to die you can also recycle the cane out of it to make a new one.

The forager however, I agree with OP as a needed change, since its not an item that would alter the balance of the game, but would instead turn annoying tasks much more enjoyable. Furthermore It would give everyone an affordable way to pick up stuff at the ocean when sailing (specially when cleaning rot), and when picking up stuff that you kill when beefalo riding.

Even if it's not refuelable, I'd kind of like it if the lazy explorer could still function as a regular walking can after all it's teleports have been used. A little momento of all the times you squandered it's potential as well as the one time it was used wisely. :wilson_blush:

mmmmm, the lazy explorer? nah, i think thulecite/orange gems would be better to repair that, the forager? absolutely, its criminally underused as is, and a way to refuel would likely up its usefulness

13 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

Even if it's not refuelable, I'd kind of like it if the lazy explorer could still function as a regular walking can after all it's teleports have been used. 

This sounds like a good Idea, that instead of breaking and just dissapearing, it would remain as a "broken lazy explorer" which is, utility-wise, the same as a walking cane.

And I was thinking that maybe a broken lazy explorer can possibly be "repaired" at an ancient pseudoscience station by adding it one more orange gem and some fuel, for another 20 uses.

This basically does a few things:

- If you missclick teleport (which happens a lot) it wont dissapear by mistake, and leave you stranded slow at some weird place.

- You no longer need to use a decon staff to pull out a cane out of it when its at 5%

- You no longer need to use a construction amulet to craft again the lazy explorer for just one orange gem.

- You still give a fair use to the orange gems so they don't stockpile, allowing you to teleport more often, without making everyone just keep jumping around like wortox.

- You still need to go to the pseudoscience station to recover the magic of it.

in evry of my world i had tons of walrus task and orange gems. its nice balanced. if they make them refuellable it would break the game and make orange gems useless. that would make looting ruins and killing walrus after first winter useless

Personally I'd be fine with all gem-based tools/amulets being refuelable with Nightmare Fuel. Two reasons. First being consistency. Second...if you went to the ruins once to get the supplies and craft the items, you can do it a second time.

Well, there's another slight reason. This game has shifted.
 - It's easy to get tons of more Nightmare Fuel than you can use.
 - Increasing mobility; we now have a character that can telepoof to their heart's content from the moment they first spawn.
 - On that note, this wouldn't be the first time that basic character-specific perks are obtainable elsewhere in-game; Scailmail exists.
 - Winona can use the gems to power neat machines which I still think she needs a wider variety of. It's a brand new power system...with two devices.
 - The lore is accelerating on Magical themes; having this stuff be used more commonly isn't necessarily a bad thing.
 - Orange gems have an extra use, ie Lazy Deserter networks. Having more gems available would encourage their use.

On 19/06/2019 at 3:23 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

I feel like they both just need a lot more durability. If they could be refueled then orange gems lose a lot of their value as you would only ever need to craft them once per person.

May be but not if people lose it and it is not big loss if some new player takes one. Like how having tripple mctusk mean you can later hand out canes left and right. It also means more orange gem for Lazy Deserter network can be set up faster and broader. Rare item being lost and not being that big deal is win in my book!

On 19/06/2019 at 2:57 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

The explorer I do not agree, since it would turn the lategame meta with everyone teleporting around all the time instead of walking, given how easy is to mass stack fuel, and also making wortox much less unique (If anyone is old enough to remember its basically the design error of the enigma armor in diablo 2).

15 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

- On that note, this wouldn't be the first time that basic character-specific perks are obtainable elsewhere in-game; Scailmail exists.

It would only mean Wortox can teleport around from start. On top, souls easier to get than nightmare fuel actually and I don't see Wortoxes teleporting around all the time, just sometimes, so nightmare fuel repair one poof would make it may be even x2 less than Wortox teleporting. But may be the same as soul used for food and healing too, healing even more. But getting past stupid gaps is always a win I think as it saves lots of time for you from your character just running around in circle to get to a destination, which is boring.

11 hours ago, Bird Up said:

One man band should be refueled by nightmare fuel as well. Sewing kit obviously doesn't work on it, and the durability drains stupidly fast so that it lasts only 180 seconds before breaking.

maybe... but One Man Band needs a rework too.... 

This is what I would like you could do with it

Serenata1.png.d44752406f381ea8c7d9a639d6e019c0.png

What if the lazy explorer returned to a normal cane once expired instead. I personally find it harsh having to wait for the right time of year to get a new tusk. Years in the game is a lot of real hours to wait for.

Gems on the other hand you can take action into your own hands and access at any time can't you?

20 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This sounds like a good Idea, that instead of breaking and just dissapearing, it would remain as a "broken lazy explorer" which is, utility-wise, the same as a walking cane.

And I was thinking that maybe a broken lazy explorer can possibly be "repaired" at an ancient pseudoscience station by adding it one more orange gem and some fuel, for another 20 uses.

This basically does a few things:

- If you missclick teleport (which happens a lot) it wont dissapear by mistake, and leave you stranded slow at some weird place.

- You no longer need to use a decon staff to pull out a cane out of it when its at 5%

- You no longer need to use a construction amulet to craft again the lazy explorer for just one orange gem.

- You still give a fair use to the orange gems so they don't stockpile, allowing you to teleport more often, without making everyone just keep jumping around like wortox.

- You still need to go to the pseudoscience station to recover the magic of it.

I actually like this breakdown as well. I agree with the not breaking entirely thing and just reverting to a lower tier tool. Whether it can be repaired in some fashion or not is entirely up to "how can this be balanced" and this appears to do that while not making it too simple/easy.  Most things can be repaired that disappear on 0% and most of the "rare" higher tier items like Tam, Eyebrella, Magi, I believe bone armor, and others I can't think of at the moment can also be repaired in some form, why not the cane.

As for the forager, I am a scrub and never really use it so can't form a legitimate opinion.  But it comes back to other things can be repaired, so why not?

I definitely agree with OP on that the Lazy Forager should be refuelable with nightmare fuel.

The Lazy Explorer, however, would be a little too good if it was refueled with only nightmare fuel... Maybe repairing it with orange gems would be a better option.

But still, please make the lazy forager refuelable

5 hours ago, Charsis said:

It would only mean Wortox can teleport around from start. On top, souls easier to get than nightmare fuel actually and I don't see Wortoxes teleporting around all the time, just sometimes, so nightmare fuel repair one poof would make it may be even x2 less than Wortox teleporting. But may be the same as soul used for food and healing too, healing even more. But getting past stupid gaps is always a win I think as it saves lots of time for you from your character just running around in circle to get to a destination, which is boring.

I disagree, it is true that souls do come easier in the early game as wortox but you have a hard limit of 20, whereas dark fuel becomes very easy to mass stack as soon as you pass the early game, and has no limit on the amount you could have on you. It would basically render wortox useless past the first 1 hour of gameplay. Any other character could teleport more often AND keep his/her own unique perks. His healing skill is good but not really gamechanging enough to pick him just for it, and eating souls is to compensate a bit his hunger problem.

You still can get pass those gaps by just using the telepoof as it stands, making it "too easy" to refuel would sort of break the gameplay for everyone, as it would quickly become the main meta: everyone would rush lazy explorers as soon as first winter hits, then nobody would walk anymore. Late joiners would just beg for their lazy explorers to be on par of everyone else, etc. I guess its fine for a modded server if you want to go that route, yknow have some fun with everyone teleporting, I'd even play for the lulz, but I wouldnt like that in a vanilla server.

Like I said in an earlier post, we can sort of make the lazy explorer a bit cheaper and more reliable, by not letting it break when its out of charges, and so we can restore them by just adding one orange gem instead of the 2 that takes to make a new one. If you clear the ruins often, kill tusks every once and then, and kill dfly often you will have many more orange gems and canes that you can possibly use, with this change you will still consume orange gems and canes basically, and still be able to use them often albeit not all the time.

EG: make 4 lazy explorers for each player in the server, use them at will jumping gaps and escaping when needed, and once all are depleted, its the time of the year to visit the ruins and restore all of them at just 1 orange gem and some fuel each. That's 80 jumps a year at the mere cost of 4 orange gems. I say its a pretty fair deal. Currently you can do this exact same strat too, but its way more costly.

And If a player wants to base her/his playstyle on teleporting all the time, then they have to go wortox (and purchase him suporting the game, wink wink), keeping wortox and his unique niche playstyle special.

@ShadowDuelist completely disagree, nobody ever seen farming nightmare fuel to point where you can each have 5 stacks. It would take eternity to farm it I know from experience. At best each player has half stack up to stack and you waste it on dark swords too, so it ought to be balanced. Try have mod that refuel lazy explorer with one poof for one nm fuel or something and make server public endless, play with your friends and whatnot, try proove me wrong.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:44 PM, Electroely said:

I definitely agree with OP on that the Lazy Forager should be refuelable with nightmare fuel.

The Lazy Explorer, however, would be a little too good if it was refueled with only nightmare fuel... Maybe repairing it with orange gems would be a better option.

But still, please make the lazy forager refuelable

Or add a machine in Structure tab that only Wiona can operate and require 1 orange gem to make both Explorer and Forager 100% durability. Both still could able to break if you do not repair on time. Save you time to go to Ruin.

12 hours ago, Charsis said:

@ShadowDuelistcompletely disagree, nobody ever seen farming nightmare fuel to point where you can each have 5 stacks. It would take eternity to farm it I know from experience. At best each player has half stack up to stack and you waste it on dark swords too, so it ought to be balanced. Try have mod that refuel lazy explorer with one poof for one nm fuel or something and make server public endless, play with your friends and whatnot, try proove me wrong.

Oh man... Well this is wrong. Splumonkey auto farm produces stacks and stacks. 

Legit, Maxy can stay perma-insane with shadow copies, and Werebeaver's pretty good at staying crazy too
Regardless though, once you have a fuel, any character can keep their sanity draining by equipping a Dark Sword and Night Armor. You can even switch to other weapons for the actual fighting if Living Logs are an issue.

Archived