Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

About this idea...  

66 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you think?

    • It's great
      13
    • NO, NO, NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
      26
    • Should have better way to achieve this goal
      16
    • I'm lazy to read, is there a short version? with better grammer to explain
      11


Recommended Posts

gghhrr    148

I notice that the current longest run server has ended its glorious days

pretty sad not yet having a chance to participate( maybe in future )

 

Argument

trapping portal would be have a little more protection against griefers ( although not 100% )

but also losing potential players at the same time

( that is pain more than gain )

 

I hope if Klei’s server could have at least one or exactly one reputation based server in most regions

 

How it works?

  1. set reputation requirement for that server ( should be around 10~25, not too high, or too low )

  2. whose reputation is under that requirement wouldn’t be able to join

 

What is reputation?

the impression from other players on you

player can give exactly one Positive/Negative impression to each player

Reputation = Positive - Negative

 

How to implement this in user interface?

IN-GAME:

1. design this as a button in menu where you can find players’ custom, details information

2. show the Positive/Negative impression if you gave to that player in the past

Not-IN-GAME: 

show some logs about the impression you gave to players recently ( nice for able to change the impression if wrongly select)

 

Main points ( IMO )

1. this won't be pernament effect like banned from server

2. encourge people who want to have positive gameplay experience, result in more positive behaviours

3. bad reputation won't affect too much, ( banning a player from playing paid game is boring )

    there are more and more "free to join" servers you may join aside from this only one reputation based server

4. positive reputation takes time to farm, ensure players to have experience

5. if griefers buy another DST copy and create new account to gain reputation, who cares? Klei get more funds, We get more events! Thanks ya Griefers!

 

Reasons Why I'm suggesting this

1. I enjoy playing with positive players most of the time, I believe I'm not the only one

2. Love having longer run as a challenge in Dedicated server which is survival mode

3. kidnap a server isn't thing I want to do, I will never do that

 

A little of my experience

I was one of griefers in the past, DST was in early access, why am I griefing at that time?

well because DST is new to me, it is strange and fun to do when first comes to me

( e.g. trying slaught all the beefalo, or just completely remove one unique resource from game by bare hands)

 

after having some experience, tryin cooperate with others and building a friendly base, maintaining friendly game for next players

I feel like it is challenging and more fun in that way, then entirely quit my griefing life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain_Rage    1,032

"Griefing" and "positive gameplay experience" are completely subjective terms, even if you can argue that some consensus exists. Although it would surely be possible to implement a system where players can upvote / downvote others players or assign them some other metric it still wouldn't solve the underlying problem (different players have different ideas about the game) and would just take heaps of development resources. It's better to stick with playing with people you've come across and are familiar with on non-public servers for a worry-free experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Viktor234    2,240

Players be like:

"Weres bae?" "Weres Bae?!?" "WERES BAE?!?!?!" "*** U ALL!!!!!!"

* -1 Reputation for everyone *

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Melody099    144

This could damage new, casual or inexperienced (or in my case, just plain dumb) players in my opinion(also griefers would have the right to "upvote" or "downvote" too...), I think this system is too subjective (Also, even thought you cannot enter just a few servers with no/almost negative reputation you are still denied access even if you don't want to do anything bad....) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    4,830

I think this is black mirror "Nosedive" all over again and we all know how that ended .... 

No ty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trinket_4    560
17 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think this is black mirror "Nosedive" all over again and we all know how that ended .... 

No ty

5 stars for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
__IvoCZE__    5,693

it should be related to the reputationn on forums *spineless noise*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ornge    272

It sound like a good idea, but could probably be heavily abused. People might give you -1 for dumb reasons like not liking who your playing as. This could even lead to giving -1 to players simply for being new to the game.

Even if it was used correctly, one person's "nice  good player" is another's "Toxic noob playr"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Viktor234    2,240
23 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

it should be related to the reputationn on forums *spineless noise*

The reputation on the forum does not depend on whether you're a griefer or a good player. Many good players I know do not write anything in this forum, and to get a good reputation here: Just spam memes, be a developer and post the most recent news, or just complain alot about the game and have many other players on your back. While doing so you can also grief most games and still have a good reputation.

https://xkcd.com/325/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fimmatek    3,115
8 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

The reputation on the forum does not depend on whether you're a griefer or a good player. Many good players I know do not write anything in this forum, and to get a good reputation here: Just spam memes, be a developer and post the most recent news, or just complain alot about the game and have many other players on your back. While doing so you can also grief most games and still have a good reputation.

https://xkcd.com/325/

I'm 99% sure that IvoCZE was sarcastic.

We all know that the best solution would be if the reputation were based on the hours played, because clearly everyone with a 3-digit (or less) playtime is a noob and with your 1000th hour you turn into a pro.

Spoiler

Just to avoid confusion: I was sarcastic too ;P

Edit: just to share my honest and serious opinion, I'm somewhere between the "No, no, no" and "This could be done better" options. On theoretical level it would be nice to have a community based griefer-blocking system, but it would have several disadvantages:

  • could be exploited by both sides
  • could be hard and resourse-consuming to implement
  • could unnecessarily increase toxicity 
  • recovering from mistakes would be difficult

So yeah... I think the best is if you either accept the danger and risk when playing on public servers, or join moderated and/or friends-only or group servers. I know some great groups and their servers with the report systems offer a great playing experience without the need of a reputation system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    4,830
16 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I'm 99% sure that IvoCZE was sarcastic.

We all know that the best solution would be if the reputation were based on the hours played, because clearly everyone with a 3-digit (or less) playtime is a noob and with your 1000th hour you turn into a pro.

  Reveal hidden contents

Just to avoid confusion: I was sarcastic too ;P

Edit: just to share my honest and serious opinion, I'm somewhere between the "No, no, no" and "This could be done better" options. On theoretical level it would be nice to have a community based griefer-blocking system, but it would have several disadvantages:

  • could be exploited by both sides
  • could be hard and resourse-consuming to implement
  • could unnecessarily increase toxicity 
  • recovering from mistakes would be difficult

So yeah... I think the best is if you either accept the danger and risk when playing on public servers, or join moderated and/or friends-only or group servers. I know some great groups and their servers with the report systems offer a great playing experience without the need of a reputation system.

some people idle for skins--- I don't think hours played is helpful either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fimmatek    3,115
8 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

some people idle for skins--- I don't think hours played is helpful either

I tried to be as exaggerated as possible to make it clear that that part wasn't serious. I even wrote it right under it, just in case. I guess you missed both.

So, just in case, again: I also don't think that playtime would make up a good reputation system. Even without idling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0VERSUS1y    3,273

This seems to needlessly complicate matters (for Klei and players alike). Sadly griefers in all their forms will continue to exist (and imo persistent notorious ones like Clouds or Master should be banned on all their bot accounts yet such subject has already previously been touched upon and nothing came of it). Exploits as well. If you want a safer DST experience aside from personal servers go for community dedicated ones, actively moderated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troppok    148

The path to hell is paved in good intentions.

"Ranks" "status", just a bigger number. It all leads to elitism, or classism a super relevant form of toxicity seen all over in capitalism. You dont see the blatant racism of past generations, but Classism is a hateful prejudice of circumstances.

New players notoriously waste time, resources, and make dumb deaths, while long term players would flourish in this system. Even though given enough time we can all be equals and should be treated as such.

I embrace the chaos and will name my public world "Griefers, Noobs, and Wes Welcome"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GetNerfedOn    2,600
3 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

it should be related to the reputationn on forums *spineless noise*

so basically you meme a few memes in the meme thread, amass high rep and then bam, all your base are belong to us

no ty XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    56,729
10 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

"Weres bae?" "Weres Bae?!?" "WERES BAE?!?!?!" "*** U ALL!!!!!!"

Griefers are thirsty rappers looking for their girlfriends?:wilson_shocked:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maradyne    3,504

There are just too many differing standards for this to work.
Been playing the Starving Floor mod lately. First game as Mage Class, the Lightning ability goes haywire and breaks a single fence gate against a coastline that was being used by others to glitch outside the land border for free ranged attacks. Immediate 8-vote kick.

2 problems there:
 - New players who don't know what they're doing get judged to hell for it by this community. You can bet that those same people that instakick for accidents would be spamming negative rep whenever someone does something that they disagree with. Previous experience tells me that this would also manifest in mob mentality; there've been enough feuds on this forum that I have no doubt in the likelihood of people getting together and negative repping en-masse should the opportunity present itself. That isn't even to mention the old vote bot issue returning if such a juicy prospect came to light.
 - Exploits. There are reliable ways to get out of the land border and cheese everything in the game, not to mention the well-known and commonly abused issues with AI pathing, and anything else that I haven't bothered to follow. And people judge eachother for anything. You can bet your booty that there'll be negative rep points flying around for that sick bee queen strat.

Then there's miscommunication and overreaction. Spawned tentacles but I didn't see the 20 signs around the field? Negative rep to you! Spider nest a little too close to base that you moved after being asked to? Negative rep anyway, you dared to infringe upon my safety for a few minutes! Played Willow? EVERYONE IN THE GROUP REPORT THIS PLAYER TO KLEI PLES

 

...you get the point.
A system like that would worsen the current train-wreck significantly. It only sounds nice until you're on the receiving end of the pitchfork a few too many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 Da LOLs    2,158

yeah i changed my mind no reputation system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FeagleSnorf    380

This destroys the game for some people. A pvp server host might get a lil angry that someone killed him BAM Negative impression. Eventually it’d get to the point where someone is just shunned based on their reputation! It’s like turning the game into a social prison!

 

It’s kinda funny to think how Edgy Ricks experience would be though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Variant    4,154
2 hours ago, Averagewx78main said:

all it takes is a group of people who are looking to troll.

Snicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DARKMASTER1    0
On 18/6/2019 at 5:56 PM, x0VERSUS1y said:

This seems to needlessly complicate matters (for Klei and players alike). Sadly griefers in all their forms will continue to exist (and imo persistent notorious ones like Clouds or Master should be banned on all their bot accounts yet such subject has already previously been touched upon and nothing came of it). Exploits as well. If you want a safer DST experience aside from personal servers go for community dedicated ones, actively moderated.

m8 i litteraly stopped griefing for years now. i reflect on my actions and i know what a monster i was. give me a break. i know i taught clouds how to grief properly and im also sry about that...... 
btw i have no bot accounts. only clouds used those with multiple pcs. i only had 1 account and many friends to back me up. 
( PS: MASTER OF DARKNESS aka va_lian ) 
( also please dont punish the account va_lian it is the account of my brother not mine..... )
love and peace. bye 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DARKMASTER1    0
On 18/6/2019 at 1:57 PM, gghhrr said:

I notice that the current longest run server has ended its glorious days

pretty sad not yet having a chance to participate( maybe in future )

 

Argument

trapping portal would be have a little more protection against griefers ( although not 100% )

but also losing potential players at the same time

( that is pain more than gain )

 

I hope if Klei’s server could have at least one or exactly one reputation based server in most regions

 

How it works?

  1. set reputation requirement for that server ( should be around 10~25, not too high, or too low )

  2. whose reputation is under that requirement wouldn’t be able to join

 

What is reputation?

the impression from other players on you

player can give exactly one Positive/Negative impression to each player

Reputation = Positive - Negative

 

How to implement this in user interface?

IN-GAME:

1. design this as a button in menu where you can find players’ custom, details information

2. show the Positive/Negative impression if you gave to that player in the past

Not-IN-GAME: 

show some logs about the impression you gave to players recently ( nice for able to change the impression if wrongly select)

 

Main points ( IMO )

1. this won't be pernament effect like banned from server

2. encourge people who want to have positive gameplay experience, result in more positive behaviours

3. bad reputation won't affect too much, ( banning a player from playing paid game is boring )

    there are more and more "free to join" servers you may join aside from this only one reputation based server

4. positive reputation takes time to farm, ensure players to have experience

5. if griefers buy another DST copy and create new account to gain reputation, who cares? Klei get more funds, We get more events! Thanks ya Griefers!

 

Reasons Why I'm suggesting this

1. I enjoy playing with positive players most of the time, I believe I'm not the only one

2. Love having longer run as a challenge in Dedicated server which is survival mode

3. kidnap a server isn't thing I want to do, I will never do that

 

A little of my experience

I was one of griefers in the past, DST was in early access, why am I griefing at that time?

well because DST is new to me, it is strange and fun to do when first comes to me

( e.g. trying slaught all the beefalo, or just completely remove one unique resource from game by bare hands)

 

after having some experience, tryin cooperate with others and building a friendly base, maintaining friendly game for next players

I feel like it is challenging and more fun in that way, then entirely quit my griefing life

idea: a griefer should be banned for 48 hours from the server 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites