robo-miner setup for CO2 farm

In my latest colony i tried to capture CO2 from meteors. I tried a couple robo-miner setups but none of them work. The setup in the picture covers all the tiles but still lets meteors trough. Does anyone have a working build?

image.thumb.png.8dfc98b890732c8ec43f9f08716aeca8.png

Maybe the problem with your build was that it had corners? There's a bug where if a comet hits a corner some regolith appears on the other side.

1 hour ago, Hakon said:

but still lets meteors trough

@mathmanican thanks, that looks like a much better build than I have but it has the same problem as my build, regolith still acumulates on top of it.  How do you mine that regolith? I guess you can just leave the regolith but that would reduce CO2 production I think

@Tobruk Yes I was thinking the same thing, if that's true only horizontal surfaces could be used. I made something that works with bunker doors. the automation signal is the same i use for my solar setup.

image.thumb.png.e49b47681d4d6901614fba0887323ff0.png 

@Hakon how much CO2 on average can you pump out? A slickster told me to ask.

PS. Do you close the chamber during the time when no comets fall from the sky?

P.P.S Change these two mesh tiles into a non-permeable tile, for example glass tile. Your CO2 is leaking through it and there's no way to patch it up with a dry wall.

7 hours ago, Tobruk said:

P.P.S Change these two mesh tiles into a non-permeable tile, for example glass tile. Your CO2 is leaking through it and there's no way to patch it up with a dry wall.

Gases don't leak to space through mesh/airflow tiles.

10 hours ago, Tobruk said:

@Hakon how much CO2 on average can you pump out? A slickster told me to ask.

PS. Do you close the chamber during the time when no comets fall from the sky?

Initially I made a chamber with only 2 pumps. Later I build a chamber with 5 pumps. Both chambers have + 200 kg/tile CO2 in them, I think I can pull 3,5kg/s out of there but I have not tried it becaus I don't have enough slicksters yet to manage all that C02. Meteors make a lot of CO2, you can probably make as much as you can handle. With 3,5kg/s,1 petrolium generator can run non-stop. So that would be 750g/s pwater. Note that if you use pumps you will probably not generate power. (2000 - 7x240 - power for bunker doors ~ 0)

Yes i  close the chamber when no comets fall, In the beginning I did not and I couldn't even sustain 1kg/s. I I just use the automation from solar setup with a not-gate. You will have to power some bunker doors for that becaus even open mechanised doors take meteor damage and unpowered bunker doors are to slow.

Recently they made that mesh tiles and airflow tiles also act as background tiles. Open doors also count as background buildings.

image.thumb.png.d3a8aba7fc976c0907bd240dd01ccd51.png

38 minutes ago, Hakon said:

Initially I made a chamber with only 2 pumps. Later I build a chamber with 5 pumps. Both chambers have + 200 kg/tile CO2 in them, I think I can pull 3,5kg/s out of there but I have not tried it becaus I don't have enough slicksters yet to manage all that C02. Meteors make a lot of CO2, you can probably make as much as you can handle. With 3,5kg/s,1 petrolium generator can run non-stop. So that would be 750g/s pwater. Note that if you use pumps you will probably not generate power. (2000 - 7x240 - power for bunker doors ~ 0)

Yes i  close the chamber when no comets fall, In the beginning I did not and I couldn't even sustain 1kg/s. I I just use the automation from solar setup with a not-gate. You will have to power some bunker doors for that becaus even open mechanised doors take meteor damage and unpowered bunker doors are to slow.

Recently they made that mesh tiles and airflow tiles also act as background tiles. Open doors also count as background buildings.

Why won't you make another layer of bunker doors at the bottom and have slicksters there? You won't need to spent energy to power the pumps + you may have high enough temp to get molten slickters too.

5 hours ago, Tobruk said:

Why won't you make another layer of bunker doors at the bottom and have slicksters there? You won't need to spent energy to power the pumps + you may have high enough temp to get molten slickters too.

That is a really good idea, It is easily upscalable. That way you can probably produce much more, the gas pipes are a big bottleneck for my build. The regolith heats up the CO2(46,9°C) to about 200°C so that should be good for molten slicksters.

It's a good idea but it still has some problems that need to be solved. I think you still need something like a door pump. And if you have all bunker doors in a line, you can't pump in CO2 during the meteor shower. You would need to mine the regolith above the door pump or you would need to let the regolith fall trough the door pump. I don't know how that automation would work. 

The build that I used was the first that came to my mind and it's not that effective, I think i'll try some other build next time.

4 hours ago, Hakon said:

I think you still need something like a door pump. And if you have all bunker doors in a line, you can't pump in CO2 during the meteor shower.

You can still pump all the CO2 into the central room, as you do now, and then just use mesh tiles  under your gas pumps to feed CO2 to your slicksters.  No extra door pumps are needed beyond what you already have.

3 hours ago, cblack said:

I'm curious, what do you use all this CO2 for?  I usually delete (and I do mean delete, because its mass disappears) all of mine in a CO2 scrubber Carbon Skimmer.

He already said that it feeds slicksters - then you end up with oil or petroleum directly.

2 minutes ago, cblack said:

Ah, okay.  It just seems like a lot of effort to go through compared to using an oil well, unless you're extremely short of water.

You know how it goes - diversification of sources :D

On 18-6-2019 at 1:15 AM, mathmanican said:

You can still pump all the CO2 into the central room, as you do now, and then just use mesh tiles  under your gas pumps to feed CO2 to your slicksters.  No extra door pumps are needed beyond what you already have.

Oh yeah that could work.

15 hours ago, cblack said:

Ah, okay.  It just seems like a lot of effort to go through compared to using an oil well, unless you're extremely short of water.

I have only 2 cool steam vents for water so 750g/s would be a nice addition to my water supply. I agree that it is a lot of work to set up but once it's done it requires  no resources and no dupe labor (if you use wild or tame ungroomed slicksters). You just get water (and maybe some power) for free. 

Archived