food hunger values need a change since almost everyone don't think food is a problem

6 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

Hey, I've got an idea! How about if you keep eating the same food over and over again then the food loses hunger/health/sanity value? Like your character gets sick and tired of the same food? Just a thought......

They kinda did this to warly, and he suffered.

On 16.06.2019 at 6:05 PM, yisishoujo said:

An idea just came into my mind.

Food made at crock pot, its hunger value should be set to the lowest possible value of the sum of all its ingredients (in all possible recipes).

For example, meat ball will now give 12.5+2.3x3=19.4 hunger (1 morsel + 3 ice), meat stew gives 25+18.75+12.5x2=68.75.

To compensate, crock pot food should be at 100% freshness when cooked. And make farms cost less resources, like basic farm and improved farm cost half its price.

Also some crops should be given multiple when harvest, like one harvest gives 3 carrot.

To make this game even more challenging, you can't eat a food if current hunger + food hunger > max hunger * a multiplier.

Choose the multiplier so that a wolfgang can't eat pierogi when at full hunger.

I think everything about meal values as it should be. Because this game isn't Cooking Simulator . This game is a survival game and it would be ridiculous to expect anything more about the food.

20 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I'd love a hunger overhaul, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

My suggestion: losing more hunger when you do certain tasks (like fighting for example or carrying heave stuff). Maybe they also could add random events where you lose hunger fast or an event where certain food is spoling faster. Or characters could get ill so they only want to eat vegetables (dishes) until they are healthy again.

And maybe ice as filler should be reworked. Maybe add some soup recipes, so you get meat soup instead of meatballs for example (it could give you warmth in winter when eating it, but it gives less hunger). And how about stone soup? ;)

9 hours ago, Cpt. KatKit said:

Pubs usually survive until someone burns the base though.. I don't know what is all this talk about pubs dying before first winter. (Although they probably survive longer if someone is helping them instead of shouting NO ONE ENTERS MY BASE UNTIL THEY SURVIVE 50 YEARS)

In my experience, pubs usually die out during winter or spring. Most people have either died/left by then, and the few who are still left have (usually) been playing for a long time anyway. Unless you have an organized group to keep someone on the server at all times, the next person to join is likely to die and reset the world. 

Ways of balance of food from Crock Pot:
1) The resulting dish will restore the satiety for as much as the products included in its composition + 15% (or + 10% for therapeutic food).
Example - meatballs were used from monstromia, berries, red mushroom and green mushroom (everything is considered fried). Meatballs do not have pronounced therapeutic properties, so it turns out: (18.75 + 12.5 + 0 + 0) * 1.15 = 35.94.
Minus - the same dish can vary greatly in the amount of replenished satiety.
2) Each dish has a minimum number of calories required for its preparation.
Example - meatballs have a minimum calorie threshold of 40 units. We put in a cauldron products from the past example. This is less than required. It turns out another dish similar to the recipe, but having a smaller threshold, for example Kabobs.
Minus - it will be quite difficult to introduce a new characteristic for dishes.
But in any case, Crock Pot will remain a magic tool that allows you to turn harmful and dangerous products into something edible.

I just want different foods with affects outside of the usual hunger, sanity, and health. Like coffee. :^) Actually, if I remember correctly, my sisters and I were talking about the idea of having more foods that impact body temperature. Like having coffee give you a speed boost but raising your body temperate and iced coffee doing the same thing but lowering. Maybe we can have foods that strengthen you? Increase your defense for a period of time?

And on the topic of Warly, I just want to throw this out there. I am personally hoping that he has a perk that makes it so everything he cooks is nearly 100% freshness despite the low percentage of the ingredients and he just cooks faster. Kind of like Willow's perk with making fires burn longer when she adds fuel. That'd be neat for all the people who love cooking 40 things at a time.

I agree that we need a food overhaul, it's just that I'm not sure how to do it, maybe add a feature to act againts it... maybe buff the "disease"... dunno...

As food is more and more easy to have (especially now with wormwood).

Sidenote:

Spoiler

The disease is too easy if you catch it early. And because there is aways somebody in the camp it has never been a problem for me... I think it needs to be buffed.

Short story - about food.

Spoiler

Nowdays I play DST mainly with my wife and while she was learning the game I could get enough food for both of us and even save for winter (as I have a home rule: no ice in the cookpot(meatballs exploit)). Near the end of winter we remained with little food, but that was not a problem - the pengulls were gone and left tons of almost spoild eggs that you can cook, we had a spider nest near us + birdcage (and 2 more spider eggs in chest), and we could kill a buffalo or koalafant. After the first winter food was never a problem, as we had a camp with almsot everything in it.

TLDR: I had to find food for 2 people and we still had enough food to survive winter.

Sadly before a food overhaul we will need other systems to be reworked or/and expanded. For example:The sanity/insanity system, shadows atm are just there to be farmed for shadow fuel.

Lastly food is kinda balanced in the caves, thou not really, it's still easy if you get stuff from the surface.

Archived