[POLL] The Ocean's Visuals [UPDATED]

The Ocean has been changed!   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new ocean? (See Page 3)

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Which shore (island-to-sea-transition) would you like the game to have?

• I like them as they are.
    • Shipwrecked style.
    • Other (Reply Below)

3 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

That seems strange of you to say, considering you told others to do the same thing in your thread:

I'm sorry, I don't follow, what has this 

Nope, it's just a background filler to cover the void that shapes and separates the land masses, and yes, it is a coincidence that they went with a cut cardboard ocean as the filler texture, look at the darkness in the caves and the clouds in hamlet.. ask the devs, i'm pretty confident they will confirm this

to do with this

So now i actually need to provide proof for stating the obvious ?

You're asking for others to ask the developers to provide you with evidence of your claim:

2 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

ask the devs, i'm pretty confident they will confirm this

When Sinister Fang asked you to provide evidence of what you said:

3 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

So now i actually need to provide proof for stating the obvious ?

So what are you saying here? Others should provide you with evidence while you're absolved from doing so?

35 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

You're asking for others to ask the developers to provide you with evidence of your claim:

I didn't ask for any evidence for any claim, i just stated that her claim was wrong, and that she could ask the devs if she needs further confirmation, because i didn't have the mood to explain to her basic game development mechanics, and even if i did, it would of been pointless, because as it can be seen, i did provide such an explanation about that issue in this topic, and unfortunately nobody understood anything..

I'm done arguing, sorry for getting a little pissed, i have a bad temper lately 

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I like the Shipwrecked style ocean...IN SHIPWRECKED.  In the main canon regular DST, however...

I don't wanna lose the classic "cardboard cutout" waves entirely.  The old ocean fits the THEME of the world better!

that

I hope they atleast give us the option to keep the old ocean :?

1 hour ago, Deprecious said:

Yeah, according to the poll results and the posts around here, i am clearly the ONLY ONE to whom the new content seems off, right ?

And yes, i am the very first person to be concerned about the new content, because i am fully aware of the impact it will have upon the RoG world and mechanics

I never said you were the only person who dislikes the new content. I simply said you were the FIRST person on the FORUMS who seems to dislike this. And you even admit to this. All I'm saying is that your opinion is an unpopular one (and there's nothing wrong with that), and it seems unlikely the rest of the community will agree with you once it goes live. I think it's telling that it's taken this long for someone to speak out against the update. Everything else I've read on here seems to say that community is largely happy about the new stuff. 

Also, I was asking for proof because you keep making a lot of claims based on nothing other then "it's obvious", when it really isn't. There's a lot of reasons why SW was a different world entirely and unless a dev specifically mentioned why, all we can do is speculate. 

43 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

I like to look of both but the sound of the walking on the island is bad... kinda gross in a way.

Sounds intended. Considering it's apart of "The Moon" which is actually a being and not just a celestial body. 

15 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

There are people who have megabases with day counts in the hundreds or even _thousands_, and the second they update their game--that's it!  They'll never be able to load that game again.  Even backing it up into a new folder and importing it won't help.  It'll just be GONE.

Are you sure about that? If you copy old worlds over to the right folder and load them in the Turn of Tides beta, they'll load just fine. The cardboard ocean will be gone, and there'll just be void where it used to be, but the world will still load and function correctly. I imagine that the same will be true with old worlds whenever Turn of Tides is released.

17 hours ago, Deprecious said:

You didn't play single player RoG lately did you ?

I played it this morning, but thank you for your concern.

DST has considerably more content that single player RoG, even with the stuff ported to single player last months

Most of which is content that makes sense for multiplayer, of course. Adding such things to singleplayer would be more or less pointless, which is why they cherry picked only the most common requests.

DST is light years away when it comes to functionality / stability ( bug fixes, crashes )

I've had more crashes with DST in 1 month than I did in DS in the last year, even during beta testing in Hamlet. Hell, there is still lag in LAN worlds unless you go completely offline. Nothing is stable there.

DST is light years away when it comes to the modding platform

That's on the players, not the game itself. More popular game  = more mods. Lots more mods have popped up for DS ever since Hamlet came out.

DST is light years away when it comes to improved game mechanics

Which mechanics specifically? Other than removing the "uncompromising survival" aspect of the game, or things that only make sense in a multiplayer environment. 

On 6/13/2019 at 4:46 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

Even if its a tiny sand or rocky shore effect.

that would be actually very fitting: some dark sand and rocks would look perfect with the dark edges to contrast better with the water

I just hope we get at least a bit more waves effect... the ocean looks way monochromatic. maybe even adding some color variation to the dst water would make a difference... some white mini waves ... also more color degradation for the water itself.... like when the light hits the water

3 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Most of which is content that makes sense for multiplayer, of course. Adding such things to singleplayer would be more or less pointless, which is why they cherry picked only the most common requests.

Toadstool, ant lion, fuel weaver, chess pieces, sculpting, scaled flooring, etc will make the same amount of sense in single player, the only thing that would make less sense is their health bar.

Which mechanics specifically? Other than removing the "uncompromising survival" aspect of the game, or things that only make sense in a multiplayer environment. 

I am pretty sure the new fire mechanic in DST would make the same amount of sense in the single player version, same for the way meat effigies work there, there is more, but i'm too lazy to make a list.

I've had more crashes with DST in 1 month than I did in DS in the last year, even during beta testing in Hamlet. Hell, there is still lag in LAN worlds unless you go completely offline. Nothing is stable there.

Well, first i would like to clarify something on your issue with the lag you have in LAN games, that is completely normal for any server host based game, it doesn't matter where the server is hosted, there will always be a delay in communication between a server and a client. You can test this with other games that have a similar multiplayer architecture to DST, for example counter strike.

Now, on the topic regarding the stability and functonality of DS and DST, first i would share with you my personal experience with both version

I will begin with DST, where i have 250+ hours of gameplay, i didn't encounter any bugs, stability or performance issues, it's worth mentioning that i used mainly only client side mods, and all my time was spent on casual play and not QA testing.

With DS, where i have 50+ hours of gameplay, i encountered a significant number of issues, from bugs to performance, functionality and stability issues, many of which were severe ( significant frame rate drops, game stuck loading forever, etc), it's worth mentioning that i used only couple interface related mods which couldn't cause these issues, and all my time was spent on casual play not QA testing.

Now, from a more objective perspective, further on the claim that DS is more stable than DST.

First of all i would like to mention that when they created DST, they refactored and optimized the whole DS engine, there is no way DST would perform or function worse than DS, this comes from someone who has a little experience in this field.

And regarding the claim that Hamlet beta was more stable than DST is, considering what a buggy mess Hamlet still is weeks after it's release, i can  confidently affirm that here, you are more far from the truth than the voyager probe is from earth, sorry for the mean analogy.

1 minute ago, Deprecious said:

I am pretty sure the new fire mechanic in DST would make the same amount of sense in the single player version,

DST fire is literally the worst change they ever made. I assume it's to give players a chance to save their base if another player sets it on fire but it's actually terrible. I love that DS fire spreads lightning quick, but DST fire is way too slow.

The only part worth porting is the long burning trees.

1 minute ago, S19TealPenguin said:

DST fire is literally the worst change they ever made. I assume it's to give players a chance to save their base if another player sets it on fire but it's actually terrible. I love that DS fire spreads lightning quick, but DST fire is way too slow.

That's debatable, i prefer the new mechanic, but i guess it's a matter of personal preference

3 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

the devs already admitted on stream fire is a big nono for them

as for a challenge I see your point... this could be something something extra for a mod... but it's not gonna change for the base game in the foreseeable future

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

as for a challenge I see your point... this could be something something extra for a mod... but it's not gonna change for the base game in the foreseeable future

Yeah, I know. I don't care about the balance, I think that both systems provide interesting choices (DS: Be careful and don't do anything you can't undo, DST: if you mess up you can pay your health and time to remedy your mistake)

I don't like the new spread because of time. In DS, I can spend half a day to gather 56 charcoal, but in DST I have to wait for 5 minutes for all the trees to burn or go up into each individual tree with my torch.

Spoiler

I always take >56 charcoal so that I can have 10 drying racks and 6 crock pots. Any extra is fuel, boomerangs, or feather pencils (when I get the time).

6 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Yeah, I know. I don't care about the balance, I think that both systems provide interesting choices (DS: Be careful and don't do anything you can't undo, DST: if you mess up you can pay your health and time to remedy your mistake)

I don't like the new spread because of time. In DS, I can spend half a day to gather 56 charcoal, but in DST I have to wait for 5 minutes for all the trees to burn or go up into each individual tree with my torch.

Reveal hidden contents

I always take >56 charcoal so that I can have 10 drying racks and 6 crock pots. Any extra is fuel, boomerangs, or feather pencils (when I get the time).

as I said I see your point... you don't care about balance and that's fine... that's your personal opinion BUT then don't expect the devs to don't care about fire either... the devs have the task to find a good middle point where fire is not that annoying specially for new players so... 

that's why I suggested to look at mods for that cuz I don't think this is something the devs are gonna change from what I've seen... the last wormwood stream I watched Vito actually talked about fire relating to Wormwood and they pretty much reiterate they don't want fire to be so messy in DST.

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

as I said I see your point... you don't care about balance and that's fine... that's your personal opinion BUT then don't expect the devs to don't care about fire either... the devs have the task to find a good middle point where fire is not that annoying specially for new players so... 

that's why I suggested to look at mods for that cuz I don't think this is something the devs are gonna change from what I've seen... the last wormwood stream I watched Vito actually talked about fire relating to Wormwood and they pretty much reiterate they don't want fire to be so messy in DST.

Oh, haha.

I was just sharing my opinion, not requesting anything from the devs.

• Developer
On 6/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

3.  This is the MAIN problem:  It seems we are, indeed, going to lose EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE of our old worlds when Turn of the Tides comes out of beta!  :(  With earlier changes, it was only worlds that used certain mods that might go incompatible with the new code, that might be at risk.  That's what happened to me (and many others) when A New Reign and the Forge first came out. 

But this?  Even people who excusively play TOTALLY VANILLA are gonna lose their worlds.  Every.  Single.  Last.  World.  There are people who have megabases with day counts in the hundreds or even _thousands_, and the second they update their game--that's it!  They'll never be able to load that game again.  Even backing it up into a new folder and importing it won't help.  It'll just be GONE.

Please be informed or at least include references when your gonna make outlandish and insane claims.
now onto the main point: this is 100% wrong, never have they said that in any fashion, old worlds don't exist on the beta. When they beta updates gets released to the main branch, you will lose all your beta worlds, but your old worlds stay.

Klei doesn't update in a way that deletes your old main-branch saves. I still had one from 2016 when I switched out of the beta to try Wormwood. They won't be updated with any new worldgen features (in this case, they'll probably still have cardboard waves) but they won't stop being playable.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:03 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

I like the Shipwrecked style ocean...IN SHIPWRECKED.  In the main canon regular DST, however...

1.  I don't wanna lose the classic "cardboard cutout" waves entirely.  

2. It's also freakin' iconic to the DS world at this point.  I mean, it's had that ocean since 2012.

3.  This is the MAIN problem:  It seems we are, indeed, going to lose EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE of our old worlds when Turn of the Tides comes out of beta!

4.  Last but not least, don't say "just play singleplayer". 

1. Youre saying that we shouldnt change the game because the old content is classic, this is completely illogical. If you want to keep playing the current live version of the game: go on the internet, search dst download free and download the current version. Since this won't be from steam it wont update and youll have the chance to play that version forever.

2. This is the same exact thing as number 1.

3. Now this is completely understandable, although i do hope klei makes the old saves playable, either without the new content which is more likely or perhaps they could make some legacy version of the game like many other games have done in the past which would have the sole purpose of running old saves. I do agree that a lot of people will be upset if they lose their saves, but still, it doesnt make sense for the whole current community and the players that will join because of new updates to miss out on content because a small amount of people have old megabases.

4. At this point singleplayer and dst arent really comparable. Klei has gone completely different ways to develop both games. Ds has much bigger expansions that change the basics of the game while dst has updates that add on to whats already there. You really cant say that ds singleplayer is missing features that are in dst, because if we go by that logic dst is only 1/3 of ds singleplayer.

What i want to say is that we should look forward to changes to the game, after all these years klei still gives us more content pretty consistently. Saying that something should remain as it is because thats the way its been for a long time and its considered classic doesnt make sense.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:22 AM, Zarklord said:

Please be informed or at least include references when your gonna make outlandish and insane claims.
now onto the main point: this is 100% wrong, never have they said that in any fashion, old worlds don't exist on the beta. When they beta updates gets released to the main branch, you will lose all your beta worlds, but your old worlds stay.

As i heard Klei said that all the old worlds will be updated when turn of tides hits live, he has all the rights to be concerned about that, because i doubt that the update won't brake any worlds.

18 hours ago, FyreIsBoss said:

1. Youre saying that we shouldnt change the game because the old content is classic, this is completely illogical. If you want to keep playing the current live version of the game: go on the internet, search dst download free and download the current version. Since this won't be from steam it wont update and youll have the chance to play that version forever.

Yes, because costumers should totally be forced to resort to pirating an older version of the software they paid for.

18 hours ago, FyreIsBoss said:

What i want to say is that we should look forward to changes to the game, after all these years klei still gives us more content pretty consistently. Saying that something should remain as it is because thats the way its been for a long time and its considered classic doesnt make sense.

I disagree, i think we should look forward to adding more content to the game, rather than looking forward to make "changes" to the game.

3 hours ago, Deprecious said:

I disagree, i think we should look forward to adding more content to the game, rather than looking forward to make "changes" to the game

I'm pretty sure that boats, a new island, lunar tools, Warly, Wormwood, and flares are new content

Archived