[POLL] The Ocean's Visuals [UPDATED]

The Ocean has been changed!   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new ocean? (See Page 3)

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Which shore (island-to-sea-transition) would you like the game to have?

• I like them as they are.
    • Shipwrecked style.
    • Other (Reply Below)

After reading about some people's concerns, I thought it'd be nice to put a poll together to gauge the opinions on the ocean's visuals. See if the majority feel the same way and all that. 

Share your thoughts with others below! Oh, and try your best to keep things civil. You don't need everyone to agree with you to have your opinion valid, after all. 

-----------

To get your started, here's my personal take on the look of the ocean:

It's a bit odd. Not awful, mind you, but there's just a few things about it I find weird to look at. 

• For one, the color seems to be a much darker blue than the ocean we're all familiar with, and it doesn't change at all as it approaches the shore or changes into a different "ocean biome." It's not death-inducing; I know the ocean isn't exactly bright sky blue in real life either, but it isn't exactly the most visually appealing thing to look at, especially compared to the shipwrecked ocean. I wouldn't want a direct port of the ocean's color pallet from shipwrecked, since that's more tropical-island based, but I think it could use a few tweaks. 

• Secondly, the island's shores look real weird. I know it's the same one we've had since the very start of the game, but it looks real off with the sea level the same height as the land. I'd rather it have a slightly more subtle transition that just sudden deep water, like they also have in shipwrecked. Though maybe replace the sandy beaches with something less island-y. Maybe a rocky, gravel-y beach? Something like this? Or this?

18 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

It looks weird because of the RoG biomes, none of them fit having access to a sea/ocean. it doesn't make any sense having a dry desert, or a pine forest, or a dry rocky land, or a swamp, etc.. with direct access to the sea/ocean..

Well, they've always had direct access. The ocean just looked different before.

Before RoT the ocean didn't really matter, it was just a made up limit.  Now that the ocean plays a role, has more interactions, has more visual and gameplay importance, maybe the entire coastline requires a smoother transition. Even if its a tiny sand or rocky shore effect.

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Well, they've always had direct access. The ocean just looked different before.

There was no ocean before, it was just a background filler, a texture to cover the void, as ShadowDuelist said, a made up limit

#edit

Let me try to explain, the land in DS is a 3D plane, the only 3D asset in the game.

The "ocean" in RoG is actually just a 2D sprite placed above the void which shapes the land, the only purpose of that 2D sprite is to cover the void, in RoT on the other hand, the ocean is a 3D plane, just like the land, it has a body, unlike the one from RoG

2 hours ago, Deprecious said:

I don't get what is so ****** hard to understand what a void is.. there were no ******* shores before, because there was no ******* ocean, there was no ******* water, there was just an empty, a void, which they covered with a cardboard ocean sprite.. 

And now the "void" is just covered with a different sprite. And you can actually traverse it legitimately to the true world border now.

8 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

And now the "void" is just covered with a different sprite. And you can actually traverse it legitimately to the true world border now.

In RoT the ocean is not a void covered by a 2D sprite anymore, it's a 3D plane like the land.

Create a RoG and a RoT world, go near ocean, rotate your camera, see the difference

I edited my previous post, explaining it..

I like the Shipwrecked style ocean...IN SHIPWRECKED.  In the main canon regular DST, however...

1.  I don't wanna lose the classic "cardboard cutout" waves entirely.  The old ocean fits the THEME of the world better!  You know, like it's all not quite real, it's fake, all a stage performance...that fits Maxwell and Charlie, and also Wigfrid...  It really drives home the idea that this world is Not Quite Right, and messes with your head in a _cool_ way.  At least that's what I've always felt.

2. It's also freakin' iconic to the DS world at this point.  I mean, it's had that ocean since 2012.

3.  This is the MAIN problem:  It seems we are, indeed, going to lose EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE of our old worlds when Turn of the Tides comes out of beta!  :(  With earlier changes, it was only worlds that used certain mods that might go incompatible with the new code, that might be at risk.  That's what happened to me (and many others) when A New Reign and the Forge first came out. 

But this?  Even people who excusively play TOTALLY VANILLA are gonna lose their worlds.  Every.  Single.  Last.  World.  There are people who have megabases with day counts in the hundreds or even _thousands_, and the second they update their game--that's it!  They'll never be able to load that game again.  Even backing it up into a new folder and importing it won't help.  It'll just be GONE.

4.  Last but not least, don't say "just play singleplayer".  That doesn't quite work either.  Singleplayer is missing a LOT of features that only DST has, and even with mods it's imperfect and there are still some flat-out missing.  And again, _not everybody has access to mods in the first place_.  And SOME mods might even get the modders in trouble and get taken down, with extreme predjudice.  Until there's not only a fully-updated Winona, skins but only the skins you actually do have unlocked for DST, properly functioning pets AND even twiggy trees, juicy berry bushes and grass geckos in regular DS, it won't be the same.  It won't actually be _like_ PRE-Turn-of-the-Tides DST, which is what I'd be aiming for.

So as you can see, I'm against the new ocean entirely.  But I hope I decently explained why.  :\ 

...Notorious

Interesting poll results, but i am pretty confident that when the update gets released, after the first few weeks, the opinion with drastically change, and everyone will be here complaining " the game doesn't feel the same" , "the game is too easy", "bla bla bla" and the irony is that it will be the same people who voted here with "yes"

There was a solid reason behind the decision to create shipwrecked in a new world, but no one seems to get it

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Last but not least, don't say "just play singleplayer".  That doesn't quite work either.  Singleplayer is missing a LOT of features that only DST has, and even with mods it's imperfect and there are still some flat-out missing

I mean... DST is still missing 2 entire worlds of content that singleplayer has.  Some of the unique features in DST don't make sense or just aren't need (seriously, who actually wants grass geckos in the game?), and most of the ones that do (beefalo riding, fences/gates, bundlewraps, fast crafting, etc) were already ported over singleplayer a few months ago.

You're not missing a lot when playing singleplayer, and it still arguably has more content than DST with all the DLC.

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I mean... DST is still missing 2 entire worlds of content that singleplayer has.  Some of the unique features in DST don't make sense or just aren't need (seriously, who actually wants grass geckos in the game?), and most of the ones that do (beefalo riding, fences/gates, bundlewraps, fast crafting, etc) were already ported over singleplayer a few months ago.

You're not missing a lot when playing singleplayer, and it still arguably has more content than DST with all the DLC.

You didn't play single player RoG lately did you ? the single player version is years behind DST in terms of everything

DST has considerably more content that single player RoG, even with the stuff ported to single player last months

DST is light years away when it comes to functionality / stability ( bug fixes, crashes )

DST is light years away when it comes to the modding platform

DST is light years away when it comes to improved game mechanics

The only thing the singleplayer version has going is the DLCs, which are also, riddled with a lot of performance, stability, functionality issues, i can't even play hamlet because of the FPS drops and the forever stuck at loading screen issue.

4 hours ago, Deprecious said:

Interesting poll results, but i am pretty confident that when the update gets released, after the first few weeks, the opinion with drastically change, and everyone will be here complaining " the game doesn't feel the same" , "the game is too easy", "bla bla bla" and the irony is that it will be the same people who voted here with "yes"

In all this time, you are the very first person (on the forums) who absolutely despises the new content. Everyone else seems to be enjoying it and looking forward to more. I highly doubt this prediction will come true.

4 hours ago, Deprecious said:

There was a solid reason behind the decision to create shipwrecked in a new world, but no one seems to get it

Provide some actual proof then. I just figured it was due to SW being a collaboration with another dev and it was to prevent them from accidentally messing up RoG. But I'm not taking my speculation as gospel like you are.

40 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

In all this time, you are the very first person (on the forums) who absolutely despises the new content. Everyone else seems to be enjoying it and looking forward to more. I highly doubt this prediction will come true.

Yeah, according to the poll results and the posts around here, i am clearly the ONLY ONE to whom the new content seems off, right ?

And yes, i am the very first person to be concerned about the new content, because i am fully aware of the impact it will have upon the RoG world and mechanics

40 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Provide some actual proof then. I just figured it was due to SW being a collaboration with another dev and it was to prevent them from accidentally messing up RoG. But I'm not taking my speculation as gospel like you are.

So now i actually need to provide proof for stating the obvious ? 

1 minute ago, Deprecious said:

Yeah, according to the poll results and the posts around here, i am clearly the ONLY ONE to whom the new content seems off, right ?

You're not the only one, but it only appears that way as you have been vocal about your opinions. There's nothing wrong with that, however. Personally, I'm a fan of the ocean currently in place in the beta and I like it.

2 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

So now i actually need to provide proof for stating the obvious ?

That seems strange of you to say, considering you told others to do the same thing in your thread:

Nope, it's just a background filler to cover the void that shapes and separates the land masses, and yes, it is a coincidence that they went with a cut cardboard ocean as the filler texture, look at the darkness in the caves and the clouds in hamlet.. ask the devs, i'm pretty confident they will confirm this

You, 16 hours ago as of the writing of this post.

Archived