Griftlands Reboot, Alpha and Roadmap

I heard of a few things that Epic store did, I don't like it very much.

Yet, I would still chose to support Klei for this one, since Griftlands just looks so great, I could not wait for another year!

...Until this "partner" of Klei slaped right into my face.  

5d04da916c3a9_(268).thumb.png.2f3979a49376297403d9130d807df4c4.png

:wilsoalmostangelic:Hope this is not intended, and will get fixed soon.

PS. I live in China. Could it because that the game is lacking the regional price? If so, I wouldn't mind paying the full $15 if you haven't decided the price yet, but just give me the access already!!!

On 10.06.2019 at 7:51 PM, Bigfoot said:

Hello everyone!

As you may have seen at the PC Game Show, we are finally ready to talk about Griftlands. As always we try not to say too much until we’re reasonably sure we have solid information to give you, but we're feeling confident with the status of the game and want to fill you in.

We have a lot to discuss here: Alpha on the Epic Game Store, Early Access on Steam, and a big change in gameplay.

Griftlands, the RPG
Every time we make a game, we set out to make a new experience that’s never been made before. Over 4 years ago, we set out to make a new RPG, and the development of the game twisted and turned in many interesting ways.

After a couple years, we thought we were close, and announced the game. It turns out, we were premature in the announcement, and after another year of development, we realized that we were not delivering the experience we had set out to. Specifically, we wanted a world where you had the freedom to do what you wanted, and the world would respond systemically to it; where you could build relationships and the nuances of them would come back to haunt you. We wanted to let you wander a large expansive world, build out your party, and backstab your own party members when they least expected it. 

We wanted the story to be systemic, but it felt either robotic or too linear. We built a full trading simulation, modeling supply and demand, we built a fully featured crafting system, and a dynamic faction simulator. Unfortunately, the whole was never better than the pieces; we found that each piece of the game felt disconnected with the rest, and that actions often felt inconsequential. We built large worlds that felt tedious to travel around, and as designers we knew the systems were not working to provide a holistic experience.

What we did see was the people loved the world, and loved the premise of negotiation and manipulation. In short, we focused our design, and over the last year, we’ve been working on something new in the same world.

The New Griftlands
Today, we’re announcing a reboot of Griftlands, a single-player deck building game where you negotiate, fight, steal or otherwise persuade others to get your way. We put aside the huge simulation and RPG elements and focused on negotiation, combat, and manipulation. You play the game as one of three characters, and each decision you make is important -- which jobs to take, which side to choose, and which cards to collect. 

Скачать видео

In Alpha, you play as Sal, a freelance adventurer out for profit and revenge, and you do the dirty work that other people won't. As you play, you build two separate decks: one for negotiation, and one for battle. 

The world of Griftlands is harsh, and death can come quickly. Each time you play offers new jobs and situations to encounter, and a chance to rebuild your strategies. A successful run will require a sharp wit, a sharp blade, and enough cunning to know when to use each.

Alpha and the Epic Game Store
As with our previous games, we will be running an Alpha period in order to iron out the kinks. We have partnered with Epic to bring the Alpha of Griftlands to the Epic Game Store exclusively for one year, and will launch in Early Access on Steam next June.

Klei has a history of partnering with new distribution platforms when starting new projects, for example the Don’t Starve Alpha was only available on the Chrome Webstore, and the Invisible Inc. Alpha was only available through the Humble Widget as a direct download. After rebooting the game, Epic approached us as a partner and we felt that this fit well with our process of going from Alpha to garner feedback before putting it on all platforms.

On July 11, we are going to launch the Alpha version of Griftlands for $14.99. 

Early Access on Steam and Early Roadmap
In June of next year, we will be releasing Griftlands into Early Access on Steam. Anyone who purchased on Epic will get the game on Steam for free, and vice versa.

Griftlands has taken a long time, and it’s gone through more twists and turns than any of our previously released projects. Making new experiences is never easy, and if nothing else it’s guaranteed to work out differently than we anticipated. 

We have quite a bit of work ahead of us. Our expected timeline is:

• Alpha: The Sal campaign (days 1 through 4) is released
  • Fall: Character 2 campaign (days 1 through ?) is released
  • Early Access: Character 3 campaign (days 1 through ?) is released
  • Launch: Full campaign for all characters released

We expect the full game to launch in the Fall of next year, and we’re looking forward to taking that journey with you, from Alpha to Early Access to launch.

Best, 
Jamie.

F.A.Q.

What happened to Griftlands the RPG?
We set out to make a new kind of RPG, and while we think that game can exist, after several years of development we felt we couldn’t make it work yet. Perhaps we will try again one day, but in the meantime we decided to take the world of Griftlands in a different direction.

If I purchase the Alpha, will I get the full game at launch?
Yes. When you buy Griftlands during Alpha, you will have access to the game through Early-Access and you will get the full game at launch, on both Epic Game Store and Steam.

Is Griftlands a CCG?
No, Griftlands is a single-player rogue-like deck building game with an emergent narrative. You earn cards during play via the jobs you complete, and build out your negotiation and fighting skills. There are no microtransactions. 

How will you be responding feedback for the Alpha?
We have built an in-game feedback system in the game. Simply press F8 at any time in the game and you can send us your feedback. Of course, there will likely be too much feedback for us to respond to individually.

We will be primarily garnering and responding to feedback on our forums, and will keep everyone up to date with the current status of the game both on the forums and inside the game.

What platforms will Griftlands be on?
We will be supporting PC during Alpha and Early Access. We will be adding OSX and Linux support in the future.

111.gif.62912d1a4f169c7032fb00aa6df7fd0b.gif

On 6/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, PuffinBy said:

PS. I live in China. Could it because that the game is lacking the regional price? If so, I wouldn't mind paying the full $15 if you haven't decided the price yet, but just give me the access already!!!

Chinese player here, got the same problem. Please, Klei.

I don’t get it. When I bought ONI in alpha it was sold directly through your website if I remember correctly? Why not do that for Griftlands and cut out the middle man altogether. I have been waiting for more information on this game for literally years and now I’m instantly turned off  because of Epic. Guess I’ll remove this game from my list.

I for one hope the game does well :)

The Epic Game Store thing is getting way overblown. Klei have a history of making their alphas hard to get, but their early access readily available. This is no different, only they are hopefully getting money out of it.  You can wait until its Early Access gets on Steam to buy it. Or you can buy the alpha now and get a Steam key for free when Early Access arrives! Compared to the exclusive deals EGS has been buying elsewhere, this is as tame as it gets.

People just like to complain. Everybody hated Steam when it first started being a thing too, but not anymore. As far as I can tell, the only good argument against EGS is that its launcher is barebones, which it is, but doesn't deserve anywhere near the scorn it gets. Heck, GoG doesn't offer any refunds *at all*, yet no one harps on them this way.

16 hours ago, pacovf said:

I for one hope the game does well :)

The Epic Game Store thing is getting way overblown. Klei have a history of making their alphas hard to get, but their early access readily available. This is no different, only they are hopefully getting money out of it.  You can wait until its Early Access gets on Steam to buy it. Or you can buy the alpha now and get a Steam key for free when Early Access arrives! Compared to the exclusive deals EGS has been buying elsewhere, this is as tame as it gets.

Them having a history of being bad at something doesn't excuse them getting paid off to sell to a different service. People also don't like how epic is buying their way to success with their store and don't want to support that, having a company that they did support telling people to use that very service that is hurting the industry is going to anger some people.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, houmai said:

Chinese player here, got the same problem. Please, Klei.

5d092fcab87d9_(272).thumb.png.06ba61408a07417cf761b1647dc4c2b2.png

They Sure fixed it fast. Now, I'm finally able to visit the store page.

And Klei, THANK YOU for always listening to us, and always bringing hours and hours of fun.

Time for me to wait in peace for Griftlands Alpha.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:24 AM, HereBeJimbo said:

Aside from Epic's barebones software and scummy buisness practices, is there any other reason why everyone is refusing to buy the game? I have no interest in this franchise but I'm curious on what the big issue is here.

The barebones software and scummy business practices are exactly why people are refusing to buy the game. It really saddens me that Klei is being dragged through the mud by epic now, but my boycott of epic continues. As consumers we have to vote with our wallets if we want our voices heard.

It's an Alpha release...  People need to calm down a bit, Steam STILL gets Early Access with more content and the game will be launched at the same time in all platforms once it is ready.  I myself do not like Epic so guess what, I'LL BUY IT IN STEAM when it comes out in Early Access.  

This article says launch is July 11.

https://kotaku.com/klei-s-next-game-griftlands-is-coming-to-early-access-1835379525

Unfortunate we have to give Epic business to get the alpha but it looks too good to wait a year.

Trying to find details on how Klei will know to email us Steam keys if we do not select "share email with developer" when purchasing on Epic. 

5 hours ago, Dukat said:

This article says launch is July 11.

https://kotaku.com/klei-s-next-game-griftlands-is-coming-to-early-access-1835379525

Unfortunate we have to give Epic business to get the alpha but it looks too good to wait a year.

Trying to find details on how Klei will know to email us Steam keys if we do not select "share email with developer" when purchasing on Epic. 

Hey there, 

We won't be emailing keys. After creating a Klei account (if you don't already have one) and linking your epic account we can grant your the game to your steam account if you link your steam account as well.

Basically, once you link accounts up epic tells us you own the game and then we tell steam that you own the game.

8 hours ago, Greiver said:

is it allowed to make youtube videos from the alpha or are there restrictions ?

There will be no restrictions, but as always we do ask that viewers are reminded that it's an alpha version and still in development.  

49 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Hey there, 

We won't be emailing keys. After creating a Klei account (if you don't already have one) and linking your epic account we can grant your the game to your steam account if you link your steam account as well.

Basically, once you link accounts up epic tells us you own the game and then we tell steam that you own the game.

There will be no restrictions, but as always we do ask that viewers are reminded that it's an alpha version and still in development.  

Thanks for the quick reply and details.

I linked my Steam account but don't see an option to link Epic, Epic link coming later?

Looking forward to Griftlands! Seems it's coming out soon as ONI get's out of EA :)

Is there a Discord server for Griftlands yet?

Archived