Bigfoot

Griftlands Reboot, Alpha and Roadmap

KevinWalter    68
3 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, depends on the person. It seems we did not forget about this game when it was originally announced in 2017, two years ago. The games industry moves very quickly, so one year is about as long as this may be tolerable... but this is not even the full game. It's a buggy, incomplete alpha (kind of like the Epic store itself). According to this roadmap, more content will be released when it's put on Steam anyway. 

Bear with me, Epic is pretty gross. I wish Steam's only main competitor was not such crap. Should the deal change to Griftlands being an Epic exclusive forever (which is incredibly unlikely, but just for argument's sake), I'll join the riot. But heck, it's one year of an incomplete game. We'll have plenty of time to offer feedback through Early Access before full release.

Alpha and early access are the same thing. Klei's games are often in EA for a year or more. They intend to release this Fall of next year, and it's only going to be available on Steam starting in June. That gives them a few months of "early access", so it doesn't quite seem to be the way you think it is.

• Like 1

__IvoCZE__    5,678

I just hope that Klei will realize the mistake before Griftlands are out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

ResettePlayer    4,110
3 minutes ago, KevinWalter said:

Alpha and early access are the same thing. Klei's games are often in EA for a year or more. They intend to release this Fall of next year, and it's only going to be available on Steam starting in June. That gives them a few months of "early access", so it doesn't quite seem to be the way you think it is.

True, I may be spinning things to be more positive. However, I will say one last thing: Klei (and game developers in general) tend to overestimate how quickly things will take. They will most likely release the full game much later than fall 2020. With regards to getting onto Steam in the first place, seeing how badly the Epic store exclusivity is being received, it's probably within their best interest to put it on Steam riiiiiight when they say they will. Or else a significant chunk of their buyers will flip their desks even more violently than now.

This is all speculation, and being on Epic is a disappointment and all, but it shouldn't spoil our experience of the game when it does come out. We've been patient so far.

• Like 1

ResettePlayer    4,110
4 minutes ago, WilliamGreywind said:

Getting player feedback to make a better game

This actually does puzzle me a wee bit. Going on Epic will likely cut down a lot of the potential players they'd have. Well, maybe a decent amount of units will be sold, but only a smallish percentage of those buyers will be consistent feedback-givers.

• Like 3

Baukereg    3

Right now I'm just happy the game will release on Steam at all! Klei is probably my favorite developer, but Epic exclusivity would be a game breaker for me. Finding out Klei won't abandon Steam was a huge relieve.

Personally I try to skip alpha's/EA and wait for the full game to arrive anyway. For example, I've yet to play ONI.

• Like 3

Bluckles    229
46 minutes ago, DirtWolf said:

If you buy on Epic, you'll get it on Steam for free

with that notion, i don't see how it's so bad. i dont think Epic is a good quality launcher. I can deal with it for a single game for a year though.

__IvoCZE__    5,678
Just now, Bluckles said:

i dont think Epic is a good quality launcher. I can deal with it for a single game for a year though.

I will send you some links about Epic and Tencent in PM when I have time, if it won't happen early just text me.

• Like 2

Bluckles    229
2 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I will send you some links about Epic and Tencent in PM when I have time, if it won't happen early just text me.

I already looked at things: Tencent has a "minority investment" in Epic. The whole selling information thing is 100% speculation. The launcher itself is just a **** quality

Captain_Rage    1,029

Still looking forward to Griftlands and it's hear to great some news. I also appreciate Klei sharing their insight and thoughts so openly. As for the Epic Store, I probably dislike it way more than the average guy and will never resort to it. For me waiting one year is no problem whatsoever, however. It's not like I'm going to miss anything since the alpha will hit Steam eventually, and I have plenty of other things to do and games to play meanwhile. Looking forward to see more of Griftlands. :D I hope that the concept with cards and deck building will work out well.

• Like 2

minespatch    56,361
11 minutes ago, PetreyT. said:

the rogue-like card game approach

To be honest, the card system reminds me of Kingdom Hearts chain of memories on the GBA, so no problem with the mechanics in my opinion. It looks like a lot of fun.

I'm not being negative at Klei at all, I'll just be patient and wait the next year so I can send bug reports on steam. Just don't want anything to do with epic.

Here's Appabend's thoughts on the platform:

Spoiler

• Like 2