Don't starve wikia virus?

16 minutes ago, TurtleKitty said:

Wish that this forum website had a wiki tab to it . . . as long as it was moderated properly it could trounce the fandom wiki.
Would only be Klei ads. Not nearby totally real asian women that want me to meet them. 

More reasons to stick with this forum.:wilson_ecstatic:

2 hours ago, TurtleKitty said:

Wish that this forum website had a wiki tab to it . . . as long as it was moderated properly it could trounce the fandom wiki.
Would only be Klei ads. Not nearby totally real asian women that want me to meet them. 

There could even be an in game link to it on don't starve's menu screens. Encourage new players to study up if they're curious to learn more about the game!

3 hours ago, TurtleKitty said:

We talked about it, but ultimately we just threw our support toward gamepedia: https://dontstarve.gamepedia.com/Don't_Starve_Wiki

14 hours ago, JoeW said:

We talked about it, but ultimately we just threw our support toward gamepedia: https://dontstarve.gamepedia.com/Don't_Starve_Wiki

The issue here is that the gamepedia wiki is barely being used. In their own statistics you can see that there have only been two active members the last month: https://dontstarve.gamepedia.com/Special:Statistics. Furthermore, the new pages are just pure copies from the fandom wiki. example

I'm glad you reahed out and did an effort two years ago when the community complained about the overwhelming amount of ads on the wiki. Sadly, the solution of creating a gamepedia wiki did evidently not work out. I urge you to reconsider and perhaps create a Klei hosted official wiki that still remains 100% fan operated and maintained.

On 10.6.2019 at 6:19 PM, CarlZalph said:

With ublock:

||discordapp.com/widget?id=280003871533957120

Not sure if the id changes or not, so many need a joker field at the end for any id.

omg its working. the page opens after 1 sec. mister @CarlZalph thanks so much. can i buy you some DST skins for helping me always and your mods. wormwood chest or what ever?

9 minutes ago, BeliarBAD said:

omg its working. the page opens after 1 sec. mister @CarlZalph thanks so much. can i buy you some DST skins for helping me always and your mods. wormwood chest or what ever?

Oh don't worry yourself over such things, this wasn't a harsh task.

You can use ublock's element picker to find offending things on websites you don't want to see.  Real easy selecting things, too.

Not sure if it looks different in other browsers, but there's an eyedropper icon that lets you go into dynamic selection mode.

image.png.74f85ce6ce5b0f436c73929979648c47.png

Thanks to everyone here for the feedback! This is highly concerning, and the worst part is that it could very well be out of our hands. With Wikia's effective monopoly over the wiki-hosting service, much like @Mueck, I'm highly in favour of establishing an official domain and moving away from third-party services.

We will take a look at the Discord integrator issues and remove it if necessary. Thank you for bringing these issues into the light.

4 hours ago, Deiaa said:

Thanks to everyone here for the feedback! This is highly concerning, and the worst part is that it could very well be out of our hands. With Wikia's effective monopoly over the wiki-hosting service, much like @Mueck, I'm highly in favour of establishing an official domain and moving away from third-party services.

We will take a look at the Discord integrator issues and remove it if necessary. Thank you for bringing these issues into the light.

That would be an interesting concept to do. Any concrete ideas currently?

To @BeliarBAD and anyone else encountering problems, we've recently been investigating the Discord widget in cooperation with its manager, and I would like to update the situation about it. Unfortunately, we did not encounter any abnormality or issue with it, and even with VPNs/Proxies and/or adblockers, as well as hiding the widget, we've been unable to recreate any problems described here or extend page loading times to such extreme levels by merely having it present. The Discord Integrator has the lowest load priority among all page content (even ads have a higher priority), so it shouldn't be able to delay loading of article content like that. Even after throttling connection speeds (All the way down to 1 Mbps in my case), article content still never took longer than 3 seconds to be visible, and other page content (comments, recent activity, advertisements and the Discord widget) never took longer than 10 seconds to load, with the widget showing up last. So far, that's always been the case from what I've seen over the past couple of days.

I apologize, but so far we haven't confirmed the widget to be a cause for any issues related to loading times, or really any other problems that are sufficiently significant to get it removed. This was most likely a one-off bug, but if it's happening this reliably, there must be another, related or unrelated, cause. Furthermore, it seems according to the Discord's manager, that widget was the main source of new users joining that server, so it appears some people actually do use that thing.

Could you provide any further details about issues you've been encountering? We've unfortunately failed to recreate any problems here. If it's still seemingly continuing to cause trouble, you may continue to hide it with Ublock as you wish. With the current ad situation, you really should be using an adblocker anyway, or create an account and browse while logged-in if you can't use one. Speaking of ads...

The Current Situation with the initial malware report:

So far, all fingers point toward some malicious advertisement, and I have to stress that the admins of the wiki have no control whatsoever over what ads show up on the site. We've emailed Fandom/Wikia about it, but are still currently awaiting a reply or visible action on their part...

For now, always use an adblocker or browse the wiki while logged-in to avoid such experiences. We're sorry you all have to go through this hassle, but we cannot filter these ads ourselves.

I'll keep you guys updated with any new developments about this.

Archived