Don't Starve LGBTQIA+ Pride Center

TurtleKitty

A place for posts revolving around the characters of Don't Starve being members or supporters of LGBTQIA+. 
@minespatch @Farlan @Sunset Skye @Habberdash

Edit: Anyone wanting to post pictures, discussions, fics, videos, or memes in regard to LGBTQIA+ Don't Starve characters are free and welcomed to do so, even if it was already posted elsewhere in the klei forums, and even in regards to OCs and crossovers. I only ask that if posting work that isn't yours, you ensure to provide proper credit and if possible a link to the piece and content creator. 

-----Pride Mod Idea-----
Buildable pride flags: stationary, sailing, and wearable cape. 
Flag color-based recipes: Rainbow Cake, Cotton Candy, Fruit Salad, Trifle, Juice Mocktail, etc.
Pride Weapons: Homosexual Hammer, Lesbian Sword, Bisexual Axe, Pansexual Pan, Asexual Mace, Transgender Trident, Genderfluid AxePick, Spork of Supportive Indecision, etc.
Wes motes of sign language, as he can't have pro-pride character quotes. 
Possible option to designate particular gender designations and sexual preferences for playing character which would effect quotes, to help with immersion - example: when examining a trans pride flag, picking cisgender could yield "I always support my trans friends." quote while picking transgender could yield "Proud to be me." quote. 
Not sure if skins are even possible to mod in for a pre-existing character, but that would be peak. 

Feel free to add any ideas to the hypothetical mod, and Happy Pride Month. :wilson_love:

Since it's been buried in the other thread:

This is a crappy card that I made when I gifted the DST Mega Pack to my boyfriend for Christmas a few years ago. He's Woodie, I'm Wilson.

IMG-20190603-WA0001.thumb.jpg.594833d32dad85249fb25f9a79c72780.jpg

Happy Pride everyone!

1 hour ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

How did pride month actually begin to exist and when did it become such a bad thing?

Pride began decades ago as a protest to fight for the rights of those in the LGBTQIA+ community, and it isn't a bad thing. The only people that push the narrative of it being bad are heterosexist, cissexist bigots. Most often they try to use religion to justify their horrible attempts to deprive innocent people of their freedoms and rights. In recent years Pride has become more celebratory as the community has come so far in being recognized and accepted, but it is still at its core a protest against attempts to silence, harm, and destroy them. 

1 hour ago, Mueck said:

IMG-20190603-WA0001.thumb.jpg.594833d32dad85249fb25f9a79c72780.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen them paired before. It's actually very wholesome, considering their quick-hair traits and the woodsman/scientist dynamic. 

winonapride.png.b16f9a3b980d678dee80359876505f8b.png.bd70cb7339f4cc2ed50a2dda85e2342e.png
As it appears JohnWatson is currently unable to post on the forums, I am posting his gimp edit of Winona celebrating Pride - which is the image that helped inspire this forum. If when you see this @JohnWatson you want it removed, possibly to post it yourself, I will do so. Until then -
Winona Says "Gay Rights!" 
Winona Says "Trans Rights!" 
Winona Says "Happy Pride!" 

I have now slept about this and I have to say that the fact that this thread had to be put into the Off Topic Area doesn't sit very well with me, to put it lightly. After all, we are still on the topic of Don't Starve.

13 hours ago, TurtleKitty said:

Pride began decades ago as a protest to fight for the rights of those in the LGBTQIA+ community, and it isn't a bad thing. The only people that push the narrative of it being bad are heterosexist, cissexist bigots. Most often they try to use religion to justify their horrible attempts to deprive innocent people of their freedoms and rights. In recent years Pride has become more celebratory as the community has come so far in being recognized and accepted, but it is still at its core a protest against attempts to silence, harm, and destroy them. 

I would probably add that a number of Pride protests began as a response to particularly violent acts. The Stonewall Riots in the states; the murder of Declan Flynn in Ireland, where I’m from (he was beaten to death by a group of lads, who were only convicted of manslaughter because the man they killed was gay. It’s a really horrific case).

I would really recommend anyone who wants to learn more to do more research. There are some really great (free) resources on all of this. 

nbwx.png.5e5d3f1a7ac1fad5c34266b78e1e9703.png

I, for one, welcome our non-binary robot overlord

Have some canonical proof of their non-binary-ness:

Spoiler
  •  They are programmed as a gender apart from "male" and "female" called "robot"
  •  They are consistently referred to with singular they pronouns by the flavor text and other characters ("This robot was evil before. Now they're double evil."; "Few things get them more excited than the prospect of destroying fleshlings."; Webber quote: "Aww. We'd beep-boop WX-78 on the nose if they had one!"; etc)
  •  Maxwell refers to them as "Mx WX-78". Mx is a gender neutral title. ( "Mx. WX-78 is finally making good on their promise of mayhem." )

19 hours ago, Bluegeist said:

nbwx.png.5e5d3f1a7ac1fad5c34266b78e1e9703.png

I, for one, welcome our non-binary robot overlord

Have some canonical proof of their non-binary-ness:

Hide contents
  •  They are programmed as a gender apart from "male" and "female" called "robot"
  •  They are consistently referred to with singular they pronouns by the flavor text and other characters ("This robot was evil before. Now they're double evil."; "Few things get them more excited than the prospect of destroying fleshlings."; Webber quote: "Aww. We'd beep-boop WX-78 on the nose if they had one!"; etc)
  •  Maxwell refers to them as "Mx WX-78". Mx is a gender neutral title. ( "Mx. WX-78 is finally making good on their promise of mayhem." )

this just in: robots don't have gender

1 hour ago, Bluckles said:

Robots have about as much gender as people do. Some robots are boys (Zenyatta, C-3PO), some are girls (Orisa, Rosie), some are non-binary (Lynx Seventeen, WX-78). They are representations of humans, after all.

What I personally like about WX is how they are non-binary, but present masculine. In my observation non-binary characters are often presented as being androgynous. It's nice to see that you don't have to bend both ways to be enby :wilson_flower:

3 hours ago, Mueck said:

Then why are they not adressed with "it", but "they"?

because wx portrays a human, not an animal or object

2 hours ago, Bluegeist said:

Robots have about as much gender as people do. Some robots are boys (Zenyatta, C-3PO), some are girls (Orisa, Rosie), some are non-binary (Lynx Seventeen, WX-78). They are representations of humans, after all.

What I personally like about WX is how they are non-binary, but present masculine. In my observation non-binary characters are often presented as being androgynous. It's nice to see that you don't have to bend both ways to be enby :wilson_flower:

i just think you are overthinking a simple robot character for the chance to call a don't starve character part of lgbt+. a video game robot, whose lines deal basically only with death and destruction, has zero concept of sexuality or gender. it/they whatever doesn't care. sure a robot is technically "non-binary" (actually it's very binary, hahahahahahahahah) but it is an object just portraying a human. i dont know, i dont want to ruin this thread but not everything has to be a part of lgbtq+

1 hour ago, Bluckles said:

i just think you are overthinking a simple robot character for the chance to call a don't starve character part of lgbt+. a video game robot, whose lines deal basically only with death and destruction, has zero concept of sexuality or gender. it/they whatever doesn't care. sure a robot is technically "non-binary" (actually it's very binary, hahahahahahahahah) but it is an object just portraying a human. i dont know, i dont want to ruin this thread but not everything has to be a part of lgbtq+

This is quite literally a thread on LGBTQIA+ pride involving the characters of Don't Starve. A thread for fans to share headcanons and works regarding this. Going out of your way to say "nOt EvErYtHiNg HaS tO bE lbgt!!11!!" is both pointless and purposely inflammatory. If you did not want to "ruin the thread" you simply could have not posted that. So if you have nothing regarding LGBTQIA+ positivity then please leave. 

4 hours ago, Mueck said:

Then why are they not adressed with "it", but "they"?

Because WX78 is a cognizant being, not an object. Using the term "it" towards any sapient beings is de-personalizing them, objectifying them, regarding them as unworthy of respect. 
And because WX78 has clearly decided that they prefer nonbinary terms. 

5 hours ago, Bluckles said:

Some robots have gender {ex. Transformers, Disney's "Robots"}. WX78 just decides that they are genderless rather than choosing from the available binary. 

5 hours ago, TurtleKitty said:

Because WX78 is a cognizant being, not an object. Using the term "it" towards any sapient beings is de-personalizing them, objectifying them, regarding them as unworthy of respect. 
And because WX78 has clearly decided that they prefer nonbinary terms. 

My question was directed at Buckles. I'm fully aware that WX-78 is not an object, but a character portrayed with personality traits and everything. :wilson_flower:

10 hours ago, Bluckles said:

I get what you are saying. This is an issue when we have inhuman characters as sole representation of marginalized peeps, it's a complicated subject. I think about it a lot. I feel like that's a discussion for another time.

Right now, I just want to enjoy my favorite character and what they mean to me :wilson_celebrate:

Somebody half-jokingly suggested a while back that they could see Winona and Walani as kind of an "odd-couple" pairing...I dunno, I kinda like that.  It would be amusing anyway.  : P 

That Woodie and Wilson picture is adorable.  Awww.

I think the characters refer to WX as "it" in-game because...they're not used to hanging out with robots and even less to thinking of them as people.  In a more enlightened or science-fiction-fan age, they might use "them".  There are actual non-binary pronouns, of course, but I SEVERELY don't think any 1920s characters would've even heard of them.  Heh.

At any rate, WX is definitely a non-binary character (who presents as male, or at least not obviously female...and all of this gets WAY funnier with some other languages--many of them gender _everything_).  Wormwood...well, I put him in a skirt for his very first ouffit in my game

wormwoodsnewdress.png.1904a5071a22062a8a4b5872406c7bd2.png

but that's mainly because I feel those colours look nice on him.  :)  All clothing in DST aside from the actual head-pieces is functionally genderless anyway.  : P

...Notorious

I think one thing that has given pride parade a bad rep is when some people are half naked on it or was it even entirely naked? Or Just having sexualised it. However from what I understand this have happened extremly rarely and most people in the parade are against it and that some people lie about it and claims it happens all the time. I personally have never seen a pride parade and I find it strange that people think it is not needed when LBTQ are killed, bullied or treated unfairly because of how they are. I have seen people add a P because some rapists have raped those of same gender that are minors and are so stupid and believe that makes homosexuality bad and have made claims that LBTQ+ support pedophilia because pedophilia is also a form of sexuality but unlike the others is actually extremly bad.

How they often think:

Spoiler

Homosexuality is a sin

Pedophilia is a sin

= homosexuals support pedophilia 

Yes, many of them think like that.

The parade is needed, sadly a lot of people can't see why. I hope things will get a lot better in the future. The pride flag with Winona looks great.

Oohhh, you have NO idea how right you are.  Check out this "Make America Straight Again" conference thing--it's going to be in Orlando, Florida, in a church right across from the Pulse nightclub and ON THE FREAKING ANNIVERSARY OF THE SHOOTING (this Friday).  _Celebrating_ it. 

These guys are of course fringe nutjobs, but the preachers in the (now taken down for hate speech, and rightfully so!) advertising videos on YouTube for it literally CALL FOR THE _DEATH_.  PENALTY.  for anybody LGBTQ+ ish.  Heck, there's even a poster inside the church that says "LGBTQ" on top and underneath that, "Let God Burn Them Quickly".   Literal words from these promotional videos for the "MASA" event include: "We're totally not advocating violence" followed, only a few minutes later _in the same video_, by "We just want to see these perverts put where they belong--six feet under."

...WHAT?!!

...considering THAT'S what they're up against, I'd say...a little nipple-waving never actually _killed_ anybody.  But these guys?  They just MIGHT.  Or inspire some crazy shooter to.  Perhaps in the Pulse nightclub again--I mean, it's just so conveniently close by!

...Notorious

I saw a part of an interview a newschannel/local paper asked one of the people questions. And, well. It looks like they were sympathetic towards the church. I would just like to point out that I have not seen the interview other than what is in this video.

I am not going to feel sorry for someone getting death threats if they themselves want to exterminate people for being different. I do feel sorry for those who do get death threats for being family member just for being family. I don't think I saw any death threats hower I believe there are many BUT I do not believe most of the people would try to kill anyone in the church. 

Spoiler

About they/them/nonbinary pronounce. I have a big problem with this. I see pretty much gender=sex but I do think the term gender role is stupid in most cases. I see it from a biological standpoint. They/them can be confusing because it can look like it is about more than 1 individual.

The word You have the same problem. Also causes confusion at times.

I just noticed I have been making this offtopic(but still related to LBTQ+) Ooops sorry about that.

Also what is "I" and "A" in LBTQIA+?

Yep, looks like the same story I saw, only it was commented on/reacted to by a different YouTuber.  As far as I know, I haven't yet heard about any of the _church_ people getting death threats...all the other side has been doing is reporting their stuff to YouTube for terms of service violation as hate speech (and ya gotta admit, when you go THAT far, it definitely is.  That's way beyond "Oooh, they said a bad word I don't like!", when you're actually inciting to violence!)  If protesters show up, they'll probably just wave rainbow flags and yell about love not hate, that kind of thing. 

Possibly someone will show up _wearing_ a rainbow flag...and nothing else, then drop it during a dramatic pause in the speech or something.  I mean, this IS Florida.  Crazy Naked kind of comes with the territory.  (To be fair, however, we are talking about early SUMMER in Florida...so it's both hot _and_ humid.  I've lived in humid weather, and lemme tell ya--as annoying as deserty conditions can be re:  dry eyes, chapped lips and more shockage when touching metal in winter, I'd still MUCH rather have that.  And hmmm--isn't my favourite harsher biome to base in, in DS, a desert, rather than a swamp?  Huh.)  If any of Mr. Atheist's viewers are in the area, possibly a troll move involving pumpkins might happen (long story).  No actual violence, though.  Aaand...here is where I send the thing unfinished again, to save my edits.  Last time it cut off mid-sentence 'cos I accidentally sent it early, and then while I was trying to fix it, MY COMPUTER RESTARTED WITHOUT WARNING!  So now I'm paranoid.  Excuse me a moment, then I shall properly explain the I and A, as I understand them.

Spoiler

So...the I, fairly newly added to the acronym (the full version is longer and even _I_, flaming liberal snowflake that I apparently am, don't have the whole thing memorised yet) stands for Intersex.  This is one of a number of different chromosome/other factor conditions that can make the person's body, their actual physical _sex_, not gender, come out differently from one of the two standard ones.  So hey!  Turns out even "There are only two genders because there's only two sexes" doesn't quite work either!  Not yelling at _you_ specifically saying that, by the way--it's a thing a lot of people say.  Back in The Day, all kids who showed any sign of this at birth were automatically changed to one or the other standard sex--usually female, as that's surgically easier.  But nowadays, not all parents do that--some prefer to let their kid grow up as they are and then choose on their own.  And some choose to stay intersex!

More importantly, _most_ intersex variations DON'T show at birth at all.  Sometimes you can see a difference on an X-ray, sometimes the kid seems one way entirely and then their body only changes at puberty.  (And there's that one syndrome where the person has fully formed female everything...but XY chromosomes.  So it doesn't show _at all_ except on an actual DNA test.)  In fact, there are places where the at-puberty ones are even common--I remember reading somewhere, about this one island or small village with an isolated population, so they were fairly inbred.  And this means that normally rare recessive traits show up more often in their population.  There's this one intersex condition where you appear OUTWARDLY female your whole life...until puberty, at which point the (blank) grows and kinda reforms into a (different blank).  The natives of this area even have a slang name for this--it translates as:  "P***s at Twelve". 

Then there's the story (not the only one, I'm guessing) of the little girl who was told at age 8 or 9, somewhere around there, that she had cancer on her ovaries and had to get them removed _now_ or she might DIE.  Turns out...the parents actually wanted to remove the kid's _testicles_ before they descended at puberty.  Yeah, leaving that alone to happen would also be startling as heck!, but I dunno, traumatising your kid by telling them they have cancer...?  Yikes.  (The story in question was being told _by_ the kid, who was NOT happy.  Understandably.)

Anyway, now that we're starting to be able to _get_ statistics on this properly, it seems that intersex people are roughly 1% of the population?  Which sounds small, but bear in mind we're talking about 1% of over SEVEN BILLION, so it's not a non-existent number of people.  

The A in LGBTQIA+ stands for Asexual...which is an orientation whose existence kind of makes sense if you think about it.  It...completes the basic set.  We have Different (straight), Same (homosexual), Both/All (bi/pan) and...None!  Called "Ace" for short in The Community, and pretty much any time a Youtuber or such even acknowledges their existence, you'll see a whole lot of "YES!  THANK YOU!  Ace pride, mah peeps!  Up top!" in the chat/comments/tweets etc.

I personally have an old friend who once told me she might be asexual...but she had also expressed romantic attraction to several male characters in things we both watched or read, in previous conversations.  This isn't really a contradiction--asexual and aROMANTIC are two different things, and it's not at all uncommon among that segment of the population to _like_ people of a certain kind or type, want to have relationships with them...but not actually want to BANG them.  Is this a problem with the other person? Yeah, it can be, which is why you talk these things out ahead of time.

As for non-binary pronouns...my problem isn't that they exist, or that people want to be called by them sometimes.  If someone tells me a non-standard pronoun I'll try my best to remember it and call that person that.  I might slip sometimes.  New words don't get memorised immediately by the brain.  And misgendering somebody by pure ACCIDENT can happen to the wokest of the woke.  It's only once you _know_ what that person prefers to be called--like, if they've told you this REPEATEDLY--and you still deliberately mess it up.  When you do that, you're basically trying to...erase them.  Like, "You aren't who _you_ say you are, silly person!  You're what _I_ say you are!"  That's why it's beyond rude.

No, my main problem is simply that the new pronouns SOUND...weird, clunky, "made up".  Sure, _all_ language was made up at some point, but I prefer to go with the singular "they".  It may not be grammatically perfect, but at least it's a known, real word, and has a long history (going back to Shakespeare's time)!  Also, as has been pointed out, there's times when EVERYBODY has used this without even thinking about it. The typical example goes something like this:

(after some kind of get-together)  PERSON A:  Hey, do you know who left this (item) here?

PERSON B:  No...

PERSON A: Well if they show up and ask for it, give it to them.

See?  In that case it's not even political correctness--it's just that Person A doesn't KNOW the gender of whoever left the thing behind.  (shrug)

And I don't think anybody has ever _seriously_ identified as an attack helicopter--that's just a dumb joke.  And now I'm remembering that one bit in an old Contrapoints video...

CONTRA:  (watching computer screen)  They identify as an attack helicopter?  (pause)  HA HA HA! That's _hilarious_!  That helicopter would never be used in combat.

;)

Really, if you think of gender as a spectrum the same way sexuality is...I think a lot of the new pronouns/terms are people trying to figure out where they fit on _that_ spectrum, and put a name on it.  Because sometimes a label helps.  You can say "That.  There."  (point to it)  "That's where I fit in.  That's how I think of myself."  Also...it's not really just a newschool, hippie, new wavey kind of thing.  Some other cultures have had a non-binary gender option for a LONG time.  Hundreds of years.  Maybe over a thousand?  There's the Native American "two-spirit", for example, and that's literally as "western" as you get (from the European-colonists-sailing-west standpoint, anyway). 

Me, I say, corporations and such don't necessarily even have to TRY to remember and write down all of the newer gender name options when they, for example, give people a survey to fill out.  I mean, even the people in The Community don't fully agree on all the names and definitions yet!  It's still a new thing, still being hashed out.  

No, just include an OTHER option, and that'll be plenty for now.  Just acknowledge that third genders exist _in general_, and you're good to go.

Or, the Cliff's Notes version, for those who don't want to read my ramblings (it's the eternal struggle, with me--how to tell enough of something to avoid being misunderstood because I left something important out, vs. telling it shortly enough that people WILL actually read it):

--I in this case stands for "intersex", and can refer to any one of a number of different chromosomal configurations where the body's physical sex characteristics are not one of the two standards.  Said traits can show at birth, at puberty, or stay totally internal.

--A means Asexual, as in, not sexually attracted to _anybody_.  They can, however, still fall in love/feel romantic attraction to some people. Aromantic also exists, and is a seperate thing.

Other gender pronouns aren't fully agreed on yet anyway so I just go with the singular "they".  It's not perfectly grammatical, but at least it's better than those people who say "LITERALLY" when they just want to emphasise something.  (Sorry, that's a personal pet peeve of mine.  : P)

...Notorious

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Last time it cut off mid-sentence 'cos I accidentally sent it early, and then while I was trying to fix it, MY COMPUTER RESTARTED WITHOUT WARNING!  So now I'm paranoid.  Excuse me a moment, then I shall properly explain the I and A, as I understand them.

It's okay, done that a couple of times. I know why they use pumpkin(the LBTQ+ community), seen it on twitter and heard Mr Atheist talk about it a little. Watched a Shannon Q video explaining the pumkin thing. 

Archived