Wormwood Arrives June 6th!

1 hour ago, Stonetribe said:

Yay! Plant boi is almost here~

I forget, Wormwood is going to be considered one of the "new" characters coming to DST while Warly will be considered one of the "refreshes", correct?

Seems so.

I'm not a pro at balancing games and stuff, but after reading what everyone has had to say so far on Wormwood, here's kind of what I would like to see from this new(-ish?) character:

• Wormwood can plant Seeds directly in the ground without using Farms.
  • When above 20 Wetness, Wormwood regains Health at a slow rate. 
  • In Spring, Wormwood blossoms, gaining increased movement speed, increased Health regeneration when wet and attracting Bees.
  • Wormwood loses Hunger at a much faster rate during night time.
  • Certain passive and neutral mobs will follow Wormwood around. Eye Plants are friendly to Wormwood.
  • Wormwood has a Green Thumb crafting tab: 
    • Living Logs can be created at the cost of 20 Health.
    • Bramble Husk provides 75% Armor and shoots out thorns when hit, dealing 33 damage in a small radius. The wearer is also protected from thorns. Slowly repairs over time when Wet.
    • Bramble Trap shoots out Thorns when triggered, dealing 50 damage in a small radius.
    • Bramble Wall is a new kind of wall that has up to 300 health. Upon being damaged, the wall shoots out thorns, dealing 33 damage in a small radius. During Spring, the wall regenerates health at a slow rate.
    • Bramble Bomb: Similar to the Hearthsfire Crystals, can be thrown to deal 60 damage in a similar radius. 
    • Compost Wrap restores 30 health to Wormwood. Can also be used as a very potent fertilizer.
  • Wormwood can use Manure, Guano, or Bucket-o-Poop to fertilize himself, restoring 8, 16, or 8 health, respectively.
  • Health-restoring food does not affect Wormwood's health.
  • Rot restores 5 health and 2 Hunger when eaten by Wormwood.
  • Wormwood takes 25% more damage from fire, and burns for slightly longer.
  • Wormwood loses sanity when plants are destroyed near him (e.g. picking flowers, completely chopping or burning down trees, digging up stumps, grass, saplings, or bushes, etc.) This excludes plants that are diseased or already burnt.
  • Sanity effects from planting or destroying plants is reduced the further it happens from Wormwood.
  • Wormwood gains sanity when plants are planted near him (e.g. seeds, flowers, trees, grass, saplings, or bushes, etc.)
  • Plants within (insert however large Ice Flingo range is) of Wormwood grow 25% faster (does not stack with Spring boost).

A lot of the changed I suggest revolve around the idea of plants Photosynthesizing and Respirating throughout the day, with water facilitating that process and Night hindering that. For health regeneration, I was thinking that when at 20 Wetness, 1 HP is regained per minute to a maximum of 10 when at 100 Wetness. During Spring, this would likely increase to 2 HP/min when at 20 and 15 HP/min when at 100. 

The passive/neutral mob following Wormwood was thought of with a Disney Princess in mind. Birds, Beefalo, Rabbits, etc. will land near and follow Wormwood because he looks like food but won't try to take a bite of him. Bees will follow in order to pollinate and possibly increase Wormwood's health a bit if he stands still while the bee lands on him. These mobs will lose interest after a certain amount of time and/or distance. 

I added two items to the Green Thumb tab, being the Bramble Walls and Bomb. The latter was mostly to incorporate the cool idea of Brambles from Hamlet, which restricted access to parts of the map but here they act as a great defensive barrier, though risky due to Fire Hounds and friends. The Bomb was inspired by the Hearthsfire Crystals, which were such a cool concept in The Forge that I really would love to see them again. 

Added health gain from fertilizing itself is nice, since it has very few other sources and I feel like it would make sense. I also really dislike the no-health from food debuff, but considering how many other sources for Health I gave him, I think it should be okay. Especially Rot!

I didn't change Seed planting because I'm honestly not sure how you could change something like that. My only suggestion would be to have a chance for the plant to wither and/or produce rot or grass, with an increasing chance the more plants are nearby. 

This is bad practice in general, but tagging @JoeW in hopes of him seeing this and taking some of the changes into account. Other suggestions are welcome, too!

8 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Technically they are not, I hope they end up being canon though. Warly as well.

8 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

I wonder if any person other than me thinks that Wormwood, just like Wortox, isn't canon.

they said "not part of the main story"

so i think a good comparison would be mole worms they aren't stated in the story yet because they don't alter it they can exist

though having them in future story events would put a smile on my face

8 hours ago, WkingDisaster said:

Wormwood's advantage can be minimized by building tons of farms, but his disadvantage cannot be mitigated in any way. It's a trade off between hunger and health, and obviously they are not equal.

I thought they could buff wormwood a bit after it's overwhelming downsides in Hamlet, apparently they did not!

Unless you are a perfect fighting machine that can kite boss with 0 damages taken, you will need a stack of nitres to make healing items for every big boss you fight. You won't have any rocks left in your map, and you will have to mine at least 20 petrified trees every season just for boss fight.

Unless, they change the recipes for compost wraps to exclude the need for nitre.

but you can mass pick up poop by feeding werepigs light bulbs for stacks of poop

40 bulbs = 40 poop

Wormwood heals 2 hp per poop

80 hp for a stack of light bulbs

you can also use healing salves or honey poultice sleep or use a Wortox

22 minutes ago, Salient said:

(snip)

he was perfectly fine in DSH these are way too powerful just buff the bramble armor

maybe some rain resist but other than that would just be more op than Wicker at that point

7 hours ago, WkingDisaster said:

will interrupt you before your action is done. On the other hand, you can eat food very quickly.

Mate just yeet your friends into it as meat shields while you heal up and Wortox can't be interrupted so you can heal during a fight

I feel like his "plants like him" perk isn't going to be usefull at all. I can see 2 ways Klei could deal with it:

-Some special interactions between Wormwood and Treeguards (all kind)

-Klei adding more hostile plant-animal hybrids which would be affected by Wormwoods perk. They've already started it with the lunar islands.

2 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

they said "not part of the main story"

so i think a good comparison would be mole worms they aren't stated in the story yet because they don't alter it they can exist

though having them in future story events would put a smile on my face

wait what

when did they say that

5 hours ago, Salient said:

-snip-

Wormwood is already one of the more bloated characters. This is a bit much.

Plus you could easily abuse the water suggestion via plank on a boat. Instant full wetness. 

59 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

7 days before my birthday... I think that's close enough to count as a present.

Happy early birthday, dude! Wormwood would be a 6 day early birthday present for me! :wilson_blush:

I'm honestly super excited to be having him explore his way into DST! I've always been super interested in his lore about where he came from, and hopefully his short will answer it! I hope him being over in DST will give him some deeper lines of dialogue, as, I hate to admit it, his lines in Hamlet felt a bit lackluster ;O;

I'm also super excited for his skins! I'm really glad that Wormwood is getting a Roseate skin; this is very fitting, thank you Klei!

11 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

but you can mass pick up poop by feeding werepigs light bulbs for stacks of poop

40 bulbs = 40 poop

Wormwood heals 2 hp per poop

80 hp for a stack of light bulbs

you can also use healing salves or honey poultice sleep or use a Wortox

two or more days of work for 80 hp... 

15 minutes ago, WkingDisaster said:

two or more days of work for 80 hp... 

Or you can use other things like spider gland, Honey Poultice(bandage), Healing Salve.

Can also sleep during the night. Some things might get buffed for Wormwood?

Alright so I been seeing a lot of people asking for Wormwood to regen hp from wetness now heres the thing, thats really broken.
Now however I am not saying he shouldn't get at least something from wetness but hp would be very broken more so then ever because of the boats. So heres what I'm thinking have him not lose sanity from wet gear and not lose sanity from wetness until above 50% or so because after that much he would be getting over watered, this way its still "realistic" without being broken.
Now if they want to go even further with this idea, they could make it so his hunger is slowed the more wetness he has up until 100% where then it would be the same as a Belt of Hunger or Funcap.
Another idea for getting over watered would be for him to slowly lose health, however I don't think this would be a good idea.

edit: I should say I think hes fine the way he is right now however I do think he should have gotten one new craftable to make up for the Poison Balm probably getting removed because there is no poison in DST... unless thats changing?

Archived