Wormwood Arrives June 6th!

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

But don't forget that any other non-food healing items also works on him, so you could very well quickly aim for spider glands (8 hp) Healing Poultice (20 hp) and Honey Poultice (30 hp). Sleeping, and a friendly Wortox, could also be a thing. And for the everyday tiny heal on the go, where most players use butterflies, he can use stacks poop and rot. Just 4 poop/rot equals a butterfly. 
Mid to lategame healing: Jellybeans (despite the name they are a healing item and not a food, so it should affect him)

The reason those non-food healing items aren't that useful is because it took 2 seconds to complete the healing action and get healed compared to immediate effect of eating a healing food,can't be interrupted. During battle, your healing action either being interrupted (e.g.hounds), or it took too long to heal, and boss gains back its hp (Klaus, I tired healing poultice long time ago).

And those non food healing items require more time to collect resources. Healing Poultice is completely useless during battle (too long to apply, too little healing), Honey Poultice took forever to collect materials, not everyone is wickbottom, and you can't complete your healing action when you are near a boss, it will interrupt you before your action is done. On the other hand, you can eat food very quickly.

Every other healing is all good after battle, but the only time we really need food healing is during the battle, which wormhole is completely deprived of

the only problem I see is stuff like a wormwood bringin in a swarm of hostile spring bees into a base. and Wormwood losing all sanity just being near woodie/maxwell/willow. or as mentioned stuff like Toadstool and fighting bosses in general. All thought I guess we'll see how its actually works in game. Since playing wormwood alone is a completely different story than with buddies

I doubt I'll get a response from klei for this question but...

For modder purposes, does Wormwood use his name for strings?

Like if I wanted to make a modded item have wormwood quotes would the following work?

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WORMWOOD.DESCRIBE.MODITEM = "<Wormwood's description of mod item goes here>"

Thinking of pre-emptively doing wormwood quotes for Quoitimizer.

4 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

I doubt I'll get a response from klei for this question but...

For modder purposes, does Wormwood use his name for strings?

Like if I wanted to make a modded item have wormwood quotes would the following work?

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WORMWOOD.DESCRIBE.MODITEM = "<Wormwood's description of mod item goes here>"

Thinking of pre-emptively doing wormwood quotes for Quoitimizer.

Check his singleplayer prefab name, I see no reason for it to be different in DST.

On the off chance that it will be different for some weird reason, it'd be pretty easy to change/fix the strings. (ctrl f and search "wormwood" and fix the ones that pop up)

14 minutes ago, Old Man Rainy said:

Will owners of Hamlet receive the roseate skin free? 

Stop giving Klei ideas, they are too nice for their own good and give more stuff to us for free.

38 minutes ago, humanbean said:

The only upside to him is more living logs...rest is pretty meh.

Exactly. But even then, it's mostly an early game bonus since you don't really run out of living logs after day 100.

9 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Being able to plant seeds everywhere on its own is pretty broken. 

Sure it's handy, but food is so easy to get and other farming methods for it are so easy to maintain. To me his downsides just outweigh his upsides.

If anything make his armor slightly more protection than Log Suits, and only he can wear it (so your only purpose is not crafting them for others). A slight sanity/HP regen in rain and/or daylight would be okay. Sure getting loads of poop/rot for heals isn't hard, but if an upside is saving time getting resources (no farms needed), but you have to spend more time farming something else (more alternate heal items + sanity alternatives), it kind of nulls the upside.

8 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Being able to plant seeds everywhere on its own is pretty broken. 

zdhw8a17jhf21.thumb.png.f5f8736e730a0f7c6c95b27e8917ec3b.png

Not sure how people can't see how this is broken. Where's the effort? (Also thanks /u/Lithpingly for the screenshot.) It was fine for Wormwood himself since Crops alone are useless for him. With other players however? They have a use, which completely changes things.

5 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wormwood can be unlocked in the following ways:

• Wormwood is available for free for all owners of Don't Starve Hamlet on Steam.

Is this still the case post-June 6th? For example, if I buy Hamlet on the 7th, will I get Wormwood if I haven't unlocked him yet?

Okay, I haven't tested WormWood yet but I can see how his ability to plant everywhere could be a problem, however that is one of his signature traits, they could restrict his ability to plant everywhere at any time to just being able to do it during the morning when the night turns to day.

He is meant to be a plant and plants are meant to be active during the day, that's when they are meant to do their work, so it would make sense for him to only being able to plant during the day and rest at night.

It would make a pretty interesting mechanic if he was slower during the night but he healed 1 hit point per 5 seconds, because that's technically what plants do, they breath the oxygen they produce during night time, they are 

4 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

TBH I would nerf the seed planting but give him benefits for being wet. Wormwood is a plant, why does being wet negatively effect him to the same extent as other characters? He even gets excited when it rains.

This.

Maybe allow him to keep his wetness more so than other characters, such as the wetness meter draining 50% or more slower, since the meter can go from 100 to 0 in in a good few minutes even without a fire.

2 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

TBH I would nerf the seed planting 

why tho... it's a nice unique feature and tbh farms aren't the best thing in the world to consider this an issue at all

4 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

but give him benefits for being wet. Wormwood is a plant, why does being wet negatively effect him to the same extent as other characters? He even gets excited when it rains.

he already gets speed bonus in spring from blooming. I think that's good enough for a boost.

1 hour ago, KCDA said:

zdhw8a17jhf21.thumb.png.f5f8736e730a0f7c6c95b27e8917ec3b.png

I'm not sure if this was the best image choice. That's a lot of aloe.

16 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

TBH I would nerf the seed planting but give him benefits for being wet. Wormwood is a plant, why does being wet negatively effect him to the same extent as other characters? He even gets excited when it rains.

It's possible to over-water a plant.

1 hour ago, SeriousSteel said:

It would make a pretty interesting mechanic if he was slower during the night but he healed 1 hit point per 5 seconds, because that's technically what plants do, they breath the oxygen they produce during night time, they are 

A speed debuff that can't be controlled is one of the worst downsides you can give a character. It makes every single task slower, including exploration and combat. Most importantly, it's not a fun downside to work around. Just look at Wilbur.

Just now, Sunset Skye said:

It's possible to over-water a plant.

This is true, but this same plant happens to come from a world where magic exists. :wilson_shocked:

I guess maybe you would only start suffering like everyone else after 50 moisture has been attained? :?:

7 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wormwood-Wallpaper-Announce.png

wormwood_tease.jpg

The full moon in the background of the first image, and pieces of the moon in the bottom left corner of the second image (well, I see craters)...

I had been theorizing that the moon had something to do with him, so this is definitely interesting.

Archived