Wormwood Arrives June 6th!

Okay, so I went back to have a look at the Wormwood and Warly promo art images that came with the beta, and the background in Warly's teaser fits perfectly with the upcoming short's style.

Perhaps Warly will be featured in Wormwood's short? It's not like it's impossible, Wilson and Wes were shown in Possessions.

comparison.png

I am wondering how Toadstool fights will be with Wormwood. If he loses sanity from removing sporecaps it would be hard for us then please give him immunity to the sporeclouds.

EDIT: AT least Klei is giving some lore. Wormwood in Hamlet was ... just there.

I am very excited about this! great news!

Just my 2 cents on the rebalance: I don't see his bramble husk armor being that useful in DST with those stats, specially as an incentive for other non Wormwood players to want to use it, for any other than picking cactii once and then. 

The reasoning is that generally speaking the average player rarely uses body armor, and if they do, is to either add durability to the helmet, or because they have a very protective armor (thul armor, bone armor, marble armor, night armor). Just 65% protection and (taking into account the DST armor resistance reduction) about grass suit durability would not be appealing enough to me to request one of those armors, whereas, if I have a Wigfrid player around I'll immediately request a helmet.

Of course we have to yet see how the defensive thorns system goes in DST, but judging from trying the modded version of Wormwood (which is, more or less, about the same) the armor quickly becomes a semi-useless item in a DST environment, where better armor are quickly available.

I'd either increase it's durability quite a lot (more than a log suit, maybe at a marble armor level) so it does stay on you for a while, or increase it's defensive protection to at least log suit tier (80%).

However, even if his armor ends up being useless, he does have some great team oriented perks which will come handy to any team, so its still going to be a great character. Nevertheless, why add an item being not so useful from the beginning? my point is that maybe we're still on time to adress this.

Just now, ShadowDuelist said:

snip!

I could only really see the Bramble armor being useful for someone like Wigfrid or Wolfgang to tank with, but only in pretty situational situations, like maybe putting it on and eating a few bee hits to kill all bees in a tile radius, tanking a few hounds at once, etc.

Just now, Terra M Welch said:

Wormwood + Wortox.

Literally turn butterflies into living logs.

Just a thought.

Living logs will become so common it won't even be a sin to burn them at the firepit for fuel! :wilson_ecstatic:

27 minutes ago, R00KIE said:

Ok, então eu voltei para dar uma olhada nas imagens de arte promo do Wormwood e Warly que vieram com o beta, e o fundo no teaser de Warly se encaixa perfeitamente com o estilo do próximo curta.

Talvez Warly seja apresentado no curta de Wormwood? Não é como se fosse impossível, Wilson e Wes foram mostrados em Possessions.

comparison.png

Perhaps, Warly was a friend of Wormwood and he has observed the transformation of it? I also found biomes similar.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Wormwood-Wallpaper-Announce.png

Wormwood the Lonesome is set to arrive in the Constant next week!

Here are his details: (Some details may change before launch but this is what we are expecting. Notable changes in DST are marked with an asterisk*)

• Wormwood can plant Seeds directly in the ground without using Farms.
  • In Spring, Wormwood blossoms, gaining increased movement speed, draining hunger faster, and attracting Bees.
  • Eye Plants are friendly to Wormwood.
  • Wormwood has a Green Thumb crafting tab:
    • Living Log can be created at the cost of 20 Health.
    • Bramble Husk provides 65% Armor and shoots out thorns when hit, dealing 23 damage in a small radius.  The wearer is also protected from thorns.
    • Bramble Trap shoots out Thorns when triggered, dealing 40 damage in a small radius.
    • Compost Wrap restores 30 Health to Wormwood.  It can also be used as a very potent fertilizer. *
  • Wormwood can use Manure, Guano, or Bucket-o-poop to fertilize himself, restoring 2 Health.
  • Food items do not heal Wormwood.
  • Wormwood takes 25% more damage from fire, and burns for slightly longer.*
  • Wormwood loses sanity when plants are destroyed near him (e.g. picking flowers, completely chopping or burning down trees, digging up stumps, grass, saplings, or bushes, etc.)  This excludes plants that are diseased or already burnt.
  • Wormwood gains sanity when plants are planted near him (e.g. seeds, flowers, trees, grass, saplings, or bushes, etc.)
  • Sanity effects from planting or destroying plants is reduced the further it happens from Wormwood.*

Wormwood can be unlocked in the following ways:

• Wormwood is available for free for all owners of Don't Starve Hamlet on Steam.
  • Wormwood is available for purchase for $6.99 in the Wormwood Chest. Wormwood's Roseate skin set is included in this chest for free.
  • The Wormwood Deluxe Chest is $10.99 and includes Wormwood and the Roseate, Oasis Bound and Hollow skin sets.
  • You can weave Wormwood for 2700 spool.

And of course, we will have a new Wormwood animated short and more details When Wormwood launches  on June 6th. But for now, here is a nice image from the next animated short!

wormwood_tease.jpg

@JoeW Same date for consoles?

Uhm the synergy with Wortox unbalanced. It's ok that Wortox can heal and Wormwood can make living logs. But Wortox had a good perk to begin with. Can you think he could get an extra disadvantage? He should feel bad to kill all these butterflies and bees for souls.

I mean, Wormwood can already just sleep for health anyway. (It's incredibly cheap with a siesta lean-to) It's not actually particularly hard to heal him once you've got some silk. At least in DST it takes some time so it doesn't feel 100% free? XD

Let's see, DST Wormwood is... living log machine, thorn traps, and free farm plots. Not bad... bramble traps get incredibly cheap to mass-produce once you're decently established, which is nice, and making it even easier to make lots of dark swords is kinda cool. His farm plots are a nice early/midgame food boost before you have more than you know what to do with.

And he can do the eyeplant shenanigans easier?

Wormwood's advantage can be minimized by building tons of farms, but his disadvantage cannot be mitigated in any way. It's a trade off between hunger and health, and obviously they are not equal.

I thought they could buff wormwood a bit after it's overwhelming downsides in Hamlet, apparently they did not!

Unless you are a perfect fighting machine that can kite boss with 0 damages taken, you will need a stack of nitres to make healing items for every big boss you fight. You won't have any rocks left in your map, and you will have to mine at least 20 petrified trees every season just for boss fight.

Unless, they change the recipes for compost wraps to exclude the need for nitre.

26 minutes ago, WkingDisaster said:

Unless you are a perfect fighting machine that can kite boss with 0 damages taken, you will need a stack of nitres to make healing items for every big boss you fight. You won't have any rocks left in your map, and you will have to mine at least 20 petrified trees every season just for boss fight.

With Winona around, or any other player interested to make booster shots or explosives, nitre can become a limitant factor to make a ton of his healing items.

But don't forget that any other non-food healing items also works on him, so you could very well quickly aim for spider glands (8 hp) Healing Poultice (20 hp) and Honey Poultice (30 hp). Sleeping, and a friendly Wortox, could also be a thing. And for the everyday tiny heal on the go, where most players use butterflies, he can use stacks poop and rot. Just 4 poop/rot equals a butterfly. 
Mid to lategame healing: Jellybeans (despite the name they are a healing item and not a food, so it should affect him)

The two things I would change about Wormwood in this state now would be making his planted crops wither a day after maturing and giving him functionality with Wickerbottom's "Applied Horticulture". Or alternatively over the first change as a friend of mine came up with once have fully mature plants planted by Wormwood able to be eaten by birds, so that they'll have to require constant watch in order to keep them (Possibly giving the scarecrow new functionality to ward away birds with this would be cool too, but given how that seems to attract rather then ward away birds at the moment I'd say probably not on that).

Other then that, I'm quite happy with all the other changes! Though if we were talking perks I'd like to see changed a bit more extensively in a possible later character refresh, I'd like to see blooming overhauled somewhat. I still feel like its a rather barebones perk honestly and it really needs a way to be activated outside of spring.

(I brought up ideas regarding how blooming could be made more interesting and how it could be activated outside of spring here back in Hamlet's Early-Access along with other things I believe would have been nice for the character. Might even make a new thread like this one later after I try Wormwood in DST next week if I come up with some more interesting ideas):

P.S: He better have real battlecrys for different mobs this time Klei. i still don't get why you had to make his only battlecry in every situation "Attack!". It felt so lazy honestly...

8 minutes ago, Portmanteau said:

The two things I would change about Wormwood in this state now would be making his planted crops wither a day after maturing .... Or alternatively over the first change as a friend of mine came up with once have fully mature plants planted by Wormwood able to be eaten by birds, so that they'll have to require constant watch in order to keep them (Possibly giving the scarecrow new functionality to ward away birds with this would be cool too, but given how that seems to attract rather then ward away birds at the moment I'd say probably not on that)

really don't think Wormwood's crops need a nerf. What's the point of the crops withering or being eaten by birds? Is the ability to have some farm food stored through non-summer seasons really powerful enough to deserve that? If so, should this nerf also apply to regular farm plots? Out of all of Wormwood's perks, I don't understand why this is the one people seem to get hung up on.

I honestly only think there needs to be a way for players to dig up the crops prematurely, incase a griefer wormwood purposefully plants a crop in the way of something.

Also just thought of this, Wortox has The Survivor skin and Wormwood is getting The Roseate, will the next paid character have GoH or Triumphant?

Just now, mr_kiwo said:

ps: Wilba for DST is not a bad idea

The final nail in the coffin for ol' Woodie. :wilson_tranquil:

Better at chopping trees - Maxwell (DST), Wagstaff (DS)

Better sanity from planting stuff - Wormwood

A better Werebeaver - Wilba (DS)

Refresh - Warly. :wilson_sneaky:

Archived