Make No Mistakes, Take No Unnecessary Risks: New Difficulty Balance Discussion

Sliver

Very well said Perpetual_Sin regarding winter.Winter in its current state is a ridiculously tough challenge. I find myself hunker down near the campfire about 90% of the time just to keep warm. I can't do anything nor venture out to find food because I don't have the Koalefant Trunk to make the Breezy Vest. All I can make is the Winter Hat. Gathering materials for crafting winter items is a bit difficult as finding the Koalefant takes time, especially if you aren't prepare ahead of time (playing through first winter) and if there aren't any Beefalo around then you're pretty much out of luck trying to survive winter. Winter feels like it's bringing the game back to its beginning stage when the beta began during which at night time all you do is hunker down near your campfire and doing nothing (just stand there waiting for day to come), which gets boring really fast (especially if you have to do it for so many days of winter). Now it's no different. Just stand near your campfire waiting for winter to pass but in the meantime you have to worry about finding food and defending yourself against hounds. To say that it's a challenge would be an understatement.This pretty much sums up winter:(1) You are prepared (you will survive)or(2) You are not prepared (frustration and anger before you die)If this is your first time experiencing winter and you're playing it fresh then you will most likely not be prepare for it. You won't have the food stocked and you won't have the materials to make winter clothing. The freezing damage is ridiculously fast once you venture far enough from your camp you will die literally in 20-25 seconds it seems, depending on how low your health is. Knowing this, the only way to combat winter is when you start a fresh new world you better gather all the necessary materials and stock up on food before winter hit otherwise you won't stand a chance. If I could change one thing I would make it so that crafting winter clothes wouldn't be such a chore. The materials needed to craft the clothes should be readily available to find so that we don't spend so much time wasted on finding one key ingredient and forget about other necessary survival things/activity.

Edited by MaximusBootyus

Well, you are not supose to "breeze" through winter the first time it arrives. You can use the first days of winter to get the koalaphant trunk and make a vest. You can also hunt for monster meat during winter and turn it into eggs.As for adventure mode, you should be looking to escape each world as fast as possible, you can escape the first world before winter (easier if you have the librarian). Atleast that's what I try to do.

Well, you are not supose to "breeze" through winter the first time it arrives. You can use the first days of winter to get the koalaphant trunk and make a vest. You can also hunt for monster meat during winter and turn it into eggs.As for adventure mode, you should be looking to escape each world as fast as possible, you can escape the first world before winter (easier if you have the librarian). Atleast that's what I try to do.

Turn Monster meat into eggs? How do i do this?Anyways Now that im more used to it Winter isn't TOO bad as long as you can find beefalo (Also i learned that Beefalo hat was warmer than winter hat so that helped alot) and now that they fixed Koalephant trails so that they don't go over oceans and other stupid crap.I feel like theres certainly alot of stuff you kinda have to do real fast before winter arrives though. I still haven't found the pig king in my world nor do i know where any Igloo camps are so i suppose i won't be getting a Tam o" Shanter this winter (Probably wouldn't be able to get it anyways since i forgot to stock up for fire darts, that bugger kites you with blow darts he's really annoying to fight without fire darts...), but i did get all the way up to my meat effigy and i have a shadow manipulator already.Idk, my only complaint right now even though the game seems harder than ever is that the worlds are too big and that it takes too long to find everything you need sometimes.