But are the characters virtuous or mediocre and selfish?

What characters do you consider morally deplorable based on your moral principles?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What characters do you consider morally deplorable based on your moral principles?

Just now, Pop Guy said:

We have two visions of the thing a little different, that's okay :'D

However Wendy is Maxwell's nephew, it seems to be a family gift being "Machiavellian" :D

image.thumb.png.50efd6f7f055131306adad5bafbf8dda.png

(By Kaddson of Deviantart)

Nope. I don't have another vision. I just go by the evidence and u go about suppositions.

Just because a person is related to another is no argument for saying they share the same personality. Sorry but this is just a very flawed argument that doesn't really say anything about Wendy. Even brothers can be very different from each other even if they share similar parents and growing up conditions. 

3 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

"M...maybe I'll doodle something... When no one's looking."

She's not happy all the time, but she still has some fun.

Reveal hidden contents

Feather Hat - "Ca-caw!"

depressed =/= not happy

I never said she was faking the whole thing, I said we she was faking an aspect of it (likely as a result of her depression).

Based on what? 

2 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Nope. I don't have another vision. I just go by the evidence and u go about suppositions.

Just because a person is related to another is no argument for saying they share the same personality. Sorry but this is just a very flawed argument that doesn't really say anything about Wendy. Even brothers can be very different from each other even if they share similar parents and growing up conditions. 

I was ironic, you haven't seen the smiley face? :D:D:D

1 minute ago, S19TealPenguin said:

All right, I'm just going to move this convo about Wendy to pms. Let's get back to the virtuosity of the Survivors ok?

But if you find any other interesting quotation then share it with all of us, mere mortals :'D

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

WX-78
As I've said in the previous thread, I've never really seen WX-78 as dangerous. Dare I say I see him as somewhat tsundere. WX-78 says a lot of concerning stuff but he's very wishy washy. He may dislike "fleshlings", but not all of them. Certain ones are good. If you want to use a debatable example his own quote for himself as an "attacker": "TIME TO ELIMINATE THE %s VIRUS".

In other words, talking about murder is fine, but actually carrying it out is bad, supposedly.

I've always related WX to bender in that one episode of futurama where he loses fry.

All those times... I said "kill all humans"... I'd always whisper "except one". Fry was that one.

Just replace the word fry with all his friends in the constant

Well, I dunno about deep interpretations of everyone.  I will say, however, that this poll needs to be broken up more individually and that most people are morally grey.  But as for WENDY...

Forget the discussion of whether or not she's depressed (she is)--she outright SAYS that she _likes to hurt small things_.  There's talk in her quotes about enjoying death and suffering, as in, causing it to helpless entities.  So...when it comes to figuring out their moral compasses, that's the strongest indicator that leaps to my mind.  Yeah, she's a kid, her brain isn't done developing, blah blah but...DUDE! 

Maxwell WAS evil but I think he pretty much reformed, WX was programmed that way, and does "evil" _you can't help_ count as evil?  And then we get into intent and free will and whatnot.  Willow is out of her mind, but strikes me as a basically decent person. And Wigfrid is the most weirdly..._eco-friendly_ carnivore I've ever seen.  : P  Wilson?  Well, he's apparently shoving some kind of potion down an unwilling duck(?)'s throat in his character portrait... Wolfgang, we don't know how much is actual dumbness and how much is broken English, but he strikes me as too much the big slow gentle giant type to be truly evil. But you know who could easily be the MOST evil of them all?

Wes.  Because, for everything all the others say..._we NEVER KNOW WHAT HE'S THINKING_.  Does (rides invisible bicycle), for example, mean "Greetings!" or "Come any closer and I'll slit your throat"?

Think about it... ;)

...Notorious

17 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Third: it was an accident, but Willow never shows remorse. Not even a little. This indicates that or she has removed the event (perhaps it was too traumatic); or she does not realize the gravity of the action she has taken.

"With the memories of her tragic past reignited.."

Reignited

I always had a headcannon where some characters had their memories removed upon entering the constant. Possibly willingly. Such characters are Woodie, Wigfrid and Willow. Possibly due to truamatic experiences, or to stay in-character.

Willows vignette also states that she sees being brought to the Constant as a blessing, as she was allowed to leave everything behind and start fresh.

She feels no remorse because she don't even remember these things happening, untill recently. These memories clearly upset her to a point where she tapped into formidable powers.

Every character is a mixed bag, most leaning towards what some might call "selfish" or "evil", but is more or less the same nuances as everyday people in the context of their horrible, supernaturally terrorized lives. The "why" behind their actions is very important to understanding who they are as people. 

Maxwell was arrogant and power hungry, prone to lashing out, saw others as beneath him, lives did not matter unless he made them matter. But I have reason to believe a great deal of this personality was entirely fabricated, made to be the dominating opposite to the harassed and failing William Carter. When Wilson gave a chance he showed that he actually did care - he cared about his creations in The Constant, he cared about his fellow survivors, he cared about Charlie. The throne is documented as being corruption to the whims of Them. This doesn't excuse the evils he has committed, but it shows he is far from the 1-Dimensional mastermind of evil portrayed in the beginning of Wilson's journey. He feels genuine remorse for his actions and shows he is changing for the better. 

Wilson has similar arrogance, and a desire for scientific glory regardless of the consequences. The hermit scientist before DS would have thought nothing of letting others perish for science. Freeing Maxwell and feeling the thrall of the Nightmare Throne were large parts to his decision to work with Maxwell, and somewhat forgive him. Through his quotes and the trailers we see how much he cares about his fellow survivors despite their quirks and possibly darkened pasts. He went from a mad scientist to a team leader. This doesn't mean he didn't experiment on animals, it doesn't erase his ambitions of intellectual superiority. But it is clear he regards his new family higher than forbidden knowledge. 

Wendy suffers horribly from the loss of her twin, and there is no doubt she has depression. Much of her desire to kill small things comes from the ability to resurrect Abby, though may partially allude to a desire to take her grief and frustration out on lesser lives. I think a lot of the suspicion towards her comes from not understanding depression and loss, as well as associating her with Maxwell in a darker aspect. Perhaps her desire for violence is less than ideal and her cold nature not quite endearing, but she isn't a sociopath or monster. As for the quill quote, she very likely wanted to sketch her sister, which is very private to her. Or maybe she thought if she asked for the quill for drawing she would be denied due to resource management, therefore she planned to sneak it away. Accusing her of faking the level of depression she has is exactly the mentality that has lead to rising teen suicides. Some of her quotes could be more in the way of dry humor. She may be morose and secretive, but she isn't manipulative. And so far her malice has only come against creatures of The Constant, not the survivors. 

Willow clearly has a past filled with trauma and tragedy. Fire literally saved her from a painful death so of course she would grow up attached to fire as her protection against the world. And, by extension, find beauty in the aftermath of fires. Not being harmed by fire has damaged her perception of the danger it poses towards others around her. She's very moody and sassy in her quotes, which is to be expected from someone orphaned and literally put through hell on Earth. The Constant was her escapism from every misfortune that plagued her - a place she was free to set fires without shame and attack, a place where she had a more even ground to fight Nightmares without seeming insane. And most of all, it became a place where she was accepted, attitude and pyromania, for who she was. 

On 5/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, Raspberry Shake said:

Maxwell is the only character I would classify as something else other than "some rando stuck in a demon world". He's a scheming, cruel, egotistical, charismatic puppet master. Neutral evil, the best actual character IMO.

Wagstaff is the only one there by choice and he's probably not even really there.

He built WX-78, the "evil" robot. He wants to cause the end of the world faster. He'd like to experience death. He went to the Constant for the magic and nightmare fuel so he can use them to "benefit" the world. Looks to me like he's the character most devoid of morals. I think he's worse than Maxwell is since his character development.

But the most troubling thing about him is that he wants to sit in the Nightmare Throne. That seems to be his goal from the start.

5cec50e325caa_Screenshot_2019-05-27Wagstaffquotes.thumb.png.a8bd8fa78a41d023ba54cfe4e52996ee.png

The way I could see him getting in DST story-wise is with a coup d'État against Charlie and taking the Throne for himself. (That would send Charlie as a survivor in the Constant as a bonus too) What would happen then when such a character sits in the Throne? I bet he would be able to use it more efficiently than Maxwell or Charlie ever could.

Spoiler

Leaked footage of Wagstaff after sitting in the throne.

17 minutes ago, DavePlaysDST said:

I think I misunderstood this poll, I choose the ones who have moral things, also proof of Wendy “carrying her own weight “ can literally be found in a quote for carrying a marble chunk

also wx has some moral for other robots

Wolfgang and Webber were immaculate, ahahah :'D

Archived