DelroyBM

Any unknown mechanic to share?

HowlVoid    2535
34 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

The idea of risking your life for a good reward makes a lot of sense with say, a raid boss, or a varg or spider queen. You put yourself into a dangerous situation, overcome the challenge, and get rewarded for that.

Are those all not categories the Rockjaw falls under?  

34 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Rockjaws are an active threat, though, like hound attacks. The reward is defending yourself, and... being alive. Also 4 fish meat, if you absolutely want to kill them.

However it does not even fullfil this roll successfully either. A threat that both has no good rewards and is bound to leave you alone eventually, can be regarded as a nuisance. 

I would like to point out also that gnarwails have an incredibly similar mechanic of losing interest once they lose their horn, and having to be actively lured back to kill them for 4 fish meat. Maybe it's less noticeable there because gnarwails drop a horn, but it does seem to be a theme of some ocean mobs to have a "leave" condition like this.

Yes, they share a behavior but that is where the similarities end. Every other mob in the ocean has incentive that may drive a player to interact with it. The gnarwail's horn will allow you to craft the trident, which in turn allows one to relocate kelp. Cookie cutters protect salt formations and generally easy to deal with if you need emergency food. Sea weeds have a weakness players can exploit in order to obtain their loot without even fighting.

As you can see, interactions can come in all sorts. The interaction one may want to have with the Rockjaw is generally not to have one at all. 

My perspective is that it would be a waste not give it loot when there are so many cool things that can come exclusively from this mob. It is a missed opportunity in my opinion. 

Fins (hat), shark teeth (crown,necklace), barnacles (armor/food), shark skin(clothing/armor), shark eyes (spyglass), etc...

• Like 3

Spino43    315

Agree, for a mob that has arguably one of the best designs in terms of visual, the drops are extremely underwhelming. Catching 4 eels is way easier, faster and safer than getting 4 fish meats from it. Even though Varg's loot also somewhat sucks, the ability to summon hounds makes it a worthwhile mob to farm. Ewecus sucks but at least its' drops can be useful for Beefalo tamers. But Rockjaws? You just want to sail away from them as they are nothing but nuisance.

• Like 4

Sunset Skye    11910
12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Hounds give life giving amulets, ice staves, fire staves, chilled amulets, character changes, salt boxes, blow darts, sewing kits, tooth traps, dapper vests (and the hibearnation vest), The End is Nighs, shadow manipulators, bat bats, two Walter ammunitions, telelocator staves & focuses, nightmare amulets, and the premier gardeneer hat.

If we're doing long lists of every possible use for a mob's drop, then rockjaws give surf n turf, fish sticks, fish tacos, jerky, saddlehorns, rain hats, eyebrellas, rain coats, buckets of poop, bone bullion, tackle receptacles, sandy turf, booster shots, mushroom planters, marsh turf, and compost bins. This isn't an ultimate own against my argument, because most every mob drops items with many uses. My point with the comparison is that rockjaws are meant as a threat that seeks you out, rather than a dangerous situation you put yourself into intentionally to get rewards from.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 1

ArubaroBeefalo    8839
3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

if you absolutely want to kill them

I rather not waste weapon durability  and time in a mob that is programmed to leave and can get buggy because his ia messy

I get that he is made to put you in risk (and eat your fishes like if there were specific shoals everywere) but is weird to have a mob that isnt worth to be fought, not because his loot, but because he leaves you alone

• Like 1

1moregame    74
41 minutes ago, Hornete said:

--Replace StartingTemp with well, your starting temperature!
--Replace winterInsulation with how much winter insulation you have
--Replace seconds with well, amount of seconds you wanna pass

StartingTemp + (-30 / (30 + winterInsulation)) * seconds

Wouldn't most players be more concerned with discovering how much time it takes to get to a specific temperature?  So I think the better version of this formula would be:

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (-30/(30 + winterInsulation))

ie. (0 - 40) / (-30 / (30 + 120)) = 200 seconds

Also curious, is it the same formula for summerInsulation?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hornete    8577
1 minute ago, 1moregame said:

Wouldn't most players be more concerned with discovering how much time it takes to get to a specific temperature?  So I think the better version of this formula would be:

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (-30/(30 + winterInsulation))

ie. (0 - 40) / (-30 / (30 + 120)) = 200 seconds

Also curious, is it the same formula for summerInsulation?  

Yeah that formula is a lot better, I did wanna come up with something like that but I'm not too great with math, thanks for it : ).

It's pretty much the same formula for summerInsulation! Only difference is the first negative 30 would be a positive value, so this would be the formula.

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (30/(30 + summerInsulation)) --nearly identical to the winterInsulation formula, but with the negative 30 as a positive 30

• Thanks 1

1moregame    74
3 hours ago, Hornete said:

Time = (EndingTemp - StartingTemp) / (30/(30 + summerInsulation)) --nearly identical to the winterInsulation formula, but with the negative 30 as a positive 30

So in winter, if you heat up to 60 and have a beefalo hat on you can go a full 9 minutes before freezing.  Summer would be the same if you can reliably get down to 10 degrees with the eyebrella you would have 9 minutes before needing additional cooling. 

• Big Ups 1

RoughCactus69    385
23 hours ago, Hornete said:

Just curious, where did you hear insulation value is equivalent to seconds of protection? It seems to be a well spread myth so i'm curious where it might have started.

I got it from the temperature counter itself. The temperature point went down once per second, although there could be roughly alot of variables that could go into it. 

When I sit by a fire after freezing, I count up by seconds, knowing how much time I have left until I freeze. 

Sincerely,

Cactus

Fridgetty    718
38 minutes ago, gaymime said:

works with bearger too though you'll need more than 5

you'll atleast need 300 red caps. 6000/20 = 300