Any unknown mechanic to share?

On 7/3/2019 at 3:54 AM, -Variant said:

I can't say it's a "Mechanic", so I put it in a spoiler.

It's just a neat little feature, I guess. Not many other places to share this with.

Hide contents

Players will use different hit animations depending on what they're hit by.
Standard makes the character jump up, as usual.

Getting hit by cave-in debris will have the character play a unique animation. (Looks like you're getting hit by something in the head. Expected.)

And Antlion spikes will send you flying into the air, too.

"Players will use different hit animations depending on what they're hit by." is a bit of a silly way to word this. ~98% of the damage sources in the game will cause the same generic hit animation, while antlion spikes and cave-in debris specifically have unique animations.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

"Players will use different hit animations depending on what they're hit by." is a bit of a silly way to word this. ~98% of the damage sources in the game will cause the same generic hit animation, while antlion spikes and cave-in debris specifically have unique animations.

Yes, much better wording, I wrote this ages ago while I was tired. I should probably update it real quick. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 27.5.2019 at 5:31 AM, Terra_Zina said:

You can use Glommers Goop as fertilizer. Idk WHY you would use it for that, but hey.

You would use it for that if you're playing Warly, you are starving and need crops asap and your only teammate is Wormwood. Done that. :'D

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2019 at 1:15 AM, The 2C3D said:

088215AC-A42A-45A0-B0B7-63079EE82804.thumb.jpeg.40d3ace564d7952dbf37157798faa571.jpeg

snip!

To expand upon this,

You can expediate the catching of a rabbit via trap using the same principles.

1. Ensure that the rabbit in question is a far enough distance from its' home to facilitate the proper deployment of a trap. If in case it is too near, check another hole, or wait for it tostep away, lest it  immediately enter the hole upon being notified of your dastardly presence.

2. Deploy the trap directly between the rabbit and its' domicile.

20190904225919_1.thumb.jpg.a368f308f74adf29589cd5d3fe3cc2a1.jpg

3. Trigger the rabbit's drive to return home out of pure panic by stepping on the circle around it that @The 2C3D has kindly described.

20190904225922_1.thumb.jpg.a26d9cf7d371a653483b37e056b4ebcc.jpg

4. Watch with glee as the rabbit blindly runs into your trap .

20190904225923_1.thumb.jpg.7a749e8ff0d02aa750257297f1598484.jpg

5. Profit! Feast on your morsels and enjoy your continued Prestihatitator patronage!

Side note: You can also use the rabbit's fear AI to immediately catch it once you evict it from it's hole with a shovel by placing a trap in it's path (which is always directly away from you) prior to digging. I shall provide screenshots at a later date.

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 2

Released fireflies remain in the same place at night.

Try to waste as little time picking twigs and grass. Find the tumbleweed biome and go to town for easy efficient resource gathering

Cooked green shrooms are great for restoring sanity especially in caves.

Not so much an unknown mechanic as key bind suggestion: Switch the F and Space key defaults. Using space for attack instead of F allows for better maneuvering while fighting. Use F to interact. Also, use Tab for map. I prefer Left Shift to Left Ctrl for force attack. 

More tips than mechanics but yeah

• Like 2

1 hour ago, galaxygonzo said:

Not so much an unknown mechanic as key bind suggestion: Switch the F and Space key defaults. Using space for attack instead of F allows for better maneuvering while fighting. Use F to interact. Also, use Tab for map. I prefer Left Shift to Left Ctrl for force attack. 

what is this player?

• Haha 4

Something i discovered:

When you are in want of houndsteeth late in the game:

1. When the signal for a hound attack begins, exit the game.

2. Relog.

3. Hounds will have already spawned onscreen, but the hound warning shall still be ongoing. (ensure that you have taken as much precautions as you have, e.g. standing near beefs or a tooth trap field)

4. Repeat as desired.

Here's a favorite of mine:

Food temperature.

Some foods in the game can raise or lower your temperature for a specific amount of time. These foods are:

Hot:

• Stuffed Eggplant - 5 seconds
  • Honey Ham - 10 seconds
  • Dragonpie - 10 seconds
  • Kabobs - 15 seconds
  • Turkey Dinner - 10 seconds
  • Spicy Chili - 15 seconds
  • Stuffed Pepper Poppers - 15 seconds
  • Hot Dragon Chili Salad - 300 seconds (5 minutes)
  • Anything with Warly's Chili Flakes - 15 seconds
  • Apple Cider (Winter's Feast) - 15 seconds
  • Hot Cocoa (Winter's Feast) - 15 seconds

Cool:

• Fruit Medley - 5 seconds
  • Ice Cream - 15 seconds
  • Melonsicle - 10 seconds
  • Banana Pop - 10 seconds
  • Ceviche - 15 seconds
  • Ice - 7.5 seconds
  • Watermelon - 5 seconds
  • Asparagazpacho - 300 seconds (5 minutes)
  • Heavenly Eggnog (Winter's Feast) - 15 seconds

I am not sure if it is outdated information or just flat out wrong, but the wiki says that these foods "increase the perceived temperature" and that is incorrect. They increase your temperature for the duration stated above. It's kind of like over-time temperature regeneration. They all give temperature at the same rate (a rate which I haven't found out yet), so how much temperature you get from each of them depends entirely on their duration. Hot Dragon Chili Salad and Asparagazpacho have a duration of 5 minutes, meaning you get this over-time temperature regeneration effect for 5 minutes, effectively making you immune to freezing or overheating for that duration (you still have very high / very low temperature whenever they're done, so they prevent freezing/overheating for way longer than 5 minutes, depending on what insulating gear you wear when they're done)

A mechanic that accompanies food temperature is food chilling. All hot foods (except Hot Dragon Chili Salad, food with Chili Flakes and anything that has no spoilage, such as Winter's Feast foods) will gain "chill" over time after being harvested from the Crockpot as long as the world's temperature is below 65 (as in, basically all the time except during summer), decreasing how effective their heating effect is until it doesn't exist anymore. Food gains chill four times as fast if stored in an icebox. You can prevent chill, however, by storing the food in Warly's Chef Pouch or the Insulated Pack.

That being said, here's how I use food temperature:

I usually play Wormwood when I'm playing DST. What I like to do every autumn is farm a TON of peppers (I use bundling wraps to store peppers for this purpose, meaning I don't really get to do this well until I kill Bee Queen) and cook about 20 Stuffed Pepper Poppers. I put them into my Insulated Pack immediately when I cook them. When winter comes, I wear a Beefalo Hat and I don't use a thermal stone. Whenever the freezing warning appears around my screen, I eat a stuffed pepper popper and that gives me heat for quite a while (not sure how long, exactly, but it's definitely more than 60 seconds). The reason I pick Stuffed Pepper Poppers specifically is that they have a long spoilage time (15 days, extended to 30 with the Insulated Pack), are easy to pass produce as Wormwood (peppers can be farmed with a birdcage (a full season of farming, starting with 20 peppers from a bundle, usually nets me about 30 peppers for the season and the meat requirement can be fulfilled with monster meat), and have the longest heat duration of all the regular heat foods. 

I find it to be a very convenient way of staying warm during Winter outside of base. The obtaining of the ingredients gives me quite a bit to do during autumn, and not having to stop what I'm doing to burn a tree or build a fire is really handy for me, especially if I'm fighting something (You will need to put that beefalo hat back on before the 15 seconds is over, though) or collecting a bunch of resources from a place with not much to burn (such as the deserts or the caves). I haven't tried using cooling food for summer as I usually just spend the summer mucking around at base or wandering in the caves.

I thought I'd share this in this thread because I have never heard of anyone go into detail on this mechanic, and because the wiki states inaccurate information about it. And I have DEFINITELY never heard of anyone farming heat food and putting it into an insulated pack for winter.

Oh, and a fun fact: There is code in the game supporting spices that give multipliers for food stats. These stats include hunger, sanity, health and, surprisingly, temperature effect and duration.

Edited by Electroely
Forgot to list non-spoiling foods as immune to chill and also added a fun fact for fun
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, GetNerfedOn said:

The best method to farm Krampus via Wicker's books:

1. Set up a large Tooth trap field on a truf patch that also spawns red birds/ snow birds.

2. Prepare armor, a Boomerang, and a melee weapon

3. prepare Birds of the World and Sleepytime Stories

4. prepare some heals and sanity regen

5. REad Birds of the world

6. Read STS

7. Start whacking the birds

8. When the birds start to wake up and the krampii haven't spawned yet, stop moving, then read BIrds of the World and STS ASAP so they don't fly off

9. When the Krampii arrive, aggro them with the boomerang if the drops in the tooth trap field do not entice them

10. repeat as desired

Very good advice.

Another way to get the krampus sacks is to farm birds near the bunnymen.  place a wall around the area  you want the birds to fall.  Wicker read your books.  Have a tele (purple staff available to tele the shadows)  then the bunnymen will kill the Krampus for you.

• Like 1

On 31/8/2019 at 6:04 PM, Brago-sama said:

He mistyped disease, a mechanic in which after a certain amount of days, most replanted plants (grass tufts, berry bushes, twig saplings) will succumb to it and start giving rot instead of thier specific resources.

Ah, i know about disease, but the mistype really confused me.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head:
- You can use gunpowder or slurtle slime to blow up 100+ stone fruit by individually placing them on ground with quick drop mod (stacked doesn't work)

- You can find out where east-west is by looking at ponds. The long way is east-west axis, and the side with a crooked corner is the nord

- if you have lava nearby, drop termals near it for full hotness termals

- wig can eat honey, eggs and taffy, and they're quite good on her

- if you have pig houses and deerclops is spawning at your base, he will always go for pig houses side first

- runs are always found on mud, after lightbulb field, snurtle mounds and lichen. The real ruins is marked by a solitary bunny hut

-You can void walk out of bounds in caves or waterwalk on surface by placing a wardrobe close to edge of map, or a 2-statue + 2 wooden gate setup close to map. Open gates, go close to statues, close the gates. To teleport back in land, type /rescue

-if you are in the dark, and have lightbulb and no light, use quick drop mod to drop light bulbs at your feet as you walk, pick up, repeat

-You can double hit all shadow creatures by disabling lag compensation in setting, hitting once, stepback as they hit you, hit second time

-rebind attack F on Alt key

-You can run koela into chester, which scares him and he runs away from chester and towards you to hit him

-it is enough to have 1 flower in a big screen area around you. When butterflies spawn based on player count on screen, they just need a vacant flower, and they will find that particular flower, which you can camp

-of someone dies, and you have touchstone and a wx, ask them to use touchstone with wx near so the lighting charges him

-moles can carry in their burrow a ton of items, and best use for mole inventory is to carry tons of turf

-in dst, buy all chest skins to make intuitive 7 chest system (gold chest is rarities, gems and gold, monster chest is animal products, white chest is spider products, black chest is minerals and rocks, travel blue chest is items and equipables, stickered chest is wood, non-stickered chest is grass, twigs and reeds)

-You can hire fire farms with 20 rope in lingo range, and you can catch with telelocator 5+ vargs in a place.

-if varg is trapped, hounds don't go far from them, they are limited by range, hence they are safe

-You can use statues or fossil fragments to make proper walls that keep mobs stuck and breaks their pathing

-flowers +4 flingo+star can perma freeze toad

-thermal stones stack, so you can easily survive winter with two thermals and no winter gear, just repair them with sewing kits

-flowers are OK to pick during boss fights, flowers regrow late game

-stone fruits respawn slowly on lunar island

-if you lack silk, make siesta lean to instead of tent, it also gives more sanity than tent, but can only be used during day

-if you really need to sleep now, but it is daytime, make a tent in caves

-if you spam click on trees or stones when mining or chipping you will do it faster because you animation cancel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

- wig can eat honey, eggs and taffy, and they're quite good on her

Wigfrid can't eat honey.

2 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

-You can void walk out of bounds in caves or waterwalk on surface by placing a wardrobe close to edge of map, or a 2-statue + 2 wooden gate setup close to map. Open gates, go close to statues, close the gates. To teleport back in land, type /rescue

Void Walking on water will result in drowning. Void Walking still works in caves but items dropped in void will just disappear, so don't drop any items and try not to die.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

-thermal stones stack, so you can easily survive winter with two thermals and no winter gear, just repair them with sewing kits

How does this work? Does it make both thermal stones lose temperature at a slower rate?

7 minutes ago, YumoS said:

if you put glow berries or light bulbs inside hutch he will glow in the dark like a lantern fish.

that's uh a very known mechanic, he even has two transformations ( spear and a one-man-band) and you trigger them by having a lightbulb inside him.